Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2018 4:05 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 257. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

14%
Pizza is yummy

33%
Dec 20, 2017
21 posts
11 upvotes
catchjosephnow wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 9:47 am
Why would you need to wear sunglasses for 6 months outdoors for? What is the purpose of that?
It is to prevent post-operative PRK haze.

Ah, and it is best practice--even for virgin eyes (eyes that did not have an operation).

The sun produces UV, and sunglasses protect the eyes from that. UV may induce cataracts, macular degeneration, pterygium, etc.

It is important to make sure sunglasses have 100% UV protection. A spectrometer, often found at an optometrist's office, can measure how much UV passes through a lens.

UV is not part of the colour spectrum (it is invisible light), so tinted lenses do not guarantee UV protection! To be sure, look for "100% UV Protection" or "UV 400 Protection" (blocks all light waves less than 400nm). It is also best to verify with a spectrometer.
Dec 5, 2017
22 posts
4 upvotes
ttmkactus wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 10:15 am
It is to prevent post-operative PRK haze.

Ah, and it is best practice--even for virgin eyes (eyes that did not have an operation).

The sun produces UV, and sunglasses protect the eyes from that. UV may induce cataracts, macular degeneration, pterygium, etc.

It is important to make sure sunglasses have 100% UV protection. A spectrometer, often found at an optometrist's office, can measure how much UV passes through a lens.

UV is not part of the colour spectrum (it is invisible light), so tinted lenses do not guarantee UV protection! To be sure, look for "100% UV Protection" or "UV 400 Protection" (blocks all light waves less than 400nm). It is also best to verify with a spectrometer.
So the point is everyone should wear sunglasses when going outside. You are being neurotic if you wear sunglasses for 6 months after surgery just because you think it has any effect on the PRK.
Have you had PRK?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6188 posts
1345 upvotes
catchjosephnow wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 2:53 pm
So the point is everyone should wear sunglasses when going outside. You are being neurotic if you wear sunglasses for 6 months after surgery just because you think it has any effect on the PRK.
Have you had PRK?
??? That was the same requirement from the surgeon who did my PRK--sunglasses when outdoors for at least 6 months after surgery. Even when cloudy.

UV exposure after ablative laser eye surgery has been associated with greater risk of haze.

Yes, everyone should wear sunglasses when going outside, but it's even more critical for post-PRK patients because a) they are in a very active healing phase for 6 months, and b) their corneas are already thinner due to ablation.

I have read of cases of PRK patients getting haze after high UV exposure (e.g. tropical vacation) even after 12 months post-surgery.
Nov 14, 2006
90 posts
22 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 8:18 pm
Already booked the surgery?? Don't you feel nervous going for the basic option when there have been advancements? I hope all goes well...
WOW! Passive-aggressive much?

I agree that there may be better and more technologically advanced options. We'd be more than happy to cancel and look into another office for another procedure. Please send me the details on where we could get it done for under $2000 for both eyes. Seriously, if there is a better option around this price point, I'd appreciate your input.
Dec 20, 2017
21 posts
11 upvotes
harley1974 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 3:19 pm
If it matters, I don't think peanutz was being passive-aggressive at all.

I honestly wanted to say something about the surgery as well, but I didn't have the guts. I didn't know how to word my concern properly, so I didn't do it at all (what's worse?)

People think surgery is like BAM! Perfect eyesight, beautiful life.
There have been many botched eye surgeries before.
My brother told me he got depression and regrets LASiK. He said there are people who ruined their eyes, got so depressed, and killed themselves.

I mean, don't take my word for it. Please do do your research. Like, how can surgeries go wrong? What are the side effects of surgery? Can I handle the worst case, if it occurs? How can complications be prevented (Dr. experience? Pre-operative care? Etc). Why is it so cheap? Is it performed by a doctor who is going to do the surgery for the -first- time?

Your eyes are really, really important. And judging from your username, you and your wife have a good 20+ years of life left! Please take care :')
Last edited by ttmkactus on Apr 13th, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 14, 2006
90 posts
22 upvotes
I think that we differ on this point. A rhetorical question without any substantive body to the sentence, and the insinuation of something sinister by using ellipsis "..." at the end of the last comment is exactly what i would call passive-aggressive. I don't consider Peanutz' comment snarky, but it was far from helpful to me, nor did it actually offer any advice or any sort of learning opportunity.

I do appreciate your expanded answer and additional insight. As I wrote, I'm open to find out if you or Peanutz have options to suggest that would be in the sub $2000 all-in range.

