Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2018 6:29 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 269. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

14%
Pizza is yummy

33%
Jun 1, 2016
601 posts
390 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2018 4:34 am
The FDA labelling for the VISX Star S4 IR laser w/WaveScan abberometry (not to be confused with the newer "iDesign"):

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_doc ... 6S025C.pdf

States, at page 10:

"Patients with large mesopic pupil size (>= 6.6mm) should be advised of the potential for negative effects on vision after surgery, such as an increased frequency of glare and halos, and decreased satisfaction at night under conditions with glare, such as night driving".

"The WaveScan [abberometry] sensor measures the higher order abberations only over the diameter of the patient's pupil to a maximum of 7.0mm"

"No higher order abberations can be measured or treated outside the wavefront measurement region. If the surgeon extends the optical zone beyond the measured wavefront diameter, the nonuniform wavefront transition zone will overlie the attempted sphereocylinderical treatment"

The first reference would infer that the machine would be limited to an OZ of approximately 6.5mm on-label. The third reference implies that a surgeon using the equipment specified can extend the OZ to 7.0mm as a custom off-label treatment, but cannot create a custom treatment beyond 7.0mm.

I personally have monster pupils and light coloured eyes (well over 8mm). Treatment customization limited to 7.0mm at best simply wasn't going to cut it. Nor did it cut it for another large pupil patient, at http://www.isthisyourhomework.com/halos ... prk-lasik/ , who was treated on the VISX at LEC (not PLEC!) in Vancouver and commented accordingly. I cycle and hike at night by moonlight in wooded areas, and I need great night vision -- which I achieved with full treatment customization over my entire pupil.
Hm thanks for this, then Coal Harbour would be a better choice for people with large pupils. It says on their website the optical zone for their laser is 8mm.
Having trouble setting up the Koodo $49 8gb plan yourself? DON'T PAY THE KIJIJI GUYS, I'll help you for FREE
Oct 16, 2011
131 posts
40 upvotes
PLEC has a laser that can do larger optical zones, and I actually have one (7mm) but the Doctor said that he can't go above 6.5mm due to the size of my corneas. Hopefully I won't have bad night vision because of that 0.5mm discrepancy.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2612 posts
710 upvotes
Montreal
Can someone tell me what a good price would be for TransPRK w and w/o SmartSurface?
Nov 21, 2014
328 posts
225 upvotes
Atlantic
kenze wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 7:34 am
Can someone tell me what a good price would be for TransPRK w and w/o SmartSurface?
NVISION offers smartsurface for around $5000. Saw a recent discount bringing it to $4600.

Dunno about non smartsurface.

I would really not be looking at Lasik from a cost perspective...ie cheaping out. These are your eyes we're talking about.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2612 posts
710 upvotes
Montreal
EasyCompany251 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 9:45 am
NVISION offers smartsurface for around $5000. Saw a recent discount bringing it to $4600.

Dunno about non smartsurface.

I would really not be looking at Lasik from a cost perspective...ie cheaping out. These are your eyes we're talking about.
I'm not considering Lasik. So you're saying that the difference between non-smartsurface and smartsurface is worth 1000+$?
Oct 20, 2010
406 posts
69 upvotes
bugsbunny01 wrote:
Aug 17th, 2018 9:24 am
i will check nvision and will definitely post an update once i have surgery done
Update:

Got my surgery done on September 14th around 9:45AM at bochner. They started with a dose of Valium to get me relaxed. Then moved to the laser portion and started the procedure. The laser part was quick and painless, but the second part was a test to my pain tolerance(i have high pain tolerance). The UV light treatment - 20 mins per eye.
I left the facility around 11:45 and the medicine effect started to wear off quickly. By the time my wife got on the 401 i no longer could keep my eyes open due to the sensibility to light and the pain. Got home, got my dose of drops, took a tylenol 3 and went to the basement, closed every light and tried to stay relax. The pain was severe, and i slept on and off for the next 18hours with continuous pain. Woke up next day feeling better but with blurry vision. Couldnt see too far ahead due to the clear lenses and the healing process i guess. But everyday vision improved.
Removed the clear lenses on thursday and vision gotten a bit better. My right eye, which was worse prior to surgery, improved quite a bit, and the left improved slightly. Vision is still blurry but stabilizing with time. I will need a new prescription upon my return to work and normal function. I didnt do laser correction since my main focus was to correct my keratoconus. I will be going for my 2 week follow up on october 4th, which by then i should be cleared to drive and return to work.

