Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2018 11:48 am

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 276. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

52%
No

14%
Pizza is yummy

33%
Mar 7, 2009
17 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
StreetFoodFanBoy wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 11:37 am
Hi everyone, I have surgery scheduled on march 5th, i'm getting SmartSurface transPRK done. Looking for advice for parking at NVISION. Also, were you guys able to eat drink normally after the surgery? like after you take the adavan? I haven't taken it before?
PRK is done on Thursdays so therefore you will not be able to use street parking by meter as it's mostly reserved for loading vehicles until 4pm on weekdays. There is a nearby street that has limited 1-hour parking spots 8-6, but depending on the time of your surgery (mine was 7am) it's not available to you yet. Therefore, I think using the Green P lot nearby is best - it's pricey but it's your only option.
Mar 7, 2009
17 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to join in - based on this giant thread I opted for PRK at Nvision and had it done on the 22nd.

I did not end up buying/using Demerol (though script was offered), just regular advil. Sleeping on the night of Day 1 was rough as the pain woke me up often through the night. By mid-way through Day 2 the pain subsided.

Day 3 with my BCL removal i was legally allowed to drive, confirmed by the optometrist.

Today is Day 4 (if surgery is Day 0) and Screen text is still fuzzy so I use a larger font and try to keep screen time to a minimum but it's tolerable.

They are a busy clinic and I would recommend calls/emails just to confirm appointments (pre-test, remapping, actual surgery) etc. as their office never sent out reminder emails or notices or calls.

Curious if anyone here is researching SMILE? I was not a candidate due to my astigmatism, and Lasik out due to my contact sports (Muay Thai, getting punched and kicked in the face)
Feb 14, 2018
4 posts
CinnamonThornton wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 12:28 pm
I just wanted to let everyone know and provide my feedback after my surgery.

I completed my monivision surgery at Nvision in Toronto. I also mentioned JustinLaw was a friend of mine and they gave me a $100 discount! Thanks Justin!!

I ended up going with Nvision because of the technology and the surgeon's experience. Although Bochner and Herzig are well known and experienced I felt that their outdated technology was not something that would make sense for me especially if I'm looking for the best for my money which was actually lower at Nvision.

I had surgery early January and completed my consult in December. Everything was great. I did go to the other places to check them out but like others have said I felt more comfortable at Nvision and they also did a lot more testing.

I'm about 1.5 months after surgery. I'm seeing very well 20/20. Very happy with my choice of mono vision as well, I adapted very quickly! If any has any question please let me know. This place has been a great resource and want to ensure I pay it forward.
I would be interested in knowing what your prescription was. Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is your age group? I am just over 50 and is considering surgery. Thanks.
Dec 5, 2017
22 posts
4 upvotes
Why would you consider PRK at 50 years old or over? It is a long recovery with fluctuations...
Jan 29, 2018
67 posts
8 upvotes
Hi all, just looking to get clarification on something . I noticed many people here are getting monovision, or correcting just one eye for seeing far.
Is this because if doing the surgery on both eyes, the chance of needing reading glasses becomes earlier than not doing the surgery?
Vs. not treating one eye, and not needing reading glasses til much later since not getting surgery done on that eye?

I'm in my low 30s, and did PRK on both eyes for seeing far..and wondered if I should have just done one eye.
Had "mild" prescription of -.75 in both eyes with some astigmatism.
Thanks.

Also for anyone wondering, I had my 1 month checkup after TransPRK last week, and i can see some letters at 15/20, but otherwise at 20/20 both eyes.
And using computers have not been a problem..and been less dependent on tear drops (was using almost every hour before when using computer).
Dec 5, 2017
22 posts
4 upvotes
thadsan wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 11:05 am
Hi all, just looking to get clarification on something . I noticed many people here are getting monovision, or correcting just one eye for seeing far.
Is this because if doing the surgery on both eyes, the chance of needing reading glasses becomes earlier than not doing the surgery?
Vs. not treating one eye, and not needing reading glasses til much later since not getting surgery done on that eye?

I'm in my low 30s, and did PRK on both eyes for seeing far..and wondered if I should have just done one eye.
Had "mild" prescription of -.75 in both eyes with some astigmatism.
Thanks.

Also for anyone wondering, I had my 1 month checkup after TransPRK last week, and i can see some letters at 15/20, but otherwise at 20/20 both eyes.
And using computers have not been a problem..and been less dependent on tear drops (was using almost every hour before when using computer).
Vision would probably be better for distance if you have both eyes done and with a small prescription like that you are obviously gearing towards having sharp distance. You are probably too young to worry about the reading but you could have opted to do one eye and see if you were happy with that (plus it would have saved you money).
Last edited by catchjosephnow on Mar 2nd, 2018 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 5, 2017
22 posts
4 upvotes
greanie wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 5:51 pm
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to join in - based on this giant thread I opted for PRK at Nvision and had it done on the 22nd.

I did not end up buying/using Demerol (though script was offered), just regular advil. Sleeping on the night of Day 1 was rough as the pain woke me up often through the night. By mid-way through Day 2 the pain subsided.

Day 3 with my BCL removal i was legally allowed to drive, confirmed by the optometrist.

Today is Day 4 (if surgery is Day 0) and Screen text is still fuzzy so I use a larger font and try to keep screen time to a minimum but it's tolerable.