Some of us can't afford a Lexus, so have to either make do with a Kia or nothing. Yes, a Lexus is certainly 'better', but at 3x the price.
Dec 5, 2017
22 posts
4 upvotes
harley1974 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 4:16 pm
I think that we differ on this point. A rhetorical question without any substantive body to the sentence, and the insinuation of something sinister by using ellipsis "..." at the end of the last comment is exactly what i would call passive-aggressive. I don't consider Peanutz' comment snarky, but it was far from helpful to me, nor did it actually offer any advice or any sort of learning opportunity.

I do appreciate your expanded answer and additional insight. As I wrote, I'm open to find out if you or Peanutz have options to suggest that would be in the sub $2000 all-in range.

Some of us can't afford a Lexus, so have to either make do with a Kia or nothing. Yes, a Lexus is certainly 'better', but at 3x the price.
You can't compare a car to your eyes. You can always buy or change your car not with your only two eyes. If you are expecting to have eye surgery for less than 2k then you can't afford it. Lasikmd loves people like you who are disinterested in technology or safety but rather want the least expensive. Here is what you get for your 490 per eye.
A nice blade making the flap. The most crucial part of LASIK. A standard laser that was used in the early 2000s. No customized treatment or measurements based on the shape or pupil size. No warranty so pretty much pay for it, take a chance and go back to glasses if you regress. If you are ok with all those things then I would say go for it. Oh yah don't expect a doctor to be looking after you for follow ups. They are glorified technicians with a white coat.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6188 posts
1345 upvotes
harley1974 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 3:19 pm

I agree that there may be better and more technologically advanced options. We'd be more than happy to cancel and look into another office for another procedure. Please send me the details on where we could get it done for under $2000 for both eyes. Seriously, if there is a better option around this price point, I'd appreciate your input.
I wasn't being passive-aggressive; I was questioning, not criticizing.
harley1974 wrote:
I think that we differ on this point. A rhetorical question
It wasn't a rhetorical question either. I am not an expert in this field at all (layman like most of the others here) and I don't know your wife or her eyes. She may be perfectly suited to the surgery that's been chosen and recommended by LASIK MD after all. But just for peace of mind, I think she should get at least one other (free) laser eye surgery consultation elsewhere and see what their price points are, and see if they have any concerns or recommendations.

Not sure how you think people should give you any advice either way when you are eager to jump on them and assume passive-aggressiveness without any motive.

I'm not here to argue about what surgery you choose, so you can stop discussing me now.
Oct 22, 2017
30 posts
24 upvotes
harley1974 wrote:

I'm going to say something just because I do have a story to tell you. My friend, 4 years ago, went to LASIK MD for similar price you are saying. She got the blade, it wasn't custom. She was warned about the risks. She has been back there 2 times to get her eyes redone. She had to pay a fee each time, she did not have the warranty. She wish she got the custom all laser package which like you said is over $4000.

I had my eyes done at NVISION, and told her to go in there for a free consult just to get her flap checked out and so on and see why she was having to get her eyes redone. Her flaps did not heal properly and they were also not cut evenly. These are all the reasons why I avoided saving money.

Like others have said, if you can't afford to do it right the first time, i would suggest to stay away from the surgery completely. Blade technology and not having a custom prescription is just not the right way to get it done. LASIK MD is all about doing high volume with great profit.

NVISION uses much more advanced technology, the surgeon Dr. Machat helped build the entire industry. I'd look into just goin in to NVISION and seeing what they think. Their testing is the best and atleast you'll get a definitive answer if the procedure is safe for you. Dr. Machat is also known for being the goto surgeon to fix botched surgeries and i'm sure he has a lot of stories for you about LASIK MD and other big chain centres.

My cousin just had his surgery there a few weeks ago. I definitely have recommended the place to my entire family and we are all very very happy.

Just my 2 cents.
Jan 29, 2018
66 posts
8 upvotes
---Disclaimer, none of this is meant to be any medical advice, and just passing on my results/observations/my optometrist's opinions---

Hi all, I had my 3 months follow up yesterday. I had Smart Surf PRK at NVision in mid January 2018. Turns out with both eyes I can see few letters at 20/10, and each eye at 20/15, and said that's amazing recovery so far in just 3 months. Originally my prescription was -.75 in both eye with astigmatism. I also didn't use drops whole day yesterday until after the checkup. Then was told to use it 4 times a day, which I do anyways, and Lotemax 1x a day for the next month.

I asked if there is any difference between the branded/non-branded drops, and he said for Lotemax there is noticeably less side effects. And for PRED no-name substitute, it's not too noticeable/and only for few days, so don't matter much. But for Lotemax, recommended the brand name one which is what I use.

