Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2019 1:32 am

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 322. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

52%
No

15%
Pizza is yummy

32%
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2445 posts
467 upvotes
Has anyone had experience with the intralase at Herzig?
Nov 5, 2019
3 posts
2 upvotes
Hi all,

First of all I want to thank all of the people who have contributed to this thread. I'm from Germany, but this thread is one of the best resources I found online!

I would like to ask some questions, and would really appreciate any input. I'll give a little bit of background next, but for those that don't want to read that much, please just scroll down to my questions at the end. I am super grateful for any feedback!

So, a little bit of background: I have always been interested in laser eye surgery, and have been extensively researching it since late 2015. I was close to surgery a few times. First time was end of 2015 when a co-worker had been successfully treated at a local clinic in Spain where I was working during that time. He told me that he had researched the surgeon to be very reputable and back then I didn't give it much thought and made an appointment straight away. After checking my eyes, they told me I could get LASIK, and I made an appointment for the surgery straight away (back then I didn't even know there was more than one procedure available). The day before my surgery I talked to another friend about my plans, and when he asked me if I was getting PRK or LASIK, I hesitated... He then asked me if I haven't researched at all, and that this was a serious operation. He told me that he had done PRK himself a decade ago and was super happy but that he had researched almost a year before doing it...and that he probably wouldn't have done it if only LASIK was available.

I immediately started to Google about the procedures, found some horror stories online and called the clinic and canceled because I needed more time.

I went for another consultancy, asked about PRK, but the surgeon told me, Flap complications would be so rare, I just shouldn't worry about it and moreover, PRK wouldn't give as good of results due to haze and unpredictable regression, and MMC could also potentially cause problems. Since it contradicted to what I had read online, it didn't give me a good feeling and I canceled surgery for the moment.

I kept researching a lot online and honestly, the more I read, the more unsure I got... Sometimes I wished, I would not have talked to my friend back then and just have gone through with it since I knew so many people that were perfectly happy after LASIK...

Fast forward to summer 2017: I was looking forward to a long backpacking trip to Latin America and thought, hmm, would be great to have it done before you go... Traveling with glasses and contacts will be a pain in the ass since I planned surfing, wild camping etc...

Since I felt that there wasn't enough time for the aftercare following PRK, I just thought, **** it, go with the LASIK procedure, millions of people that are happy can't be wrong... So I made again 3 appointments with local surgery places that I found with good reviews online. To my surprise, the other ones I tested where far worse regarding testing and discussing risks with me than the first surgeon I had talked to a year ago... so went back to the first one.

But since I was highly worried anyways, I asked him to just tell me if there was even the slightest risk for a bad outcome.... And, they said that one of my eyes had very slightly changed, but they told me, it would still not be a high risk, since the change was so minor that it could be just due to the daily performance of the eye.... But for me this was enough. Being the paranoid type of guy, I kind of felt relieved they took the decision away from me, went for glasses and daily contacts for 1 year instead and went traveling. Side fact: I got new glasses in Mexico in April 2018 and the optometrist told me that a very slight Astigmatism had developed in my right eye compared to the glasses I had with me (which had prescriptions from February 2017).

But as expected more often than not, contacts were a pain in the ass....

I came back end of last year and still was thinking about laser eye surgery... now I have another trip to Southeast Asia lined up for some time next year, and want to give it another try... A friend of mine started with contact sports and encourages me to try it as well. Since I am interested, I now definitely ruled out LASIK for me (and are happy I didn't do it back then!) which leaves me with SMILE or PRK.

After reading this great thread I only consider 2 options:

a) SMILE with Smile Eyes in Marburg, Germany where Dr. Sekundo does SMILE procedures. Since he's one of the founders of this procedure and did the first SMILE procedure ever, and since SMILE seems to be very dependent on surgeon skills and experience, it's the only SMILE option for me. Last week I had a consultation with them and I could do the thorough check the 21st of November and then do surgery the 25th.

b) SmartSurfACE PRK on the AMARIS 1050RS with Dr. Ortueta in Recklinghausen, Germany. I have a first appointment the 15th of November but I won't meet the surgeon at that date, only at the next date for the thorough scan.

