Beauty & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2016 8:31 am

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 122. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

48%
No

16%
Pizza is yummy

36%
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18138 posts
1047 upvotes
Smiley09 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2012 5:26 am
For those who've had it done a long time ago (a decade or more) how is your sight these days? Still good? Someone was saying they had their kid do it for the armed forces 15+ years ago and it was "guaranteed" (new eyes!!!) for 10 years, but her kid was still 20/20. I know the tech/exp/procedure can only get better since, but just wondering.

I didn't bother to search/read the whole thread cause it's 3am, I've wasted 2 hours on random internet tangents already, and waking up to a reply would be ever so nice.
My gf's friend had laser eye surgery done probably longer than 10yrs ago and unfortunately they recently had to start wearing glasses again as their vision got worse.. They are probably in their late 30s now, so had it done in their 20s...

I can also confirm that my friend (another person) also has stated that their eye sight is worse than it was more than 8yrs ago...apparently their vision isn't as "sharp" as it was before...but it isn't so bad that they need to wear glasses again.

Take the above with a grain of salt....I have no idea who each went with for their surgery or what method of laser......
Dec 20, 2005
361 posts
4 upvotes
I had a consultation at Lasik MD today. I qualify for the 490$ per eye surgery but I need to get a 5 year insurance at 250$ per eye so the total would be 1500$. However that is an older technology with some risks. The doctor said I should be fine though since I have a low prescription (-2.0 in both eyes), my cornea is thicker than average and my pupils are average. I do have the option of getting custom wavefront lasik but that brings up the cost to 3900$ (but I get a lifetime warranty in case my eyes get worse). I also have the option of getting Intralase SBK Lasik which is basically like custom wavefront Lasik but they use a laser instead of a blade to cut your eyes. That brings up the price to 4400$. What should I do?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
5604 posts
615 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote:
Jan 13th, 2012 1:21 pm
My gf's friend had laser eye surgery done probably longer than 10yrs ago and unfortunately they recently had to start wearing glasses again as their vision got worse.. They are probably in their late 30s now, so had it done in their 20s...

I can also confirm that my friend (another person) also has stated that their eye sight is worse than it was more than 8yrs ago...apparently their vision isn't as "sharp" as it was before...but it isn't so bad that they need to wear glasses again.

Take the above with a grain of salt....I have no idea who each went with for their surgery or what method of laser......

Yea I'm kinda in the same boat. Had Lasik 6 years ago but now I got to 20/25 in both eyes (one aproaching 20/30) :/. I had 20/15 and 20/20 after the procedure. Before procedure I was about 20/120 or something similiar.

Anyway, for anyone who thinks doing it, make yourself a favor and do PRK (or LASEK, etc). Don't use the flap approach.

I'm still thinking if I should do a re-treatment. This time would be a PRK as my flap is too old to be re-opened. I also have some dry eye problems after my LASIK so thats another reason why I'm a bit restrained in redoing a retreatment.
Jan 8, 2005
685 posts
I've read quite far back in the thread.

My situation: I'm almost 30 and my power is quite low (-1 and +1.75) and I have mixed astigmatism. Most of the time when outdoors, I can see without my glasses. I only require it for reading on the computer or for reading books.

The doctors: One LASIK doctor advised against doing it. Another surgeon agreed to do my operation and has done over 12,000 operations. He uses the VISX V4 IR Excimer Wavefront IntraLase technology.

My question:
1.Usually for patients with low prescription numbers, is there a high margin of error? I mean, are they still left with a residual amount of 0.50 or 0.25. If it means I will still need to wear glasses, its not worth it. But if my vision can be corrected to 20/20 or even 20/15, then it is totally worth it.
2. Does regression for smaller prescriptions usually happen in 2 years, or 5 years or 10 years? Can I find statistics on this?

Please weigh in. My surgery is scheduled soon so I am still debating whether to go for it.
Nov 30, 2005
628 posts
63 upvotes
Leduc
ruthless29 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2012 11:38 am
I've read quite far back in the thread.

