Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2019 8:59 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 285. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

52%
No

14%
Pizza is yummy

33%
Feb 22, 2007
38 posts
Toronto
ohfive wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 6:26 pm
I had ICL done at Bochner last year and absolutely no regrets. Still see great 20/20 but as you may have read, halls at night may be an issue but it doesn’t bother me really. I think you get used to it as time goes on. No dry eyes either which is a plus. I could basically see immediately right after the procedure was done but took about a week for the light sensitivity and tiredness to go away.
Thanks for sharing your experience! What was your prescription beforehand? Was ICL presented as the best option for you? Are the possible side effects the same as any of the other procedures?
Dec 31, 2016
43 posts
6 upvotes
drtse wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 10:14 am
Thanks for sharing your experience! What was your prescription beforehand? Was ICL presented as the best option for you? Are the possible side effects the same as any of the other procedures?
My prescription was -10 in both eyes. And yes it was suggested to me at my consultation at Bochner. I can’t say what the side effects are of the other procedures since it was not offered to me but they will explain everything during the consultation.

I was hesitant before doing it but now I really don’t remember what it was like before ICL. It has been great being able to wake up and see clearly right away!
Feb 22, 2018
3 posts
my prescription is -7 on the left eye and -6.5 on the right eye. with a bit of astigmatism. My corneal thickness is 518 on the left and 524 for the right. I was told by Nvision that i can do either Lasik or PRK. Patient consultant seems to recommend Lasik more than PRK due to shorter recovery time. Dr. Machat said with PRK i can save 100 corneal thickness. is my eye regress, touch up after Lasik is a little more complicated. So i am very indecisive between the two. I am scared about the pain and recovery time for PRK.... I dont want to book too many days off from work, but at same time would like to leave more cornea if anything happens.
Jan 5, 2012
16 posts
4 upvotes
Brampton
drtse wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 10:13 am
Endeav, do you think you could have gone back to work earlier and worked pretty normally? I'd like to go back to work after 4 days...fortunately I don't have to work with computers.

Also, did you have any significant astigmatism?
I could have gone back to work after 3 days to be honest, any pain and tiredness were gone. Just try to avoid really bright environments, which i couldnt really do at the airport.
Feb 22, 2007
38 posts
Toronto
So I just finished my consultation at TLC Yonge & Eglinton...they recommended PRK for me because of my higher prescription so that if a touch up is required at a later date, I will have enough corneal tissue to spare and because I am applying for firefighting.

They have a deal right now where they will take $1000 off the regular price of $5200 if I have it done before the end of February. Or they can give me $500 off as a firefighters (police/EMS/military) discount if done after February. Pretty huge savings right there that can't be ignored.

I wish my consult with Nvision was sooner so I could compare. As it stands, it is not until Jan 29th and there are no sooner appointments.

TLC pretty much said I would need a full week off work = loss of income so the $1000 discount would be helpful to offset.

WIth Smartsurface PRK at Nvision, I am thinking maybe only 3 days off work but no guarantee...but sounds like the price is generally around $5100.

Hard to say if traditional PRK or Smartsurface PRK will be that much better from a clinical point of view or cost savings point of view.

TLC says only 24 hours of no contact lenses prior to surgery....Nvision apparently wants you off contacts for 2 whole weeks. Why the big difference in pre-surgical procedure?
Feb 22, 2007
38 posts
Toronto
Endeav wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 12:19 am
I don't know if it's cause it was the Schwind platform + Smartsurface or all LASIK ends up like this, but it's 12 am, my eyes were lasered around 240 pm, and currently I feel no discomfort in my eyes, not even dryness. I have never felt dry eye before my procedure, so maybe I do have dry eye now and simply don't feel it. In any case, the soreness is completely gone and my eyes feel like they have any other day of my life.

Day 1 followup at 1 pm today, genuinely curious what my CDVA is right now, but I'd ballpark 20/30
Endeav, I thought Smartsurface was only for PRK procedures? Do you mind me asking what you paid for your surgery at Nvision?
Jan 5, 2012
16 posts
4 upvotes
Brampton
drtse wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 12:42 pm
So I just finished my consultation at TLC Yonge & Eglinton...they recommended PRK for me because of my higher prescription so that if a touch up is required at a later date, I will have enough corneal tissue to spare and because I am applying for firefighting.

They have a deal right now where they will take $1000 off the regular price of $5200 if I have it done before the end of February. Or they can give me $500 off as a firefighters (police/EMS/military) discount if done after February. Pretty huge savings right there that can't be ignored.

I wish my consult with Nvision was sooner so I could compare. As it stands, it is not until Jan 29th and there are no sooner appointments.

TLC pretty much said I would need a full week off work = loss of income so the $1000 discount would be helpful to offset.