Now finally to my questions :D

1) It seems most people on this thread are no fans of SMILE. Has this changed due to recent advancements in SMILE and a lot of studies showing that it actually seems more stable (regarding regression) and seems to induce less HOAs than LASEK/PRK? I already have minor Ghosting/Starbursts with contacts/glasses although not disturbing so this is a concern.

2) I am a bit worried about my prescription being stable. I have been using the same glasses for 4-5 years before getting new ones in Feb 17 and don't see much difference, if any, compared to my older ones. But as I said before, there seems to be a new minor astigmatism on my right eye, when I got them checked in April 2018 when getting new glasses for style reasons. Unfortunately I don't have that prescription since I lost those glasses due to a big wave in the ocean and I got them while traveling, so I cannot really compare that number from one and a half years ago to my current one... I also emailed the laser eye surgery place in Spain if they could send me the results from back then, but they didn't reply, so my latest refraction that I have available is from February 2017. I also found online that a change which is less < 0.5 per year is actually okay.

Honestly, I don't want to wait any longer, because I am already 33 and I feel like, if I don't do it now, there seems less and less point to get it done at all. And since it just keeps popping up again and again in my mind, I feel like I really want to do it to finally get this topic out of my mind and get rid of contacts and glasses which are starting to bother me more and more over the years... I feel like being glasses free would increase my quality of life tremendously even if I ended up 20/40 instead of 20/10 or whatever...

Also, I am asking myself: If my eyes have been stable let's say for 4 years and now the changed slightly, how would it have been different if I had done it back then (when they were stable), compared to doing it now, when they seem to have changed slightly? Isn't it actually even better to do it now than back then? (Meaning after the slight change has actually happened?). I will call the clinic in Spain tomorrow to ask again for my results offering to even pay for them, but otherwise the only definite number I have is from Feb. 2017.

What do you think, am I save to do it?

3) Somewhere here I read, that you shouldn't use eye drops for at least a month. I have (actually for the first time in my life) used eye drops a couple of days ago for 2 times, last time being the night from the 4th to the 5th. Actually I felt I had dry eyes because I was literally getting crazy over reading study after study, and thread after thread online, being online for countless hours just reading about laser eye surgery... I am really getting tired of researching and just want to have it done and move on.... The eye drops were just regular eye drops for tired eyes, prescription free from the pharmacy. If I stop taking them now, there won't be any problem, right?

4) People have mentioned tons of things to do or take before and after surgery on this thread, for example omega-3 supplements and vitamine C.
I just discovered this thread yesterday and don't have the time to go over all of it (it's freaking long :D). Would anybody be so kind to summarize best practice and advise me what I can do from now on till the surgery for the best result? Strangely, the guys from Smile Eyes in Marburg haven't lost a word on any of that...

