Expired Hot Deals

[London Drugs] London Drugs: TELUS Optik TV - HD PVR & HD Boxes $99.99 & $89.99 (PM @BB/FS)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2013 8:52 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 6, 2006
551 posts
35 upvotes
Sharks316 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 12:36 am
says $69 at futureshop/bestbuy
sorry you were late. $50 was only for 2 days.
Dec 7, 2006
924 posts
68 upvotes
Burnaby
excel wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 11:57 pm
Since all the recording is done through the PVR, what other features does the PVR box have that the normal HD boxes can't do? Say the PVR is upstairs and I'm using the normal HD box downstairs, what features will I miss out on?
My understanding is that the HD box can access everything on the PVR (i.e. you can schedule recording, playback items from the PVR, ...etc)
:D
Oct 4, 2010
301 posts
75 upvotes
Surrey
$69 is still a good deal and still lower than the last sale price which i think was $79 or so. Think about it, you are getting a 500GB drive in there, so that alone must be $50.

Anyhow, i tried plugging my old HD box in another room with cable outlet and didn't work...Telus originally had to wire the TV to the coax (that's why i tried coax) .If I ran a lan cable directly from the Telus router to the old HD box, should that pick up the tv cable signal?

jon-calgary wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 3:12 am
Dec 18, 2007
7 posts
Vancouver, BC
eggshen wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 8:37 pm
Yep, received my box, connected. Called Telus and got my activation code without needing to spend $100 and a technician. Thanks and thanked to Good Deal BC (and rupi21).
I called telus and they refused to give me a code over the phone. They wanted to send a tech over. How did you manage to convince them to give you a code?
Sep 5, 2005
214 posts
8 upvotes
Victoria
jon-calgary wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 3:12 am
Still available for $48.87 at London Drugs...
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2002
3974 posts
685 upvotes
Vancouver
I have a setup where my internet is separate from my TV connection (my own router for internet and the telus dlink router for TV). So do I just plug the Ethernet to an open port on the dlink and the optik box and then call telus for activation code
Sep 9, 2008
625 posts
160 upvotes
Langley
BakedGoat wrote:
Dec 30th, 2012 5:33 am
I called telus and they refused to give me a code over the phone. They wanted to send a tech over. How did you manage to convince them to give you a code?

Call again. Some reps are stupid. Tell them your house is wired with Ethernet, The box is plugged in, and just waiting for the code. If they insist on sending a tech... ask why, since everythign is installed. Say your a network tech / Wired your house up, and do not want telus wiring additional wires. You may have to argue a bit depending on who answers, but if you keep at it, they'll give it. If they refuse, ask politely to speak to a supervisor to talk to them about it, the supervisor will give you the code (Just dont try to get the person in trouble!)
Sep 9, 2008
625 posts
160 upvotes
Langley
hesp wrote:
Dec 30th, 2012 10:13 am
I have a setup where my internet is separate from my TV connection (my own router for internet and the telus dlink router for TV). So do I just plug the Ethernet to an open port on the dlink and the optik box and then call telus for activation code

Depends on how you set it up. IS your Telus router acting as a router, or as a dumb switch? Just plug it into a port that'll feed it internet, and call in.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2002
3974 posts
685 upvotes
Vancouver
Ikarasu wrote:
Dec 30th, 2012 11:54 am
Depends on how you set it up. IS your Telus router acting as a router, or as a dumb switch? Just plug it into a port that'll feed it internet, and call in.
telus dlink router only is feeding the tv connection via ethernet. only one port on the router is used for it so i have 3 other ports so it would suffice to say that i just have to plug in one of those ports then to a HD receiver and then just activate it
Dec 18, 2007
7 posts
Vancouver, BC
Ikarasu wrote:
Dec 30th, 2012 11:52 am
Call again. Some reps are stupid. Tell them your house is wired with Ethernet, The box is plugged in, and just waiting for the code. If they insist on sending a tech... ask why, since everythign is installed. Say your a network tech / Wired your house up, and do not want telus wiring additional wires. You may have to argue a bit depending on who answers, but if you keep at it, they'll give it. If they refuse, ask politely to speak to a supervisor to talk to them about it, the supervisor will give you the code (Just dont try to get the person in trouble!)
I called again and they gave me a code right away but the pvr didn't work :P so I'm stuck waiting for this tech. Thanks anyway for encouraging me to call back!
Oct 4, 2010
301 posts
75 upvotes
Surrey
how about if you tried swapping the old box with the new one at the same location and then activating from there?
BakedGoat wrote:
Dec 30th, 2012 5:08 pm
I called again and they gave me a code right away but the pvr didn't work :P so I'm stuck waiting for this tech. Thanks anyway for encouraging me to call back!
Dec 18, 2007
7 posts
Vancouver, BC
matrixfwd wrote:
Dec 30th, 2012 6:48 pm
how about if you tried swapping the old box with the new one at the same location and then activating from there?
Yeah I actually replaced my old hd non-pvr with the new pvr and the code the rep gave me activated the box and it was working and all but it wouldn't record nor pause/replay anything I was currently watching. It's frustrating because I Was on hold for most of the call and I'll never get that 2 hours of my life back haha.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2002
3974 posts
685 upvotes
Vancouver
anyone wanting additional boxes for their house; its free installation if you buy from FS, BB or LD so for 70 bucks to get a receiver and installation (wiring,etc) that is a mighty good deal

FYI:tomorrow is the last day for the sale
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
I wish Telus would bring more services to Ontario, outside Cityplace....
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)