Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2019 11:10 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 289. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

15%
Pizza is yummy

33%
Oct 2, 2007
87 posts
1 upvote
burnt69 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 3:38 pm
I believe the goal of wearing sunglasses, after the acute recovery phase, is to protect against UV radiation that can cause haze formation. The 'requirement' to wear sunglasses at night when outside sounds quite bizarre. I certainly was given no such advice. You might want to re-confirm such advice with the patient counsellor that you can contact at the clinic, or with your optometrist who can place the inquiry to the surgeon's office. Official advice may also have been communicated to you in writing (my PLEC materials are long filed away in a filing cabinet...).

Just out of curiosity, were you a previous (soft) contact lens wearer? I do believe that PRK recovery experiences can be quite different from those who were accustomed to long-term soft contact lens use, and those for which wearing a soft contact lens is a first time experience when they undergo PRK.
Thanks, I'll contact them and ask. It maybe the counsellor said to wear them at night only during the time I had the bandage contact lens in. Do windows allow UV radiation to come through?

And yes I wore soft toric contact lenses for about 7-8 years. In the last year they became uncomfortable due to reoccurring dryness. The documentation suggested taking ibuprofen and tylenol up until day 3 however due to the pain i've taken a pill or two during day 4 and 5 (just extra strength tylenol). I'll be honest, I didn't expect this much pain. The experience of some of the people who underwent T-prk with similar prescriptions in this thread made it seem like pain was minimal.
Feb 22, 2007
45 posts
Toronto
mojook wrote:
Jan 30th, 2019 2:19 pm
How did you find TLC? I also just had a consult and they recommended PRK as my cornea isn't thick enough for lasik. My prescription is - 4. 2 for both eyes. I was also told about the $1000 discount.
My corneal thickness was fine but he said he wanted to preserve as much cornea as possible in case an enhancement is required later. But still recommended PRK instead of Lasik.

I went in with a list of 20 questions on paper and was able to ask them all without feeling rushed or brushed off. I did think the examining optometrist sort of played dumb about not knowing about transPRK as an alternative to regular PRK. The overall experience was fine. Pretty thorough. I think NVision did one additional eye test that TLC didn't. In contrast, Bochner did not do the spinning wheel test nor the air puff test. I haven't tried contacting them after the consultation so no comment there.
Last edited by drtse on Feb 5th, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 22, 2007
45 posts
Toronto
Had my consultation at Bochner this morning...the consultant said that my overall prescription (which includes the myopia and astigmatism) is like having -9 left and -10 right and with such a high prescription, recommended regular PRK instead of Lasik.

My prescription from last year was L -750 -3.25 009 and R -850 -2.25 180 and after the Bochner exam she said thinks my optometrist had been undercorrecting to help my early stage presbyopia.

So TLC and Bochner have recommeded PRK while Nvision recommends double Lasik...

I'm a bit confused on who to trust and go with now.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1662 posts
913 upvotes
sunny5011 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 4:00 pm
Thanks, I'll contact them and ask. It maybe the counsellor said to wear them at night only during the time I had the bandage contact lens in. Do windows allow UV radiation to come through?
I was advised to wear the big shades they gave me for the first night, overnight, and upon the next day follow-up, was relieved of such requirement.
And yes I wore soft toric contact lenses for about 7-8 years. In the last year they became uncomfortable due to reoccurring dryness. The documentation suggested taking ibuprofen and tylenol up until day 3 however due to the pain i've taken a pill or two during day 4 and 5 (just extra strength tylenol). I'll be honest, I didn't expect this much pain. The experience of some of the people who underwent T-prk with similar prescriptions in this thread made it seem like pain was minimal.
Yeah it was literally a zero pain/discomfort process for me and I discontinued oral pain medication by the 2nd day. Obviously there's a certain danger of extrapolating my experience to everyone else's situation. Fortunately, aside from occasional bouts with dryness, you're probably through most of the worst of the recovery process.
Mar 1, 2018
5 posts
Hello,
Recently found this thread and have been digging back through it looking at information. I have a pre-operative consult in Calgary at Clarity Laser Vision tomorrow (will found out then which one I am getting, but leaning towards Trans PRK with smartsurFACE. Had the free consult already and was found to be a candidate. Tomorrow is a lot more extensive testing and you get to meet with the surgeon, and surgery is planned for this Friday.

A little background on me. I am 19 and do not wear glasses or contacts (though I do have a pair). I have one good eye (20/15...got some lines on 20/10 even), but my other eye not so much. I was told it was 20/200 by LasikMD, but Clarity said it was 20/80. Nonetheless, it is not great. I am beginning flight school in September, and I need to get my Category 1 Transport Canada Medical before then. I know I would not pass the medical without glasses (nor would I feel comfortable flying with my eyes the way they are...I struggle mostly at night and then if I ever get something in my good eye obviously it would be bad). Since I am looking at a lifelong career here, and have never had to wear glasses (and being honest, just don't really want to start), I have been looking into options for getting refractive surgery before doing my medical.