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP OR ADVISE THAT YOU CAN OFFER!!! (and sorry for the probably too long of a post, just felt the need to share all this with people who went through the same...)
Feb 22, 2007
63 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I did my research and was set on doing SmartSurface PRK with a particular doctor here in Toronto. Unfortunately, he closed down his practice to join a larger group practice (TLC) for whatever reason so I ended up settling on the standard PRK procedure. It went very smoothly. I had no pain! Didn't even have to take a single Tylenol at any point post-surgically. My eyes healed up very quickly too. It is just over 6 months now and my left eye is 20/30 and right eye is 20/25. A touch of astigmatism remains in my left eye too. Prior to surgery I had severe myopia and astigmatism so it's a whole new world for me now. I am 47 and wish I had done this years ago now but was always fearful of the short and long term implications. In terms of supplements, I was doing high dosage fish oil capsules 2 weeks leading up to the surgery date and then high dose fish oil, Vitamin C and something called Eye-Matrix by Cytomatrix also. Perhaps all the supplements helped with healing and no having pain but who knows. The only downsides experienced so far...dry eye upon waking up each morning and now needing to wear reading glasses in dim light or very small print. Good luck!
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2267 posts
1203 upvotes
Boqueron wrote:
Nov 6th, 2019 9:37 am
b) SmartSurfACE PRK on the AMARIS 1050RS with Dr. Ortueta in Recklinghausen, Germany. I have a first appointment the 15th of November but I won't meet the surgeon at that date, only at the next date for the thorough scan.
Surely you've seen the Dr. de Ortueta videos on YouTube, right? He's a big advocate for not using MMC, and he's had very good results.
1) It seems most people on this thread are no fans of SMILE. Has this changed due to recent advancements in SMILE and a lot of studies showing that it actually seems more stable (regarding regression) and seems to induce less HOAs than LASEK/PRK? I already have minor Ghosting/Starbursts with contacts/glasses although not disturbing so this is a concern.
One has to be careful of those studies, and understand what they're really comparing. For instance, one of the big SMILE proponents in London advocates SMILE because its laser is capable of big optical zones. 7mm. He compares the HOA results to that of a typical PRK or LASIK on an older laser which may be limited to 6.5mm. He also compares to a well-known older-generation (ocular) wavefront-guided platform. The Schwind Amaris, however, can do optical zones of nearly the full treatment area possible (9.8mm I believe), and its algorithms do not tend to induce HOA's unlike the (ocular) WFG platforms.
2) I am a bit worried about my prescription being stable. I have been using the same glasses for 4-5 years before getting new ones in Feb 17 and don't see much difference, if any, compared to my older ones. But as I said before, there seems to be a new minor astigmatism on my right eye, when I got them checked in April 2018 when getting new glasses for style reasons. Unfortunately I don't have that prescription since I lost those glasses due to a big wave in the ocean and I got them while traveling, so I cannot really compare that number from one and a half years ago to my current one... I also emailed the laser eye surgery place in Spain if they could send me the results from back then, but they didn't reply, so my latest refraction that I have available is from February 2017. I also found online that a change which is less < 0.5 per year is actually okay.
Yes, you'll probably be fine. There are subtle differences in refracting technique. Usually the precise refraction is objectively determined, ie: a machine will determine it. And the surgeon uses his professional skill and discretion to verify that the proposed treatment makes sense given all of the measurements taken, objective, subjective, and under cycloplegia.
3) Somewhere here I read, that you shouldn't use eye drops for at least a month. I have (actually for the first time in my life) used eye drops a couple of days ago for 2 times, last time being the night from the 4th to the 5th. Actually I felt I had dry eyes because I was literally getting crazy over reading study after study, and thread after thread online, being online for countless hours just reading about laser eye surgery... I am really getting tired of researching and just want to have it done and move on.... The eye drops were just regular eye drops for tired eyes, prescription free from the pharmacy. If I stop taking them now, there won't be any problem, right?
My surgeon was very empathic that drops with vasoconstrictors were strictly off-limits (ie: "Visine"), and that only preservative free drops should be used prior to surgery. Dry eye should be stabilized prior to surgery. My Dr. prescribed high-dose Omega-3 supplement therapy. Which worked quite well.
Oct 26, 2019
1 posts
Hi All,

Incredibly useful information here, I've learned a ton from everyone's experiences here. I myself am considering doing laser surgery and have been to multiple consultations. I am now deciding between LASIK MD and TLC, and one area that I was comparing was the lifetime warranties. LASIKD MD has their lifetime vision enhancement plan and TLC has the TLC Lifetime Commitment. One of the exclusions for LASIK MD's plan seems to be that they won't do any enhancement if your vision is better than 20/30, and for TLC it seems that they are saying they won't do any enhancement if your vision is 20/40 or better. Can anyone confirm that my understanding of this is correct?
Jan 5, 2014
8 posts
10 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Boqueron wrote:

I initially wanted SMILE but my optometrist did not see an advantage in it for me. It was also more expensive than what I'm currently being quoted for LASIK ($5,700 at Herzig vs $4,200 at TLC), and I heard it was a more difficult procedure and there's not many surgeons doing it here yet... I'm just not sold on it.

