Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2019 9:39 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 289. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

15%
Pizza is yummy

33%
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2606 posts
320 upvotes
Toronto
Psycho77 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2010 9:58 am
Which one is doing the bladeless ?

yelc, and not rootman.

I'm also just considering just PRK on both eyes. I'm ok with the pain, I like the idea that there'll be more cornea left for future enhancements.
Apr 19, 2004
448 posts
40 upvotes
Anyone have any experience with the clearview institute? It seems like they are running a promo where it's a $500 off per eye as long as you get it done before Jan 7, 2011. http://www.clearviewinstitute.com/artic ... -promo.pdf . I've already had a consult at LasikMD downtown, seemed alright but if these guys are significantly cheaper I'll definitely go with them. It's a pretty fast timeline but I have been thinking about it for years, and it is RFD so if I can get a deal, I'll jump on it!
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My HEAT
Nov 30, 2005
813 posts
157 upvotes
Leduc
had prk done at the gimbel eye center in edmonton on Oct. 12, 2008. my eyes were perfect candidates for either surgery.... long story short worst decision of my life. i can see better than 20/20 but the quality of my vision is horrible. i suffer from glare, halos, starburts, ghosting, horrible dry eyes and more. the surgery has destroyed my life. im going back to talk to the surgeon about a touch up to try and fix things in a few months but with my current dry eyes and pain im not sure if it's even worth it.

anyone here ever get a touch up surgery and end up with less dry eyes?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2005
2130 posts
154 upvotes
microwave wrote:
Dec 13th, 2010 6:29 am
had prk done at the gimbel eye center in edmonton on Oct. 12, 2008. my eyes were perfect candidates for either surgery.... long story short worst decision of my life. i can see better than 20/20 but the quality of my vision is horrible. i suffer from glare, halos, starburts, ghosting, horrible dry eyes and more. the surgery has destroyed my life. im going back to talk to the surgeon about a touch up to try and fix things in a few months but with my current dry eyes and pain im not sure if it's even worth it.

Wow, thanks for this. I was thinking (not seriously though) about laser eye surgery. Question though (sorry, haven't read through entire thread) but how can ghosting be a side effect? Did your optic nerves get affected somehow?
Nov 30, 2005
813 posts
157 upvotes
Leduc
ShopperfiendTO wrote:
Dec 13th, 2010 11:09 am
Wow, thanks for this. I was thinking (not seriously though) about laser eye surgery. Question though (sorry, haven't read through entire thread) but how can ghosting be a side effect? Did your optic nerves get affected somehow?

a lot of things can cause ghosting. in my case glasses and soft contacts cant fix it it's most likely caused from increased high order abrasions(HOA) or irregular astigmatism both caused by the laser. you will almost always have an increase of HOA after surgery, todays lasers arent accurate enough to deal with them. how much they affect your will depend on luck.
anyway these imperfections in the eye causes light to scatter instead of focusing correctly and so you get the ghosting. my ghosting isnt nearly as bad a some people it's actually quite faint and close to the real picture but it's just enough that everything is slightly off and makes fine lines look soft/blurry. then when you add in the other problems things just become a mess. again im better than 20/20 but my vision is horrible.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2005
2130 posts
154 upvotes
microwave wrote:
Dec 14th, 2010 7:43 am
a lot of things can cause ghosting. in my case glasses and soft contacts cant fix it it's most likely caused from increased high order abrasions(HOA) or irregular astigmatism both caused by the laser. you will almost always have an increase of HOA after surgery, todays lasers arent accurate enough to deal with them. how much they affect your will depend on luck.