They are a busy clinic and I would recommend calls/emails just to confirm appointments (pre-test, remapping, actual surgery) etc. as their office never sent out reminder emails or notices or calls.

Curious if anyone here is researching SMILE? I was not a candidate due to my astigmatism, and Lasik out due to my contact sports (Muay Thai, getting punched and kicked in the face)
My wife and brother had SMILE. Both super happy with the results.
Jan 29, 2018
67 posts
8 upvotes
Yes I wanted good enough vision for night driving ...also with people in the 40s getting mono vision..wouldn't the one corrected for reading change as getting older...and requiring re treatment/or glasses again? (i guess this can be said for us fixing both eyes for nearsightness but chances are lower right).

And anyone that did it long ago...or anyone believe getting any lasik/prk done makes you needing reading glasses sooner? For example early 40s. vs not getting it done where you may not have needed it with your natural eyes until closer to 50s?
catchjosephnow wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2018 9:16 am
Vision would probably be better for distance if you have both eyes done and with a small prescription like that you are obviously gearing towards having sharp distance. You are probably too young to worry about the reading but you could have opted to do one eye and see if you were happy with that (plus it would have saved you money).
Dec 20, 2017
21 posts
12 upvotes
@peanutz @burnt69
Hey guys!

What are your thoughts on NVision taking out BCL at 3 days? (I remember reading that PLEC patients took them off in 5-7 days)

Also, what do you think about the FML tapering? You guys were off FML within 5 weeks, right? From the recent posts, it seems like NVision prescribes them for much longer (3-4 months?)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6268 posts
1421 upvotes
ttmkactus wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2018 9:03 pm
@peanutz @burnt69
Hey guys!

What are your thoughts on NVision taking out BCL at 3 days? (I remember reading that PLEC patients took them off in 5-7 days)

Also, what do you think about the FML tapering? You guys were off FML within 5 weeks, right? From the recent posts, it seems like NVision prescribes them for much longer (3-4 months?)
NVision may be using different BCLs than PLEC. If they were being taken out prematurely at 3 days (i.e. the epithelium hadn't closed yet), then people would be reporting that their eyes would be scratchy and irritated. So I'm not concerned, both clinics may be using the proper time for their brand.

Relatedly, NVision's different taper was based off of their choice of steroid drops, NOT FML. It's buried in the thread somewhere, but I double-checked it and it was based on a study that showed that NVision's taper schedule is appropriate for the one they are prescribing. :)
Feb 25, 2018
2 posts
How long did it take you guys to go back to your normal routine of computer use? Nvision's handout said no excessive use of tv/computers for the first week. I asked my optometrist at the one week check up and she said that screen usage will dry out eyes but it's fine as long as I take frequent breaks (like every half hour) and use lubricating eye drops.

However, some of the posts i found online seem to indicate that you shouldn't use computers/tv for a month after prk? or else it will hinder your ability to recover to good vision.
I'm scheduled to go back to work two and half weeks after surgery, where I would be on the computer for 8 hours a day, so now I'm a little scared...
Banned
Oct 22, 2017
33 posts
24 upvotes
hi Moanna, yeah agreed. I had TransPRK and I think it's more of a precaution. You can definitely read and use screen but yes straining your eyes is obviously not the best if you want them to heal. I was driving by night 3 so I guess it's all dependent on your healing situation but I think its more a precaution. I like your optometrist's advice though. Lubricate and limit your eye strain.

I was at Nvision yesterday to pick up a receipt for tax purposes as I lost mine and I overheard the office manager speaking to another manager about a promotion? My patient counsellor no longer works there but I spoke to the receptionist Paige which I believe is one of the surgeon's daughters (Dr. Jeff Machat) and they mentioned they have some promo they are launching soon. Something for the SCHWIND laser and would include anything using SmartPulse. I asked if it included SmartSurfACE and she said she would e-mail me the details once she got it. I have 2 cousins who are looking for surgery so I told them I would love to get the info. Once I get what the promo is about I will post it here.

I know someone was asking about parking. Yes there is paring on the street but its only 1 hour limit. I actually got a ticket on there because I took my time to get back to the car. Theres a citi park that I use that is just past the hazelton and Yorkville intersection right before avenue heading west. Its a left turn to get into it but you can also access it from Cumberland heading east. That's your best choice. I think the upper most deck also has some discounted price before a certain time, I remember seeing it but not sure of the details.
Oct 23, 2012
236 posts
106 upvotes
Brampton
This is my prescription, and I'm not sure if I should even bother checking if I'm a candidate. Can anybody let me know if it's worth checking
Dec 20, 2017
21 posts
12 upvotes
bigfun3 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 12:59 am
This is my prescription, and I'm not sure if I should even bother checking if I'm a candidate. Can anybody let me know if it's worth checking
Has your prescription been stable for at least 12 months? AKA received same prescription two times (12 months apart)?
Oct 23, 2012
236 posts
106 upvotes
Brampton
ttmkactus wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 1:13 am
Has your prescription been stable for at least 12 months? AKA received same prescription two times (12 months apart)?
Hasn't been a year to check, but my prescription was slightly worse than last time I went, but the last time I was, was 2.5 years a part from my last presecription. I will check agian in summer when it has been a full year, and see if no changes happen