Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2018 11:26 am

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 237. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

51%
No

14%
Pizza is yummy

35%
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6104 posts
1323 upvotes
I'm still following this thread...just staying quiet so as to not over-repeat things. I'm sorry to those of you who experienced pain ( @kjs, @Skatanic ); it reminds me that no one should overstate the benefits of any biological procedure. Stay hydrated, keep good nutrition, and use preservative-free lubricant drops liberally.

Were you guys taking oral Advil or Aleve (with meals) as well? It has a different mode of action to Demerol or any other opioid-based pain medication (which should only be taken as needed)...oral Advil around the clock for the first 3 days is something PLEC told us to do to help prevent onset of pain.

The prevention of pain is easier to manage than trying to chase and treat it after it comes, so it should always be part of the strategy.
tgreen2017 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 5:09 pm
Unfortunately, that is not the case :( The optometrist works closely with Nvision, and one of the optometrists in the practice actually works at Nvision and recommended me Smartsurface.
On the plus side, I can read for 1-2 hours a day before my eyes are super strained! Any tips on increasing that time? I already have flux/night shade on 24/7, and wear sunglasses occasionally indoors.
I don't think I have any tips for you that you likely haven't heard already. Every 15 minutes or so, allow your eyes to "rest" and look out a window, or into the far distance--I forget this a lot and kind of "abuse" my eyes with long periods of near vision activity (hence probably my myopia to begin with.)

Reading glasses may help, as burnt69 mentioned. It reduces your eye muscles from having to strain from near vision accommodation.

Non-preservative lubricant eye drops, liberally...

*If post-surgery, NVision provided the Blink bottle drops, please note that they are preserved, so maximum is 4 times a day.

I was 20/30 for my first month as well. My vision stabilized at the ~2.5 month mark...my 1-year checkup showed I'm 20/25 in my left eye and 20/20 in my right. My right eye is also the one that healed slower. I still have mild starbursts at night when looking at bright lights or headlights, and they are probably here to stay, but I remain super happy with my surgery.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
685 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 3:27 pm
*If post-surgery, NVision provided the Blink bottle drops, please note that they are preserved, so maximum is 4 times a day.
Sounds like the "Blink bottle drops" supplied may have been altered through the addition of Tetracaine or Proporacaine. Tetracaine, an anesthetic, is particularly effective at stopping pain, but will basically stop the healing in its tracks as well (and significant use could even cause pretty severe corneal damage, as was the documented case of a medical doctor who obtained her own supplies and self-medicated herself to permanent blindness*!).

* there was even an article that I came across in one of the trade publications that recommended that patients not even be told what the medication is, out of fear that they might manipulate family/friends/doctors for additional supplies during a PRK recovery!
Last edited by burnt69 on Jan 22nd, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6104 posts
1323 upvotes
lol I'm not a fan of the idea of mystery drops...but if the Blink bottle contains analgesic or anaesthetic, then maximum use per day would be even more restricted, like 1-2 times a day only. Disappointed But Relieved Face
Feb 6, 2012
48 posts
10 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
I'm back too. Had the surgery same day on Thurs Jan. 18th morning. Surprisingly I had no pain, just a sand in the eyes feeling day 1-2 (I did take 2 advil both these days). On 1 day follow up, my optomotrist said my eyes look as if it was day 4, and almost ready to take off the BCL, and heeling well. I had 20/40 vision, which he also said was excellent, and rare. Day 2, no pain (or sand feeling), and eyes felt fully normal from this point and never had any strange feeling afterwards. Only thing is my vision went lot worse than before I needed surgery, and 1 day post sugery (-.75 prescription with little astrimatism). When I went in on day 4 BCL removal, my prescription measured 20/70, also this day I had slight haze/halo/double effects, which cleared up 1-2 days later. After removing BCL, there was no difference, and remained 20/70 day 2-3, and some point in the day it gets little more clear and then back down, so pretty unstable. After day 5 my vision got lot better, comparible to 20/30 or 20/40, but things not as sharp at night or when wearing sunglasses, maybe it's normal, as I heard night vision takes longer. I can see text far away at night which wasn't the case before, so glad with the result so far, and taht I can drive within only 4-5 days!

Later today is my 1 week checkup, and will confirm where I am at. Thanks again for all the info shared here which was very helpful.

Skatanic wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 2:03 pm
So I am back, my surgery was the morning of Jan 18th. My initial prescription was -7 with a very minor astigmatism.

Personally, I felt like I overestimated the difficulty of the surgery, but underestimated the pain of recovery. The surgery was a breeze, lasting a couple minutes. Everything is happening so close to your eye that it is difficult to really tell whats going on anyways. No sweat.

For me, my eyes started watering on the way home, and continued to get worse. Thursday night I got an OK sleep, but by Friday morning the pain was noticeable. I had my post op check up and was unable to read anything on the eye chart. My optometrist noticed my pain and told me "things would be better tomorrow". He was right, but what he didn't say was that they get worse first! That night was the most painful, and I ended up getting very little sleep. The tears would constantly well up under my eyelids and create pressure on my eye, causing pain. The tears would eventually stream out down my face and wake me up. I never did end up taking the pain-killing drop, but I couldn't imagine going through that without Demerol.