I also found this information from Bochner, one of the most respected LASIK centres here in Toronto (they do not offer SMILE):

Report on SMILE vs LASIK: https://www.bochner.com/publications/ab ... les_26.pdf
Comparison chart between PRK/LASIK/SMILE: https://www.bochner.com/wp-content/uplo ... n_2019.pdf
Boqueron wrote:

I have been told to do the opposite - since I have slightly dry eyes right now, I need to be putting preservative-free artificial tears at least 3x per day prior to LASIK.

Here's some support for the idea:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18500091
http://crstodayeurope.com/wp-content/th ... OBrien.pdf
Boqueron wrote:

4) People have mentioned tons of things to do or take before and after surgery on this thread, for example omega-3 supplements and vitamine C.
I just discovered this thread yesterday and don't have the time to go over all of it (it's freaking long :D). Would anybody be so kind to summarize best practice and advise me what I can do from now on till the surgery for the best result? Strangely, the guys from Smile Eyes in Marburg haven't lost a word on any of that...
Omega-3 supplements are a real recommendation:
https://www.sciencebasedhealth.com/Asse ... udy_II.pdf
https://www.lasikmd.com/blog/omega-3s-eyes

Vitamin C is probably just for the immune system in general - I can't find anything else on that specifically relating to LASIK.
Nov 5, 2019
3 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks for all the replies, really appreciated!

@burnt69 Special thanks to you for all the valuable information and insight that you've shared in this tread! What's your take on not using MMC? Do you think it's a good idea not to use it? (I'm around -2.75 ; -3.00 so not a case of high myopia)

Also, I have been using Artelac Complete by Bausch + Lomb eye drops. The description says that they are preservative free, does that imply that they are vasoconstrictors-free? Sorry if my question is stupid, but I'm not really familiar with this topic.

@missy789 Thanks for your reply. I think Vitamine C is more relevant for PRK/LASEK. I found these links talking about it:

https://www.reviewofophthalmology.com/a ... mitomycinc
https://www.ophthalmologymanagement.com ... -or-mitomy
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2267 posts
1203 upvotes
Boqueron wrote:
Nov 11th, 2019 8:15 am
@burnt69 Special thanks to you for all the valuable information and insight that you've shared in this tread! What's your take on not using MMC? Do you think it's a good idea not to use it? (I'm around -2.75 ; -3.00 so not a case of high myopia)
Dr. de Ortueta's had good experience in *not* using it, and apparently not using MMC can decrease the incidence of dryness. I read somewhere that he might be doing some academic research or publishing a paper along those lines. A -3 isn't a case of high myopia at all. But even if you have to have MMC, its not a big deal. Its been used for decades in ophthalmic surgery, and evidence of harm is practically non-existent.
Also, I have been using Artelac Complete by Bausch + Lomb eye drops. The description says that they are preservative free, does that imply that they are vasoconstrictors-free? Sorry if my question is stupid, but I'm not really familiar with this topic.
Vasoconstrictor drops typically are marketed as "quick" cures for red eyes, ie: red eyes arising from drug abuse (for example). Just reading a quick Google search, I don't see any such medicinal ingredients in the "Artelac Complete" drops. But I am not a pharmacist or medical professional. You should discuss all of the medications you take, including drops, with your surgeon and/or his staff prior to undergoing treatment.
Nov 5, 2019
3 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks, burnt69.

I will discuss everything with the clinic on Friday and see what they say. I'll update here on how everything goes, already getting kind of excited :)

Btw, I found this interesting discussion between Ortueta and Yu et al. on the results of a study between LASEK and SMILE. Although I'm not competent enough to decide who's right, it's surely an interesting read:

The original study: Study

Ortueta's comment and Yu et al.'s answer on his comment below: Correspondence

Maybe someone can comment on whose arguments are more convincing :)
Jan 12, 2008
950 posts
201 upvotes
Vancouver
My Progress report!