WIth Smartsurface PRK at Nvision, I am thinking maybe only 3 days off work but no guarantee...but sounds like the price is generally around $5100.

Hard to say if traditional PRK or Smartsurface PRK will be that much better from a clinical point of view or cost savings point of view.

TLC says only 24 hours of no contact lenses prior to surgery....Nvision apparently wants you off contacts for 2 whole weeks. Why the big difference in pre-surgical procedure?
TLC (Mississauga) told me the same 1k discount if I booked by end of December, I'm pretty sure they do this all the time.

NVISION will be 4600 if you simply mention discounts, including LA fitness and referrals. There was a rfd thread that detailed this, but when i talked to May I simply mentioned discounts and she dropped instantly from 5100 to 4600.

The contacts thing, usually I saw a requirement for weeks ahead of time, because contacts change the shape of your eyes and obviously this would be bad before refractive surgery. Different time requirements are probably due to doctor comfort, or what the manufacturer of the laser says.

If you really need to go back to work after 3 days, I'd really suggest talking to the surgeon at TLC or Nvision and see what they have to say if you are having PRK. By the way, Dr. Machat at Nvision did say at my prescription level, -9, he would say PRK would have a 20% chance of having to have an enhancement done since PRK is less accurate with high prescriptions, one of the additional reasons he recommended lasik for me.
Last edited by Endeav on Jan 15th, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 5, 2012
16 posts
4 upvotes
Brampton
drtse wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 12:58 pm
Endeav, I thought Smartsurface was only for PRK procedures? Do you mind me asking what you paid for your surgery at Nvision?
Smartsurface indeed for PRK, the process is related to SmartPulse which does apply to Lasik. I couldn't tell you technically what SmartPulse does for Lasik, but my post Lasik recovery ended up a bit different than others I had talked to personally. 10 people at work said they had discomfort and moderate pain following lasik, I had no pain and my discomfort was, well, not really discomforting at all. All 10 at work had Lasik at LasikMD between 1 and 5 years beforehand, none on the Schwind platform.

May at Nvision told me 5100, I simply mentioned LA fitness and friend referral (didn't even name anyone) and she said it would be 4600, for PRK or Lasik.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1535 posts
859 upvotes
Endeav wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 10:26 pm
Smartsurface indeed for PRK, the process is related to SmartPulse which does apply to Lasik. I couldn't tell you technically what SmartPulse does for Lasik, but my post Lasik recovery ended up a bit different than others I had talked to personally. 10 people at work said they had discomfort and moderate pain following lasik, I had no pain and my discomfort was, well, not really discomforting at all. All 10 at work had Lasik at LasikMD between 1 and 5 years beforehand, none on the Schwind platform.
Yup, SmartPulse does help a little with LASIK, especially with straight off the table visual acuity scores after LASIK, but LASIK recovers so quickly that its not really much of an event the day after. The biggest impact, by far, is on transPRK patients for which the smoothing algorithm and the laser removal of the epithelium really helps speed recovery along and allegedly reduces the possibility of haze.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2004
1761 posts
3 upvotes
Burlington
Hello all, Lots of info! thanks. I do have a few questions, considering getting a procedure done at some point in the near future, looking for recommendations on clinics around Burlington or Mississauga (or anywhere in between/around) . I'm considering all laser lasic (not sure I can deal with the long recovery of PRK) or Smile (if available / is a good option).
Feb 22, 2007
38 posts
Toronto
So I had my Nvision consultation today and Dr. Melville ended up recommending that I do a double LASIK (Dr. Melville said I would likely have to do a 2nd touchup after 3 months given the severity of my prescription and the eye naturally regressing) OR consider refractive lens exchange. I asked about transPRK w/ SmartSurface as a possibility and she said that given that I would likely need a 2nd procedure, it would be easier to perform and recover from with a corneal flap made by LASIK. In the end she was leaning more towards the LASIK route but said she was going to speak with Dr. Machat to see what he felt would be my best long term outcome. My corneal thickness is 565 um and my eyes are healthy otherwise.

The refractive lens exchange would cost >$9000 but I wouldn't have to worry about distance or close-up vision nor worry about cataracts later in life.

