[Merged] NEXUS pass?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 2:51 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17118 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
i6s1 wrote: 364 days before expiry... so unless you have a time machine, it's best to renew now.
elpaso wrote: January 2020 ? You can right away and you should. Don't wait until it expires !
what's the best way to renew? paper form so can pay in CAD to save money? or pay more in USD on website to save time?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
3221 posts
2761 upvotes
Montreal
actng wrote: what's the best way to renew? paper form so can pay in CAD to save money? or pay more in USD on website to save time?
I would do it online in USD and be done with it.

Paying CAD you'll save what 5$ ?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2809 posts
3664 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: I agree that the Canadian side does not receive updates made on the Nexus website. They even told me this explicitly in the interview.
Is it possible that these DPs are Americans who updated their passports on the website? That would make sense. The phamplet could conceivably be directed to both Canadians and Americans, since American passport updates obviously don't automatically flow to Canada.
Otherwise the CBSA's own website is erroneous, which is conceivable.
Quote from CBSA website:

"NEXUS
Updates to personal information

NEXUS members can access the Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) System to update a mailing address change and passport information that is already on file.

Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA."

I've got a new passport (over a year ago) and did not go to a centre to update the info - certainly hasn't caused any border crossing issues for NEXUS by land or air (many crossings).
Jul 24, 2013
136 posts
12 upvotes
I had my Nexus interview on Feb 28th, the interview went well and I was verbally told approved and will receive my card in 7-10 days. I just logged into my account , the status still remains 'Conditionally Approved' and I have no idea why...
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
JollyZ508 wrote: I had my Nexus interview on Feb 28th, the interview went well and I was verbally told approved and will receive my card in 7-10 days. I just logged into my account , the status still remains 'Conditionally Approved' and I have no idea why...
You should contact them. Mine showed 'Approved' on the same day as the interview. And my interview was in the evening.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
700 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Is there anyone to contact regarding the status of a renewal? I submitted two months ago and curious of the status, other than "pending".
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2331 posts
826 upvotes
While a Nexus application is pending review, one can still cross the border with passport, right?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1015 posts
1056 upvotes
kulb wrote: While a Nexus application is pending review, one can still cross the border with passport, right?
Yes
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
elpaso wrote: I would do it online in USD and be done with it.

Paying online is $50 USD, mailing it in is $50 CAD plus an 85 cent stamp. You still save like $15 or so, still money... I did it a few years ago in the mail and it wasn't that bad.
Sep 6, 2009
343 posts
120 upvotes
Regina
Latitude57 wrote: Yes
Indeed. Remember, you might have to cross the border while your application is under review, if the interview centre you are attending is in the other country.

Your passport works normally when you have NEXUS, or have an application in progress. Things only change once you have the actual NEXUS card, and only if you actually use it.
CAN banking: BMO; Cards: AmEx Gold, BMO AIR MILES World Elite MasterCard; Chase amazon.ca card (closed 2018/03; Chase left Canada)
US banking: Rocky Mountain Bank (MT); Cards: AmEx Premier Rewards Gold, AmEx Blue Cash Everyday, CapOne Platinum MasterCard
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23197 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
elpaso wrote: I would do it online in USD and be done with it.