Surgery Day at PLEC I was fine waiting and doing the paperwork but then for some reason, my nerves hit me again about 10 minutes before i went into pre-op. I did ask for an ativan but they said it would be given later (a bit too late imo and ended up probably too few for me). The ativan was given at the end of the pre-op talk, then you listen to a short audio clip which references the flashing green light. I understand that part, i swear. So i get into the surgery room, pretty nervous still as i only just took the ativan. They gave me the stress balls and i was clenched up as soon as they were in my hands. I had quite the trouble with putting the forceps on the right eye. Dr kept referencing looking at the flashing green light, but to be honest, i could not see it. It was black for me. But for the most part, the right eye was fine. The laser was like a light white light that moved in circles.

Now on to the left eye. I think Dr Lin will forever remember me because of this now. Getting the forceps on, fine, Laser was fine, BCL was put on and i was again fine. Then I lost the green light again, and started seeing shapes like this Windows 2000 screensaver and like if you were looking into a microscope and viewing bacterial slides. I couldn't focus on anything at that point and he was removing the forceps and i guess i reflexively moved, like a flinch, then i guess the forceps bumped my eye and BCL off. Lin did get quite mad at that point at me and then subsequently at his techs. It only made me more tense but i apologized a few times (it was my fault but i felt it was out of my control, not intentional at all). He was holding my head down this time, replaced my BCL, and got the forceps out.

I was kind of tense still as i went to the one of the exam rooms. I asked one of them if i really made him mad, she said he has a quick temper but then he calms down quickly. So i got 5 of the 6 letters on the 20/20 line with both eyes, he said i did quite well. But it did take about 5 bion tears in each eye to see it clearly. I suck at eye drops so i had troubles getting the hang of it once i got home. I slept most of this day, so i didn't really test my vision much at all.

Day 2 I had an early post op check up, so i was feeling quite tired. The tech gave me 2 bion tears in each eye and i was able to read the 20/20 line fully and quickly. Then i went to see Lin, he definitely remembered me. But he was back to his normal self, said it looked good. I noticed i was quite sensitive to light on the drive home. I had the general contact discomfort as a non-contact wearer ever, just like the eye lid seems to catch a ridge at times. I was sleeping most of this day as well, but when i did wake periodically, i got like this dull ache in my eyes, but only like 3 times. I decided to go home from my dad's house, on the drive there, i saw huge glare around traffic lights, but starburst around street lights. No halos though.

Day 3 I always had a low prescription (-1.25) but today was blurrier than it ever was without my glasses and fairly light sensitive. Kept with my supplements and drops. Of the drops they give you, i found the acuvail and Cipro sting the most and have this toxic/gassy aftertaste that enters your nasal cavity and mouth, glad this is the last day of acuvail, Slept a lot as it was hard to do much else, concentrating on screens was not an option today, even at 200% zoom and putting my eye 2 inches away from a 32" 1440p monitor, i watched a very blurry tv from afar and listened mostly. Only pain i felt was when i woke up at 2:30AM with a headache at like the center of my forehead. Took more advil and slept it off.

Day 4 More of the same as Day 3. No headache or pain though. I was physically feeling a lot better, less tired. The glasses they give you are a god send, because i am a face-toucher and they saved me many times awake and asleep, when i've caught myself trying to touch my eye. Starbursts at night are a lot smaller than before. I am using Biontears about every hour, more at night.

