Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2019 8:59 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 285. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

52%
No

14%
Pizza is yummy

33%
Feb 23, 2004
908 posts
167 upvotes
vorthex wrote:
Mar 24th, 2018 11:13 am
How much are you guys being charged for trans PRK? thanks for the replies guys. I think there is one in Winnipeg now too.
I paid $5,000 at NVision for transPRK + SmartSurface.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2648 posts
255 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Mar 24th, 2018 11:21 am
Make sure you look for transPRK + SmartSurface. The SmartSurface is an improvement over regular transPRK.

For my eyes in January 2017, -5.75 and -5.5 for mild astigmatism was around ~$3600-3900 at Vancouver's PLEC, but I had to also pay for plane tickets and hotel for 2-3 nights. I was quoted around $4800 in Crystal Clear Vision (now NVision) in Toronto, but they did not have SmartSurface at the time (now they do.)
Interesting. Mine are -4.75 and -4.50 and a very bad astigmatism. Now I have more questions cuz it seems like you're doing what I wanted to do.

The prices are cheaper in B.C. compared to here (at least based on normal PRK and Lasik with Wavefront and whatever) it would be easier for me to use my Air Miles, fly out and have surgery there if its cheaper. But then, what do you do for those weekly check ups?? Do they give you everything you need?

What is the smart surface part? And how is PRK different from trans PRK?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2648 posts
255 upvotes
Usually they talk about Wavefront technology in the past, has this been replaced by Smart Surface or TRANS PRK???

For the record, based on what I knew in the past I wanted PRK because its only downside really seems that its a brutal healing time compared to Lasik. I'm Caucasian too so I don't think the thickness of my lens is a problem or whatever?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1478 upvotes
vorthex wrote:
Mar 24th, 2018 5:42 pm
Interesting. Mine are -4.75 and -4.50 and a very bad astigmatism. Now I have more questions cuz it seems like you're doing what I wanted to do.

The prices are cheaper in B.C. compared to here (at least based on normal PRK and Lasik with Wavefront and whatever) it would be easier for me to use my Air Miles, fly out and have surgery there if its cheaper. But then, what do you do for those weekly check ups?? Do they give you everything you need?
You need to have a recent optometrist (local) check-up in preparation for booking a laser eye surgery especially if you're going to travel for it e.g. to Vancouver. They want to make sure that your eyes are overall healthy and that your prescription has been stable for the past few years. The communication will be done between Vancouver and yourself usually by e-mail and/or telephone (the telephones are very busy so e-mail is better)...and the local optometrist will send pre-surgery exam results to the Vancouver clinic by fax.

The same optometrist should be the one who does the local follow-up appointments after surgery...some laser eye surgery clinics may reimburse you for this; PLEC does not.
vorthex wrote:
Mar 24th, 2018 5:42 pm
What is the smart surface part? And how is PRK different from trans PRK?
SmartSurface is a laser ablation algorithm that leaves a smoother surface. PRK is a general description of surface-based ablation surgery...which traditionally involved a separate mechanical or chemical removal of the epithelium. TransPRK is a more recent technology where the laser also burns away the epithelium.

I recommend the transPRK with SmartSurface because some clinical studies have shown that regular transPRK may stress the eyes/tissues as much as, or in some ways more(?) than the older kind of PRK with mechanical or chemical removal of epithelium.

The SmartSurface advancement, leaving the smoother post-ablation surface...seems to enable the epithelium to grow back faster after the surgery. This is why statistically patients tend to recover with less pain and a bit faster (but individuals may still experience discomfort or pain and variable healing speed.)
vorthex wrote:
Mar 24th, 2018 7:23 pm
Usually they talk about Wavefront technology in the past, has this been replaced by Smart Surface or TRANS PRK???