As for the sun glasses, since my epethilum healed 100% (at 2 months he said another optometrist who don't know I had the surgery wouldn't have been able to tell I had the surgery), but now at 3 months, it's 100% healed, and as a result said it's not a problem even if I dont wear sun glasses outdoors now. (Going to tropical weather destination next month for a month, and he said it's fine if i dont wear sun glasses) - but for the sake of general health of eyes, I will anyways.

Also asked if getting the surgery makes us need reading glasses earlier, he said it actully pushes it around 5 years of extra time WITHOUT the need for reading glass since now they are more accurate is making the surgery more smoother/less intrusive. now guess wait to see and time will tell. I am in my low 30s. Hope this helps, and thanks to everyone for sharing their experience!
Apr 19, 2018
7 posts
1 upvote
At the 4 week mark from my PRK surgery done at PLEC. I've had ongoing dryness and the feeling of something under my eyelid for much of that time. Has anyone else experienced something similar and did it go away?
Sep 21, 2009
21 posts
2 upvotes
GTA
Hello everyone,

I did SmartSurface PRK with Dr. Machat at NVision about 2 weeks ago and thought I would share my experiences/tips - a lot of my experience is similar to what has been discussed in the thread

Firstly, I wanted to thank a number of key contributors to this thread including burnt69 , peanutz and JustinLaw - their information was very helpful

---

- Initial consult was thorough, not rushed and I didn't feel pressurized to make a decision
- The day of the surgery was pretty smooth, the procedure was close to on-time and my friend drove me there and back (in and out of the clinic within 2 hours iirc)
- Dr Machat was professional, I felt comfortable and it was quite fast
- I was in decent shape the day of the surgery and went home to sleep
- The 3-4 days post-op were quite difficult, I was in bed and slept a lot- eyes were sensitive- I was light-sensitive and text on screens were very blurry

- Since I am in the west end, my post-op care was handled by Dr Byron Lui in Mississauga , who has been excellent - would strongly recommend
- My bandage contact lenses (BCL) were removed on Day 4 - they can be removed anywhere from Day 3 to Day 7 depending on your schedule
- I had to go for check-ups with the Optometrist on Day 1 (Day 0 being the day of the surgery), Day 3/4, and Day 7)
- My understanding is that it is most important to take extra care for those first 4-7 days with the BCL and the 2-3 days once they have been removed - no rubbing, no straining, following the drops schedule, lubricating a lot etc.
- My recovery has been on track but I would recommend not getting too frustrated if things are up and down (I read an article online that compared Lasik to a quick flight to your destination while PRK is a train ride) - my experience has been pretty positive overall- bit frustrating in the first week but I kept reminding myself that this procedure is not a super-quick fix - I was ok with screens after the first week (still need larger font)

In terms of drops, I pretty much had the same drops as aforementioned (Zymar/Pred Forte in the first week)- used generic version of PRED in the first week with no issues- I used Systane Preservative-Free drops from Costco in the first week as well-

After first week, used Lotemax and Hylo lubricating drops- I used the lubricating drops more than the 4x a day whenever my eyes felt slightly dry (although I never really felt they got that dry) - I should note that I have always lubricating drops/artifical tears before my surgery as well as I work on the computer a lot and my eyes would often feel dry- point being that I'm used to lubricating, so I think doing that post-op helps with recovery

If you have any questions, please go ahead and ask - thank you to all the previous posters for sharing their experiences
Apr 19, 2018
7 posts
1 upvote
peanutz wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 2:55 pm
For an estimate of price (ONLY an estimate--they take into account several factors after receiving your optometrist's pre-op testing notes), the transPRK procedure on "virgin eyes" around -5 to -6 prescription correction with mild astigmatism could range from $3500-3900 from PLEC. I believe for lower prescription/non-astigmatism cases it can go as low as $3100 and for more complicated cases like $4100 or more, depending...this was the range they gave to me when I first contacted them by e-mail. They can't give you an individual quote without the tests from the optometrist sent over.

If you're set on LASIK, I don't think you need to go to PLEC (because the flap that covers over the ablation surface acts as a smoothing blanket), but I personally strongly favoured PRK and I was only going to do PRK there. The smoother ablation of the SmartSurface software is what helps with the faster visual recovery with decreased pain, and also decreases risk of haze development. Dr. Lin was pretty cute when he proudly said that he wrote the algorithms for the SmartSurface software--and this has been adopted by a number of other clinics around the world. I would guess that these clinics would NOT be paying for the licensing fee (or purchase price) if this was simply a one-man-show marketing trick.

