Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2018 4:05 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 257. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

14%
Pizza is yummy

33%
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6188 posts
1345 upvotes
Johno87 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 3:09 pm
Thanks. Sometimes the feeling is less when I lubricate. I also get the sensation of my eyelid sticking to my eye when I blink which is not fun.
You're welcome. Did you want to try another preservative-free eyedrop, just in case? Even better if you kept the receipt of the Refresh Advanced from a store with good returns policy.

I like the Refresh Optive Fusion (coupon on the website may still be available); my friend who got LASIK a few years before me swears by Systane Ultra.

I suggest this because...in general, the way that surfactants (such as polysorbate 80) work is that they reduce the natural repulsion forces between aqueous and lipid layers. I believe the eyedrops may have included it to create more slipperiness in the tear layer, and possibly also "mix" the lipids in the tears better throughout. However, in theory, surfactants may also affect the integrity of the lipid membrane of cells...possibly more so with dividing cells whose structure is possibly not as secure yet. I am theorizing based on physiology and basic organic chemistry...but I have atopic dermatitis ("eczema") and skin sensitivity has been an issue all my life, sometimes including mild soaps and shampoos.
Apr 19, 2018
7 posts
1 upvote
peanutz wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 3:35 pm
You're welcome. Did you want to try another preservative-free eyedrop, just in case? Even better if you kept the receipt of the Refresh Advanced from a store with good returns policy.

I like the Refresh Optive Fusion (coupon on the website may still be available); my friend who got LASIK a few years before me swears by Systane Ultra.

I suggest this because...in general, the way that surfactants (such as polysorbate 80) work is that they reduce the natural repulsion forces between aqueous and lipid layers. I believe the eyedrops may have included it to create more slipperiness in the tear layer, and possibly also "mix" the lipids in the tears better throughout. However, in theory, surfactants may also affect the integrity of the lipid membrane of cells...possibly more so with dividing cells whose structure is possibly not as secure yet. I am theorizing based on physiology and basic organic chemistry...but I have atopic dermatitis ("eczema") and skin sensitivity has been an issue all my life, sometimes including mild soaps and shampoos.
So in other words surfactants may make the tear film more unstable? Would switching eye drops reverse that?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6188 posts
1345 upvotes
Johno87 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 4:29 pm
So in other words surfactants may make the tear film more unstable? Would switching eye drops reverse that?
I didn't mean that...just simply that surfactants might be irritating your healing eyes. Or you might be sensitive to polysorbate 80.

I would wonder if it's worth it to try a different eye drop.

Did your optometrist or surgeon say anything about the scratchy feeling 1 month out?
Dec 20, 2017
21 posts
11 upvotes
Hey guys,

I am 2 weeks post-op as well.
I would like to share my healing process too.
I know I found these posts helpful, and the more there were, the safer I felt.

First off, my prescription was left -3.00 w/ -0.50 astigmatism, and right -3.50 w/ -0.75 astigmatism.

I had SmartSurfACE transPRK w/ SmartPulse at NVision.
During the talk with Dr. Machat, he explained that the laser zaps at 1050 pulses per second, and I don't have to worry about my eyes moving because of the 7D-tracking technology. Perhaps this means he upgraded his laser? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Either way, burnt69 and peanutz made me feel safe whether the Amaris was a 750S or 1050RS.

As many posts before me mentioned, the care at NVision was AMAZING. You just feel like they really care about you, and they're not in it for the money. They take their time with the consultation, and they don't pressure you at all. They ask if you have questions, and they are happy to answer them :)
I think the price you pay includes this quality time they give you; you are not in a factory line, where it's "Next, next, next. Get moving people, hurry up! Money's waiting."

I like that Dr. Machat has written books about Laser Eye Surgery. He must be so passionate about the field to write a BOOK about it. He also teaches doctors about laser eye surgery. All this is really comforting, and you know you're in good hands.

Also, I learned that NVision doesn't advertise o: they run solely on Dr. and personal referrals ... they're THAT successful.

1 day post-op, I was "legally able to drive". I say that in quotes because my eyes got progressively blurrier on days 2 and 3 (as expected). Good thing I still asked for a ride on day 3.

On day 3, my optometrist said my right eye was "98%" healed. We checked again on day 4, and it looked the same ... so she took out the BCLs.
My right eye has a "fold" or a "suture line", where the two skins meet and merge. My Dr. described it kind of like a scab, and said it should heal over time ... I hope so :')

I think it's because something bumped my right eye between days 1-3 :( it wasn't a hard bump, but it wasn't feather-like either. I guess my advice or takeaway would be: be very.. very, very careful of things bumping your eye :')
I hope this won't affect my long-term results. Would you know anything about this, @peanutz?