My situation: I'm almost 30 and my power is quite low (-1 and +1.75) and I have mixed astigmatism. Most of the time when outdoors, I can see without my glasses. I only require it for reading on the computer or for reading books.

The doctors: One LASIK doctor advised against doing it. Another surgeon agreed to do my operation and has done over 12,000 operations. He uses the VISX V4 IR Excimer Wavefront IntraLase technology.

My question:
1.Usually for patients with low prescription numbers, is there a high margin of error? I mean, are they still left with a residual amount of 0.50 or 0.25. If it means I will still need to wear glasses, its not worth it. But if my vision can be corrected to 20/20 or even 20/15, then it is totally worth it.
2. Does regression for smaller prescriptions usually happen in 2 years, or 5 years or 10 years? Can I find statistics on this?

Please weigh in. My surgery is scheduled soon so I am still debating whether to go for it.

1. the lasers arent accurate enough to do small corrections like yours. this is why most decent surgeons would turn you down. you have a high chance of being left with a little prescription still left over or being over corrected.

2. most drastic regression happens the first year which is why most places will offer a touch up. your eyes will slowly regress as time goes on, how fast varies by person. for instance i had prk and had 20/10 with glasses going into the surgery. came out with almost 20/15 and now 3 years later im already slightly worse than 20/20 and have tons of other problems caused by the surgery. i had a -3.25 prescription going in.

i personally think the surgery should be avoided in general knowing what i know now and what i've been though. in your case you're risking a lot for a small chance of coming out with an improvement.
Jan 20, 2012
2 posts
TORONTO
Hi everyone, I'm really grateful for this thread, really useful and I've learned a lot. I figured I add my two words. I had consultations at Young and Eglinton and Herzig in the past two weeks. YELC was very good and professional, answered all the question and in general left very good impression. Can't say the same about Herzig. At the beginning of the consultation the guy at Herzig asked me if I had other consultations.I truthfully answered I did. From then on after every test he did he would ask me what the other place said. I felt like he wanted the confirmation every time. On my question my I should go with Lasik and not PRK besides the recovery time (I'm candidate for both) he had no answer besides that is what Dr. Herzig recommends to most people... At the end I was seen by the financial counselor. And once again she seemed very unprofessional didn't know much about the surgeons, the basic question like "whether they are affiliated with any universities". Now YELC was very knowledgeable on the other hand were able to answer all questions I had at the time. Now to be fair I didn't ask them the questions Lasik vs. PRK. I was also impressed that they had a surgeon to meet with you diring consultation even though mine was on Saturday. The time for consultations: YELC~ 2hr, Herzig under 1hr
I noticed on the forum on too many people talk about YELC I was wondering why that is. If someone considered the place but didn't end up going there would you mind sharing the reason? I also have TLC and Bochner consultations at the very beginning of February so will keep updated.
Jul 28, 2010
624 posts
33 upvotes
any deals going on for laser eye surgery? at lasik/YELC/anywhere? id like to get it done but for less than the $4000 that I was quoted, around $3500 would be ideal
Jan 22, 2012
11 posts
2 upvotes
I was nervous about the consult- it seems like the reviews on the Lasik MD-downtown aren't great but I had a generally good experience.

I got quoted just under 4000$ for Advanced Custom Wavefront PRK (+Lifetime adjustments).
My prescrip is fairly high 7/8

I was a candidate for both but after talking to many I told them I want PRK- it's the same price.

I'm going to try other clinics. It seems like the Most you can pay is 5400 and the least is via groupon.

This is not the cheapest I have been quoted- Coal Harbour and others in Vancouver are MUCH cheaper and I have family who has gone there and have been very happy.
Lasik MD does price match-
Will have to explore this.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2005
1399 posts
47 upvotes
melissafong wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2012 3:52 pm
I was nervous about the consult- it seems like the reviews on the Lasik MD-downtown aren't great but I had a generally good experience.

I got quoted just under 4000$ for Advanced Custom Wavefront PRK (+Lifetime adjustments).
My prescrip is fairly high 7/8

I was a candidate for both but after talking to many I told them I want PRK- it's the same price.

I'm going to try other clinics. It seems like the Most you can pay is 5400 and the least is via groupon.