Day 5 I woke up and i instantly knew i could see better than the past two days. I could see the detail in my smoke detector and my popcorn ceiling from bed. I was able to see small text on my phone, I would say, my sight is a tad better than i was without my glasses today. But i did a couple taboo things today, had to drive unexpectedly when i really didn't want to until after the BCLs came out, risked it&forgot my sunglasses too because i was in such a rush and also had to drive at night too... wasn't a great decision i know, i had to pull over to put in biontears half way. I would not recommend night driving to anyone this early. Also hugged my SO and his head bumped my left eye on one of the rare times i wasn't wearing the provided shields, my left eye had an ache the rest of the night. I am kind of worried that it damaged my healing. But the BCLs look okay when i check in the mirror, still a worry that it hurt the epithelium.

Day 6 More so the same eye sight level as Day 5, i lowered all my PC chrome tabs to about 110-125% now, can read a very compact reddit on my phone. But i've been spending too much time on the computer/phone (more than they recommend) because i've been pretty bored. My eyes feel dry often and developed an itch in the left eye, feels like an itch from the BCL, but no ache from the day before. So i feel i've gone through a lot of bion tears today. No light sensitivity really.

Day 7 Improvement in clarity for all text, very sharp now, like i don't think i saw text quite this sharp with glasses, back down to 100-110% on most sites. But still intermittent blurring after prolonged usage. Also, tested some long distance vision, i live in the city and the buildings a block away with my glasses had a 2D effect in that i saw them as a big structure, could see the outlines for the windows, but it was flat in texture. Judging the depth and where the balconies jutted out was difficult with glasses, even with my low Rx. Now i notice i can see the balconies, i can even see the things ppl have on them. I feel better with screen viewing today for longer periods of the day. My eyes feel a lot less dry during the day time, then around 5PM, they get so dry and i went through 4 bion tears vials until bed time. Night time sight is looking better, light sources are small but with starburst still, i was looking from my window to an intersection a block away, i can see the cross walk count down timer fairly clearly, which is impressive.

Day 8 BCL Removal. I felt comfortable driving there. The removal went smoothly, but it did feel like someone taking the sticky part of a bandaid off my eye. I asked him about the bump to my left eye, he said it looks fine and is healing like normal. So that's good. I got 20/20 in each eye pretty quickly. An hour later, it feels really nice without the BCL, really emphasized how much of the discomfort is from the BCL. Kind of nervous about the ointment, but it was easier to put in than i imagined and feels very lubricating, very much like polysporin for your eyes.

The only thing i've taken other than prescribed/recommended is Vitamin C. Thanks again, burnt for all your advice, its been really helpful.
Jan 5, 2014
8 posts
10 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
I don't need reading glasses currently but I'm at -5 in both eyes right now. When I read, I take off my glasses to be comfortable - my close up vision is fantastic. When I wear contacts, reading up close is very hard and I have difficulty focusing. My eye doctor says I should expect some of my very close up vision to be gone, but I should be able to comfortably read without reading glasses until I'm much older and I just have to "work at it". Someone swears to me that they immediately had to switch to reading glasses after LASIK even though they didn't need it previously.

Can people weigh in with personal experiences regarding their close-up vision after LASIK? Did you have difficulty re-training yourself to read up close?
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2267 posts
1203 upvotes
missy789 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2019 8:19 am
I don't need reading glasses currently but I'm at -5 in both eyes right now. When I read, I take off my glasses to be comfortable - my close up vision is fantastic. When I wear contacts, reading up close is very hard and I have difficulty focusing. My eye doctor says I should expect some of my very close up vision to be gone, but I should be able to comfortably read without reading glasses until I'm much older and I just have to "work at it". Someone swears to me that they immediately had to switch to reading glasses after LASIK even though they didn't need it previously.

Can people weigh in with personal experiences regarding their close-up vision after LASIK? Did you have difficulty re-training yourself to read up close?
Think of having LASIK/PRK/SMILE as having contact lenses/glasses permanently affixed to your eyes. If you're taking your glasses off to read right now, then more than likely you're going to want to wear a set of reading glasses after your procedure (and initial recovery) to read. When someone with myopia, particularly stronger myopia such as yours removes glasses to read, that's a classic sign of presbyopia.

