Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2018 6:29 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 269. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

14%
Pizza is yummy

33%
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6241 posts
1390 upvotes
nioero wrote:
Jun 21st, 2018 12:04 pm
Hey guys My wife did the smile at Herzig last week and she still has a 150 and 200 eyesights as of today. She was at 600ish before the surgery. Is it still chance for the recovery? The doc basically said to wait for a month and if still not improved she has to do something like Lasik again.
I just did a quick Google read and it seems that for SMILE, it can take about a month to judge recovery. So yes, I would listen to the doctor and wait.
Jul 4, 2015
59 posts
9 upvotes
ON
First of all, thank you for all of the information on this thread! Love resources like this, a little hard to follow, but I did my best.

I'm currently 31, have had steady eyes for years, I regularly use contacts but my glasses prescription is:
OD: -7.25 // Cylinder: -0.50 // Axis: 005

So that's a fairly strong prescription, with astigmatism in both eyes, but the right eye the astigmatism is so slight that when buying contacts I buy regular contacts for the right eye, and astigmatism contacts for my left. I also MIGHT have super tiny cataracts floating around, will confirm at consultation.

I've been doing laser eye research, and was about to book consultations at:
Herzig for PRK (wavefront-guided AMO Visx Star S4 IR)
Bochner for PRK (wavefront-optimized WaveLight Allegretto Wave Eye-Q Laser)

Obviously, you never know what you find at your consultations, but assuming all was normal with my corneas, I had preferred Herzig for the more custom wavefront-guided approach (right?). Then I found this thread and people are raving about NVIsion with SmartSurface PRK. I have a few questions:

1. Can anyone confirm the exact laser Herzig uses, is it the latest AMO Visx Star S4 IR with IDesign and uses wavefront-guided?
  2. What machine exactly does NVision use?
  3. What are the benefits of the NVision machine? I read something about faster healing? I guess they have some software update for speed?
  4. Is there any process NVision uses that is new and doesn't have years of testing/patients? I want to make sure I'm not a guinea pig.
  5. Is the NVision machine wavefront-guided (and thus super accurate and custom?)
  6. Are there any downsides to wavefront-guided vs wavefront-optimized? I found this interesting quote:
    One of the arguments regarding use of wavefront-optimized over wavefront-guided treatments is that normal eyes do not usually have higher order aberrations. Therefore, it would not make sense to employ wavefront-guided treatment, which could induce higher order aberrations due to capture and/or delivery error" -- Source
  7. One post here said they found a lot of negative reviews about Herzig, anybody know why they should be avoided or had a bad experience here?
  8. Any referrals discounts I should know about at NVision? Someone mentioned $400 off for saying they were referred?

Any guidance on any of the above would be super helpful, cheers in advance.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6241 posts
1390 upvotes
hotsnacks wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2018 11:01 pm
What machine exactly does NVision use?
For the transPRK+SmartSurface they offer, they use a Schwind laser. I'm not sure whether it was definitively answered whether it's the 750s or 1050rs version.
hotsnacks wrote:
What are the benefits of the NVision machine? I read something about faster healing? I guess they have some software update for speed?
In Toronto they are the only clinic we know of that offers the transPRK+SmartSurface procedure. If you specifically are interested in PRK, it's supposed to promote faster and less painful early-stage healing (e.g. first 2 weeks) meaning that the surface epithelium smooths over quicker, and hopefully less oral pain medications are needed. I say "hopefully" because the procedure will still vary between individuals and we had at least one poster here who said the healing in one eye was rough.

