Cell Phones

[Merged] Let's go BB10 make the comeback

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2016 10:54 am
Jun 15, 2011
37977 posts
5465 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Hm, all I can say is that from a neutral perspective - RIM definitely does have a future for BB10 and their new phone. However, one thing I did notice in one of the videos on Mobile Syrup, the BB10 had that feature in Android where someone calls, you see their pic and can swipe to answer/reject the call.

This is my first and last comment for this thread :)
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
1832 posts
92 upvotes
Kitchener
I'm not sure how creative you can get with gestures. I assume 99% of the smartphones have a picture associated to a contact. Answering the call can only be done so many ways. I guess they could have chosen to shake the phone violently to answer any calls but that wouldn't be received well.

Would it be copying if a smartphone has a physical keyboard and uses a answer button? I'm pretty sure that's standard.....

Did apple steal the idea to put copy and paste on there iphone because if memory serves me right their original "smartphone " couldn't copy and paste. I would call it an oversight but I guess to others that's stealing ideas.....

I don't want to derail the thread. What they showed today looked promising and I hope that they can deliver on it.
Sum_guy wrote:
Mar 13th, 2013 10:26 pm
but my nipples hurt for the rest of the weekend when we go.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
161 upvotes
Former RIM CEO Mocks Touch Screen Typing
The iPhone? Undoubtedly a very nice product, but there is no virtual substitute for a real keyboard, reckons RIM CEO Mike Lazaridis: "Try typing a web key on a touch screen on an iPhone, that's a real challenge. You cannot see what you type."
"THERE’S a reason that R.I.M. is averse to the iPhone’s glass pad. ‘I couldn’t type on it and I still can’t type on it, and a lot of my friends can’t type on it,’ says Mike Lazaridis, R.I.M.’s co-chief executive and technological visionary. ‘It’s hard to type on a piece of glass.’"
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 16, 2003
9976 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote:
May 1st, 2012 9:44 pm
Hm, all I can say is that from a neutral perspective - RIM definitely does have a future for BB10 and their new phone. However, one thing I did notice in one of the videos on Mobile Syrup, the BB10 had that feature in Android where someone calls, you see their pic and can swipe to answer/reject the call.

This is my first and last comment for this thread :)

You seriously need to use more phones picture photo id has been here for ages....it's always either swipe or press a button....how else are you suppose to answer a call? Do the happy dance and yell magic words?
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8634 posts
598 upvotes
GTA
That photo feature with ability to scroll back through frames is pretty cool.

It is kind of funny that RIM used to bash the "touch" interface but now is rolling out a phone without keyboard. I would think that they would still make a hard button version of a phone in the future for those diehard button people.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 16, 2003
9976 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto
YLSF wrote:
May 2nd, 2012 11:16 am
That photo feature with ability to scroll back through frames is pretty cool.

It is kind of funny that RIM used to bash the "touch" interface but now is rolling out a phone without keyboard. I would think that they would still make a hard button version of a phone in the future for those diehard button people.

yep, they are still making business devices, hardkey devices and consumer devices.... but the core focus of bb10 is touchscreen..

(it's funny that they still run commercials with people saying they couldn't imagine typing 1000 emails a day on a touchscreen)
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
3682 posts
98 upvotes
Not a BB user anymore myself but loved my last BB (Bold 9700) and I know a number of people are still all about them. Would love to see the company do well....
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1958 posts
193 upvotes
shaolinmonk wrote:
May 2nd, 2012 11:37 am
(it's funny that they still run commercials with people saying they couldn't imagine typing 1000 emails a day on a touchscreen)

+1. I came here to post the same thing. Way to already bash your new product.
Nov 7, 2011
773 posts
34 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
I guess I'm always going to be a BB fan. I don't like how it doesn't have a keypad :( So I'm prolly not going to switch over from my Galaxy Note. My Note is too distracting, it's like I'm taking my desktop with me everywhere I go. When I had my BB, I used it for what it was made for..emailing, calling, texting and BBM-ing lol
CUTE PICS <3
http://tinyurl.com/cppxpvx & http://tinyurl.com/c4jbapt
WTB: BNIB BB Bold 9900 | Holt Renfrew GC
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9368 posts
1937 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
chibsta08 wrote:
May 2nd, 2012 5:06 pm
I guess I'm always going to be a BB fan. I don't like how it doesn't have a keypad :( So I'm prolly not going to switch over from my Galaxy Note. My Note is too distracting, it's like I'm taking my desktop with me everywhere I go. When I had my BB, I used it for what it was made for..emailing, calling, texting and BBM-ing lol

That may be because it is the size of a desktop and not a phone ;)
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
1832 posts
92 upvotes
Kitchener
ceredon wrote:
May 2nd, 2012 4:56 pm
That may be because it is the size of a desktop and not a phone ;)

Lol

I played with the note and I didn't feel that it was too large. I was a bit disappointed though. I thought it would some how be more fluid. The salesman showing it also said it does slow down at times so maybe I caught it in a bad moment.
Sum_guy wrote:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9368 posts
1937 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
Double_J wrote:
May 2nd, 2012 5:37 pm
Lol

I played with the note and I didn't feel that it was too large. I was a bit disappointed though. I thought it would some how be more fluid. The salesman showing it also said it does slow down at times so maybe I caught it in a bad moment.

Android is always going to have fluidity problems because of its UI architecture and real time thread priority. They can compensate by throwing more processing at it but it's an inherent problem in the OS. WP7, BB10, iOS and preOS are all superior in that regard.

As far as the size of the Note, I would honestly be afraid of losing a nut every time I sat down with it in my pocket.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
1832 posts
92 upvotes
Kitchener
I never considered my nut but that is something to be concerned about!
Sum_guy wrote:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6160 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto
I'm a huge BB supporter like the rest, but after messing around with Android ICS 4.04 and seeing what Android can do, I was a bit underwhelmed even by this presentation @ BB10 Jam conference. That camera is cool, but not sure how often I would use it. I'm holding out for a BB10 device lilke the rumored Blade (BB10 Torch w/ keyboard)

Funny thing is a few buddies of mine are down in Orlando now @ the dev conference, + got to meet Thor and som other Rim Execs. He says they were told by RIM devs that BB10 is only scratching the surface of what it do and theres about 75% more that we have yet to see. I'm wonering of thats enough.

He says there were people there hecking some RIM execs and employees.

Even if BB10 devices have blazing fast processors (which I doubt they will) + are the more superior smartphones, it won't mean jack if they're market share is eroded to less than 5% of the market, or don't have content/apps/ support of developers. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and rooting for RIM, but holding out for a BB10 device w/ a keyboard.
Ne0's items:Finito
♠ G@mer & t3<h [onnoisseur ♠ Spitting t3<hy lingo since the 80's

Send PM's HERE♠ eBay|600+ ♠ | XB360 GT:Ask? ♠ PSN ID:ILLmatic_KINGPIN
× < >