• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2016 10:54 am
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
11260 posts
1243 upvotes
Toronto

[Merged] Let's go BB10 make the comeback

late to the game, battered and bruised but hope they can make a comeback vs. being sold off
[removed for signature violation]
1720 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's a freaking iPhone 4, with the BB OS?
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
11260 posts
1243 upvotes
Toronto
mobifree wrote: It's a freaking iPhone 4, with the BB OS?

looks more like a mini playbook to me.. i don't think that's an actual model though ... it's just showing the os..

if anything the OS borrows from ios, android and win7

live tiles, widgets etc...
http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/1/299110 ... oper-tools

keynote
http://live.theverge.com/Event/Live_fro ... 012?Page=0
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm a life long Blackberry user and don't want to give up the physical keyboard.
I send and receive dozens of emails daily and am constantly on Google Talk and BBM.
I just wish they would improve the OS and HW specs on a Bold 9900 type device instead of trying to clone the iPhone.
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
11260 posts
1243 upvotes
Toronto
mobifree wrote: I'm a life long Blackberry user and don't want to give up the physical keyboard.
I send and receive dozens of emails daily and am constantly on Google Talk and BBM.
I just wish they would improve the OS and HW specs on a Bold 9900 type device instead of trying to clone the iPhone.

if you only need email, gtalk and bbm you don't need an OS or HW spec revision lol

i'm sure the new BB's will still have keyboards they just won't be in the spotlight
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
shaolinmonk wrote: if you only need email, gtalk and bbm you don't need an OS or HW spec revision lol
lol.. of course for these things.
But I would also like to do the things that Android and iPhone users are doing on their smartphones..
Jun 4, 2011
426 posts
604 upvotes
mobifree wrote: lol.. of course for these things.
But I would also like to do the things that Android and iPhone users are doing on their smartphones..

But you can't do android/iphone things unless you have the screen real estate, even the iphone's 3.5" screen is not big enough for people now. BB tried to have the best of both worlds with the torch and failed miserably, you really do have to pick one or the other (hardware kb or big screen).
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10945 posts
3252 upvotes
hakira wrote: But you can't do android/iphone things unless you have the screen real estate, even the iphone's 3.5" screen is not big enough for people now. BB tried to have the best of both worlds with the torch and failed miserably, you really do have to pick one or the other (hardware kb or big screen).
That's pretty much it. The last couple BB OSes tried to support devices with physical keyboards and buttons and full screen devices and failed. It seemed schizophrenic and did neither really well (should a menu come up with a key or a gesture or both? etc). We saw exactly the same schism with Android until they effectively made it a touch OS that you happen to be able to use (one of the few remaining) devices with a physical keyboard. To have a consistent UI you need to pick a direction. If they try to shoehorn full support for both traditional BBs and touch based BBs they are going to continue to have UX failings.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2652 posts
587 upvotes
Kitchener
I rock the Bold 9900 as well because the physical keyboard is second to none. Watching the demo of the Blackberry 10 virtual keyboard was simply amazing. I was absolutely blown away.
Tired of renting from Reliance? This might be useful reliance-home-comfort-2464779/2/#p34473179
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
Lol

Looks like rim ripped the apple os. Looks just like the apple interface.

And did anyone else realize how slow the guy was typing???? Keyboard fail!
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2652 posts
587 upvotes
Kitchener
^ how did they rip off apple? Because they used a swipe gesture? And the keyboard is a fail? Because the guy is typing slowly so the average person can see the predictive word suggestions in the keyboard? Yes that must be a fail. :facepalm:
Tired of renting from Reliance? This might be useful reliance-home-comfort-2464779/2/#p34473179
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3398 posts
422 upvotes
Mississauga
just watched the 10 min clip from crackberry of the live keynote.

i'm excited. ditched bb for iphone, but this excites me.

it was always the little improvements and the subtle-ness of changes that go a long way. swiping to delete or swiping to get to numbers/symbols, that time travel camera app, those are pretty solid innovations.

yeah its borrowed a bit from everything, ios, wp, playbook. TATs capabilities coming through finally though.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2652 posts
587 upvotes
Kitchener
mbk.2k3 wrote: just watched the 10 min clip from crackberry of the live keynote.

i'm excited. ditched bb for iphone, but this excites me.

it was always the little improvements and the subtle-ness of changes that go a long way. swiping to delete or swiping to get to numbers/symbols, that time travel camera app, those are pretty solid innovations.

yeah its borrowed a bit from everything, ios, wp, playbook. TATs capabilities coming through finally though.

I think you mean this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5KKQx04yD0
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2008
1775 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
meh... stick to the physical keyboard.... swiftkey x already exists for soft keyboards
© 2015
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
46969 posts
9263 upvotes
Hm, all I can say is that from a neutral perspective - RIM definitely does have a future for BB10 and their new phone. However, one thing I did notice in one of the videos on Mobile Syrup, the BB10 had that feature in Android where someone calls, you see their pic and can swipe to answer/reject the call.

This is my first and last comment for this thread :)
Blanka
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2652 posts
587 upvotes
Kitchener
I'm not sure how creative you can get with gestures. I assume 99% of the smartphones have a picture associated to a contact. Answering the call can only be done so many ways. I guess they could have chosen to shake the phone violently to answer any calls but that wouldn't be received well.

Would it be copying if a smartphone has a physical keyboard and uses a answer button? I'm pretty sure that's standard.....

Did apple steal the idea to put copy and paste on there iphone because if memory serves me right their original "smartphone " couldn't copy and paste. I would call it an oversight but I guess to others that's stealing ideas.....

I don't want to derail the thread. What they showed today looked promising and I hope that they can deliver on it.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
163 upvotes
Former RIM CEO Mocks Touch Screen Typing

[QUOTE]The iPhone? Undoubtedly a very nice product, but there is no virtual substitute for a real keyboard, reckons RIM CEO Mike Lazaridis: "Try typing a web key on a touch screen on an iPhone, that's a real challenge. You cannot see what you type."[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]"THERE’S a reason that R.I.M. is averse to the iPhone’s glass pad. ‘I couldn’t type on it and I still can’t type on it, and a lot of my friends can’t type on it,’ says Mike Lazaridis, R.I.M.’s co-chief executive and technological visionary. ‘It’s hard to type on a piece of glass.’"[/QUOTE]
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
11260 posts
1243 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote: Hm, all I can say is that from a neutral perspective - RIM definitely does have a future for BB10 and their new phone. However, one thing I did notice in one of the videos on Mobile Syrup, the BB10 had that feature in Android where someone calls, you see their pic and can swipe to answer/reject the call.

This is my first and last comment for this thread :)

You seriously need to use more phones picture photo id has been here for ages....it's always either swipe or press a button....how else are you suppose to answer a call? Do the happy dance and yell magic words?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)