By Saturday morning both my sight and the pain began to improve. My GF and I watched (her) and listened (me) to a bunch of comedy specials on Netflix. It is a great activity when only one party can see!

Today I went to have the bandage lenses removed, and that was the last item causing discomfort. Currently my vision is 20/30. My epithelium has healed with a ridge in the middle causing a bit of distortion (this is normal).

If anyone has questions on TransPRK at Nvision let me know. Thanks to everyone above for providing info prior to the surgery!
Feb 6, 2012
48 posts
10 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Did my 1 week post op today after Smart Surf PRK, and my vision is 20/20 in each eye, and 20/15 when using both eyes (see some letters at 20/15 not all). I was originally -.5 with some astigmatism. I was also recommended to use eye drops every hour when using computer constantly (at work).
Nov 25, 2007
226 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, that's excellent after only 1 week! Congratulations, microsyn!

What was your prescription before the surgery? Thanks.
Feb 23, 2004
904 posts
142 upvotes
Surprisingly, I had perfectly clear vision in my left eye from days 15-18. It has gone back to being hazy now though because I’ve come down with a cold and I think the antihistamines are drying out my eyes a bit. It was nice while it lasted though!
Feb 6, 2012
48 posts
10 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Before surgery I was -0.75 both eyes with Right -125/125 & Left -100/80 astigmatism
raptorsfans wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 11:25 am
Wow, that's excellent after only 1 week! Congratulations, microsyn!

What was your prescription before the surgery? Thanks.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10368 posts
720 upvotes
Toronto
Went to my 6 months post SmartSurfACE PRK check up today and was determined to be 20/20 with some residual astigmatism (same as my 3 months check up) in both eyes. I told the optometrist I've been off all eye drops for a while but she recommended staying on them throughout the winter months just because it's drier.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
685 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 6:44 pm
Went to my 6 months post SmartSurfACE PRK check up today and was determined to be 20/20 with some residual astigmatism (same as my 3 months check up) in both eyes. I told the optometrist I've been off all eye drops for a while but she recommended staying on them throughout the winter months just because it's drier.
I stayed on the Omega-3s for an extended period of time, but at a lower dose, and that took care of my dryness problems. Still on them even a year later.

There were a couple nights last week that I used some left-over ointment, but that was because I spent a lot of time outside in the cold/dry wind.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6104 posts
1323 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 6:44 pm
Has the haze from earlier in the recovery period cleared up?
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10368 posts
720 upvotes
Toronto
peanutz wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 7:23 pm
Has the haze from earlier in the recovery period cleared up?
Yep, a while ago actually.
Jun 30, 2012
12 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
Does anyone have any thoughts on PRK @ Coal Harbour? I recently did my consultation at PLEC, London Eye and Coal Harbour and felt the best about Coal Harbour. I know there are a lot of positive reviews about PLEC but I was a little put-off by their entire process. Dr. Holland himself was very nice, but everyone else was pretty rude and seemed to shovel through everything as fast as possible.

My prescription is currently -6.5 left and -6.0 right and I was told by both Coal Harbour and London that my cornea is a bit thinner than average.

Pricing was $1950/eye (+ drops & follow ups) at PLEC, $1600/eye at Coal Harbour and $1500/eye at London for PRK. While price is not the determining factor for me, I have heard that it's pretty easy to get London Eye down by $500 with a referral, and that Coal Harbour price matches as well, but I have not tried yet.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
685 upvotes
c1aire wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 8:26 pm
Does anyone have any thoughts on PRK @ Coal Harbour? I recently did my consultation at PLEC, London Eye and Coal Harbour and felt the best about Coal Harbour. I know there are a lot of positive reviews about PLEC but I was a little put-off by their entire process. Dr. Holland himself was very nice, but everyone else was pretty rude and seemed to shovel through everything as fast as possible.
Haven't heard anything negative about Coal Harbor. Dr. Kirzner apparently isn't afraid to reject unsuitable or minimally suitable patients. And they now have a newer laser, the Wavelight EX500, which can fully treat large pupils.

The advantage PLEC has over Coal Harbor for a 'normal' patient is in the laser, ie: the first week of recovery will be significantly easier with SmartSurfACE PRK, than it is with one of Dr. Kirzner's alcohol-assisted PRKs.

Is this worth $1500 more, for less discomfort at PLEC, versus more discomfort at Coal Harbor? You'd need to determine that for yourself. But your outcome should be identical, once you're all healed up.

Here's a recent online review of someone who did PRK @ Coal Harbor:

Might give you some feeling for the sort of discomfort involved. Whereas with SmartSurfACE, for instance, in my case, there really was only a day that I was pretty useless in terms of doing computer work.

My prescription is currently -6.5 left and -6.0 right and I was told by both Coal Harbour and London that my cornea is a bit thinner than average.
What colour are your eyes? The reason why someone might want to avoid London (which, AFAIK, may actually be part of the LASIK MD chain these days) is because of their use of an older laser which is limited to a 6.5mm optical zone diameter. If you have huge blue eyed pupils like I do, this is a concern. If you have small dark pupils, then it might be a complete non-issue.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)