Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2019 1:32 am

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 322. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

52%
No

15%
Pizza is yummy

32%
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
3174 posts
363 upvotes
CALGARY
pmittal wrote:
Nov 4th, 2010 2:31 pm
Hi there,

i went to TLC (north york) for a consult and to speak to surgeon, he said i should have PRK..but i really really don’t want to have it done

i want lasik --he said that was an option but that he would prefer PRK for optimal results..i have a low prescription 1.75

Alternatively at Lasik MD they didn’t even suggest PRK --they said I was fine with custom lasik would achieve great results. I am going in on sat. to talk to surgeon and make a final decision...i have to admit everyone doing the consult is really yonge and it didnt make me feel as comfortable at TLC but i am sure the surgons are great and ultimatly that is what matters most!

Also, I am going on vacation in 4 weeks..will this be enough time? has anyone experienced really bad complications? Many of the reviews have been great.

thanks in advance for your help!

I wouldn't go for such process for this low prescription. Use glasses till they get really heavy...it my opinion.
  • To overcome evil with good is good, to resist evil by evil is evil.
  • A sign of a person’s evil is his need to constantly argue.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2004
1300 posts
66 upvotes
pmittal wrote:
Nov 4th, 2010 2:31 pm
Hi there,

i went to TLC (north york) for a consult and to speak to surgeon, he said i should have PRK..but i really really don’t want to have it done

i want lasik --he said that was an option but that he would prefer PRK for optimal results..i have a low prescription 1.75

Alternatively at Lasik MD they didn’t even suggest PRK --they said I was fine with custom lasik would achieve great results. I am going in on sat. to talk to surgeon and make a final decision...i have to admit everyone doing the consult is really yonge and it didnt make me feel as comfortable at TLC but i am sure the surgons are great and ultimatly that is what matters most!

Also, I am going on vacation in 4 weeks..will this be enough time? has anyone experienced really bad complications? Many of the reviews have been great.

thanks in advance for your help!
4 weeks is a long enough recovery for most non-extreme activities. All of the information is on their website, as well as the post surgery activity schedule
Aug 3, 2009
628 posts
58 upvotes
ok so i am totally new at this and havent been to a doc.

i have been considering this for a while and contact lenses are just annoying me.

My number is -6 on both eyes... i would love to to get 20/20 vision.

I am going to ask a simple question...

if money wasn't a issue, who is the best?

also i am on a computer 12hrs a day, can that cause problems?

thank you for everyone
Nov 1, 2004
741 posts
Toronto
What is the best quality\cost ratio for Laser Eye surgery around Toronto? I'm currently wearing -4 contacts on each eye without astigmatism.

Note: I have $1500 in Flex health benefits, but I don't want to pay more then $500 out of my own pocket.
Nov 6, 2006
208 posts
104 upvotes
Coquitlam
I read this thread from beginning to end, great thread. I already typed this one and RFD logged me off and ate it when I tried to post, so this is my repost.... Hope it makes sense.

I am considering laser eye surgery, my prescription is around -6.5 and -7.5 with slight astigmatism. I went for a few consultations in Vancouver already and have been told I am a candidate for either type of surgery. One place said I have thicker corneas, I think they mentioned close to 600 microns.

I went to Clearly LASIK Metrotown first. I waited a long time between seeing the clinician, optometrist and the last person, but I actually liked the office and people quite a bit. The clinician did the most tests and the optometrist actually spent the most time looking at my eyes and asking me questions and talking to me. They had tiered pricing: Conventional LASIK (not custom) is $999 per eye, enhancements $499 per eye. Standard custom LASIK at $1499 per eye, 1 year of enhancements included. Premium Custom LASIK (with Intralase) or PRK with lifetime enhancements is $1899 per eye. Also, they offered to take $500 off the premium package if I wanted to use my own Optometrist (which I do, because their office is 5 minutes from where I live). They also mentioned they have 2 kinds of punctal plugs and recommended the cheaper ones at $100 per eye to help avoid dry eyes. I didn't think I would need them but the more I think about it and read about it, I think I would like to have them as I used to get really dry sore eyes when playing video games. They had free financing option as well.