The evidence for long-term benefits over more traditional PRK (either with alcohol-assisted or mechanical-abrasion removal of the epithelium) are unclear at this time. Plain transPRK without the SmartSurface algorithm seems to have both positive and negative reports over traditional PRK. The theory I read behind possibly why is because the all-laser system zaps the eye with more total energy. When I got my procedure done in 2017, NVision only had the plain transPRK and therefore I went to Vancouver to get the SmartSurface modification. NVision has since upgraded with SmartSurface as well.
hotsnacks wrote:
Is there any process NVision uses that is new and doesn't have years of testing/patients? I want to make sure I'm not a guinea pig.
TransPRK has been around since ~2011 if I recall correctly (saw a study comparing it to other PRK modalities)...and then I believe the SmartSurface software came out in 2014 or 2015 as an improvement. I did not like the idea of being a "guinea pig" either, which is why I did not consider something like SMILE and instead opted for variations of PRK, which is the oldest type of refractive laser eye surgery. If you wanted to go for a more traditional PRK to go by the most data, then consider a very experienced surgeon who has done many mechanical or alcohol-assisted PRKs.
hotsnacks wrote:
Are there any downsides to wavefront-guided vs wavefront-optimized? I found this interesting quote:
One of the arguments regarding use of wavefront-optimized over wavefront-guided treatments is that normal eyes do not usually have higher order aberrations. Therefore, it would not make sense to employ wavefront-guided treatment, which could induce higher order aberrations due to capture and/or delivery error" -- Source
I believe the study. Sometimes making things more complicated if/when an eye does not need it has the potential to introduce more error. But for your astigmatic eye, a wavefront-guided one may possibly be better...? This is where a surgeon's judgment and experience will come into play.
hotsnacks wrote:
Any referrals discounts I should know about at NVision? Someone mentioned $400 off for saying they were referred?
The user named JustinLaw on here takes them, but I think it was more like $100 or something. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3141 posts
347 upvotes
hotsnacks wrote:
First of all, thank you for all of the information on this thread! Love resources like this, a little hard to follow, but I did my best.

I'm currently 31, have had steady eyes for years, I regularly use contacts but my glasses prescription is:
OD: -7.25 // Cylinder: -0.50 // Axis: 005

So that's a fairly strong prescription, with astigmatism in both eyes, but the right eye the astigmatism is so slight that when buying contacts I buy regular contacts for the right eye, and astigmatism contacts for my left. I also MIGHT have super tiny cataracts floating around, will confirm at consultation.

I've been doing laser eye research, and was about to book consultations at:
Herzig for PRK (wavefront-guided AMO Visx Star S4 IR)
Bochner for PRK (wavefront-optimized WaveLight Allegretto Wave Eye-Q Laser)

Obviously, you never know what you find at your consultations, but assuming all was normal with my corneas, I had preferred Herzig for the more custom wavefront-guided approach (right?). Then I found this thread and people are raving about NVIsion with SmartSurface PRK. I have a few questions:

1. Can anyone confirm the exact laser Herzig uses, is it the latest AMO Visx Star S4 IR with IDesign and uses wavefront-guided?
  2. What machine exactly does NVision use?
  3. What are the benefits of the NVision machine? I read something about faster healing? I guess they have some software update for speed?
  4. Is there any process NVision uses that is new and doesn't have years of testing/patients? I want to make sure I'm not a guinea pig.
  5. Is the NVision machine wavefront-guided (and thus super accurate and custom?)
  6. Are there any downsides to wavefront-guided vs wavefront-optimized? I found this interesting quote:
  7. One post here said they found a lot of negative reviews about Herzig, anybody know why they should be avoided or had a bad experience here?
  8. Any referrals discounts I should know about at NVision? Someone mentioned $400 off for saying they were referred?

Any guidance on any of the above would be super helpful, cheers in advance.
I would call the companies direct and ask your questions . They are pretty specific and should be answered easily .
Aug 13, 2003
5 posts
3 upvotes
Just wanted to thank everyone for contributing to this thread. It has helped a lot in my decision making.
I went for a consultation at NVision yesterday and was very happy with the experience. I did mention Justin Law as the referral and the consultant was like "Oh, you're from Red Flag". She wasn't negative about it or anything, I just thought it was funny. I'll be having my PRK done on Aug 14 and I'm so looking forward to it! My eyes are terrible (-9.5 and -11 with astigmatism). Will update everyone once it's all done!

Thanks again to this amazing thread!
Jul 4, 2018
3 posts
Hi everyone,

I am going for my consulation and TLC Yonge & Eglinton tomorrow. Does anyone have an estimated cost for "All laser custom Lasik" offered at this location? My prescription is -5.75 (Right eyes) and -6.00 (Left eyes).