My prescription was a little worse than yours, and I recovered and do not need glasses to read. However, I anticipate sometime in my 40s that I will need reading glasses.
Dec 1, 2009
49 posts
4 upvotes
Experience so Far. Payed $4200
Age 29

Went in for consultation at TLC in Oakville had my surgery mid Oct was a candid for both Lasik and PRK.
Went with PRK because i had the time off.
Surgery was quick and painless. I had Dr Dean smith. Great guy crack some jokes and everything really lighten the mood.
I was in and out of the room in probably less then 10mins.
PRK took me about a week to heal up, faster than others but my prescription wasn't that bad to begin with.
First few days were pretty annoying no pain or anything just slept for most of the time.
Went to TLC for my 1 day checkup and my 3 day checkup to take out the contact lens/protection.
Saw my Optometrist for my 1week checkup and was given the green light to drive. 1 week in i believe i was at 17/20
No problems driving at night or halos or anything.
Saw My optometrist for my 1month checkup 2 weeks ago and I'm beyond 20/20 already said everything is good just a little dry.
More then happy with the results so far, would definitely recommend TLC everyone in that Oakville office was friendly and helpful.

LMK if you guys have any questions I'm more then happy to help people out. Lots of people here have helped me when I was deciding on getting it done.
Feb 7, 2008
431 posts
206 upvotes
St Catharines
Hello and thank you all for this valuable resource!

I'm just now reading through as much as possible (I came in mostly curious about the procedures and thinking of finally doing it myself now).

As far as I can tell the general consensus is transPRK (e.g., SmartSurfACE) and avoiding traditional Lasik/procedures involving a corneal flap. This makes sense to me as I have small children in the house which means a non-zero chance of getting my eyes clawed. I personally have some recovery time available with my work so that wouldn't be a barrier for transPRK.

Re. location - I live in St. Catharines. I don't see anything around this area in my search through the thread, but I have family in Waterloo and could easily spend a few days there (for the initial/follow-up appointments). I could commute to Oakville, but it would be trickier re. rides for the appointments, so my first question is does anyone have any current experiences with the Waterloo clinics (e.g., TLC Waterloo, as TLC Oakville has a lot of positive discussion on this thread)?

Secondly, I haven't been to the optometrist in a number of years, would a first step be to visit an optometrist for an updated prescription, or would that be part of the intake procedures for the laser surgery? If so does anyone have any recommendations for optometry in the Niagara region?

For reference, I'm 37 and my prescription is (was):

OD Sphere +0.25
cylinder -3.00
Axis +107

OS Sphere +0.25
cylinder -2.50
Axis +074

Thank you all for sharing your advice, experiences and resources, it is much appreciated!
~M
Mobile: Freedom Mobile Everywhere 60 w. US roaming
Internet: Carrytel 60/10 29$
TV: FTA Antenna + Netflix
Jan 12, 2008
950 posts
201 upvotes
Vancouver
Continuing from my progress report... Month 1

I would say it was definitely up and down since Day 9. Mornings in particular were pretty blurrier than the rest of the day, sharp mid day, then blurrier/dry at night. Sometimes i had nights where it felt like my left eye was literally hot when viewing my monitors and it was just eating up all the bion tears i could drop in there.

The Betoptic wins at the stinging award. I would now say Betoptic>Acuvail> Cipro for stinging "pains". But i found i saw the sharpest after i put the betoptic in, like hawkeye sharp. If its used to control eye pressure, does that mean the pressure in my eyes is preventing that kind of sharpness all the time?

Had my 1 month post op check up. Still 20/20 as before, but unfortunately, the optometrist avoided my questions about exact rx (is it normal to withhold this?). She said my eyes were very dry, kept emphasizing very. But I have been doing about 8 or more biontears drops/day, about 1.5-2 bion tear vials/day, when the suggested from PLEC is 4 drops per day. I wonder if its because i didn't do drops right before the appointment. Anyways, she wants me on once per waking hour, regardless of how it feels.