Did you know about this (bolded part) before you went through with the surgery?!? If you did, you still went though with it???
Nov 30, 2005
813 posts
157 upvotes
Leduc
ShopperfiendTO wrote:
Dec 16th, 2010 9:56 am
Did you know about this (bolded part) before you went through with the surgery?!? If you did, you still went though with it???

no i didnt. they mentioned the possibility of halos, starbursts and other issues as they do for everyone but they never mentioned the short commings of the surgery that are inevitable such as decreased contrast and increased HOA, etc. im guessing clinics dont bring it up because it would turn away people. gimble actually went into detail with a lot of stuff and did lots of testing but they still didnt go into enough detail imo.

lasik MD was horrible though. they couldnt really answer some of the questions i asked and didnt test for dry eye or tear quantity. how they can get away with that blows me away. they could be destroying peoples lives just because their too lazy to do one simple test... but i guess they dont want to lose a profit.

my prescription before surgery wasn't crazy by any means, -3.25 in both eyes and a tiny bit of astigmatism. should have been very straight forwards and easy to do. sadly the tech isnt up to it yet.

laser eye surgery is heavily marketed to be awesome, incredibly simple and safe. that marketing is heavily skewed to make a profit and the more you read into it the more uneasy i feel about the whole thing. some of the surgeons that did FDA testing for this surgery are saying it should be pulled due to inaccurate testing, poor results and technology. it's too bad they didnt come forward two years ago. :(
Dec 21, 2007
11 posts
Ajax
I have my LASIK scheduled for next Friday at LASIKMD in Mississauga using Custom Wavefront and ALL LASIK Intralase as I've read there are many who believe the bladeless decreases the risk of complications.

The only thing is, I don't hear about many people's experience correcting farsightedness and I would love if someone could share their experiences with that. My prescription seems low to me going in and I don't normally wear glasses but do have trouble focusing at times due to an astigmatism in my right dominant eye.

Prescription : Right Eye +0.50-2.00X100
Left Eye +0.25-1.25X085

I know farsighted patients have a greater chance of regression, so a lot of factors are making me have 2nd thoughts.

Any thoughts or experiences would help. Thanks!!
Mar 9, 2008
739 posts
86 upvotes
Winnipeg
I got mine done at Lasik MD around 4-5 months ago and my eyes are still great. Better than 20/20.

Imo it doesn't matter where you go. Also, any place that offers the "20/20 or it's free" deal isn't exactly a deal or a bargain...you only got so much cornea to burn.

Also, I remember before I got my surgery...someone I know who used to work at Lasik MD tried talking me out of it. Apparently, one time when he was working there, a girl was in the lobby crying. Her eye apparently got infected from the eye-operating tools. Equipment wasn't clean. She was only like 22-23 years old. The result? permanently blind in one eye. Nothing she can do either, since they make you sign that non-disclosure agreement.

Also, he let me know of another story of how the ophthalmologist of the center recommended his friend to undergo the surgery. His friend came in in for the surgery, however, it didn't go as planned. Also cannot use one of his eyes again. The result? both the doctor and the friend are no longer "friends", thus don't associate with each other anymore.

I'm sure there is plenty of these stories at other centres as well though. You only hear all the good, rarely hear the bad.
Nov 30, 2005
813 posts
157 upvotes
Leduc
LukinX wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2010 12:13 pm
I have my LASIK scheduled for next Friday at LASIKMD in Mississauga using Custom Wavefront and ALL LASIK Intralase as I've read there are many who believe the bladeless decreases the risk of complications.

The only thing is, I don't hear about many people's experience correcting farsightedness and I would love if someone could share their experiences with that. My prescription seems low to me going in and I don't normally wear glasses but do have trouble focusing at times due to an astigmatism in my right dominant eye.

Prescription : Right Eye +0.50-2.00X100
Left Eye +0.25-1.25X085

I know farsighted patients have a greater chance of regression, so a lot of factors are making me have 2nd thoughts.

Any thoughts or experiences would help. Thanks!!

the smaller the prescription the harder it is to get decent results. astigmatism is harder to correct as well.
usually reputable places turn away people that have low prescriptions like yours but lasikMD loves money. im willing to bet you'll end up near sighted after surgery.

i would really get a second and third opinion in your case. your right eye might be doable but your left eye is at a high risk of coming out just as bad or worse.
Nov 3, 2007
599 posts
130 upvotes
EDM, AB
microwave wrote:
Dec 13th, 2010 6:29 am

That's scary. I've been bouncing the idea of getting LASIK for years (I'd NEVER do PRK even if they paid me or it was my only option. Luckily I have no astigmatism but a strong script at about -5.00 each eye!) and was considering Gimbel. From everything I've read/heard, Gimbel is likely the best center in Alberta. I get by fine with glasses but they are just such a huge hassle. I'd also get 1 eye done at a time, just in case there was a complication with either surgery, then I could easily live as a pirate!

