Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2018 4:05 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 257. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

14%
Pizza is yummy

33%
Jan 29, 2018
66 posts
8 upvotes
By the way, what brand drops are you using? and where do you get them from? Thanks!
peanutz wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 3:34 pm
@thadsan I didn't note the exact time...but within a year I noticed that I didn't require regular lubricant drop use anymore.

Lately (16 months post) I've noticed myself waking up with some dry eyes so I've been using them in the mornings...I don't know if I'm dehydrated or what. I just came back from vacation where I had a lot of jet lag and change of sleeping times.

Just keep in mind that the studies I've read suggest it takes a minimum of 2 years after PRK for corneal nerves to roughly regrow to the surface again...and LASIK is estimated at 3-5 years. Both surgeries potentially never as some patients report long-term chronic dry eye.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6180 posts
1342 upvotes
Neely47 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 5:58 pm
Hi,

I just had a free consultation done here in Nanaimo at LASIK MD for LASIK eye surgery, and they said that I am a good candidate. They quoted me for both procedures overall for both eyes: Advanced Custom Wavefront with Keratome ($3500) and Advanced Custom Wavefront All-Laser LASIK ($3700). I am leaning more towards the all-laser option as opposed to Keratome. I know that LASIK MD has some offices in Vancouver and surrounding areas too. Anyone here have experiences with them and can share their stories?

I am willing to go to Vancouver or nearby and get the LASIK procedure done there at a different clinic if it's at a "better" place. Anyone here can share their experience with other clinics near/in Vancouver other than LASIK MD? Also, any regrets in getting your LASIK surgery done? How much did you have to pay? Any complications?

Thanks
A few of us in the last 1-2 years have gotten transPRK (like flapless LASIK with longer healing time) at Pacific Laser Eye Centre in Vancouver. Including myself. You're in luck, you have many great options in this area.

There is also Coal Harbour Eye Centre and London Eye in/near Vancouver I'm sure you've heard of...one of them was bought out by LASIK MD within the last year but I don't remember which.
thadsan wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 10:57 am
By the way, what brand drops are you using? and where do you get them from? Thanks!
Currently I'm still using a generic Refresh Optive Fusion, preservative-free vials that I got from Walmart in the US. (Pretty sick of RFD's failing affiliate-link system. They are called Equate Restore Dual Sensitive)

I was using the Hydrasense preservative-free bottle for a bit, but it leaked during a flight back to Canada. Now since I only need drops occasionally, I will stick with the Refresh Optive Fusion or the generic Equate Walmart version of them.
Mar 14, 2010
67 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
There is just sooo much data and information here.

Can anyone answer this question?

I'm considering getting Laser Eye Surgery. But am VERY concerned about the possibility of:

a) Getting some sort of permanent eye damage. (Chronic dry eyes, irritation, halos, blurry vision, etc)
b) Not getting my vision fixed completely, and still having to wear glasses (albeit, less stronger ones).

How much of a risk is a) and b)???? For me something like 1 out of 20 is pretty risky.

I'm willing to travel, pay much more and wait longer... if it means a decrease in risk.

Thank you RFD community.
May 19, 2008
4 posts
Oakville
Following a consultation with Lasik in the GTA, I was told I am not a candidate due to having slightly under the recommended cornea thickness, age and early signs of cataracts.
I use contacts daily and do not experience any cataract symptoms yet. I was told to come back in two years or so for refractive lens exchange.
My questions are, has anyone done this at lasik and are there better options on where to do this surgery? Also, when I remove my contacts, I can read without glasses.
Will refractive lens exchange result in me having to need reading glasses?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6180 posts
1342 upvotes
@changetomorrowtoday I think only an optometrist or ophthalmologist/surgeon can answer your risk questions. There is always some risk of a) or b)...but I don't know what the statistics are.

@bearnone8 Again, to be honest I think your questions are beyond the experience or scope of most RFDers. It would be irresponsible for anyone to give such specific, serious advice without appropriate expertise.