Prescriptions need to be filled yourself (two FML bottles, one bottle of Betoptic-S. Optional prescription for 3 tabs Ativan 0.5mg at bedtime if needed for sleep; Tylenol #3 a few tablets.) Non-Rx recommendations are Fish oil capsules to start at least 1 week before surgery (2000mg twice a day with food--I bought Jamieson Select), and Advil and Tylenol.

You can choose to have the prescriptions faxed to a Toronto pharmacy before you go to Vancouver (but of course, you MUST remember to bring them with you!) or simply get the prescription from PLEC the day of surgery. There will be the small variable of a pharmacy wait time when you get it filled in Vancouver.

PLEC office provides you with: ciprofloxacin (antibiotic) eye drops, and the Acuvail as well as a few preservative-free lubricant drops.

The preservative-free lubricant drops they recommend are Refresh Optive / Refresh Optive Fusion (NOT Refresh Optive Advanced, which contains polysorbate 80, which is kind of a surfactant and I have read on other laser eye surgery clinic websites that they do NOT want patients using this.) The active ingredients of Refresh Optive Fusion are carboxymethylcellulose and glycerin.

Now since I'm a dork...before the surgery I picked up a box of GENERIC Refresh Optive from the U.S. Smiling Face With Sunglasses There is an Equate-brand (from Walmart) preservative-free drops that contain carboxymethylcellulose and glycerin as the active ingredients.

It looks like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Equate-Restore- ... 2372239743

I don't know if this generic is available in Canada yet. But if you have a friend or relative who can bring it over for you, maybe get like 1-2 boxes. Those single-use vials can be capped again so you can actually use them over the course of a day.

Hi, I know this is an older post but could you (or anyone else) elaborate why polysorbate 80 is not recommended in an eyedrop after laser eye surgery?

I was using the Refresh Advanced (non-preservative) post operation for the past 3.5 weeks (been experiencing a lot of dry eye symptoms).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6188 posts
1345 upvotes
I am still interested in people sharing their experiences, so I don't mind if things get repetitive--thanks @thadsan and @DynamicDynamo
Johno87 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 1:48 am
At the 4 week mark from my PRK surgery done at PLEC. I've had ongoing dryness and the feeling of something under my eyelid for much of that time. Has anyone else experienced something similar and did it go away?
I had on/off dryness for at least 2-3 months after surgery (I had my surgery on January 2017 so it makes sense)...but it gradually got to the point that I didn't need to regularly use lubricating eye drops. I did not have the feeling of something stuck under my eyelid though. Does the feeling go away when you lubricate? If so, it may be some dryness.
Johno87 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 1:52 pm
Hi, I know this is an older post but could you (or anyone else) elaborate why polysorbate 80 is not recommended in an eyedrop after laser eye surgery?

I was using the Refresh Advanced (non-preservative) post operation for the past 3.5 weeks (been experiencing a lot of dry eye symptoms).
I actually don't know why Refresh Optive Advanced with the polysorbate 80 is supposedly a problem, exactly. I basically just stole the advice from:

https://www.stahlvision.com/lasik-surge ... 3steps.pdf
Approved list: Refresh, Refresh Plus, Refresh Optive, Systane Ultra, or Theratears. DO NOT use Refresh Optive ADVANCED or use ANY bottled tears, none, not any, we mean it. No bottles!!
Maybe for some people there is increased risk of reacting negatively to polysorbate 80; maybe this clinic believes it affects healing. I don't really know, but I just recall that they differentiated it out.
Apr 19, 2018
7 posts
1 upvote
peanutz wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 2:56 pm
I am still interested in people sharing their experiences, so I don't mind if things get repetitive--thanks @thadsan and @DynamicDynamo

I had on/off dryness for at least 2-3 months after surgery (I had my surgery on January 2017 so it makes sense)...but it gradually got to the point that I didn't need to regularly use lubricating eye drops. I did not have the feeling of something stuck under my eyelid though. Does the feeling go away when you lubricate? If so, it may be some dryness.

I actually don't know why Refresh Optive Advanced with the polysorbate 80 is supposedly a problem, exactly. I basically just stole the advice from:

https://www.stahlvision.com/lasik-surge ... 3steps.pdf

Maybe for some people there is increased risk of reacting negatively to polysorbate 80; maybe this clinic believes it affects healing. I don't really know, but I just recall that they differentiated it out.
Thanks. Sometimes the feeling is less when I lubricate. I also get the sensation of my eyelid sticking to my eye when I blink which is not fun.