Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2018 6:29 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 269. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

14%
Pizza is yummy

33%
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6237 posts
1387 upvotes
@threesixmafia That sounds good. Have you already undergone pre-examination of your eyes with your local optometrist to send to PLEC? i.e. tell your optometrist that you are interested in laser eye surgery, ask them to be in touch with PLEC to provide all the tests that PLEC requires, and have them fax or e-mail the results to them in order to determine whether you are a candidate for the PRK.

Then, booking with PLEC can take a few weeks or months depending on availability. I also don't know of any official referral program they have; it wouldn't hurt to first get a general quote for your eyes (based on your prescription) and then you can mention afterwards that you were referred by someone to see if they'd consider giving you a small discount. I'll leave it up to anyone to PM you first if they are interested in being the referrer, but if there is no one else, feel free to PM me (I don't get compensated by PLEC in any form.)
Jul 29, 2017
31 posts
14 upvotes
Does anyone know if there is a way to have an ICL procedure covered by the provincial health insurance for those that have very high myopia, high astigmatism, thin cornea. and can't fully correct their vision by traditional glasses and contacts?
Due to my high prescriptions, I've been having a lot of trouble with contacts and glasses as even a tiny misalignment in my frame would result in headaches and bad vision, same problem with contacts when a small rotation in toric contacts lead to blurry vision.
I was wondering given my special case, I could have my ophthalmologist suggest that ICL procedure is necessary in my case and thus have it covered and paid by the provincial health insurance. I live in Quebec btw.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1313 posts
702 upvotes
threesixmafia wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 2:55 pm
Here's my planned itinerary:

1. Fly in to Vancouver on Wed
2. Have the pre-op and surgery on Thursday with Dr. Lin
I'd personally suggest an extra day or two in Vancouver pre-op. Reduces stress from the flight and any delays, especially in the winter if you're not taking a non-stop. And allows your corneas to re-hydrate themselves fully after a long airplane flight. Plus Vancouver's a nice place to hang out for a few days anyways. Or even just fly to Seattle and take the Amtrak train to Vancouver -- probably would save you a bit of money over flying to YVR directly anyways.

Night driving even 11 days out can be dicey. Daytime driving, no problem.

I don't believe PLEC needs to resort to gimmickry such as referrals or discounts. Their pricing is remarkably reasonable and your all-in costs including travel, medications, co-management should be similar to that of US-based premium clinics. Given that SmartSurfACE accelerates recovery significantly and reduces overall downtime compared to traditional alcohol or brush PRK, its well worth it.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1313 posts
702 upvotes
Hitnake wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 4:53 pm
Does anyone know if there is a way to have an ICL procedure covered by the provincial health insurance for those that have very high myopia, high astigmatism, thin cornea. and can't fully correct their vision by traditional glasses and contacts?
Due to my high prescriptions, I've been having a lot of trouble with contacts and glasses as even a tiny misalignment in my frame would result in headaches and bad vision, same problem with contacts when a small rotation in toric contacts lead to blurry vision.
I was wondering given my special case, I could have my ophthalmologist suggest that ICL procedure is necessary in my case and thus have it covered and paid by the provincial health insurance. I live in Quebec btw.
Ask your doctor, of course, but I believe the answer generally would be no, with very rare exceptions such as post-trauma patients who have suffered severe facial disfigurement that renders wearing glasses or contact lenses impossible.

When I had my procedure, I studied my provincial healthcare reimbursement documentation, and they were extremely explicit on the language that even applied to PTK and SK, ie: that it could not be done as part of a refractive procedure, but could only be used to treat epithelial basement membrane dystrophy, recurrent corneal erosion, and a few other specific conditions. If the surgeon did any intentional refractive correction during such procedures (as would make sense if going through the trouble), then none of it was reimbursable.

On my income tax, I got back ~20% of my expenditure as a reduction in taxes owing.
Oct 28, 2018
2 posts
1 upvote
burnt69 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 2:37 pm
I'd personally suggest an extra day or two in Vancouver pre-op. Reduces stress from the flight and any delays, especially in the winter if you're not taking a non-stop. And allows your corneas to re-hydrate themselves fully after a long airplane flight. Plus Vancouver's a nice place to hang out for a few days anyways. Or even just fly to Seattle and take the Amtrak train to Vancouver -- probably would save you a bit of money over flying to YVR directly anyways.

Night driving even 11 days out can be dicey. Daytime driving, no problem.

I don't believe PLEC needs to resort to gimmickry such as referrals or discounts. Their pricing is remarkably reasonable and your all-in costs including travel, medications, co-management should be similar to that of US-based premium clinics. Given that SmartSurfACE accelerates recovery significantly and reduces overall downtime compared to traditional alcohol or brush PRK, its well worth it.
Thanks for the info! Appreciate it, I'll go one day earlier to get some rest in then. Many cool things in Vancouver, Stanley Park is amazing I agree!
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2017
1025 posts
257 upvotes
Anyone know where to go to find stories related to harmed people from laser eye surgery?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6237 posts
1387 upvotes
BritishColumbian wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 4:46 pm
Anyone know where to go to find stories related to harmed people from laser eye surgery?
http://lasikcomplications.com/

Some people get extremely dry eyes they cannot cope with.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/w5-investigat ... -1.4141117 --> there are also some emerging reports and studies of rare neuropathic pain/syndromes related to LASIK or PRK healing gone awry. To briefly summarize, some people's nerves don't heal properly or become extremely sensitive after the surgeries, to the point that they are either very reactive to light or constantly firing "pain" signals to the brain. This also sometimes occurs in other surgeries or injuries in other parts of the body and it's hard to predict why or to whom it happens. This is sometimes managed by using medications such as gabapentin or pregabalin (anti-seizure class), or SSRI/SNRI/TCA (antidepressants.)
Feb 25, 2007
253 posts
7 upvotes
Markham
Here is my write up:

Wed Oct 24: Surgery date with nvision performed by Jeff Machat SmartSurfacePRK
Day 1-2, discomfort, feels like wearing an old contact lens. at times there is sharp pain (8/10) when the contact lens shifts out of place.
Day 3, able to watch TV
Day 5, able to remove the contact lens and able to drive.
Day 9, return back to work

Currently, it is close to 20/20. Everyday life is fine, I have some trouble with working and looking at spreadsheets all day. I need to take breaks and take eye drops.

All in all, still healing to 20/20
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2017
1025 posts
257 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 5:00 pm
http://lasikcomplications.com/

Some people get extremely dry eyes they cannot cope with.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/w5-investigat ... -1.4141117 --> there are also some emerging reports and studies of rare neuropathic pain/syndromes related to LASIK or PRK healing gone awry. To briefly summarize, some people's nerves don't heal properly or become extremely sensitive after the surgeries, to the point that they are either very reactive to light or constantly firing "pain" signals to the brain. This also sometimes occurs in other surgeries or injuries in other parts of the body and it's hard to predict why or to whom it happens. This is sometimes managed by using medications such as gabapentin or pregabalin (anti-seizure class), or SSRI/SNRI/TCA (antidepressants.)
Thanks for informing everyone. It's always important to look at the negatives and positives before undergoing such a hardcore procedure.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)