This is not the cheapest I have been quoted- Coal Harbour and others in Vancouver are MUCH cheaper and I have family who has gone there and have been very happy.
Lasik MD does price match-
Will have to explore this.

If you're going to go with Lasik MD, wait about 3-weeks or so after your consultation. I received some special offer/discount from them... seems like they get desperate after a while.
Jan 22, 2012
11 posts
2 upvotes
CRXGSR wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 11:53 am
If you're going to go with Lasik MD, wait about 3-weeks or so after your consultation. I received some special offer/discount from them... seems like they get desperate after a while.

thanks, yeah- it's not that I don't trust Lasik MD, just that it's obviously not the best deal out there (it's comparable to the big names)- but I actually know people who have gone to the smaller ones with very positive experiences- so I know I can get a much better deal with dr's with which my family has had first hand experience.

:)
Apr 26, 2004
899 posts
28 upvotes
Thornhill
CRXGSR wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 11:53 am

Are they stopped to give referral discount? I had been referenced by friend and I visited them for a consultation and asked about referral discount and they say they can't give any discount. Even financing option is not available for me (I was asking about monovision).
Oct 20, 2005
8 posts
I had my vision corrected there about 10 years ago but the place was under a different name.
Does anyone remember ? A past patient maybe?
Apr 26, 2004
899 posts
28 upvotes
Thornhill
Clearview institute is offering blended vision, which is better option than monovision.
They claim to increase depth of field for both eyes (which is why it's better than monovision).
I wonder how close to the truth is that statement? I think in order to increase DOF they need to change focal length of our lens (eye) or to change aperture (make it smaller). I don't know how to do that without compromising some very important features of our eyes.
Jan 20, 2012
2 posts
TORONTO
Well my surgery is coming up on Friday, Feb17th, only one day to go, trying to stay away from youtube videos on complication of laser surgery...
Feb 21, 2012
11 posts
1 upvote
VANCOUVER
Since I read through this entire thread before booking a laser eye surgery consultation, it only seemed fair for me to share my experiences as well.

About me:
I just turned 26, and at my last eye exam gas a prescription of:
OD: -2.0 -0.5 121

After over five years of LOVING my contact lenses, I suddenly developed an intolerance. I was told I had `extreme`giant papillary conjunctivitis (GPC). While I can occasionally wear daily disposable lenses, I`ve been stuck mostly with my glasses, which I hate!

My first lasik consultation was yesterday at LasikMD in Vancouver.

I was told that I am a candidate for either the standard or custom lasik, as my corneas were thick enough and my pupils were normal. The quoted prices of each were (after a 10% discount through my insurance company):

Advanced Custom Wavefront Lasik with Keratome: $2,230
Standard Lasik with Keratome: $1,680

Plus I can add on an optional five years of follow up exams for $300.

Overall the examination seemed thorough and everyone was friendly and helpful. The lounge area was very comfortable, and I could see myself killing four hours of time there on the day of surgery (for whatever that is worth!). The consultation did have a fair amount of waiting around. I had filled out my intake form in advance (as they asked me to do), but they seemed surprised that I actually had it, and made me wait 20 mins to start the appointment - they should have just given me the form when I arrived.

I did get two pieces of bad news during the consultation:

1. My left eye is very dry (even though it doesn`t feel dry to me). If I`d gone in for the surgery yesterday, they wouldn`t have been able to do it. I was told to use eye drops, and that I would need to come in for a second appointment one week before surgery to see if the problem had cleared up enough to do surgery.

2. They were unable to correct my right eye to 20-20 using the lenses (only 20-25). After lasik, this is likely the best result I would get, though apparently it is as good as I am getting right now through contacts or glasses. I`m wondering if this could be a consequence of my GPC, as no one ever mentioned this to me during previous eye exams.

I would be able to go in for surgery on Good Friday (April 6), which would be very convenient for recovery purposes. Another bonus is that the office is literally across the street from where I live - convenient for the day of surgery and all the follow up visits.

My next consultation is tomorrow at Coal Harbour Eye Centre.
× < >