Beauty & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2018 3:55 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 226. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

52%
No

15%
Pizza is yummy

34%
Oct 23, 2012
212 posts
102 upvotes
Brampton
ttmkactus wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 1:13 am
Has your prescription been stable for at least 12 months? AKA received same prescription two times (12 months apart)?
Hasn't been a year to check, but my prescription was slightly worse than last time I went, but the last time I was, was 2.5 years a part from my last presecription. I will check agian in summer when it has been a full year, and see if no changes happen
Dec 20, 2017
21 posts
11 upvotes
bigfun3 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 1:52 am
Hasn't been a year to check, but my prescription was slightly worse than last time I went, but the last time I was, was 2.5 years a part from my last presecription. I will check agian in summer when it has been a full year, and see if no changes happen
Mhm! Sounds like a good idea :p
A stable prescription is one of the fundamentals for being a good candidate. Why? Because even if they fix your vision to 20/20, if your prescription isn't stable, that means your eyes are still changing.. so that 20/20 can go down.

Of course, the longer you've been stable, the better Thumbs Up Sign
Feb 20, 2018
2 posts
3 upvotes
I had my PRK surgery on the 5th of March. It was amazing. I was able to see a difference right after surgery. The whole process was nerve racking but after speaking to the Jeff Machat I felt very reassured everything would go well. Of course it did. No issues. the whole surgery took only a couple of minutes. Very Very fast, and its faster than LASIK apparently. I got my bandage contact removal done last week and as everyone stated, vision and irritation goes away very quickly after they take it out.

So happy I went with the surgery. Thank you to everyone here who provided their recommendation and advice. JustinLaw I didn't see your message in time but I asked the receptionists at NVISION and they told me about the rooftop parking price for CitiPark parkade also, so I ended up doing that anyways!!

My vision is healing very quickly as my optometrist says. Honestly... I am so thrilled about everything. It's only been a week but the whole idea of seeing 20/20 by end of month is very encouraging. I'm legal to drive now after 1 week healing. When I was there, there were quite a few people getting surgery done as well. They said they also had a surgery day for march 8th on Thursday booked full too because there were so many people looking to get it done. I was talking to some people in the wait room and there were quite a few people from out of town getting surgery done. One person said they were from Quebec and came here for smart surface. There was another person from London Ontario who said they had something about azeemer laser of some sort that cuts the most precise flaps for lasik or something. Not really sure what they meant because I didn't know much about the lasik surgery aspect. What really made me feel comfortable though was that there were actually 2 optometrists there getting PRK as well and they were talking to patients about the technology and the surgeon. I just remember thinking that if they are here I must be in the right place. They knew the place when it was called crystal clear vision and that they use to come do training events here and that the surgeon would show everyone how advanced his technology was and watch surgeries and they said by far this place had the best technology and one of the best surgeons in North America. Anyways, the experience was great. I will post my update in a few weeks! Thank you to everyone on this forum!
Dec 19, 2010
657 posts
152 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
sorry, not going to read through the entire thread but has anyone had laser eye surgery done and had to do it again due to sight going bad over time?
i've had my surgery done about 8 years ago and feel like it needs to be done again, having a hard time seeing certain things i feel should be easily seen.
Dec 5, 2017
21 posts
You should probably see your own doctor to see if you have regressed a little. You can always call the place you had laser eye and have them direct you the proper channels to go through. It is not uncommon to have regression from what I read.
Dec 5, 2017
21 posts
StreetFoodFanBoy wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 5:25 pm
I had my PRK surgery on the 5th of March. It was amazing. I was able to see a difference right after surgery. The whole process was nerve racking but after speaking to the Jeff Machat I felt very reassured everything would go well. Of course it did. No issues. the whole surgery took only a couple of minutes. Very Very fast, and its faster than LASIK apparently. I got my bandage contact removal done last week and as everyone stated, vision and irritation goes away very quickly after they take it out.

So happy I went with the surgery. Thank you to everyone here who provided their recommendation and advice. JustinLaw I didn't see your message in time but I asked the receptionists at NVISION and they told me about the rooftop parking price for CitiPark parkade also, so I ended up doing that anyways!!