At my 1-week follow up, my eye pressure was normal.
Refraction: left is +0.75 w/ +0.25 astigmatism, right is +1.25 (Dr. said probably because of the scab ...)

I reached out to NVision and asked what my target was. Apparently the target was to get me to +0.25 . Drat, I was really looking forward to that (possible) 20/15 or 20/10 vision that burnt69 was talking about. The vision supposedly possible only at plano.
Anyway, I think they targeted +0.25 because I am young (25 years old) and use the phone/computer like crazy.
I wonder how they calculate overcorrection. I hope it goes to plano eventually.

Hey guys, why do they say be EXTRA, EXTRA careful not to let anything touch or bump your eye? Can the cornea change shape if something bumps/touches it after surgery? :(

Well, other than that. I think I am experiencing ghosting or just "far-sightedness". My doctor said far-sightedness is when you can't focus properly (especially on words). Words, to me, look like the description of ghosting.. and I do have a positive refraction, currently.

It feels really weird going from eyes that are "TOO STRONG" (quote: burnt69), high definition, to not being able to focus properly. I get scared sometimes and wonder if this is permanent.

Yeah, even though I did my research for MONTHS beforehand and know what to expect ... it gets scary when you're actually going through the healing process.

I can read my phone, and browse the internet perfectly fine (oh .. but like everyone mentioned, the font size is MAX).

Ah, this might help some people: I have nocturnal lagophthalmos.
My 2nd nap after surgery, I woke up with the left eye BURNING (maybe because dust or something got in).. ah, maybe that's why I have astigmatism in that eye? I don't know :') but anyway, I ordered "moisture goggles" (https://eye-revive.ca/products/eyeseals-4-0) and I think they helped a ton for keeping my eyes moist (and preventing dust/dirt from going in my eye). Moist eyes are important for healing, right?

For some reason, they didn't help as much after my BCLs came off. I would put in eye drops before bed, but wake up 4 hours later because my eyes were SO DRY ... and I needed MORE MOISTURE :'D By the way, waking up every 4 hours was not voluntary. My body forced me to :') It was really annoying, and the eyedrops (Hylo) and moisture goggles weren't helping. However, Ocunox DID help (eye ointment; basically, a REALLY THICK version of eye drops).

Ah, also Hylo doesn't need a prescription but I had to ask the pharmacy people @Shopper's Drug Mart for it. They have Hylo on the other side of the counter, not on the public shelves.
Ocunox and Lacrilube I couldn't find in Walmart (sold out or backordered?) or Shoppers, but I got Ocunox from my optometrist. Maybe your optometrist sells them (Ocunox / Lacrilube) too.

P.S. Other than my left eye burning because of nocturnal lagophthalmos, I experienced NO pain. Seriously, guys! I didn't even need Tylenol or Advil. This was reaaally cool, because even with such amazing technology, I expected a TINY, TINY bit of pain :') but none came.

:3
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6188 posts
1345 upvotes
ttmkactus wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 6:43 pm
I had SmartSurfACE transPRK w/ SmartPulse at NVision.
During the talk with Dr. Machat, he explained that the laser zaps at 1050 pulses per second, and I don't have to worry about my eyes moving because of the 7D-tracking technology. Perhaps this means he upgraded his laser? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Either way, burnt69 and peanutz made me feel safe whether the Amaris was a 750S or 1050RS.
Hmm, maybe they did, the 7D tracking/time adjustment and the 1050 pulses sounds more like the 1050RS.
ttmkactus wrote:
My right eye has a "fold" or a "suture line", where the two skins meet and merge. My Dr. described it kind of like a scab, and said it should heal over time ... I hope so :')

I think it's because something bumped my right eye between days 1-3 :( it wasn't a hard bump, but it wasn't feather-like either. I guess my advice or takeaway would be: be very.. very, very careful of things bumping your eye :')
I hope this won't affect my long-term results. Would you know anything about this, @peanutz?
I'm sorry, I don't know! Your optometrist would be the one to ask (or they might refer the question to Dr. Machat if they don't know as well.)

I actually was scratching my eyelid trying to be careful one time, maybe 3 weeks after surgery...and I accidentally poked my eye a little, too. It hurt a little more than it probably would have before surgery, but I haven't suffered any noticeable changes to vision.