Second place I went to was LASIK MD in Vancouver on West Georgia. This place is quite far from my house and is a large facility. They did some tests and I said I was leaning towards LASIK. They only offered me Custom LASIK for $2980 and no discounts to see my own optometrist for follow up checkups. They also offered discounts on yearly vists if I buy them in advance. I dont think enhancements beyond 1 year are included. They do offer 5 year financing at 8.9%.

The third place I went to was London Eye Center in New Westminster. They were suggesting PRK over LASIK but I think that was just because it was cheaper. They wanted $1500 per eye for PRK and $2000 for LASIK. They only do Intralase-type LASIK and claimed that is why it is more expensive than PRK. They also include lifetime enhancements. I don't think they have a discount for seeing my own Optometrist for follow up visits and I forgot to ask them about financing.

Lastly I have an appointment for consultation with Dr Lin at Pacific Eye Center this Monday. My Optometrist said her husband got his eyes done at Pacific Eye Center and that is the place they highly recommend. This place seems to be very highly recommended and my friend got her eyes done there because her optometrist said its the best too.

I am confused about the different technologies and lasers and what is best. I feel I want LASIK because of the shorter recovery time and I need to be able to use my computer for work. I cannot afford to not be able to read computers or screens for more than a few days at a time. However I also do not know what type of laser or if I should concern myself with that. Earlier in this thread there was a lof of discussion about Zypotic laser, but Clearly LASIK and London Place both use VISX systems. If I get LASIK, should I get Intralase or is the microkeratome the same result now? I don't know what kind of laser system they use at LASIK MD or Pacific Eye Center. I think I definitely want to use the Custom/Wavefront type system as I have a higher prescription and want to have the best possible outcome.

At this time I think I liked the experience at Clearly LASIK the best and they offer lifetime enhancements, but I wonder how good this offer is if they move or change names (I believe they have changed names once already). London Place has been around a very long time and I am also considering them for that reason. I will not decide until I see what Pacific Laser Eye Center says though.

EDIT: I have to pay the whole procedure out of my own (empty) pocket as my companies extended health doesn't cover any laser eye surgery. I don't want to cheap out though and want to have the best vision result possible, so I am hesitant to use price as a reason for picking 1 facility over another. I also need to apply for mortgage in the next 12 months so I don't want to get credit check if I can avoid it, which is why I am hesitant to get financing. I could pay for the whole procedure now but that would derail funds I have planned to spend on reducing other debt. So also I would look for any advice on negotiating a good price from the facility I decide on, if possible.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions on what to do, or where to look for more research? I plan to talk to my optometrist one more time to see what she suggests as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
1259 posts
29 upvotes
Alright people! So I had two consults this week.

Monday - LasikMD. Nice offices. New furniture, big screen tv's. The waiting room had a number of thick binders full of binders of satisfied customers; some leaving contact info if you wished to reach them. The surveys were all conducted the day of the follow-up appointment after surgery. Which, while good, doesn't capture if people were totally satisfied 6 months down the road. The whole process took about 2 hours. First 2 people I spoke with ran some eye tests and checked my vision including an eye pressure test which felt really weird. Essentially they take medal rod and press against your eyeball (your eyes are numbed though with the same drops they use in the surgery.) My perscription (L: -3.25, CYL -.75, Axis 2; R: -3.00, CYL -.75, Axis 12), pupil size (around 6.5), and cornea thickness (around 570) make me a good candidate for either PRK or Lasik (my preference). There is an 83% chance I will achieve 20/20 or better vision. I qualified for 0% financing with $0 down for 1 year (no penalty to pay early) which would be really nice. Price for Intralase lasik is $3380 includes all post-operative visits, eye care kit, and the lifetime vision plan (enhancements for life, post-operative exams for 5 years). Non-intralase lasik is $2778 which includes the 5 years of exams and 5 years of enhancements. LasikMD also offers 20/20 or it's free (but you may have to get an enhancement before they get your money back). Because my insurance company is Sunlife Financial, I get an approximate 10% off the cost of surgery. Perscriptions not included ($60 if you buy from LasikMD). Overall, I left with a very good impression and booked an appointment for January.

