Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2019 9:07 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 323. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

15%
Pizza is yummy

32%
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14093 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
funboi22 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2010 6:24 pm
people with large pupils should NOT do lasik. You are not a lasik candidate. any doctor telling you otherwise is out to make a dollar out of you and is not looking out for you.
While I am not denying the validity of your post, you're going to have to provide Wilmega/everyone some proof or a source that states patients with large pupils should avoid Lasik.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2081 posts
158 upvotes
Hey Thanks for the reply. It's something im definitely thinking about, but that site is a little outdated. Some Information on Pupil size dates from about 2004.

Does anyone else want to weigh in?
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
2865 posts
243 upvotes
GTA
Wilmega wrote:
Jan 8th, 2010 9:52 pm
Hey Thanks for the reply. It's something im definitely thinking about, but that site is a little outdated. Some Information on Pupil size dates from about 2004.

Does anyone else want to weigh in?
Who told you that your pupils were too big? Hopefully it was a clinic that actually performs LASIK and not anecdotal. If I were you, I'd go to at least three clinics to have your eyes checked. If all three say the same thing, you've got your answer.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2081 posts
158 upvotes
well yea.. i went to Lasik MD and Herzig and going to Bochner this week. But they didn't say it was "too big" ..just much larger than average. Which is why they recommend Custom Wavefront Lasik
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2227 posts
400 upvotes
Toronto West
I just had Laser Eye Surgery on Thursday.

Large Pupils @ 7.9mm and 8.1mm
was -2.25 in each eye and moderate astigmatism

3 days in and im completely fine besides night halos. No pain at all, nothing out of the ordinary. I was 20/20 the next morning and drove to the appointment.

Standard lasik typically corrects 6.5mm so you will need custom lasik (wavefront) as it will correct the whole pupil. You can get standard lasik but you are VERY likely have night halos permanently as opposed to only temporarily.

A few things that im sure ARE covered but I ill reinforce. If you arnt getting IntraLASE (Laser cutting your cornea) the microkeratome part of the procedure is pretty rough. Its the only bad part about the whole thing but you pretty much go blind temporarily. About an hour after the procedure it will be hard to keep your eyes open due to sensitivity so dont plan to do anything after. Everyone will tell you nap directly after the procedure. Do it. a 2 hour nap (mind you, you will need to wake up every hour) made all the difference. Buy one of those eye shade things to sleep in for the first few days otherwise you will have to use sunglasses which are a PITA.

All the best!
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
2865 posts
243 upvotes
GTA
Mendes wrote:
Jan 10th, 2010 8:59 pm
I just had Laser Eye Surgery on Thursday.

Large Pupils @ 7.9mm and 8.1mm
was -2.25 in each eye and moderate astigmatism

3 days in and im completely fine besides night halos. No pain at all, nothing out of the ordinary. I was 20/20 the next morning and drove to the appointment.

Standard lasik typically corrects 6.5mm so you will need custom lasik (wavefront) as it will correct the whole pupil. You can get standard lasik but you are VERY likely have night halos permanently as opposed to only temporarily.

A few things that im sure ARE covered but I ill reinforce. If you arnt getting IntraLASE (Laser cutting your cornea) the microkeratome part of the procedure is pretty rough. Its the only bad part about the whole thing but you pretty much go blind temporarily. About an hour after the procedure it will be hard to keep your eyes open due to sensitivity so dont plan to do anything after. Everyone will tell you nap directly after the procedure. Do it. a 2 hour nap (mind you, you will need to wake up every hour) made all the difference. Buy one of those eye shade things to sleep in for the first few days otherwise you will have to use sunglasses which are a PITA.

All the best!
Not necassarily. My doctor told me that you only had to stick to the eye drop regimen while awake. There is no need to wake yourself up to take drops.
Sep 8, 2004
200 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
funboi22 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2010 6:24 pm
people with large pupils should NOT do lasik. You are not a lasik candidate. any doctor telling you otherwise is out to make a dollar out of you and is not looking out for you.

I have large pupils (football eyes), and got surgery about 1 year and 8 months ago. No problems. Even went to the Canadian Air Force health centre for an exam (I told them I got laser, and they said you need to go test your eyes from our doctors to ensure enrollment in the pilot program) and came back ok. Mind you, I just went to to get tested, as there is NO WAY anyone without a connection in the air force can get in (too many recruites for so little space), so I got the free test of confidence and left! Can take that letter to Transport Canada and join an airline now!
Sep 8, 2004
200 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
The_Professor wrote:
Jan 11th, 2010 7:50 am
Not necassarily. My doctor told me that you only had to stick to the eye drop regimen while awake. There is no need to wake yourself up to take drops.
+1

When I went home, while in commute (I wasn't driving obviously!) I was doing shots in my eyes. Upon getting home, went to bed on a Friday night, and woke up the next morning to chill at Caribana, no problems, no shots!
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2008
2714 posts
479 upvotes
I went to Lasik MD a few days ago and they quoted me approximately $3,600 for the Wavefront procedure. My vision is 150 (or -150?) in the right eye and 175 in the left eye. They said my pupils are 8.0 and the standard size is approximately 6.5. I was pretty surprised at the price difference between the Wavefront procedure and standard Lasik. I was quoted $1390 for the standard Lasik.

So I'm wondering if any of you out there have gotten a standard lasik procedure done where the doctor's have advised you have a larger than average pupil size?? If so, what sort of complications do you suffer from? Anything permanent??

Also, the lady who I consulted in the final consultation where they explain the pricing said that I have a lot of thick corneal tissue so they will be able to expand the area of the standard lasik procedure by using more corneal tissue. Are there any complications doing this?

Lastly, a friend has recommended the Goldberg Centre where they do a procedure called "Lasek." According to their website it's safer then Lasik. Does anyone know anything about the "Lasek" procedure or Goldberg Centre?
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
3787 posts
67 upvotes
now that tlc vision centres have declared bankruptcy, do people think that their 'lifetime warranty' can be trusted?

i have a consulation coming up, and i'm thinking of cancelling and going with one of the other companies
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3230 posts
102 upvotes
afong56 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2010 6:25 pm
now that tlc vision centres have declared bankruptcy, do people think that their 'lifetime warranty' can be trusted?

i have a consulation coming up, and i'm thinking of cancelling and going with one of the other companies
why risk it? just go to herzig or bochner.
Oct 22, 2009
5 posts
I have a surgery date at Lasik MD in Mississauga on the 24th of February... I decided to wait for the surgery until Dr. Wallerstein is available..

My quotes were $2770 for Standard or $3980 for Wavefront...

I want to get the standard, but for $1200 more should I not get the best technology?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2008
6964 posts
63 upvotes
Ottawa
Do you really wanna go for 'discount surgery'?