Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2018 6:29 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 269. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

14%
Pizza is yummy

33%
Jul 4, 2015
59 posts
9 upvotes
ON
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread!

If I did Smartsurface PRK, I understand that I'm supposed to wear sunglasses outdoors for a very long time after.

Assuming everything goes normally, if I waited 9 weeks after the procedure, could I scuba dive twice in one day, for a total of roughly 100 minutes underwater with no UV protection?

I'd wear sunglasses the entire time except for when I go in the water since my mask doesn't have UV protection.
Feb 25, 2007
253 posts
7 upvotes
Markham
Just found this tread and it has been extremely helpful.

went to Bochner for consultation and I'm recommended for PRK. Booked consultation with Nvision.

Left: -5.75
Right: -6.75
Oct 20, 2010
406 posts
69 upvotes
i am doing CXL with Riboflavin at Bochner on both eyes(left was 460um and right eye at 402) in just a month. i have been postponing this surgery for too long. I have keratoconus on both eyes, but a bit more severe on the right eye.
Finally decided to get the surgery done, since i noticed the glare while driving at night was getting worse. I am in my mid 30s.
Too bad there is no coverage for this, but my eyes/health is more important than the cost of the surgery($5400).
There is a chance that glasses prescription might improve. Did that happened to anyone that did similar procedure?
Jul 23, 2018
8 posts
33 upvotes
bugsbunny01 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2018 12:00 pm
i am doing CXL with Riboflavin at Bochner on both eyes(left was 460um and right eye at 402) in just a month. i have been postponing this surgery for too long. I have keratoconus on both eyes, but a bit more severe on the right eye.
Finally decided to get the surgery done, since i noticed the glare while driving at night was getting worse. I am in my mid 30s.
Too bad there is no coverage for this, but my eyes/health is more important than the cost of the surgery($5400).
There is a chance that glasses prescription might improve. Did that happened to anyone that did similar procedure?
hi, Ii just wanted to chime in and offer my experience. I was just like you and aobut a year ago I completed a routine eye exam with my optometrist. They told me that my keratoconus was getting quite severe. I am in my late 20s and like most people who are told, I kept putting it off - this is probably the worse thing you can do, it is a progressive eye disease and can become a very big issue if you let it go too far. I ignored that all... blame my young adult lifestyle or just being lazy or plain old procrastination. I did go to Bochner about 6 months ago and got the same quote, $5400 and have been putting it off. I wanted to go to another clinic to see what prices were and also what other options I had. After doing some research I came across this thread and a great deal of people were raving about NVISION and blah blah blah... I decided to visit their website and it appears as though they do crosslinking as well. I booked a consultation in June and was quite amazed with their place. It was definitely much nicer and the staff were amazing. The key reasons why I chose to go with NVISION were price and the technology. Much like others here on the thread. They said they were also able to correct my vision while getting the crosslinking done, the big thing was... there was no extra charge. It was all part of the same package.

The price was $5100. I didn't normally wear glasses but I definitely needed them to see things far away like road signs while driving. My prescription was only -1.00 and -.75 so it was minor but after 1 month I do notice a difference. I would highly recommend you go check them out.

I had surgery in July. I can't tell you how much of a great experience it was. They do have 2 surgeons that do surgery and I did my research on both of them. Dr. rathee has been there for a couple of years and Dr. machat is the main surgeon. I decided to go with Dr. machat because his days worked with my schedule. I can confirm they are using the schwind amaris 750 and I asked the surgeon before surgery to confirm. The actual crosslinking procedure which was done on a different machine took a bit of time so make sure you have the whole day booked off. I was there for a few hours in total but it was a great experience. I'ts been over a month later and although im still healing, I am very glad I did it when I did. You don't want to end up in the hospital with a transplant or something super serious.

I'd love to be of help since this thread led me to my surgery but regardless of where you go, you should do it soon.
Oct 20, 2010
406 posts
69 upvotes
thank you for your input.
My current prescription is 4.75 on the left and 8 on the right eye, but my current glasses are leveled by the better eye since i cant function with that different prescription. My eyesight is severely affected by light.
?In terms of time off, i am taking 2 weeks at least of sick time, further if really necessary.
I am a month from surgery date, and a bit late to change all information around regarding work and stuff. Bochner is also well regarded. I did check lasik 2 years ago but wasnt impressed.
I will check nvision though
Jul 23, 2018
8 posts
33 upvotes
bugsbunny01 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 1:19 pm
thank you for your input.
My current prescription is 4.75 on the left and 8 on the right eye, but my current glasses are leveled by the better eye since i cant function with that different prescription. My eyesight is severely affected by light.
?In terms of time off, i am taking 2 weeks at least of sick time, further if really necessary.
I am a month from surgery date, and a bit late to change all information around regarding work and stuff. Bochner is also well regarded. I did check lasik 2 years ago but wasnt impressed.
I will check nvision though
glad I could be of some help. I would just go see them and get a second opinion. you never know what another surgeon will say. the savings is nice but money isn't everything. to me the whole packaged mattered. I don't remember Bochner having the capabilities of correcting my vision down a bit with crosslinking so it is definitely worth the effort of going in to see what they say. I know it is limited in what it can correct but no hurt in seeing how much they can improve your vision if you will be going through the healing process anyways.