Friday - Gimbel Eye Centre. Waiting room very large and felt like a doctor's office. Appointment took approx 2.5 hours. Brought through testing. However this is where the service changed. There was a noticeable amount of concern and interaction with the woman doing my testing. I expressed concern over my vision never seeing 100% when wearing contacts and looking far away. When conducting the eye test for my perscription, the test was a lot longer and more detailed. The optometrist took a lot of time checking to make sure my left eye had the right perscription. She did one or two more tests LasikMD didn't have me do (such as dilated my pupils for a test, but to be fair a colleague had his dilated for a test at Lasik earlier this week.) I was shown the laser imaging of my eye and told the thickness of both corneas (561 at the thinnest on one eye, 571 on the other) and my pupil sizes (about 6.5 one eye, 6.97 in the other.) Gimbel also confirmed I was a candidate for either Lasik or PRK. They had me feeling really secure in the staff and the doctors. I was quoted $1800/eye for intralase Lasik, or $1575 per eye if I had all my follow-ups at my own optometrist save the day following surgery appintment (that would be included in the price at Gimbel.) I would have to call a seperate company to find out about financing, but as far as the counsellor was aware there was no $0 down, 0% like Lasik. Enhancements are included for 18 months after the initial surgery date. Here's the kicker - I was told Gimbel has a 94% rate of success (20/20 or better). Whereas LasikMD told me it was 83%.

Satisfied with both consults, however the extra concern over ensuring the accuracy of my perscription and the higher success rate makes me really consider springing the extra approx $600 for Gimbel. But it's a real struggle as a true RFDer at heart. Lasik is also 4 blocks away from my house; Gimbel is across the city. I also wonder if the transparency of Gimbel was because I asked and wonder had I asked LasikMD they would have provided me more detailed information regarding my exact pupil size and the mapping of my eyes.

d3van wrote:
Nov 20th, 2010 6:43 pm
EDIT: I have to pay the whole procedure out of my own (empty) pocket as my companies extended health doesn't cover any laser eye surgery. I don't want to cheap out though and want to have the best vision result possible, so I am hesitant to use price as a reason for picking 1 facility over another. I also need to apply for mortgage in the next 12 months so I don't want to get credit check if I can avoid it, which is why I am hesitant to get financing. I could pay for the whole procedure now but that would derail funds I have planned to spend on reducing other debt. So also I would look for any advice on negotiating a good price from the facility I decide on, if possible.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions on what to do, or where to look for more research? I plan to talk to my optometrist one more time to see what she suggests as well.

Buddy I'm in the same boat. My HSA covers $300 bucks. The rest is out of pocket. I think I'm going to spend the extra cash and go with Gimbel.
May 25, 2008
234 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Have any of you tried the Bates Method? It teaches you new "seeing" habits. I bought the book, improved my vision from -3.00 on both eyes to -0.50. I think I could've done even better, but I slacked off before the habits were ingrained.

If anyone is still hesitant about laser eye surgery, I highly, highly recommend the book entitled "Relearning to See". It's gotten rave reviews on Amazon.

There are also classes in Toronto. Having a teacher probably makes it easier to stick with.

If you don't believe eyesight can be improved without surgery... suspend your biases and read the book. It might surprise you.

Again, this is for those who are still very iffy about Laser.
Jan 4, 2007
242 posts
42 upvotes
maelyskelley wrote:
Nov 27th, 2010 9:06 pm
Have any of you tried the Bates Method? It teaches you new "seeing" habits. I bought the book, improved my vision from -3.00 on both eyes to -0.50. I think I could've done even better, but I slacked off before the habits were ingrained.

If anyone is still hesitant about laser eye surgery, I highly, highly recommend the book entitled "Relearning to See". It's gotten rave reviews on Amazon.

