Expired Hot Deals

[VirginMobile.ca] Nexus 4 BACK IN STOCK for US/Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2013 1:55 pm
Jul 10, 2007
118 posts
15 upvotes
i suspect it maybe UPS that's picking up the bill if the "investigation" shows it's their fault. and besides...getting a contract this big for ups can't be a small deal. even if it's not their fault, they may want to keep google's business and take the hit. i know i would if i were in their position. seems like google isn't really doing much in the customer service department for the ppl that had their devices stolen.
Dec 31, 2010
756 posts
120 upvotes
wilsonlam97 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 9:06 pm
But isn't Google taking the hit for losing money by refunding the guy?
As much as I hate Apple, their customer service is unbeatable. At the end of the day, the end-user doesn't give a $#@! who takes the hit, they just want the device, and they want is ASAP. Apple's customer service CLEARLY has the the consumer's interests in mind first. The fact that it was stolen was the first negative experience, and being told to reorder is another by having wait in line AGAIN...
The only reason Google is getting away with this is because the demand is high

I would assume that unless the fault of either party can be proven 100%, they would split, 50/50... Its only fair
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14299 posts
1970 upvotes
Toronto
ZeroToHero wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 9:31 pm
As much as I hate Apple, their customer service is unbeatable. At the end of the day, the end-user doesn't give a $#@! who takes the hit, they just want the device, and they want is ASAP. Apple's customer service CLEARLY has the the consumer's interests in mind first. The fact that it was stolen was the first negative experience, and being told to reorder is another by having wait in line AGAIN...

I would assume that unless the fault of either party can be proven 100%, they would split, 50/50... Its only fair
+1
Deal Addict
May 20, 2007
1434 posts
142 upvotes
ZeroToHero wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 9:31 pm

+1

I remember my iPhone 4 had a faulty home button after using it for several months. I took it into the Apple Store, told the rep about my issues, he replicated it, and told me to wait a second. He went into the back and came out with a brand new sealed phone. Opened it up, swapped my sim card, and told me that everything was set.

I was in and out in under 5 minutes with a brand new phone.

It was hands down, the BEST after sales customer service I've received.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
6974 posts
654 upvotes
EGee6 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 9:49 pm
+1

I remember my iPhone 4 had a faulty home button after using it for several months. I took it into the Apple Store, told the rep about my issues, he replicated it, and told me to wait a second. He went into the back and came out with a brand new sealed phone. Opened it up, swapped my sim card, and told me that everything was set.

Given their gross margin, of course they can afford this level of customer service :-)
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
3231 posts
693 upvotes
EGee6 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 9:49 pm
+1

Exactly the same thing happened to my iphone 4, except my home button didn't work like once or twice a day. He didn't replicate the problem (which wasn't really a problem). He just gave me a new iphone.
Dec 31, 2010
756 posts
120 upvotes
chimp wrote:
Feb 11th, 2013 12:05 am
Given their gross margin, of course they can afford this level of customer service :-)
That's a wrong way to look at it.
So, because they aren't making much/per phone its OK to treat people like crap?

Google must've done their math before releasing Nexus 4, even if immediately they aren't making much, they will make it up in ad revenue, or by people using their services.
And even "margins and profits" aside there is NO EXCUSE for poor customer service, especially for a giant like Google.
Nov 16, 2009
250 posts
30 upvotes
ZeroToHero wrote:
Feb 11th, 2013 12:26 am

Google must've done their math before releasing Nexus 4, even if immediately they aren't making much, they will make it up in ad revenue, or by people using their services.
And even "margins and profits" aside there is NO EXCUSE for poor customer service, especially for a giant like Google.
That's one way of looking at it, not necessarily the wrong way. Think about Southwest Airlines (no-frills) vs Cathay Pacific (premium), more expensive tickets = better services. I'm willing to spend more for Apple's and Logitech's products partly because of their good customer services.

If you think making you wait for another 2-3 weeks qualifies as "treating people like crap", then you are obviously not a customer of Rogers, TTC or Air Canada.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1439 posts
270 upvotes
TORONTO
How is the battery life for your nexus 4?

I tweaked my nexus 4 and it gave me about 1 days worth with medium usage

Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2008
3033 posts
477 upvotes
zakregent wrote:
Feb 11th, 2013 1:24 am
How is the battery life for your nexus 4?

I tweaked my nexus 4 and it gave me about 1 days worth with medium usage

I got 2 days with 4 hours 15 minutes screen on time. Mostly on wifi. Push off, gps off, nfc off. Black background, auto brightness.
Thinking about upgrading to the iPad air 2 from the air 1? You MIGHT want to reconsider. http://youtu.be/qjhC4S3vcD4
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
6974 posts
654 upvotes
ZeroToHero wrote:
Feb 11th, 2013 12:26 am

That is my way to look at it.

I would rather pay half of the price of the iphone and take my chance and not having these conceirge service on a cell phone and spend my saved money on something else.

EDIT:
I do see some 'real' customer services in some very small business where I know they are not making a boat load of money yet they really treat their customers nicely, buy not the calculated business decision type.
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24043 posts
4127 upvotes
Toronto
nambit wrote:
Feb 11th, 2013 4:39 am
Just curious, what is the advantage of rooting? Also, do we really need screen protectors for this thing?

edit: Regarding rooting, I guess this explains it a bit. Still, is it really necessary with the Nexus 4?
http://www.knowyourmobile.com/features/ ... evice.html
Leaving your device rooted is generally got a good idea because it leaves your device open to viruses (yes, there are cell phone hackers a plenty now).
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2006
4666 posts
461 upvotes
nambit wrote:
Feb 11th, 2013 4:39 am
Just curious, what is the advantage of rooting? Also, do we really need screen protectors for this thing?

edit: Regarding rooting, I guess this explains it a bit. Still, is it really necessary with the Nexus 4?
http://www.knowyourmobile.com/features/ ... evice.html
Yes, you should put on at least a cheap static cling screen protector.

If you want to have access the root files on the device - Yes.
If you want install custom ROMs and kernels - Yes
If you want a run a 3rd party recovery program for backup/restore purposes - Yes
If you want to run app/settings backup software - Yes

If you want to use the phone the way Google sent it to you - No
× < >