Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Netflix] Netflix.ca is finally here :)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2014 3:03 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76607 posts
1560 upvotes
Didnt watch it all weekend, but the kids did. They didnt say anything, but then again maybe if it wasnt working they just didnt bother telling me

I did watch some Mythbusters on there yesterday with them, so it must of been fine.
Jun 4, 2009
103 posts
50 upvotes
Laval
I couldn't log in yesterday around 10pm either. I think people that already signed on before in the day could still watch what they wanted but the system didn't accept anymore connection... It happened twice to me in my trial that I couldn't use netflix when I wanted. But still I love it too much to not renew.
Jan 23, 2009
148 posts
30 upvotes
G77 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2011 9:11 pm
Justified has been there for a long time, maybe even from the start...
huh well there you go then ha.
Sep 21, 2008
145 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
Has anyone tried to watch an episode of Robotech on netflix.ca? I've tried numerous times over the last couple of months on a whim, but all I get is the synopsis page. When I click to watch an episode, it just loads and loads...?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2926 posts
471 upvotes
Aurora, ON
djsasso wrote:
Apr 4th, 2011 11:32 am
This actually stopped being the case in the last week. The WDTV Live Plus now supports Netflix in Canada.

That's great news - thanks! Now to wait for Teksavvy..I can't run netflix under my rogers 60gig limit - as it is I am barely under the 60gig now.
C'mon Teksavvy!!
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2009
16955 posts
1544 upvotes
scarberia
whos pumped to watch 3d movies on the nintendo 3DS soon :lol:
Jun 27, 2008
106 posts
23 upvotes
merciscool wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2011 8:02 pm
Interesting, so it's not technically supported? I know the US netflix is, but if Sinwack0 got the canadian netflix working this makes me wonder... I don't really want to invest in the boxee since it's double the price, but I'm not sure what my best options are now!

also, Sinwack0, around when did it start to suddenly work? maybe there's something more I can look into if I had an approximate date.
It was discussed heavily on the WD forums and I stumbled on a guy that had it working last saturday. I tried and It worked as well for me. All good! then again I'm not sure about the video quality, although video quality is adjustable (good, better, best) I did not find it to be what I would have expected (artifacts on the best quality and not all movies playing 5.1 audio quality)
Nov 26, 2003
767 posts
96 upvotes
Trois-Rivieres
Well, it seems it's getting harder to get Netflix US. First, Entropay canceled my account and while I wanted to put my membership on hold the time I find an Amerifriend to pay for my account, I got the following message after I put my membership on hold (while I was logged on the Witopia VPN :

___
Watching Instantly Is Not Available Outside the US

we noticed that the computer you are using is not located within the 50 United States or District of Columbia. Due to studio licensing reasons, movies are available to watch instantly only on computers in those locations.

You still have limited access to your account and can manage your DVD Queue.
___

I have the basic Witopia package. I didn't even had time to setup Witopia on my new Asus router to be able to watch on my PS3 or 360.

I'm thinking about giving up on Netflix US. Am I alone in that situation or there's somebody successful? More that the catalog, what I like the most about Netflix US is the instant watch queue. I can't understand why it isn't available in Canada.

I encourage you to write them on their Twitter account about this : http://twitter.com/#!/Netflix_CA

Wild Thing
Dec 9, 2005
128 posts
17 upvotes
WildThing wrote:
Apr 4th, 2011 9:01 pm
Well, it seems it's getting harder to get Netflix US. First, Entropay canceled my account and while I wanted to put my membership on hold the time I find an Amerifriend to pay for my account, I got the following message after I put my membership on hold (while I was logged on the Witopia VPN :

___

we noticed that the computer you are using is not located within the 50 United States or District of Columbia. Due to studio licensing reasons, movies are available to watch instantly only on computers in those locations.

___

I have the basic Witopia package. I didn't even had time to setup Witopia on my new Asus router to be able to watch on my PS3 or 360.

I'm thinking about giving up on Netflix US. Am I alone in that situation or there's somebody successful?

Wild Thing

Why did Entropay cancel your account? I'm with Entropay and haven't had any problems so far. If you are having problems with Witopia you should try usvideo.ca.
Jan 15, 2007
210 posts
100 upvotes
WildThing wrote:
Apr 4th, 2011 9:01 pm

___

___

I'm thinking about giving up on Netflix US. Am I alone in that situation or there's somebody successful?

Wild Thing

That sucks, but it's the reality of media. If Netflix is proven to be broadcasting the movies and TV shows outside the US, they'd be sued out of existence by the license holders. Broadcasters and production companies are bloodthirsty (perhaps rightfully so, considering how much money media costs to make and how little it generally returns).

Honestly, the best thing you can do is switch to Netflix Canada. More subscribers means more money for them to purchase Canadian broadcast rights. Hopefully that keeps snowballing until Netflix in Canada is as good as its US counterpart (perhaps even better -- getting stuff like BBC rights are considerably easier in Canada). Plus, you won't be putting Netflix in hot water with their US licensing. That said, in the meantime Netflix Canada isn't as good a value for the money you put in. I'd still argue it's a great value, but that's entirely subjective.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2007
2282 posts
819 upvotes
^^^ Exactly.

So many people like to complain about what Netflix Canada doesn't have, but if you look at what they do have, then you appreciate the value more.