Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2019 5:29 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 321. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

15%
Pizza is yummy

32%
Nov 20, 2018
13 posts
7 upvotes
Mississauga
Long time follower first time poster. This has been a great resource.

I went for my first Corrective Eye Surgery Consultation at TLC in Oakville, ON this weekend. Overall was a good experience. Based on their preliminary tests, I am eligible for Bladeless Lasik. My prescription is around -4.50 in both eyes with a slight 0.25 astigmatism. The visit took approximately 1.5 hrs and involved jumping on different machines and speaking to different people.

When I finally saw the optometrist they seemed to do a thorough check and noticed some scarring under my iris on both eyes. They think it's caused by eye dandruff that forms on my eye lids. The optometrist mentioned it is low enough that it shouldn't affect the surgery however they recommend I come in again to have the Surgeon/Ophthalmologist take a look. I'll be going back in a few weeks. More to come on this later...

They quoted $4,200 ($1,000 off) for the procedure and quoted some promotion they are running in October. Honestly the price is secondary.

My biggest concern right now is that I've been told I dry eyes but it's never bothered me. The Optometrist at TLC mentioned that about 5% of patients experience dry eye symptoms that are prolonged after 6 months after the surgery.

I still intend on getting another opinion at another clinic. Does anyone have any experience at Bochner in Oakville?
Sep 11, 2017
14 posts
1 upvote
rolloutg wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2019 3:04 pm
I had transPRK done by Dr. Machat at TLC on August 7.

Up until August 7, I was fully expecting alcohol ablation as this was what I was told I would be receiving, though the fact that I knew my surgeon was going to be Machat did give me pause, making me wonder what I would be getting. It wasn't until I actually met and talked with Dr. Machat 20 minutes before the procedure where he went over what was going to happen was I told that it would be transPRK. I didn't ask him if he brought over his laser (moot point as @burnt69 has pointed out that it's up for sale).
Is this the same as the SmartsurfACE trans prk treatment?
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2233 posts
1182 upvotes
MarcoV541850 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 2:23 pm
Is this the same as the SmartsurfACE trans prk treatment?
No. Dr. Machat now uses a Alcon/Wavelight EX500 laser at the clinic he practices at (TLC apparently), which has "StreamLight" transPRK. The other transPRK is SmartSurfACE on the Schwind Amaris laser.

Dr. Machat used to be associated with a clinic that used a Schwind Amaris laser.

So he may very well be one of the only surgeons in the world with experience on both platforms.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9581 posts
2444 upvotes
AndrewM13304 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 10:09 am

I went for my first Corrective Eye Surgery Consultation at TLC in Oakville, ON this weekend. Overall was a good experience. Based on their preliminary tests, I am eligible for Bladeless Lasik. My prescription is around -4.50 in both eyes with a slight 0.25 astigmatism. The visit took approximately 1.5 hrs and involved jumping on different machines and speaking to different people.

When I finally saw the optometrist they seemed to do a thorough check and noticed some scarring under my iris on both eyes. They think it's caused by eye dandruff that forms on my eye lids. The optometrist mentioned it is low enough that it shouldn't affect the surgery however they recommend I come in again to have the Surgeon/Ophthalmologist take a look. I'll be going back in a few weeks. More to come on this later...

They quoted $4,200 ($1,000 off) for the procedure and quoted some promotion they are running in October. Honestly the price is secondary.

My biggest concern right now is that I've been told I dry eyes but it's never bothered me. The Optometrist at TLC mentioned that about 5% of patients experience dry eye symptoms that are prolonged after 6 months after the surgery.

I still intend on getting another opinion at another clinic. Does anyone have any experience at Bochner in Oakville?
I'm not up to date but I highly suggest getting PRK vs Lasik. No clue how the new Lasik is but in 2006 tech you would only remain with 10% integrity of the flap and having it dislodge is a big deal
Feb 26, 2014
364 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
AndrewM13304 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 10:09 am

Did you see Bochner in Oakville yet?
I've got an appointment for TLC on Friday and Bochner next Friday, both in Oakville. I'll update my experience after my Bochner consultation.
Nov 20, 2018
13 posts
7 upvotes
Mississauga
steez03 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 12:49 pm
Did you see Bochner in Oakville yet?
I've got an appointment for TLC on Friday and Bochner next Friday, both in Oakville. I'll update my experience after my Bochner consultation.
Headed to Bochner on November 5th. Let me know what you think. From what they told me over the phone, Bochner only does the surgeries downtown and Dr Stein is still doing them.