For the record, based on what I knew in the past I wanted PRK because its only downside really seems that its a brutal healing time compared to Lasik. I'm Caucasian too so I don't think the thickness of my lens is a problem or whatever?
Wavefront describes a type of corneal mapping technology, this is different from SmartSurface (laser ablation algorithm) or transPRK style of surgery...but all aspects can be combined for your surgery.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... rV8EcRwpjw

As for the thickness of your cornea...everyone needs to get this looked at individually. If you have light colored eyes, you may have larger pupils which is another consideration that may favor PRK over LASIK.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1277 posts
92 upvotes
Ontario
I have my consult coming up at Focus Eye Centre in Ottawa. They use Intralase SBK Procedure w/Wavefront. How does this compare to the above?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1478 upvotes
Smoothie wrote:
Mar 25th, 2018 7:43 am
I have my consult coming up at Focus Eye Centre in Ottawa. They use Intralase SBK Procedure w/Wavefront. How does this compare to the above?
SBK is a type of thin flap LASIK
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2648 posts
255 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Mar 24th, 2018 10:23 pm
You need to have a recent optometrist (local) check-up in preparation for booking a laser eye surgery especially if you're going to travel for it e.g. to Vancouver. They want to make sure that your eyes are overall healthy and that your prescription has been stable for the past few years. The communication will be done between Vancouver and yourself usually by e-mail and/or telephone (the telephones are very busy so e-mail is better)...and the local optometrist will send pre-surgery exam results to the Vancouver clinic by fax.

The same optometrist should be the one who does the local follow-up appointments after surgery...some laser eye surgery clinics may reimburse you for this; PLEC does not.

SmartSurface is a laser ablation algorithm that leaves a smoother surface. PRK is a general description of surface-based ablation surgery...which traditionally involved a separate mechanical or chemical removal of the epithelium. TransPRK is a more recent technology where the laser also burns away the epithelium.

I recommend the transPRK with SmartSurface because some clinical studies have shown that regular transPRK may stress the eyes/tissues as much as, or in some ways more(?) than the older kind of PRK with mechanical or chemical removal of epithelium.

The SmartSurface advancement, leaving the smoother post-ablation surface...seems to enable the epithelium to grow back faster after the surgery. This is why statistically patients tend to recover with less pain and a bit faster (but individuals may still experience discomfort or pain and variable healing speed.)

Wavefront describes a type of corneal mapping technology, this is different from SmartSurface (laser ablation algorithm) or transPRK style of surgery...but all aspects can be combined for your surgery.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... rV8EcRwpjw

As for the thickness of your cornea...everyone needs to get this looked at individually. If you have light colored eyes, you may have larger pupils which is another consideration that may favor PRK over LASIK.
Did you get wavefront? if so why, or why not?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1277 posts
92 upvotes
Ontario
Seems like SBK is as good as PRK longterm, yet SBK has a shorter recovery?

Reading this thread it seems like PRK is preferred?
Dec 1, 2017
26 posts
13 upvotes
3 months post Smartsurface update:
Still not 20/20 yet, though I got a round of dry eyes that made me kinda glad I got PRK. The optometrist says I'm improving slowly (around 1-2 lines a month), but since he can't refract me to 20/20, it means I don't need a correction. He's been saying that 2 months in, so I really hope that's the case and not "your eyes are screwed and you need to wear special glasses" that I sometimes hear from Lasik patients. Anyone having/had similar slow recovery experience?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1478 upvotes
vorthex wrote:
Mar 25th, 2018 3:00 pm
Did you get wavefront? if so why, or why not?
To be honest, I don't know. PLEC has the option to do wavefront-guided ablations but I don't know if it was needed for my eyes.
Smoothie wrote:
Mar 26th, 2018 10:04 am
Seems like SBK is as good as PRK longterm, yet SBK has a shorter recovery?

Reading this thread it seems like PRK is preferred?
SBK is a type of (thin-flap) LASIK. You need to ask your consultants whether it would be "as good as PRK" for your eyes. It still involves a flap, so it still cuts deeper than PRK.

If the flap tears or has problems, you'll likely be doing PRK over it anyway.
Mar 28, 2018
2 posts
2 upvotes
I've been debating on getting vision correction surgery. While I feel like I would benefit from it I wanted to hear some other opinions. My prescription is fairly minor and so I wonder if the procedure is worthwhile. Age 28, -1.25 in right eye and -1.5 with -0.25 cyl and 75 axis in left eye.

I've been reading this (large) thread, and based on what I've read I wanted to confirm that the main recommendation seems to be the SmartSurfACE PRK procedure, over both LASIK and SMILE.