It was painful, but i would do it again if that means i keep my vision for as long as i can.
Oct 1, 2018
1 posts
Hey, first i would like to say thank you to everyone who has posted there experience or questions it has been great to read and extremely helpful

I am 25 from Vancouver and have fairly high astigmatism my prescription is

OD Sphere + 0.25 Cylinder -6.00 Axis 003
OS Sphere - 0.25 Cylinder -5.75 Axis 177

I honestly do not understand the numbers very well but my prescription has been steady for a long time. I am currently trying to decide what procedure to book. About 3 months ago i went to Fraser valley cataract & laser(Dr king) and found out to my surprise i am a candidate for Lasik and PRK. Shocked because 3 years prior to that i went to a different faculty and was only able to get a lens exchange, which from my understanding is a contact lense implanted in the eye. Excited by the news but hesitant to trust the first opinion i then went to Lasik MD and was given the same options. I proceeded to go to one more place which was to see Dr Lin at pacific laser eye centre which i was told about SmartSurfACE PRK and that i was also a candidate for that. He also informed me he no longer offered lasik because he was having more side effects and now only offered the smartsurfACE PRK

Shocked by having the sudden option of correcting my vision i have spent a long time hesitant to book as i will be honest the thought of a eye procedure is quite intimidating although the reward of no longer needing glasses far proceeds that. I am currently leaning towards booking with Dr Lin and getting the SmartSurfACE PRK. I notice a lot of people have gone to Nvsion in toronto and received SmartSurfACE PRK, i was wondering if anyone has any experience with Dr Lin? or had fairly high astigmatism and done the smartsurfACE PRK procudure?

this is the link to his website the laser he has is a SCHWIND AMARIS 1050HZ

http://www.pacific-laser.com/laser

Thanks for your time!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6241 posts
1390 upvotes
Yes @Lucasg a few of us got it done at PLEC with Dr. Lin including myself and my brother. Sorry I can't look for the posts right now or give you detailed feedback because I have a tight schedule this week...but feel free to do a Search. However I had a similar prescription to you, minus a low amount of astigmatism. There is some residual astigmatism left and I get mild starbursts at night, but other than that, my vision is great. No noticeable loss of contrast, color, or night vision either.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1314 posts
702 upvotes
Lucasg wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 7:42 pm
OD Sphere + 0.25 Cylinder -6.00 Axis 003
OS Sphere - 0.25 Cylinder -5.75 Axis 177
Dr. Lin's specialty is treating high astigmatism, particularly caused by diseases of the cornea such as keratoconus or induced by other surgeries. He's very well published and experienced in the area. You already live in Vancouver. UV accelerated corneal cross-linking may be prescribed to help preserve the stability of the treatment. SmartSurfACE PRK with Dr. Lin was a painless "do it in the morning, go shopping in the afternoon and out for dinner in the evening with friends" treatment for me roughly 2 years ago.

You're in good hands with Dr. Lin. Let us know how it goes.
Oct 20, 2010
406 posts
69 upvotes
Update: 1month post surgery
Although, my vision is improving, and it greatly reduced my astigmatism while improve my keratoconus condition, the recovery is taking a bit. I cannot wear my current glasses anymore, since they are stronger than my current eyesight, cannot get new ones until my next appointment. I still have mild blurriness using a computer and any brighter light bothers me a bit(cannot drive without sunglasses).
Supposed to have returned to work a week ago, but my HR told me to wait a bit longer(i commute hr each way, and work with computers all day - sys admin).
I dont regret doing this surgery at Bochner, but I wouldnt mind if they keep their info more accurate
i.e.: Pre surgery doctor informed 2-4 weeks for recovery, documentation provided for my employer said minimum of 2 weeks, and post surgery doctor, states between 4-6 weeks..

I am glad i enter this surgery with 40 sick days available....
Feb 20, 2014
5 posts
Hello everyone. What an informative thread!
After reading pages and pages on this thread, I decided to go ahead and get PRK.