I know I will be getting a lot more information tomorrow, but just wanted to get some feedback from the community, and hear any advice.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1662 posts
913 upvotes
Skiff123 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 12:49 pm
Nonetheless, it is not great. I am beginning flight school in September, and I need to get my Category 1 Transport Canada Medical before then.
Review this: https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... rgery.html

6 months should be quite sufficient. You'll probably be off steroids in 2-3 months.

Dr. Lin claims SmartSurfACE works great for low prescriptions:
Nov 21, 2014
429 posts
383 upvotes
Atlantic
Skiff123 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 12:49 pm

A little background on me. I am 19
Has your prescription been stable for at least a few years?

My initial thought to a 19 year old getting laser eye surgery would be absolutely not. Given your young age, there is still a lot of time for your eye prescription to change. I would tend towards being mid to late 20s to get laser eye correction to maximize the benefit time.

You still have 6 months before flight school, would recommend you get used to wearing glasses and passing the medical with them.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1662 posts
913 upvotes
EasyCompany251 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 7:52 pm
Has your prescription been stable for at least a few years?

My initial thought to a 19 year old getting laser eye surgery would be absolutely not. Given your young age, there is still a lot of time for your eye prescription to change. I would tend towards being mid to late 20s to get laser eye correction to maximize the benefit time.

You still have 6 months before flight school, would recommend you get used to wearing glasses and passing the medical with them.
20/80 VA means he's probably like -1.5 or something very low. They can safely overcorrect him by a fairly decent amount, ie: 0.5 to 1D, which should take care of any regression he'll ever suffer for the rest of his life.

The problem with undergoing treatment while working is that, at least for PRK, its going to be 2-3 months off, *minimum*. As Transport Canada, per that link above, won't even consider an application while a pilot is on steroid therapy. 2-3 months (or more) off could be a big problem for employers, not to mention a huge loss of income.
Jul 21, 2009
678 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
Any other reputable clinics in Toronto that do Smart Surface besides nvision? No appointments available until end of march and another 2+ weeks after that before I can even do the surgery.

I'm looking to get this procedure done in march since I have some free time.
Mar 1, 2018
5 posts
I only knew of nvision in Toronto. I think there is a clinic in Winnipeg, but that’s the only other that would be closest to you (as far as I know)!
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1662 posts
913 upvotes
Skiff123 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 5:10 pm
I only knew of nvision in Toronto. I think there is a clinic in Winnipeg, but that’s the only other that would be closest to you (as far as I know)!
I thought I read something about Laservue in Montreal finally getting the SmartSurfACE software...
Mar 1, 2018
5 posts
Ohhh okay interesting. Yeah the more places that get it, the better. I think it really makes a difference. I had to take no pain medication at all with my procedure. Recovery was a breeze.
Jul 21, 2009
678 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
Skiff123 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 7:03 pm
Ohhh okay interesting. Yeah the more places that get it, the better. I think it really makes a difference. I had to take no pain medication at all with my procedure. Recovery was a breeze.
How many days was your recovery or until you could drive/return to work?
Mar 1, 2018
5 posts
submarine wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2019 11:30 am
So I went back to work on the following Tuesday. I just wore the dark sunglasses they provided indoors, and kept up with my drops. Just got the contact lens out this morning. My vision is quite poor in that eye. Couldn’t read much of the charts. It was 20/40 one day post-op, so it’s gotten worse, but it’s all normal apparently. I’m legal to drive now, but I think i was anyway cause I do have the one good eye.

I go back in another week, so hopefully I’ll be seeing some improvement by then.

Any other questions are welcomed.
Oct 2, 2007
87 posts
1 upvote
submarine wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2019 11:30 am
Thought I'd chime in as well since I'm nearing the 1 month mark. Got smart surface prk surgery done on January 31 at PLEC. Got bandage lens removed 8 days after (saw 20/40 with a lot of haze and ghosting). Went back to work the monday of that week (day 11) and was suffering from a lot of light sensitivity. Kept sunglasses on during working times to help with light sensitivity and haze and had my fonts larger, as well as a lot of breaks. Sensitivity and vision improved by the end of the week (began driving during this time) and from the steroid drop taper. I'm sitting on day 25 and vision is great, eyes aren't that dry, light sensitivity is practically gone. I've noticed that the day I decrease my steroid drop usage (according to their instructions) is when my vision gets worse but gets even better as the week goes on.
Prescription was -7.25 sphere and roughly -2 cylinder each eye