I'm aiming to do the surgery by the end of the year so I'd be curious to get your opinion. Good luck.
Jan 12, 2008
936 posts
200 upvotes
Vancouver
Prepping for my Surgery at the beginning of November. Had my 1st Pre-Op at my Optometrists, cost $150. I must say the dilation at this appointment was much worse than the one i had at London Eye Center during my consultation. That one was very mild and gone in 30 minutes. The effects of this one lasted more than 24 hours but driving was easy. Couldn't see my speedometer, but could see the road haha.

I also realized i don't do well with eye drops, which is worrisome. On that note, did you guys buy Systane Bion Tears? I saw on cocowest, costco is carrying them much cheaper than anywhere else.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2233 posts
1182 upvotes
thefeebster wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2019 3:14 am
Prepping for my Surgery at the beginning of November. Had my 1st Pre-Op at my Optometrists, cost $150. I must say the dilation at this appointment was much worse than the one i had at London Eye Center during my consultation. That one was very mild and gone in 30 minutes. The effects of this one lasted more than 24 hours but driving was easy. Couldn't see my speedometer, but could see the road haha.
PLEC? Yes the cycloplegic refraction drops can be very strong. Its sort of a preview of how things will be when you've fully lost your accommodation due to presbyopia.
I also realized i don't do well with eye drops, which is worrisome. On that note, did you guys buy Systane Bion Tears? I saw on cocowest, costco is carrying them much cheaper than anywhere else.
Make sure you get the preservative-free type in the individual dose vials.
Feb 26, 2019
13 posts
3 upvotes
Going for a consult with Laservue in Montreal on Wednesday. Any recommended questions to ask/anyone have a list of things I should be checking out? They do the smartsurface trans PRK as well which is what I'm interested in primarily.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2233 posts
1182 upvotes
Penguin1389 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2019 10:42 am
Going for a consult with Laservue in Montreal on Wednesday. Any recommended questions to ask/anyone have a list of things I should be checking out? They do the smartsurface trans PRK as well which is what I'm interested in primarily.
Knowing your corneal thickness, prescription, and pupil size can somewhat give one an idea of where they fall on the overall range of treatment eligibility (with the help of an online calculator or two if needed).

But seriously, write down every question you possibly have concerning a procedure (any procedure), and then do your research to find your answers.

When I finally got into the pre-op room with my surgeon, I had almost nothing to ask him because I was so well researched.
Jan 5, 2014
7 posts
5 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
I'm having quite a bit of difficulty finding LASIK places in Brampton/Mississauga that do consultations on the weekends. That, or everyone is fully booked for consultations on the weekends for the next few weeks lol.

Other than TLC Oakville, does anyone else do weekend consultations?
Feb 26, 2014
364 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
AndrewM13304 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 1:00 pm
Headed to Bochner on November 5th. Let me know what you think. From what they told me over the phone, Bochner only does the surgeries downtown and Dr Stein is still doing them.

I'm aiming to do the surgery by the end of the year so I'd be curious to get your opinion. Good luck.
So I had a consultation from both TLC and Bochner, both in Oakville. Nothing really pushed me away from either company in terms of how the consultation went. TLC consultation took around 1.5 hours as opposed to 30 mins with Bochner, TLC was busier and I had to wait 20-30 mins before I started.

Like your visit at TLC, I went from station to station speaking to different people. They run a few tests on your eyes, then you see the optometrist to confirm my prescription and they told me I was a candidate for bladeless Lasik. My prescription is -3.75 and -2.75. I at that time I got to ask a few questions and chat about the procedure. From there, you see the booking clerk and you can schedule your pre-op visit, surgery and post surgery if you would like. You don't need to pay anything until the actual surgery. They quoted me $4200 (same idea as you, $5200 minus $1000 discount that I'm pretty sure they just give to everyone).