Now I'm scared/turned off the idea again and will just dream about it for another 3 years. :(
Contests Won:
$500 NCIX Gift Certificate Contest! - Jan 2008
Free pair of M11+/M11P+ from Meelec.com - Sept 2010
Nov 30, 2005
813 posts
157 upvotes
Leduc
Cryton wrote:
Dec 26th, 2010 8:48 pm
That's scary. I've been bouncing the idea of getting LASIK for years (I'd NEVER do PRK even if they paid me or it was my only option. Luckily I have no astigmatism but a strong script at about -5.00 each eye!) and was considering Gimbel. From everything I've read/heard, Gimbel is likely the best center in Alberta. I get by fine with glasses but they are just such a huge hassle. I'd also get 1 eye done at a time, just in case there was a complication with either surgery, then I could easily live as a pirate!

Now I'm scared/turned off the idea again and will just dream about it for another 3 years. :(

why would you avoid PRK? sure the pain and slow recovery time sucks but not having a flap is a huge plus. it would suck to be in a car accident, get hit in the head or rub your eyes(they tell you not to rub your eyes ever after lasik) and have the flap come off. only thing you can do then is corneal replacement surgery.

i know glasses can be a pain but they are so much better than laser eye surgery. unless your eyes have some sort of defect glasses cant fix then you will always see better with glasses than you will after surgery. it's even mentioned in doctor notes gimbel takes(im guessing so you cant sue). a shame they never mentioned it to me before hand. :|
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1673 posts
83 upvotes
Ottawa
thinkin of doing it.. hope i get that 490/eye deal. although my eyes have gotten worse... i think i actually need glasses, which might work against that.

anyone have a 10% off referral?
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1283 posts
71 upvotes
microwave wrote:
Dec 27th, 2010 3:27 am
why would you avoid PRK? sure the pain and slow recovery time sucks but not having a flap is a huge plus. it would suck to be in a car accident, get hit in the head or rub your eyes(they tell you not to rub your eyes ever after lasik) and have the flap come off. only thing you can do then is corneal replacement surgery.

i know glasses can be a pain but they are so much better than laser eye surgery. unless your eyes have some sort of defect glasses cant fix then you will always see better with glasses than you will after surgery. it's even mentioned in doctor notes gimbel takes(im guessing so you cant sue). a shame they never mentioned it to me before hand. :|

I had PRK done do not experience problems with higher HOA. In fact my night vision is better now than with glasses.

Do you know which laser was used for your surgery?
Nov 3, 2007
599 posts
130 upvotes
EDM, AB
microwave wrote:
Dec 27th, 2010 3:27 am

After lots of research, many stories online did not shed PRK in a nice light. The recovery time is a big draw away from it for me. I just know that PRK wouldn't be right for me. I have a few friends and relatives that had LASIK done and they couldn't be happier so this makes it harder. I just don't want to be blind or have any sort of complications so that's why I'd get 1 eye done at a time, several months apart, just to be sure. If anything went wrong in the first surgery, I could cut my losses and still have 1 eye that's fine.

Yeah, glasses are a pain and I'm blind without them. Be nice to wake up and not search around for them (and get fingerprints all over them doing so) or say going to a 3D movie at the theater and being uncomfortable since the 3D glasses don't fit well over prescription glasses... Had the same problem with safety glasses at my old job too (couldn't wear contacts either since they are too dangerous, yet I couldn't find safety glasses that fit well over my glasses which was dangerous in itself...). I'd like to maybe try contacts again but when I last tried them many years ago, they didn't work out well and made my vision blurry and irritated my eyes to no end- I looked like I was constantly high (red eyes).
Contests Won:
$500 NCIX Gift Certificate Contest! - Jan 2008
Free pair of M11+/M11P+ from Meelec.com - Sept 2010