Also, one morning I woke up with half my face buried in my pillow, sleeping on one of my eyeballs...oops. Yes, repeated pressure after surgery (or even throughout life, or rubbing eyes hard) can affect long-term eye shape e.g. astigmatism risk but just one time I'm not sure.
ttmkactus wrote:
I reached out to NVision and asked what my target was. Apparently the target was to get me to +0.25 . Drat, I was really looking forward to that (possible) 20/15 or 20/10 vision that burnt69 was talking about. The vision supposedly possible only at plano.
Anyway, I think they targeted +0.25 because I am young (25 years old) and use the phone/computer like crazy.
I wonder how they calculate overcorrection. I hope it goes to plano eventually.
Those numbers are on the rarer side, and you should also note that you might still achieve 20/20 or 20/15 after 6-12 months.
ttmkactus wrote:
Well, other than that. I think I am experiencing ghosting or just "far-sightedness". My doctor said far-sightedness is when you can't focus properly (especially on words). Words, to me, look like the description of ghosting.. and I do have a positive refraction, currently.
I had ghosting during the 6-8 weeks period as well. It would just keep getting sharper and sharper week by week...I would cover one eye, blink and look at digital clocks in the distance (e.g. on stove, microwave) to check its progress. You are still very early in the healing stages.
ttmkactus wrote:
Ah, this might help some people: I have nocturnal lagophthalmos.
My 2nd nap after surgery, I woke up with the left eye BURNING (maybe because dust or something got in).. ah, maybe that's why I have astigmatism in that eye? I don't know :') but anyway, I ordered "moisture goggles" (https://eye-revive.ca/products/eyeseals-4-0) and I think they helped a ton for keeping my eyes moist (and preventing dust/dirt from going in my eye). Moist eyes are important for healing, right?

For some reason, they didn't help as much after my BCLs came off. I would put in eye drops before bed, but wake up 4 hours later because my eyes were SO DRY ... and I needed MORE MOISTURE :'D By the way, waking up every 4 hours was not voluntary. My body forced me to :') It was really annoying, and the eyedrops (Hylo) and moisture goggles weren't helping. However, Ocunox DID help (eye ointment; basically, a REALLY THICK version of eye drops).
At PLEC they told us to use the Lacrilube (oily ointment) at night for like 2 months...I stopped sooner than that because I didn't like the thick texture. For you, you should use your Ocunox ointment every night or before every nap as well. Are you still taking your omega-3 supplements?

Other tips for humidity/moisture:
- for an economical room-humidifier, you can fill a large bowl of fresh water and set it beside your bed. The natural evaporation acts to moisten your air a bit. :) Make sure you do wash and change it out every day though, don't want mold growing there.
- apparently warm compresses over the eyes daily can help "soften" the eye's oil glands and maintain good moisture, too. Some people use a warm washcloth, but I'm afraid of unclean water getting into the eyes...so I would use one of those gel-pack things shaped for the eyes, warm it up in the microwave, and lay it over my eyes for about 1 minute before bed during my (winter) healing phase

I will also PM you shortly, check your inbox
Apr 19, 2018
7 posts
1 upvote
peanutz wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 4:37 pm
I didn't mean that...just simply that surfactants might be irritating your healing eyes. Or you might be sensitive to polysorbate 80.

I would wonder if it's worth it to try a different eye drop.

Did your optometrist or surgeon say anything about the scratchy feeling 1 month out?
Just got back from seeing my surgeon. Checked my eyes and said there was not visible cause for the scratchy feeling, and eyes were not overly dry. Said it should (hopefully) resolve in time and to keep up with the lubrication.

Good news is my vision is at 20/20 at 4 weeks post-op. If only my eyes were as comfortable as pre-op, everything would be perfect. :P
Dec 20, 2017
21 posts
11 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 7:18 pm
Other tips for humidity/moisture:
- for an economical room-humidifier, you can fill a large bowl of fresh water and set it beside your bed. The natural evaporation acts to moisten your air a bit. :) Make sure you do wash and change it out every day though, don't want mold growing there.
- apparently warm compresses over the eyes daily can help "soften" the eye's oil glands and maintain good moisture, too. Some people use a warm washcloth, but I'm afraid of unclean water getting into the eyes...so I would use one of those gel-pack things shaped for the eyes, warm it up in the microwave, and lay it over my eyes for about 1 minute before bed during my (winter) healing phase
Waa! Thank you for the tips, peanutz. I am going to try both of these today :)
peanutz wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 7:18 pm
Are you still taking your omega-3 supplements?
Ah, yes, I am.
Everyday I take a multivitamin (Women's Once Daily Whole Food Multivitamin), a vision supplement (Total Vision Care by Platinum Naturals, "Recognized by the Vision Institute of Canada"), 2000-3000mg Omega 3s, and 500-1000mg Vitamin C.

I am not taking any chances with a vitamin/mineral deficiency ruining my eyes.