There are also classes in Toronto. Having a teacher probably makes it easier to stick with.

If you don't believe eyesight can be improved without surgery... suspend your biases and read the book. It might surprise you.

Again, this is for those who are still very iffy about Laser.

Wow...never heard of this before. Thank you for posting!!

I am going to look this up now...
Aug 19, 2002
231 posts
22 upvotes
Hi all,

I thought I would chime in here. I had laser eye surgery done in Vancouver at LasikMD for around $2000 about 3 years ago now. My original prescription was -1.0 and -1.5 with a slight astigmatism. I had to get PRK because my pupils we too large. The first 48-72 hours was very painful and frustrating as you litterally have to sit in a dark room and cannot look at TV or computer. They give you some drugs and drops which numb the eye, but the pain is still strong. Also just the sheer boredom is unbelievable ... I think I paced around my room over and over.

Over the next two weeks my vision was slightly burry and it would be a toss up as to which eye would work properly when I woke up in the morning. Around the two week mark I woke up one morning and everything was perfect. Over the course of the next couple weeks the clarity continued to improve.

Now 3 years later my eye sight is still very good. My left eye is a little less clear than my right and I can't remember exactly what it is at now, but its slightly off from 20/20. After years of wearing contacts its been a huge breath of fresh air not dealing with them anymore. One other side effect I've had since the PRK is some dryness in both eyes. I usually have to put a eye drop in each eye in the mornings when I wake up and sometimes a couple times in the day if I'm staring at a computer screen for hours at work.

Would I do it again? Absolutely it was some of the best money I've ever spent. I play a lot of sports and its improved my game as a result of not worrying about contacts falling out or bunching up.

I highly recommend it!
Aug 19, 2002
231 posts
22 upvotes
spookie149 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2010 7:11 pm

Buddy I'm in the same boat. My HSA covers $300 bucks. The rest is out of pocket. I think I'm going to spend the extra cash and go with Gimbel.

Keep in mind whatever isn't covered in your work medical plan you can put on your income taxes as a medical expense
May 25, 2008
234 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
konfusion666 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2010 1:03 am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bates_method

sounds like hocus-pocus to me

don't think it has a place in a thread about eye surgery. :/

Sounds like? Perhaps. But don't bash before you try it. I did and it worked for me.

It doesn't hurt to try a method that is cheap and natural before you commit to having your eyeballs sliced permanently, and spending thousands of dollars to boot.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2005
9175 posts
90 upvotes
GTA
having trouble to decide which of these places to go to.
having a consult with bochnar and yelc next week.
lasikmd downtown gave me a bad vibe, so maybe not there. their front desk ppl were just rude.
bochnar does it all for the toronto blue jays, and dr stein has good reviews on ratemymd

yelc is an alright place based on the opinions of the peeps here at rfd, they are very reputable, dr. rootman is also rated average

not sure what to do?

i'll only end up paying about $2k since gwl will cover 1/3 of the cost.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2652 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
I'm in the same boat. However, my cost difference will be $500 between intralase and microkeratome.
For the cheaper one, I've got Wallerstein and for the more expensive bladeless, some no-name MD.
mcbain27 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2010 4:31 pm
having trouble to decide which of these places to go to.
having a consult with bochnar and yelc next week.
lasikmd downtown gave me a bad vibe, so maybe not there. their front desk ppl were just rude.
bochnar does it all for the toronto blue jays, and dr stein has good reviews on ratemymd

yelc is an alright place based on the opinions of the peeps here at rfd, they are very reputable, dr. rootman is also rated average

not sure what to do?

i'll only end up paying about $2k since gwl will cover 1/3 of the cost.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
1112 posts
87 upvotes
pipolchap wrote:
Dec 8th, 2010 3:18 pm
I'm in the same boat. However, my cost difference will be $500 between intralase and microkeratome.
For the cheaper one, I've got Wallerstein and for the more expensive bladeless, some no-name MD.

Which one is doing the bladeless ?