Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2020 9:29 am

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 342. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

15%
Pizza is yummy

32%
Jul 29, 2017
74 posts
22 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:

Not sure about Canada DND, but I know the US DoD has requirements of pre-treatment refraction which would be unfortunately violated even if treatment was successful for someone -11. The substantially elevated risk of retinal detachment in high myopia does not go away merely because of corneal refractive surgery.
I had my transPRK surgery this Monday at Laservue and everything went really well my prescription is down to around -3.5 and -4 from -11 and I am quite happy with the results so far.
As to your comment about pre-treatment refraction limit it is really concerning. I couldn't find anything for CAF except some memos for pilots and aircrews which sets a limit for pre-op prescription. If you can find anything else I would really appreciate it.
Dec 17, 2009
471 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
micronta wrote: I had PRK done with Dr David Lin in Vancouver, a clinics with really good reviews although this clinic charges more. I wanted to say that after my operation on July 2018, so around 1.5 years I still suffer from dry eyes. I never knew the sensation of dry eyes until after my PRK. It feels gritty and you can feel the skin of your eyelids closing over your eyes. I now still constantly buy the preservative eye drops from Costco for daily relief and Refresh Celluvisc. I now can't live without these eye drops and use them 4 x a day maybe or more. I also still go to bed nightly with Systane the vaseline like eye ointment which helps. I sometimes panic when I don't have the eye drops on me. So your eyes definitely may change. I don't have any pain which is good. I had 2 friends that had it done and they don't suffer from these dry symptoms. I do enjoy my freedom of life without glasses, but the cost is now I carry eye drops everywhere I go. If I would do it again, I'm not sure.
After I read your feedback , I feel hopeless. I had my PRK done in the same office in April 2019. I thought my dry eyes symptoms will disappear soon, but seem like it is a long term care issue. If I don’t use eye drop, my eyes will be really dry to a stage which I can not see things clear. My eyes feel burning pain after I cry. So I need to limit my choice of movies. And same as you, I need to use ointment every night.
My friend has dry eyes syndrome as well, but not as bad as I do,
Jan 6, 2020
5 posts
3 upvotes
I'm booked at LaserVue in Montreal for end-of-month March for TPRK (SmartSurfACE).

My reasons for choosing LaserVue over PLEC (no criticisms intended)
  • Location is closer to me for any (hopefully none) follow up visits and lower travel costs.
  • included lifetime retreatment at LaserVue
  • Lower cost than PLEC for remote patients.
  • More responsive pre-op service / communication / scheduling than PLEC. Especially LaserVue's Refractive Coordinator "Danielle".

The Con's of LaserVue in comparison to PLEC
  • LaserVue laser is 1/2 the speed of PLEC, w/o "predictive tracking (7th Dimension). but sampling rate is the same.
  • LaserVue probably does fewer surgeries.
  • LaserVue's surgeons' reputations are not quite as publicly burnished as PLECs. They didn't help design the laser, still have a strong relationship w/ Schwind.
  • LaserVue's pre/post protocols seem a bit less conservative than PLECs

I'm taking my fish oil now.
I'm excited about this after 30 years of RGPs, dust, mucus, falling off the pupil, starbursts, and halos.

I'll update here with any new information from my experience.
Ideally, my next update is "everything went as expected and I am able to see!".
Dec 12, 2018
31 posts
55 upvotes
3bdullahibra wrote: Just came back from my consultation from LasikMD. I have a very high prescription of -10.5 in my right eye and -9.00 with astigmatism in my left. They recommended two routes:
1) Advanced Custom Wavefront All-Laser LASIK ($4,830)
2) Phakic Intraocular Lens Surgery ($6,180)

They offered a lifetime vision enhancement plan as part of the package for either option. Was wondering if anyone has done PIOL before, and if so, how was your experience?

This was my first consultation and was planning on visiting TLC, Herzig and Bochner in the coming days. Does anyone know if Bochner offers 0% financing?

Thanks!
Update:
After visiting Bochner and TLC, all their recommendations seem to be aligned. Even though i have very thick corneas (652 right and 639 left), Bochner/TLC think it's best to do ICL since my prescription is very high (turns out it's -12 right and -11 left with -1.25 astigmatism). Cost is relatively the same at Bochner ($7,600 or $7,800 can't remember) and TLC at $7,900. I think i'll go with Bochner since i felt more comfortable with them and since they offer a life-time guarantee. TLC only offers it for one year for ICL, with any touch-ups costing $500 per eye afterwards.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2514 posts
546 upvotes
After doddling on this decision for about 9 years (I actually posted in this thread 9 years ago when I was booked at Clearview institute!) I went ahead with custom bladeless lasik at TLC 10 days ago.

My vision before the surgery was -4.5 in the left eye and -4.5 in the right with astigmatism at 175 and 180 respectively.

The surgery itself was what I could describe as uncomfortable but not painful. Immediately after the surgery, you pretty much get up and go home. On the way home was pretty brutal because I forgot to order my drops before the surgery. The first day your vision is all right, but I avoided watching t.v., using my phone or computer for 3 full days.

I'm now at 20/20 in both eyes, with a hint of astigmatism in my right that seems to be fading.

Over all, it's absolutely liberating to now have to worry about glasses!
Oct 4, 2018
29 posts
9 upvotes
burnt69 wrote: Not sure about Canada DND, but I know the US DoD has requirements of pre-treatment refraction which would be unfortunately violated even if treatment was successful for someone -11. The substantially elevated risk of retinal detachment in high myopia does not go away merely because of corneal refractive surgery.
Could you please explain what is the abbreviation "DND" and "DoD" means.
In view of the bold text, would a RLE be a better solution in that case?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2045 posts
416 upvotes
beamme wrote: Could you please explain what is the abbreviation "DND" and "DoD" means.
In view of the bold text, would a RLE be a better solution in that case?
department of national defense, department of defense
Jul 29, 2017
74 posts
22 upvotes
drunkgoat wrote: department of national defense, department of defense

So my presecription settled at -2.25 for each eyes and my medical already got approved as a V3 for Army reserve. Overall I can't recommend enough the Trans PRK method especially if you are joining the armed forces.
Mar 9, 2020
1 posts
Hi guys,

I went to get my consultation from Lasik MD. They quoted me a price of $4850 for both eyes. (I'm like -4.25 both eyes), and it's for Custom Lasik Wavefront.
The optometrist put me on a steroid eye drop to help with decreasing redness/ white blood cells in my eyes, possibly from prolonged soft contact lens wear.
Then, I will see them again in 2 weeks to re-evaluate my eyes. But they did approve me for Custom Lasik wavefront., due to my thinner than normal corneas.

I am a bit apprehensive, as they booked me with Dr. Keon Nia from LASIKMD and I've read some bad reviews about him.
Does anyone have feedback about Dr. Nia? Can I ask to change my surgeon?

Also, I have Sunlife coverage (about $450 every 2 years), and I believe lifetime correction requires a corneal exam every 2 years?

I also booked a consultation with TLC eye clinic, they seem more professional. Are they better than LASIKMD?

Thank you
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2514 posts
546 upvotes
I would go with the surgeon that has the most surgeries and overall best reviews. I am just now approaching my 1 month with TLC and was happy over all with the quality of service, especially since you get you use your own optometrist for post-op care.