At 1 week post-op, my Dr. said I can see 20/20.
It's blurry, but I can still read all the lines.
Only now do I realize how confusing G, C, O, and Q can get ... with blurry vision :')
If I really focus, I can differentiate them.
Nov 25, 2007
240 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
My wife just finished the 3-month post surgery appointment this afternoon (actually, it's 3.5 months after her surgery at Nvision), and following is a quick update on her result:

- Both eyes are now 20/25. She was 20/30 two months ago.

- Her right eye is now plano, left eye is -1.00. She had mono-vision at NVision, and the target was right eye = plano, left eye = -0.75, so it's pretty close to the target.

- Our optometrist said there might still be rooms for improvement in the next few months. Although I'm a little disappointed that she can't get 20/20, my wife is 100% happy with her vision, and she said she has no problem seeing far and near objects, and she's using the 100% font size on her computer screen now (she was using 150% font size after the surgery).

- She's still taking Lotemax once a day until the end of 4th month (May 5). She has stopped using any lubricant (Refresh Plus) since about 3 weeks ago. She never had any dry eye problem, so she doesn't bother using lubricant. Our optometrist said that's OK, and she can use it only when needed.
Apr 19, 2018
7 posts
1 upvote
Did anyone else find Betoptic irritated their eyes and made them feel more dry after using? I have a couple of weeks left to use it but they seem to be making my dry eye worse.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6188 posts
1345 upvotes
@raptorsfans there is still time for healing and potential improvement. Somewhere between the 3-12 month span my eyes healed to their final sharpness (20/25 and 20/20). Hang tight.

@Johno87 yes one of the common side effects of Betoptic-S is stinging right after instilling. It was the only one of my drops that stung, but for me mild and short-lived.
Apr 19, 2018
7 posts
1 upvote
peanutz wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2018 5:44 pm
@raptorsfans there is still time for healing and potential improvement. Somewhere between the 3-12 month span my eyes healed to their final sharpness (20/25 and 20/20). Hang tight.

@Johno87 yes one of the common side effects of Betoptic-S is stinging right after instilling. It was the only one of my drops that stung, but for me mild and short-lived.
Thanks. My doctor let me come off of it a few days early. Getting my eye pressure checked again on Thursday just in case of a pressure spike. Hoping it helps alleviate some of my dry eye, although I have a feeling that the steroid drops (FML) are also irritating my eyes.
Jan 29, 2018
66 posts
8 upvotes
Hi all, those who did SmartSurf or any PRK over 6 months, 1 year, or 2-3 years ago..how long after surgery did you still have to use tear drops? and how frequent?

And where is the cheapest place to get preservatives free ones?
I'm thinking to order more..so far been ordering the 100 Refresh Plus vials for $50 or 150 for $72 off amazon (plus tax).
Usually can spread 2 of them across the whole day, sometimes 3/day.

Let me know thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6188 posts
1345 upvotes
@thadsan I didn't note the exact time...but within a year I noticed that I didn't require regular lubricant drop use anymore.

Lately (16 months post) I've noticed myself waking up with some dry eyes so I've been using them in the mornings...I don't know if I'm dehydrated or what. I just came back from vacation where I had a lot of jet lag and change of sleeping times.

Just keep in mind that the studies I've read suggest it takes a minimum of 2 years after PRK for corneal nerves to roughly regrow to the surface again...and LASIK is estimated at 3-5 years. Both surgeries potentially never as some patients report long-term chronic dry eye.
Jan 29, 2018
66 posts
8 upvotes
Thanks for fully answering my question!
peanutz wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 3:34 pm
@thadsan I didn't note the exact time...but within a year I noticed that I didn't require regular lubricant drop use anymore.

Lately (16 months post) I've noticed myself waking up with some dry eyes so I've been using them in the mornings...I don't know if I'm dehydrated or what. I just came back from vacation where I had a lot of jet lag and change of sleeping times.

Just keep in mind that the studies I've read suggest it takes a minimum of 2 years after PRK for corneal nerves to roughly regrow to the surface again...and LASIK is estimated at 3-5 years. Both surgeries potentially never as some patients report long-term chronic dry eye.
Jan 4, 2018
7 posts
Hi,

I just had a free consultation done here in Nanaimo at LASIK MD for LASIK eye surgery, and they said that I am a good candidate. They quoted me for both procedures overall for both eyes: Advanced Custom Wavefront with Keratome ($3500) and Advanced Custom Wavefront All-Laser LASIK ($3700). I am leaning more towards the all-laser option as opposed to Keratome. I know that LASIK MD has some offices in Vancouver and surrounding areas too. Anyone here have experiences with them and can share their stories?

I am willing to go to Vancouver or nearby and get the LASIK procedure done there at a different clinic if it's at a "better" place. Anyone here can share their experience with other clinics near/in Vancouver other than LASIK MD? Also, any regrets in getting your LASIK surgery done? How much did you have to pay? Any complications?

Thanks