Lastly, does anyone know anything about the PiXL procedure I've seen some mentions of? Non-surgical vision correction. I can't find a lot of information online.
Dec 5, 2017
22 posts
4 upvotes
skylerlusc153355 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 2:40 pm
I've been debating on getting vision correction surgery. While I feel like I would benefit from it I wanted to hear some other opinions. My prescription is fairly minor and so I wonder if the procedure is worthwhile. Age 28, -1.25 in right eye and -1.5 with -0.25 cyl and 75 axis in left eye.

I've been reading this (large) thread, and based on what I've read I wanted to confirm that the main recommendation seems to be the SmartSurfACE PRK procedure, over both LASIK and SMILE.

Lastly, does anyone know anything about the PiXL procedure I've seen some mentions of? Non-surgical vision correction. I can't find a lot of information online.
No one should tell you what surgery to have. They are strictly opinions and experiences. None of these people are Ophthalmologist (I think). However, the transPRK is very popular in this forum. The newest technology and most advanced technology is hands down SMILE. LASIK and PRK have been around forever and transPRK is essentially PRK with some advancement.
You have to be careful what you read on the Internet. Visit a few of the clinics and see who you feel most comfortable with.
Dec 20, 2017
21 posts
12 upvotes
PRK is the oldest, but safest, most conservative laser eye surgery.
It has it's own technological advancements too (SmartSurfACE, transPRK, SmartPulse, etc). It is definitely not the exact same PRK done 38 years ago.

LASIK was made to combat the con of PRK: namely, longer healing time. Though, with LASIK, comes a bunch of it's own cons.

SMILE is a really new technology, but getting it now would be a risk (since it's not tested enough). You would be part of the "testing" batch. Testing as in, you will find out the long term side effects first hand (which could potentially be very scary, but who knows).

I agree that the internet has a lot of information, and it's hard to know what's right from wrong. The strongest power you hold is in your hands. The power of logic and reasoning.

You also have to know that many optometrists don't spend their free time learning about lasers and new technologies. Obsessing over them, etc.
Most people, after they get their hard earned degrees, never touch the books again. After all, why do they need to? They have their degree and can start earning money.

Just because you ask an optometrist doesn't mean you will get the most accurate information.

Surgeons, could be iffy. Since machines cost a FORTUNE, it's not like they can just throw out their current machine when a Schwind Amaris (for example) has the best and most current laser eye surgery option available at the moment. They'll have to advertise and make with what they got.

TDLR; yes, the internet is a messy place, but be weary of information you get from doctors as well. The only way you can truly be sure is to do your own research, thoroughly. Look at all the machine manufacturers, how they work, their pros and cons, patient results over years, patient satisfaction, ask trusted surgeons (obsessed with the field and technology. Maybe they've even written BOOKS on laser eye surgery? That would seem like they know their stuff). Can ask them about what they notice in patient results for each laser. What produced the best results? What procedure are they most satisfied with and why? (But asking the surgeon these questions is probably hard DX because usually you just see a nurse or optometrist for the consultation)
Nov 21, 2014
397 posts
341 upvotes
Atlantic
Taking the plunge at NVISION this Thursday. I got my prescription eye drops today: Zymar 0.3% and Pred Forte 1%.

On the script, under Jeffrey Machat's signature it said "No Substitutions" but I received a generic (ratio-Prednisolone) for the Pred Forte. Wondering if this is an issue for any of you who have gone through the procedure.
Dec 20, 2017
21 posts
12 upvotes
EasyCompany251 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2018 5:45 pm
Taking the plunge at NVISION this Thursday. I got my prescription eye drops today: Zymar 0.3% and Pred Forte 1%.

On the script, under Jeffrey Machat's signature it said "No Substitutions" but I received a generic (ratio-Prednisolone) for the Pred Forte. Wondering if this is an issue for any of you who have gone through the procedure.
That's a great question! If you end up calling to ask, can you update us?

EDIT: I think it might be an issue, since ratio-PREDNISOLONE contains preservatives! But we'll see what others say :')
EDIT: Actually, Pred Forte contains preservatives too Thinking Face