However, if I were to hazard a guess, it does sound like making permanent changes to your vision as your vision seems to be changing may not be the right choice at this time (?cataract development, and perhaps your age between late 30's to somewhere in your 40's leading to possible presbyopia soon...you said that you can read without glasses when you remove your contacts, but you said your consult mentioned "age" and I would guess that presbyopia soon is a concern). I am unsure if refractive lens exchange is the same thing as intraocular lenses (likened to basically doing an "early cataract surgery" before the cataracts are bad...and switching out the natural lenses for artificial, replaceable lenses) which has been suggested on reddit on a past thread I've gone into. Something to consider for the future. If doctors/surgeons who do this for profit have recommended that you wait at least 2 years, there must be very good reasons for waiting.
Mar 14, 2010
67 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
peanutz wrote:
Apr 29th, 2018 3:14 pm
@changetomorrowtoday I think only an optometrist or ophthalmologist/surgeon can answer your risk questions. There is always some risk of a) or b)...but I don't know what the statistics are.
Would I simply go for a consultation with one of these for-profit surgeons or eye surgery providers??
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6180 posts
1342 upvotes
changetomorrowtoday wrote:
Apr 30th, 2018 7:46 pm
Would I simply go for a consultation with one of these for-profit surgeons or eye surgery providers??
Perhaps at least 2. :)
Jan 4, 2018
7 posts
I had my consultation for LASIK eye surgery with LASIK MD but I will have a 2nd consultation for LASIK with Dr. Holland at Pacific Laser Eye Center on Broadway. I am interested in the SmartSurface PRK which seems less invasive than LASIK. LASIK MD never talked to me about PRK. Can anyone here chime in on the difference between the two procedures? I do have astigmatism if that makes any difference.
Dec 20, 2017
21 posts
11 upvotes
Neely47 wrote:
May 1st, 2018 7:00 pm
I had my consultation for LASIK eye surgery with LASIK MD but I will have a 2nd consultation for LASIK with Dr. Holland at Pacific Laser Eye Center on Broadway. I am interested in the SmartSurface PRK which seems less invasive than LASIK. LASIK MD never talked to me about PRK. Can anyone here chime in on the difference between the two procedures? I do have astigmatism if that makes any difference.
PRK Pros:
- good for contact sports and any possibility of getting hit in the eye
- more conservative approach, with less cornea removed (you only have a limited amount, and if you need another procedure, more cornea will be removed)

PRK Cons:
- longer recovery time
- possibility of haze (if you don't take care of your eyes properly, post-procedure)

LASIK Pros:
- instant eyesight
- shorter recovery time

LASIK Cons:
- possibility of flap dislodging if you get hit in the eye (emergency situation)
- higher probability of dry eye symptoms
- more cornea removed (for flap + adjustment)
- possible injury / side effects from suction ring (used to create flap); ex. floaters, retinal damage, etc
- eyes will always feel "weaker" than before (there is an empty space between your flap and cornea)
- if you need to fix a botched procedure, they will do PRK on you

By no means are these all the pros and cons.
These are just what I can think of right now.

Hope that helps!
Dec 5, 2016
13 posts
7 upvotes
Question for those who have had the PRK surgery at Nvision.

I'm going in for surgery on May 15th. Do they provide you with night goggles or something to prevent you from rubbing your eyes, or should I look into purchasing something separately?
Dec 20, 2017
21 posts
11 upvotes
Alphazama wrote:
May 3rd, 2018 8:56 am

I'm going in for surgery on May 15th. Do they provide you with night goggles or something to prevent you from rubbing your eyes, or should I look into purchasing something separately?
They don't--at least when I had it done.
They do give you a pair of sunglasses after the procedure.
Feb 23, 2004
907 posts
165 upvotes
Alphazama wrote:
May 3rd, 2018 8:56 am

As ttmkactus said, just the sunglasses. I wore these to sleep for the first couple nights.
Nov 21, 2014
318 posts
216 upvotes
Atlantic
Had Lasik at NVISION and received sunglasses and night goggles for sleeping.
Dec 20, 2017
21 posts
11 upvotes
EasyCompany251 wrote:
May 3rd, 2018 3:00 pm
Had Lasik at NVISION and received sunglasses and night goggles for sleeping.
Hmm.. maybe they give it for Lasik and not PRK? Thinking Face