Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2018 6:48 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 252. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

13%
Pizza is yummy

34%
Oct 25, 2017
2 posts
1 upvote
I just wanted to let everyone know and provide my feedback after my surgery.

I completed my monivision surgery at Nvision in Toronto. I also mentioned JustinLaw was a friend of mine and they gave me a $100 discount! Thanks Justin!!

I ended up going with Nvision because of the technology and the surgeon's experience. Although Bochner and Herzig are well known and experienced I felt that their outdated technology was not something that would make sense for me especially if I'm looking for the best for my money which was actually lower at Nvision.

I had surgery early January and completed my consult in December. Everything was great. I did go to the other places to check them out but like others have said I felt more comfortable at Nvision and they also did a lot more testing.

I'm about 1.5 months after surgery. I'm seeing very well 20/20. Very happy with my choice of mono vision as well, I adapted very quickly! If any has any question please let me know. This place has been a great resource and want to ensure I pay it forward.
Nov 26, 2009
12 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
kiloohm wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 7:59 am
This has been a very informative thread...

About 7 years ago, I went for a free consultation at Lasik MD in Montreal. I was recommended the custom wavefront lasik. I never went through with the procedure as I was barely out of school and didn't really have the funds to support this elective surgery.

Fast forward to 2017 and I think I'm ready for this. I do have hyperopia (about +4.00 in both eyes) which makes me doing anything without my contacts or glasses almost impossible. Getting glasses is also a challenge as with this prescription, I am extremely limited in the shape of lenses if I don't want to be wearing coke bottles.

I do understand that with hyperopia, there is a chance I will need glasses again in a few years (perhaps 10 years) but hopefully it won't be as bad as a +4.00 and all I'll need is readers.
Quick update on my situation since there are not a lot of post in this thread about hyperopia. I went for a consult today at Nvision in Toronto. Went through all the tests and then had a long discussion with the doctor. She explained that they normally prefer LASIK over PRK for hyperopia patients except for strong prescriptions where PRK may be more advisable. In my case however, I'm beyond the limits and she didn't recommend laser eye surgery as a primary treatment method. My current prescription is +4.5 in both eyes + astigmatism. The doctor said that to correct this, they would have to steepen the shape of my eye to much which would make me prone to complications and dry eyes.

Final verdict, she recommended Phakic Interocular Lenses or implantable contact lenses to correct the +4.5 followed 3 months later by LASIK to correct the astigmatism. To my surprise, she actually said that the recovery for this procedure is actually faster than LASIK or PRK and I should see clearly within a few days. Only restriction is not heavy lifting for a week and no pool/hot tub for a month. From a price perspective, this is a more expensive solution at $8,000 for the implantable contact lenses. They then perform the LASIK for free as an enhancement.
Feb 14, 2018
4 posts
raptorsfans wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 9:06 am
Sorry, it was a typo. The pre-surgery prescription should be -7.00 & -7.75 for her right and left eyes (instead of -0.7000 & -0.775).
Now that is a big difference! Thanks for the update.
Dec 31, 2016
32 posts
4 upvotes
Did you end up going for ICL?

I am myopic and am most likely going for the procedure. Will post my experiences here for anyone else who is considering the surgery. It seems like a much less popular option on this thread.
Dec 5, 2017
22 posts
4 upvotes
ohfive wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 9:10 am
Did you end up going for ICL?

I am myopic and am most likely going for the procedure. Will post my experiences here for anyone else who is considering the surgery. It seems like a much less popular option on this thread.
Had a family member who had ICL with Herzig and another in Alberta. Very high prescriptions. Where are you having it done?
Dec 31, 2016
32 posts
4 upvotes
How were their experiences with ICL? Any issues with glare or side effects? I wonder if the price is comparable. I was quoted $7600 total with Bochner.
Dec 5, 2017
22 posts
4 upvotes
ohfive wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 11:04 am
How were their experiences with ICL? Any issues with glare or side effects? I wonder if the price is comparable. I was quoted $7600 total with Bochner.
From what I know they are both happy. I can't speak for the haloes or glare after surgery. I don't know cost but I know it was more expensive than me and my wife laser.
Nov 26, 2009
12 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
I will be doing ICL at NVision, just trying to decide if it will be this year or first thing next year as my insurance will cover a significant portion if I wait next year.
Dec 31, 2016
32 posts
4 upvotes
kiloohm wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 11:03 pm
I will be doing ICL at NVision, just trying to decide if it will be this year or first thing next year as my insurance will cover a significant portion if I wait next year.
How much is NVision charging for this?
And did you decide to do ICL because you weren’t a candidate for LASIK or otherwise?
Oct 22, 2017
30 posts
24 upvotes
i haven't been back to the thread in a while, was moving and was super busy but wanted to provide an update on my brother's surgery in January. he had it don't mid month, i think it was January 18th. i was there with him. everything went well, he healed very quickly just like myself, he's currently 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other. He's healing like a super human or something. Was hoping for 20/20 but wow is he doing well. He did say it wasn't very comfortable for the first few days and he doesn't drive so he didn't have any feedback on that but seems to me he's doing very well. his script wasn't much, -2.75 with -1.25 astigmatism and -3.0 with -1.0 astigmatism. he said once he got out of surgery he could already see very well which i guess is one of the benefits of smartsurface although it was comfortable.