Interestingly, TLC recommended PRK instead of LASIK....would have thought it'd be the other way around. Go figure.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1535 posts
859 upvotes
drtse wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 3:53 pm
So I had my Nvision consultation today and Dr. Melville ended up recommending that I do a double LASIK (Dr. Melville said I would likely have to do a 2nd touchup after 3 months given the severity of my prescription and the eye naturally regressing) OR consider refractive lens exchange. I asked about transPRK w/ SmartSurface as a possibility and she said that given that I would likely need a 2nd procedure, it would be easier to perform and recover from with a corneal flap made by LASIK. In the end she was leaning more towards the LASIK route but said she was going to speak with Dr. Machat to see what he felt would be my best long term outcome. My corneal thickness is 565 um and my eyes are healthy otherwise.
From what I understand, PLEC does those sorts of cases all the time one-shot with a pretty good track record. And Dr. Lin's specialty is treating high astigmatism, particularly in the context of diseased corneas, but certainly the skills and experience are very valuable in non-diseased cases such as yours. 565um is lots of cornea. If I were you, I'd be inclined to seriously consider the Vancouver route, having it all probably done as a single SmartSurfACE transPRK procedure. Yes, if your astigmatism is higher, there is a statistically greater chance of needing a re-treatment, but the PLEC re-treatment record is well under 1% across all elective refractive cases.
The refractive lens exchange would cost >$9000 but I wouldn't have to worry about distance or close-up vision nor worry about cataracts later in life.
Sounds like a multifocal implant. There are some downsides to those.
Interestingly, TLC recommended PRK instead of LASIK....would have thought it'd be the other way around. Go figure.
Yeah you didn't post your full prescription, but one of your previous posts indicated you're a -8 or so, and then maybe throw on 2-3D of astigmatism, that's a lot of tissue to remove for LASIK.
Sep 3, 2008
162 posts
3 upvotes
How did you find TLC? I also just had a consult and they recommended PRK as my cornea isn't thick enough for lasik. My prescription is - 4. 2 for both eyes. I was also told about the $1000 discount.

What I didn't like is the way they kind of brushed off my questions. I emailed them with questions, and they replied asking me to book my time off, but didn't answer a single question. Leaves a bad taste.

I think I will pass on doing a procedure in Feb, and go for a few more consultations at different places.
Oct 2, 2007
86 posts
Got Smart surface surgery completed at PLEC last Thursday.

I was roughly
-7.25 -2x170 on left eye and -7.25 -2.5x 180 on the right eye. (corneal thickness of 461mm i think)

I planned the trip from Toronto with business meetings the few days prior and surgery on the Thursday. Surgery went well, Dr.Lin initially recommended CXL after the PRK but decided against it after discussing my historical use of corticosteroids for another disorder and their effect on my vision.
Surgery was painless, afterwords I couldn't see much due to my high myopia however I had some friends take me to dinner the same night. Post op appointment was great, I was seeing 20/40 with eye drops and Dr.Lin said I would hit some better numbers with recovery. The same day I had my flight cancelled by WestJet and I had to reschedule from a direct flight to a layover flight. Luckily I declared myself visually impaired and everyone at the airport including WestJet were very accommodating.
Day 3 and 4 were when the pain kicked in. I've been wearing sunglasses all day indoors to help with the ghosting but today is day 5 and I can see roughly 20/50 with some ghosting (good enough for light computer and tv use). The pain is still around however, it feels like my eyes are burning but tylenol definitely helps.

For anyone trying to plan ahead, if your surgery is at 2pm then the pain won't hit you until around 2pm on the third day rather than the morning (I thought I would be fine getting off the tylenol but once the pain hit at 2pm, I had a hard time keeping my eyes open).

Things are looking good and I look forward to going back to work on Monday.
@burnt69 and peanutz I was told to wear sunglasses even at night when outside. Was this something you were told as well? If not I'm wonder when would be a good time to stop wearing them at night (don't want to be known as the guy wearing sunglasses at night)? And any idea sunglasses should be worn in well lit rooms? My office is pretty well lit and was wondering if there would be any harm in not wearing sunglasses indoors?
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1535 posts
859 upvotes
sunny5011 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 12:52 pm
@burnt69 and peanutz I was told to wear sunglasses even at night when outside. Was this something you were told as well? If not I'm wonder when would be a good time to stop wearing them at night (don't want to be known as the guy wearing sunglasses at night)? And any idea sunglasses should be worn in well lit rooms? My office is pretty well lit and was wondering if there would be any harm in not wearing sunglasses indoors?
I believe the goal of wearing sunglasses, after the acute recovery phase, is to protect against UV radiation that can cause haze formation. The 'requirement' to wear sunglasses at night when outside sounds quite bizarre. I certainly was given no such advice. You might want to re-confirm such advice with the patient counsellor that you can contact at the clinic, or with your optometrist who can place the inquiry to the surgeon's office. Official advice may also have been communicated to you in writing (my PLEC materials are long filed away in a filing cabinet...).

Just out of curiosity, were you a previous (soft) contact lens wearer? I do believe that PRK recovery experiences can be quite different from those who were accustomed to long-term soft contact lens use, and those for which wearing a soft contact lens is a first time experience when they undergo PRK.