I totally agree with you there, plus mail can get lost. I definitely would go with the website to save time and make sure it gets done.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23197 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
I've been wanting to say this for a while now, but haven't. I'm starting to question the value of a Nexus card. It's not because I'm not flying a lot. For the past year, I've flown at least once a month. I noticed that the Nexus line at YVR and YYZ can be quite long during the prime flying period of the day. I was at YVR at about 7:30 AM this week for a flight to the US. As expected, there was a long lineup for Nexus card holders. I just took out my phone and browsed the web while I waited. I overheard people in my line talking about how the non-Nexus lines were moving faster. I looked and I would agree. It took about 15-20 min. to be screened before I got to US CBP. It's not the first time that I noticed this at YVR or YYZ. I'm not sure why, but perhaps more people are applying for Nexus? If so, why are they not creating additional lines or find other ways to to speed up the security screening? The whole point of getting a Nexus card is to help go through security asap right?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7372 posts
9177 upvotes
Montreal
Sgt_Strider wrote: I've been wanting to say this for a while now, but haven't. I'm starting to question the value of a Nexus card. It's not because I'm not flying a lot. For the past year, I've flown at least once a month. I noticed that the Nexus line at YVR and YYZ can be quite long during the prime flying period of the day. I was at YVR at about 7:30 AM this week for a flight to the US. As expected, there was a long lineup for Nexus card holders. I just took out my phone and browsed the web while I waited. I overheard people in my line talking about how the non-Nexus lines were moving faster. I looked and I would agree. It took about 15-20 min. to be screened before I got to US CBP. It's not the first time that I noticed this at YVR or YYZ. I'm not sure why, but perhaps more people are applying for Nexus? If so, why are they not creating additional lines or find other ways to to speed up the security screening? The whole point of getting a Nexus card is to help go through security asap right?
Yeah, I've also noticed that more and more folks are in the Nexus line at airports. Though I would say that going through the Nexus security line at Canadian airports is only one of many benefits of having a Nexus card. So even if you may not get through airport security as quickly as you once did (when less folks had the card), you also get the shorter line at U.S. CBP, Global Entry, TSA precheck, Nexus lane for land border crossing, etc. And I notice bigger differences in wait times for those (vs. Canadian airport security lines). Still extremely valuable, IMO.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23197 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
efrant wrote: Yeah, I've also noticed that more and more folks are in the Nexus line at airports. Though I would say that going through the Nexus security line at Canadian airports is only one of many benefits of having a Nexus card. So even if you may not get through airport security as quickly as you once did (when less folks had the card), you also get the shorter line at U.S. CBP, Global Entry, TSA precheck, Nexus lane for land border crossing, etc. And I notice bigger differences in wait times for those (vs. Canadian airport security lines). Still extremely valuable, IMO.
I think the biggest benefit is coming back to Canada. The line is definitely shorter and I can get to the baggage carousel without much hassle from CBSA. I just wish that they would do something to speed things up at YVR and YYZ. These are probably two of the most important airports in Canada. I want to clear security leaving Canada as fast as coming back to Canada. Given the kind of money they're making from people like you and me, they should use it to create additional infrastructure to speed up the screening.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7372 posts
9177 upvotes
Montreal
Sgt_Strider wrote: I think the biggest benefit is coming back to Canada. The line is definitely shorter and I can get to the baggage carousel without much hassle from CBSA. I just wish that they would do something to speed things up at YVR and YYZ. These are probably two of the most important airports in Canada. I want to clear security leaving Canada as fast as coming back to Canada. Given the kind of money they're making from people like you and me, they should use it to create additional infrastructure to speed up the screening.
I agree. But I don't know if they're making money. I doubt $50/person every five years covers all their costs, let alone adding infrastructure. I'm not sure how many Nexus members there are now, but five years ago there were about a million.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2006
5351 posts
2459 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote: I think the biggest benefit is coming back to Canada. The line is definitely shorter and I can get to the baggage carousel without much hassle from CBSA. I just wish that they would do something to speed things up at YVR and YYZ.
It's frustrating to have used Nexus to clear immigration in less than a minute, only to end up waiting at the baggage claim for 20-40 minutes before your luggage comes out. When I returned a few weeks ago I noticed that YYZ has a new problem. Just exiting the baggage claim area now takes 15-20 minutes because there's only one exit and which has only two lines.

Now that I've used my Nexus for several trips, I'm not sure it's worth it if you have checked luggage because the long waits in baggage claim cancels out the time savings of quickly going through immigration.
Sep 6, 2009
343 posts
120 upvotes
Regina
Hairball wrote: Paying online is $50 USD, mailing it in is $50 CAD plus an 85 cent stamp. You still save like $15 or so, still money... I did it a few years ago in the mail and it wasn't that bad.
About $18 actually based on the current 1.34 exchange rate and $1.05 for postage ($0.90 if you buy in quantity). Still, when I last renewed, I renewed online for convenience.
CAN banking: BMO; Cards: AmEx Gold, BMO AIR MILES World Elite MasterCard; Chase amazon.ca card (closed 2018/03; Chase left Canada)
US banking: Rocky Mountain Bank (MT); Cards: AmEx Premier Rewards Gold, AmEx Blue Cash Everyday, CapOne Platinum MasterCard
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23197 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
Mulder and Scully wrote: It's frustrating to have used Nexus to clear immigration in less than a minute, only to end up waiting at the baggage claim for 20-40 minutes before your luggage comes out. When I returned a few weeks ago I noticed that YYZ has a new problem. Just exiting the baggage claim area now takes 15-20 minutes because there's only one exit and which has only two lines.

Now that I've used my Nexus for several trips, I'm not sure it's worth it if you have checked luggage because the long waits in baggage claim cancels out the time savings of quickly going through immigration.
It's not unique to YYZ. It happens at YVR as well.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17118 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
renewals don't need interview right ?
the online renewal form looks like the same form for first time applications... so it's telling me there are interviews...?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
The first time my wife and I renewed, she didn't need an interview and I did. The second time we renewed neither of us needed an interview.
Phils