we ended up going to costco for all the meds and it was worth the savings. you don't even need a membership to use their pharmacy, althought i have one he didn't but we were told you can just let them know that youre going to the pharmacy and they let you in.

all in all, i myself had a great experience at Nvision. since he got it done his girlfriend is now interested. thank you to everyone here for al their knowledge and for lending their experiences on here. myself and my brother are very thankful for all the info posted. I'll continue to come back one in a while and post if there are any changes. For those who were able to take advantage of the $100 discount, im glad it worked. never hurts to ask or to mention so why not? take you and your significant other out for a steak dinner after youre healed up!
Dec 9, 2017
10 posts
2 upvotes
Has anyone had experience with blurry vision after LASIK? The blurriness is not solved by putting in eye drops, leading me to believe it is an undercorrection issue, not a dryness issue.

Would love to see any recovery timelines experienced by people who had LASIK. I know most see 20/20 in both eyes the day after, but are there cases where an eye has been blurry for a few days/weeks then magically recovered (where the underlying issue WASN'T due to dryness)?
Oct 22, 2017
30 posts
24 upvotes
Hi StreetFood,

adavan just helps settle your nerves which they gave me before surgery from what i remember. They did give me Demerol though which helps with the pain. I don't think youre going to be eating too much, i'd eat a few hours before surgery and i'd try not to have anything in your stomach because some people get really dizzy from adavan. Demerol is a narcotic i believe so it's like very strong Tylenol 3 but more powerful. I only took 1 night of surgery which helped me fall asleep. I also used their comfort drops which helps numb everything. Don't use to much though. only a few drops to help you close your eyes and spend as much time sleeping. that's how i spent more first few days. Try not to strain your eyes and keep in min youll have a contact lens in your eye too, so it will feel uncomfortable and vision will be blurry anyways. i ate semisoft easy to digest foods like fruit salads. Soups are good but not overly watery because you don't want to have to get up every half hour to go pee, although i did drink a moderate amount of water. didn't want my eyes dry either.

no alcohol i'd say which also makes you pee and is a diuretic. that's my advice.
Feb 25, 2018
2 posts
Hi Everyone, I thought I'd share my experience as well since I've been lurking in this thread for a while.

i had Smartsurface prk done at Nvision last Thursday, Dr, Machat and his staff were very nice and made me feel very much at ease about the whole thing. I didn't feel any pain with the bandage contact lenses in, but it was very uncomfortable (scratchy and irritated) for me and I had difficulty opening my eyes on day 1-2 after surgery and would tear up with any eye movement.

I had my bandage contact lenses removed today and my optometrist said my recovery so far has been good. i'm not feeling any discomfort anymore maybe just a little dryness. i'm seeing about 20/50 today but my optometrist says it'll still improve over the month so I'm not too worried. i had -7.50 (left) and -8.25 (right) before the surgery. I had "double vision" (or ghosting?) the day after surgery, but I'm experiencing very little of that now.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6154 posts
1335 upvotes
StreetFoodFanBoy wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 11:37 am
Hi everyone, I have surgery scheduled on march 5th, i'm getting SmartSurface transPRK done. Looking for advice for parking at NVISION. Also, were you guys able to eat drink normally after the surgery? like after you take the adavan? I haven't taken it before?
Can't help with the parking advice personally but I'm sure you can call NVision to ask about it? They might have dedicated spots, or like, a parking discount sign to put in your car.

Yes, you should be able to eat and drink normally after the surgery, but as JustinLaw said, moderate any alcohol as it can interact with any opioid pain medications you might need in the first 2 days, and it can contribute to dehydration.

The Ativan should make you feel a bit sleepy right after the surgery, so you'll probably want to take a nap. Eat and drink lightly if you want something before a nap, no alcohol at this time as well.
Oct 22, 2017
30 posts
24 upvotes
how long ago was your surgery? and your eyes do still change after 20 but not by much. If you had surgery do you have a warranty of some sort? might be covered? From what i understand if you had custom lasik and your eyes changed from when they did the testing and completed the mapping then the laser would be off. i know they warned me not to use contacts during a certain time before surgery as it can have short term affects on the shape of your eye.