• Mar 30th, 2014 9:45 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4323 posts
80 upvotes
GTA
quite the premium paid.. could have bought Tim Hortons AND most of Canadian Tire for that money
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
13016 posts
816 upvotes
Is it just me or does Walmart have the same stuff lower than SHoppers? I haven't shopped there in years.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2608 posts
870 upvotes
Takada wrote:
Jul 15th, 2013 10:04 am
. It's shocking how even many RFDers don't know how to take advantage of this. You must be very flexible and shop for the front page sale items only (+ bread, milk, etc) , you must pay attention to the threads on bonus Optimum points products (Personally I got 10s of thousands of points from that chocolate bar one), and you must only redeem these points on bonus redemption days.
Good point - front page deals and loss leaders that bring you into the stores. Shoppers can be expensive. Same can be said for Sobeys, Metro and Loblaws. But each of these has deals and clearance that the savvy shopper can taken advantage off.

I am looking forward to this sale. I foresee Walmart and Target bringing their A game to keep loyal shoppers, which means, deals and more deals.

Let the games begin! :)
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
6950 posts
11613 upvotes
Scarborough
I'm excited about this news. I previously worked for Loblaws for over a decade and my wife had worked for SDM. My only concern is what will happen to the Optimum Points program. Hopefully it says and in which case, I'm all for it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7063 posts
920 upvotes
I suspect this will be like C Tire with Marks and FGL, run separate with no significant change or change creeping in over time. Certainly no is is going to "lose their points" though I wouldn't be shocked if at some point they look at how the electronic section performs an decide its not worth it to sell game systems to rfders at 20x.

WHy do the same people have to troll very single thread about SDM with the"only idiots shop there" stuff when they've obviously been around rfd long enough to know about the hot deals that frequently come up?
Canadian Code of Advertising Standards http://tinyurl.com/48ercz5 Submit advertising complaints http://tinyurl.com/5uxezyk
Deceptive Marketing Practices Under the Competition Act http://tinyurl.com/4coy4qd

There is NO HST on "Free item" or the free part of a "Buy 1 get 1" manufacturer coupon http://tinyurl.com/4ys45jg
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5745 posts
539 upvotes
Loblaws has indicated that Shoppers will largely left as is. There will be some changes but they are unlikely to get rid of the optimum points program because that brings a lot of customers in to the store. Over time some if not all of the Shoppers house brand products are likely to be replaced with President's Choice and the like. In any event this deal does not close until the end of the year so changes are unlikely until next year. Early next year there could be some good sales on Shoppers brands which are being dropped and replaced with Loblaws brands.

In browsing around I see that all the analysts in the retail area are praising this move by Loblaws. They see this as a good fit which strengthens Loblaws in it's fight against other competitors like Wal Mart.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3155 upvotes
Calgary
I don't see this meaningfully changing anything at Shoppers. Maybe some of the billed-as-higher end brands of Loblaws will end up in Shoppers stores.
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2754 posts
253 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Again, Canadian consumers are screwed with fewer choices in an already sparse for choice retail landscape.
Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2012
8279 posts
630 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
theguru wrote:
Jul 15th, 2013 10:04 am
Dispensing fee is $11 at shoppers and $4 at costco or Wal-Mart. Always amazed at the fools who shop at SDM.
Mehhh.. my local pharmacist doesnt charge me any dispensing fee. Health plan or not. Just proves the retail pharmacists are rip-off's for the same damn drugs.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1960 upvotes
theguru wrote:
Jul 15th, 2013 10:16 am
My point is that it takes a boatload of effort to make SDM competitive by using Optimum points - shop certain days, redeem on certain days, etc.

Just go to Wal-mart, Costco, no frills and save time and money.

SDM is for people too lazy to save money
Supercooled wrote:
Jul 15th, 2013 11:31 am
Is it just me or does Walmart have the same stuff lower than SHoppers? I haven't shopped there in years.
No, the opposite. People who are lazy assume that Walmart, No Frills and Costco have lower prices. SDM milk and egg prices are always cheaper. If you buy health & beauty products at SDM when they are on sale, their sale prices (front page not flyer fillers) always beat Walmart's sale prices. Walmart has lulled people into thinking they have the best prices, they don't. If you are lazy, you just shop there. If you are smart, you keep an eye on flyers and stock up at SDM when they are on sale so you never end up buying at full price because you ran out. Yes, SDM has high regular prices on many items. But who buys things at regular price? When you add on the Optimum points, it just makes SDM an even better deal. Plus stores tend to be conveniently located and you don't have to battle the crowds at Walmart or Costco.

As for this takeover, I don't think it is good as it limits choice and competition. On the news they were saying that the Optimum program would likely merge with PC Points. Galen Weston was saying that PC products could be available in Shoppers stores. SDM already has their own Simply Food line which is very good so that would disappear. He also said Life Brand products could be in Loblaw stores. Again they have their own Exact products. So right there, choice is disappearing.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2012
8279 posts
630 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Higher premium priced Shoppers bought by a premium priced Loblaws... puleeez... does anyone expect prices to drop?? Of course not. Shoppers is already overpriced by 10-20% depending on the item versus walmart. Often I snap pics of overpriced products at shoppers and show them to my local pharmacist and she matches or beats them (tx included). I rarely go to main retailers for drugs or OTC products unless my pharmacist doesnt sell it.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2608 posts
870 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote:
Jul 15th, 2013 12:36 pm
No, the opposite. People who are lazy assume that Walmart, No Frills and Costco have lower prices. SDM milk and egg prices are always cheaper. If you buy health & beauty products at SDM when they are on sale, their sale prices (front page not flyer fillers) always beat Walmart's sale prices.
So true. Shoppers eggs and milk are cheaper - yes.
Shoppers gift sets with perfumes for men and women -- these can beat Walmart and The Bay. Bought sets at SDM for $19.xx when The Bay wanted $56.xx and Walmart offered one piece of the gift set for $19. Plus got Optimum points during the bonus cosmetics days.

You know how to play their game and win. :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2608 posts
870 upvotes
woof wrote:
Jul 15th, 2013 12:10 pm
Early next year there could be some good sales on Shoppers brands which are being dropped and replaced with Loblaws brands.
Exactly.
When Loblaws changed to Loblaws Great Food, they did some house cleaning and discounted inventory, resulting in some great deals.

I am looking forward to clearance deals coming up.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3155 upvotes
Calgary
aznnorth wrote:
Jul 15th, 2013 12:35 pm
Mehhh.. my local pharmacist doesnt charge me any dispensing fee. Health plan or not. Just proves the retail pharmacists are rip-off's for the same damn drugs.
I find this highly improbable. Care to tell us where you get your drugs? I don't see how pharmacies could even survive without dispensing fees.
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
× < >