Bochner was a little different. My consultation was very quick, they bring you in and put you through a few tests (less than TLC). Then the consultant (not an optometrist) confirms your prescription. They do a more thorough test before the surgery, I believe they are just checking if you a candidate for Lasik or PRK, I was a candidate for LASIK once again. They said there wasn't anything concerning that they saw. Like they told you, they only do operations out of Toronto performed by Dr. Stein or there's another doctor, can't remember her name. They have different schedules for procedures and you must go back to Toronto for your next day post operation check up (for LASIK). After the next day check up, if you want to continue to follow up with Dr. Stein, you would have to the Toronto location, but the other doctor is available to see in Oakville after the first check up. I was quoted $5400 for the procedure.

I ended up choosing TLC based on convenience. Even though I would have liked to go with Dr. Stein, the doctor out of TLC, Dr. Ahmed, has an impressive resume as well. If I had gone with Bochner, I would have to take more days off and as well as my wife, drive downtown twice (plus more if I wanted to continue to follow up with Dr. Stein), and it would have been more expensive. TLC does all their procedures on Fridays, have your follow up on Saturday, and back to work on Monday.

My surgery is scheduled for Dec 6th, excited to have not to wear contacts anymore!!
Jan 12, 2008
936 posts
200 upvotes
Vancouver
My surgery is early next week at PLEC and since Thursday, i've had quite the anxiety. I'll definitely be taking that ativan they offer on the day of. Though its not the actual surgery i'm nervous about (i have faith in Lin and he said my case was textbook), its the recovery and how some take 6 months for it to be good. Anyone else get this anxiety before the surgery?

On another note, i've read such variance on day 2-4 recovery, some are going out for dinners, some are bed-ridden. I really don't want to inconvenience my family too much by staying long at their home and my dad threw a hissy fit, so i want to see if i can manage alone at home after my Day 1 post op appointment. Even on your worst/most painful day in recovery, would you be able to say walk a block or two to get food or even run a quick errand like pick up something from the post office? I am in the city center so there are a lot of food options within 2 blocks.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2233 posts
1182 upvotes
thefeebster wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2019 1:41 am
My surgery is early next week at PLEC and since Thursday, i've had quite the anxiety. I'll definitely be taking that ativan they offer on the day of. Though its not the actual surgery i'm nervous about (i have faith in Lin and he said my case was textbook), its the recovery and how some take 6 months for it to be good. Anyone else get this anxiety before the surgery?
I was really worried about how the first day or two after surgery would turn out, discomfort-wise. And was somewhat paranoid that terrible pain was going to hit me as soon as the topical anesthetic had dissipated. However, 2-3 hours later, nothing happened. I took a Tylenol and an Aleve or two in the evening, but just to make sure that it wasn't going to bother me at night. Was completely off the OTC pain medications the next day.
On another note, i've read such variance on day 2-4 recovery, some are going out for dinners, some are bed-ridden.
I was out for dinner the evening after the morning surgery and went shopping the afternoon after the morning surgery. But yes there can be some variation. I think long-term wearers of contact lenses have an easier time than those who are contact-lens naïve. The reason being, a "bandage contact lens" is fitted (its just a normal soft contact lens, that functions as a bandage) for the recovery. You have to keep it properly lubricated.
I really don't want to inconvenience my family too much by staying long at their home and my dad threw a hissy fit, so i want to see if i can manage alone at home after my Day 1 post op appointment. Even on your worst/most painful day in recovery, would you be able to say walk a block or two to get food or even run a quick errand like pick up something from the post office? I am in the city center so there are a lot of food options within 2 blocks.
I had no problem with that. Spent the afternoon and evening after my morning appointment at the airport, Maple Leaf Lounge, and easily self-served myself lots of food and drink. And at 10pm or so, walked to the gate for my flight. I don't see why you'd have any problem walking 2 blocks...