Thank you!!
Last edited by AnnaXiaS60940 on Jul 5th, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bladeless Lasik - July 13, 2018
Nov 21, 2014
328 posts
225 upvotes
Atlantic
AnnaXiaS60940 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 12:03 pm
Hi everyone,

I am going for my consulation and TLC Yonge & Eglinton tomorrow. Does anyone have an estimated cost for "All laser custom Lasik" offered at this location? My prescription is -5.75 (Right eyes) and -6.00 (Left eyes).

Thank you!!
Probably around $5000.
Jul 4, 2018
3 posts
Hi everyone,

I had bladeless lasik on Fri., July13th. Today is my 3rd day of recovery from lasik. My right eye is clear but my left eye is blurry/fuzzy both close and far. Does anyone know what the cause of this is? When will my vision become less blurry and more crisp? This is kind of bothering me since one eye is more clear than the other. I am concerned this may be a problem if I don’t address it now.

Thank you! >.<
Bladeless Lasik - July 13, 2018
Jul 30, 2011
31 posts
NORTH YORK
I have a fairly high prescription around -11 with some astigmatism and was looking to get lasik because I am tired of wearing glasses that distort my eyes. I have booked appointments with herzig and bochner for consultations, but was wondering for the Toronto area which other clinics I should visit for consultation?
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2003
1481 posts
132 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
I was trying to relocate the information I read about SmartSurfACE using hexagonal laser pattern instead of circular ones. My understanding when I first read this a while ago was that hexagonal patterns naturally lead to a smoother surface because it left less gaps formed when using circles. Like a puzzle made of hexagon shaped pieces vs circular ones.

Can anyone confirm my understanding?
Sep 17, 2017
88 posts
31 upvotes
ChiGGz wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 11:22 am
I was trying to relocate the information I read about SmartSurfACE using hexagonal laser pattern instead of circular ones. My understanding when I first read this a while ago was that hexagonal patterns naturally lead to a smoother surface because it left less gaps formed when using circles. Like a puzzle made of hexagon shaped pieces vs circular ones.

Can anyone confirm my understanding?
This is correct. Even nature prefers hexagonal patterns because geometrical boundaries do not overlap. The cellular architecture uses hexagonal shapes because it covers entire areas without overlapping- there are no gaps involved. I guess the same principle applies here too.

My friend underwent her lasik laser eye surgery in Toronto, at the age of 21. She was born with no eye defects but the overuse of computers and smartphones gave her myopia. Nobody in the family had this so it was due to excessive eye strain. It went smoothly.

On the other hand, my aunt had to get a corneal implant because her RA apparently melted the cornea and attacked the healthy eye tissues. She also underwent a corrective laser eye surgery but things didn't go out well. It took a while for her eyes to adjust, and a longer time to heal.

So, I don't think age is a huge factor but it depends on your health condition really. At least, that's what the doctors have to say.

---

What's the thing about pizzas? lol
Aug 13, 2003
5 posts
3 upvotes
hellzscream wrote:
Jul 18th, 2018 8:26 pm
I have a fairly high prescription around -11 with some astigmatism and was looking to get lasik because I am tired of wearing glasses that distort my eyes. I have booked appointments with herzig and bochner for consultations, but was wondering for the Toronto area which other clinics I should visit for consultation?
I have a very similar prescription to yours. I don't think Lasik is recommended for us. I've decided to go with SmartSurFACE at NVision after studying the valuable info on this thread. Book a consultation with them and see how you feel about them. Hope it helps!
Sep 17, 2010
28 posts
14 upvotes
My prescription is OD +1.5-2.25x005, OS +1.25-2.25x018. So more astigmatism than anything else. I have a consultation scheduled with a nearby clinic but after reading this thread, am I correct to assume it would be $4-5000 for the procedure. or should I expect higher?
Last edited by Shadester9 on Aug 1st, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 30, 2011
31 posts
NORTH YORK
jenfa wrote:
Jul 25th, 2018 9:37 am
I have a very similar prescription to yours. I don't think Lasik is recommended for us. I've decided to go with SmartSurFACE at NVision after studying the valuable info on this thread. Book a consultation with them and see how you feel about them. Hope it helps!
Went for my consultation at herzig and they said my only option would be an evo icl because of my high prescription. It is fairly expensive coming out at around 8400. Also they mentioned if adjustments were needed they most likely would just do lasik instead of adjusting the icl itself.