So, I did the consultation earlier this month and went ahead and booked PRK with Dr Lin at PLEC on Oct 31, but I am debating whether or not I should push back the surgery date. Mainly because 9 days (Nov 9) after the surgery date, I will have to fly to Toronto for a weekend. And 18 days post surgery date (on Nov 18) I already have a 2-week Hawaii vacation booked. I've heard that it's okay to fly, so I am not too concerned with flying provided I lubricate my eyes often. However, I am concerned about going to a sunny destination as I've read that too much exposure to UV could cause a haze during post op care. I guess I can just make sure I wear sunglasses all the time out doors, but I am still not sure if I should be booking my PRK surgery only 3 weeks before going to Hawaii. I would really like to get it done right now because I am currently transitioning from one job to another and therefore don't need to worry about taking time off work to do the surgery.

Would anyone on this tread care to share their thoughts on this? Is it a bad idea to go to a sunny destination so soon after the surgery? Would I be okay just wearing full sun protection during the vacation or should I just not risk it and delay my surgery?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6241 posts
1390 upvotes
wendiee22 wrote:
Oct 21st, 2018 6:14 pm
Hello everyone. What an informative thread!
After reading pages and pages on this thread, I decided to go ahead and get PRK.

So, I did the consultation earlier this month and went ahead and booked PRK with Dr Lin at PLEC on Oct 31, but I am debating whether or not I should push back the surgery date. Mainly because 9 days (Nov 9) after the surgery date, I will have to fly to Toronto for a weekend. And 18 days post surgery date (on Nov 18) I already have a 2-week Hawaii vacation booked. I've heard that it's okay to fly, so I am not too concerned with flying provided I lubricate my eyes often. However, I am concerned about going to a sunny destination as I've read that too much exposure to UV could cause a haze during post op care. I guess I can just make sure I wear sunglasses all the time out doors, but I am still not sure if I should be booking my PRK surgery only 3 weeks before going to Hawaii. I would really like to get it done right now because I am currently transitioning from one job to another and therefore don't need to worry about taking time off work to do the surgery.

Would anyone on this tread care to share their thoughts on this? Is it a bad idea to go to a sunny destination so soon after the surgery? Would I be okay just wearing full sun protection during the vacation or should I just not risk it and delay my surgery?
Hello, it sounds like you're in for some exciting times. :)

I personally would guess that you would be fine, provided you are wearing sunglasses any time you are outdoors OR looking out through windows (don't forget that ordinary windows or car windows often allow UV rays to get through.)

You will probably still be using the steroid eye drops during this time as part of the standard post-surgery tapering protocol. This in itself reduces haze risk. You should let PLEC know ahead of time regarding your vacation plans, as they may decide to extend this steroid taper period.

Finally, I would pack some oral vitamin C (ascorbic acid) supplements OR buy them in Hawaii as taking them may further reduce haze risk, just going off a weak memory of when I did my research over a year ago. Something like 500-1000mg daily wouldn't hurt you and may provide further protection. Again, when/if you are able to ask Dr. Lin for advice, I would put this on a "Questions" list.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1314 posts
702 upvotes
wendiee22 wrote:
Oct 21st, 2018 6:14 pm
Definitely inform the Dr. and/or the patient counsellor. If they feel that there's a concern, they will adjust your medication (steroids) accordingly. UV-blocking sunglasses of course are mandatory. I personally spent 3 weeks in the Caribbean/Southern Florida a month after my procedure and ended up right on target with only a very minor adjustment to medication.

Flying, not a problem. You'll have your BCL out by then.
Oct 28, 2018
2 posts
1 upvote
I'm looking to get the SmarkSurface PRK with PLEC done. Would like to thank the wealth of information by many of the posters here, especially the detailed help of the process of getting the surgery done for someone that resides in the States (I'm in Texas). In particular thanks @peanutz

I had a few questions:

Here's my planned itinerary:

1. Fly in to Vancouver on Wed
2. Have the pre-op and surgery on Thursday with Dr. Lin
3. Have the post-op on Friday morning and fly back to Texas in the evening
4. Remove the contact bandage the following Thursday
5. Go back to work and drive the following Monday (11 days after surgery)

Does anybody know if there is any sort of friend referral for the PLEC location that can be utilized?

Thanks for the help!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)