please post your experience at Bochner if you do end up going with them. I think sharing experiences on here is a big resource to the community.
Oct 20, 2010
406 posts
69 upvotes
i will check nvision and will definitely post an update once i have surgery done
Feb 25, 2007
253 posts
7 upvotes
Markham
I have my consultation next week. are there any questions I should ask?

thanks!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23301 posts
9733 upvotes
Ottawa
When do you tell yourself, it's time to get laser eye surgery?
I'm near sighted and currently not required (but recommended) to get prescription glasses.
Nov 1, 2016
95 posts
43 upvotes
Prices in South Korea are far cheaper and procedure quality is better too due to how frequently it is performed there and the use of latest technology.
If you have the time, you should go do it somewhere in South Korea.
Jun 1, 2016
601 posts
390 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 8:56 pm
The reason why someone might want to avoid London (which, AFAIK, may actually be part of the LASIK MD chain these days) is because of their use of an older laser which is limited to a 6.5mm optical zone diameter.
What?

"The VISX STAR S4 IR™ can treat a 9mm treatment zone."

https://www.lasereye.com/technology/visx-star
Paradoxical wrote:
Sep 1st, 2018 1:00 am
Prices in South Korea are far cheaper and procedure quality is better too due to how frequently it is performed there and the use of latest technology.
If you have the time, you should go do it somewhere in South Korea.
Genetically South Asians have smaller pupil size (read pupil size not eyes), which historically has better outcomes for laser surgery in general. I would be hesitant to recommend South Korea to someone with larger pupils as the doctors there won't have as much experience with them.
Having trouble setting up the Koodo $49 8gb plan yourself? DON'T PAY THE KIJIJI GUYS, I'll help you for FREE
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1314 posts
702 upvotes
DeltaSingh wrote:
Sep 1st, 2018 3:56 am
What?

"The VISX STAR S4 IR™ can treat a 9mm treatment zone."

https://www.lasereye.com/technology/visx-star
Treatment zone is not the same as optical zone.

And the claim made by "lasereye" is out of date -- the Schwind Amaris can treat out to a 9.8mm optical zone and a 10mm total ablation diameter.

Whether any of such is clinically relevant for your particular situation is something you'd have to discuss with your professional advice.

As for South Korea, I'd probably go see Dr. David Kang in Seoul for SmartSurfACE w/Corneal Wavefront, but don't know if I'd be comfortable with anyone else. Whether you'd actually save any $$$ after airfare, and the hassles of follow-up is questionable.

BTW, someone whispered in my ear that LasikMD locations will be getting transPRK in the next little while if they use the Wavelight EX500 lasers. So there will be alternatives if you don't want to use the clinics with the Schwind.
Jan 29, 2018
66 posts
8 upvotes
Hi all, if anyone is going to get their surgery done at Nvision in 2018, i came across this offer that saves $500 on top of the $100 referral credit.
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/nvision ... n-2219297/

Also I have question for those that did the surgery within the past few years:

1) How long after 6 months did you still use the eye drops, and how often? ANyone use it after 1 or 2 years? (My optomotrist told me to use it 4x a day until 1st year is over).

2) Did anyone notice difference (either improvement or degration) in the visision after 8 months, 12 months, or 2 years+ after?
I'm currently on my 9th month, and noticed my second eye finally caught up to my first eye which was 20/15
and with both eyes I can almost see few letters one line below.

Just wonderd how others' results been and how it fluctuates. Thanks!
Jun 1, 2016
601 posts
390 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:
Sep 1st, 2018 4:35 am
Treatment zone is not the same as optical zone.

And the claim made by "lasereye" is out of date -- the Schwind Amaris can treat out to a 9.8mm optical zone and a 10mm total ablation diameter.
What source states that the optical zone for the VISX STAR S4 IR is a max of 6.5mm?
Having trouble setting up the Koodo $49 8gb plan yourself? DON'T PAY THE KIJIJI GUYS, I'll help you for FREE
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1314 posts
702 upvotes
DeltaSingh wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2018 1:11 am
What source states that the optical zone for the VISX STAR S4 IR is a max of 6.5mm?
The FDA labelling for the VISX Star S4 IR laser w/WaveScan abberometry (not to be confused with the newer "iDesign"):

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_doc ... 6S025C.pdf

States, at page 10:

"Patients with large mesopic pupil size (>= 6.6mm) should be advised of the potential for negative effects on vision after surgery, such as an increased frequency of glare and halos, and decreased satisfaction at night under conditions with glare, such as night driving".

"The WaveScan [abberometry] sensor measures the higher order abberations only over the diameter of the patient's pupil to a maximum of 7.0mm"

"No higher order abberations can be measured or treated outside the wavefront measurement region. If the surgeon extends the optical zone beyond the measured wavefront diameter, the nonuniform wavefront transition zone will overlie the attempted sphereocylinderical treatment"

The first reference would infer that the machine would be limited to an OZ of approximately 6.5mm on-label. The third reference implies that a surgeon using the equipment specified can extend the OZ to 7.0mm as a custom off-label treatment, but cannot create a custom treatment beyond 7.0mm.

I personally have monster pupils and light coloured eyes (well over 8mm). Treatment customization limited to 7.0mm at best simply wasn't going to cut it. Nor did it cut it for another large pupil patient, at http://www.isthisyourhomework.com/halos ... prk-lasik/ , who was treated on the VISX at LEC (not PLEC!) in Vancouver and commented accordingly. I cycle and hike at night by moonlight in wooded areas, and I need great night vision -- which I achieved with full treatment customization over my entire pupil.