My vision is healing very quickly as my optometrist says. Honestly... I am so thrilled about everything. It's only been a week but the whole idea of seeing 20/20 by end of month is very encouraging. I'm legal to drive now after 1 week healing. When I was there, there were quite a few people getting surgery done as well. They said they also had a surgery day for march 8th on Thursday booked full too because there were so many people looking to get it done. I was talking to some people in the wait room and there were quite a few people from out of town getting surgery done. One person said they were from Quebec and came here for smart surface. There was another person from London Ontario who said they had something about azeemer laser of some sort that cuts the most precise flaps for lasik or something. Not really sure what they meant because I didn't know much about the lasik surgery aspect. What really made me feel comfortable though was that there were actually 2 optometrists there getting PRK as well and they were talking to patients about the technology and the surgeon. I just remember thinking that if they are here I must be in the right place. They knew the place when it was called crystal clear vision and that they use to come do training events here and that the surgeon would show everyone how advanced his technology was and watch surgeries and they said by far this place had the best technology and one of the best surgeons in North America. Anyways, the experience was great. I will post my update in a few weeks! Thank you to everyone on this forum!
Sounds like a really a good experience. I didn't have same impression of Dr. Machat and did not like that he works out of multiples offices and lives somewhere in California.
Pretty good to hear that Optometrists trust him with their eyes.
Jan 29, 2018
59 posts
8 upvotes
Just wondered how long people who had Smartsurf PRK were using tear drops? It says use as needed after two months. I'm at two months mark now, and it seems my natural tears is fully back and no need for tear ..should I still randomly be using it? Thanks.
Jan 29, 2018
59 posts
8 upvotes
ttmkactus wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 1:45 pm
Hey @thadsan, just wondering: did you do your transPRK at NVision? SmartSurfACE with Dr. Machat?
Yes that's right
Dec 20, 2017
21 posts
11 upvotes
Ah, I see :p looks like a lot of people did their procedure with Dr. Machat in January!

Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2773 posts
251 upvotes
Coal harbour use to be the place to go for good price and a good surgeon. Is that still true here?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2773 posts
251 upvotes
I have watched this thread for so many years. I haven't read the recent posts, I am very hard on money but I can't handle my eyes being such crap anymore. My eyes cannot be corrected properly with glasses or contacts. -4.75 and -4.50 with a bad astigmatism. I am from Winnipeg but everyone seemed to go to Coal Harbour in B.C. for their eye surgery here...

In Winnipeg, the surgery is even MORE expensive, very frustrating for someone who doesn't have much wealth, of all places I don't understand why we seem to be the most expensive? Is Coal Harbour still the best bang for your buck? It looks like their price has gone up like $800 per eye since the last time I checked...
Dec 20, 2017
21 posts
11 upvotes
vorthex wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 5:49 pm
I have watched this thread for so many years. I haven't read the recent posts, I am very hard on money but I can't handle my eyes being such crap anymore. My eyes cannot be corrected properly with glasses or contacts. -4.75 and -4.50 with a bad astigmatism. I am from Winnipeg but everyone seemed to go to Coal Harbour in B.C. for their eye surgery here...

In Winnipeg, the surgery is even MORE expensive, very frustrating for someone who doesn't have much wealth, of all places I don't understand why we seem to be the most expensive? Is Coal Harbour still the best bang for your buck? It looks like their price has gone up like $800 per eye since the last time I checked...
Most recently, SmartSurfACE transPRK (with Corneal Wavefront) has been talked about in great detail.

This procedure is only available in a few locations in Canada.
Toronto, Vancouver, and Quebec (from what I recall), on a Schwind Amaris 750 and/or 1050.

I'd say about page 170+ is where it starts xD or wherever burnt69 and peanutz started posting in this thread.

They've been on this thread for 1+ years, giving post op. updates o: and they reeeaaally did their research xD quite thoroughly, it looks like o: so.. good read! Would recommend Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Money-wise, I think PRK costs more than Lasik.. but (for PRK) Vancouver is cheaper than Toronto.

Which procedure would suit you better depends on your lifestyle (ex. Do you play sports? Etc)

But generally PRK is the more conservative approach, regarding how much corneal tissue is removed o: and if something went wrong with your LASIK, they usually fix it with PRK.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
5993 posts
1226 upvotes
thadsan wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 1:39 pm
Just wondered how long people who had Smartsurf PRK were using tear drops? It says use as needed after two months. I'm at two months mark now, and it seems my natural tears is fully back and no need for tear ..should I still randomly be using it? Thanks.
Well since you'll be having regular checkups with your optometrist until the 6 month mark, you should ask their opinion. For example, some people may not feel that their eyes are dry, but in a professional's opinion when they look at the eyes, they might see that they are dry.

In my case, I decreased my needs at around the 10-12 month mark. I started out with slightly dry eyes before the surgery, anyway. I still try to use them at least once a day, primarily before sleeping in order to "take care" of them.
vorthex wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 5:49 pm

Surgery there is more expensive due to lack of competition...it seems that the Vancouver region has the most competitive clinics.

Also, I'm not sure but someone upthread may have mentioned that Coal Harbour was recently bought out by LASIK MD, or established some sort of partnership (hence, maybe the increased price.) I don't have firsthand knowledge of their reputation or standards.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2773 posts
251 upvotes
How much are you guys being charged for trans PRK? thanks for the replies guys. I think there is one in Winnipeg now too.