• Jan 18th, 2019 9:10 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3786 posts
348 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
robsaw wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 1:44 am
You can't enter exactly as your passport in the way you're thinking because the passport doesn't have anything called a "middle name" field. Enter first name as on your passport in the nexus "given name" field and your middle name in the "middle name" field. In the nexus online profile it actually read "Given/first name", then "Middle name".
Thank you.

So even though on the passport information page it said "enter the given name exactly as it is shown on the passport" I should be good by splitting my two names up? I did as you said and put my first name in the "given name" box (which on the passport information page does not specify 'given name/first name' like on the profile page) and my middle in the "middle name" box.

Just worried I might need to contact someone at CBP in case I've made an error Disappointed But Relieved Face.

Thanks again
Jan 8, 2019
2 posts
Hi all I have a question about the US CBP nexus process, I had a US mail infraction sent to me I think it was 1994-1996. A former friend of mine had mailed himself home a football satellite card that he had programmed while he was on holidays here in Canada and put my return address on the envelope ( unknown to me at the time) The mail notice came to me and asked if I wanted to claim the product, I sent a letter telling them I had no idea what this was in reference to and it wasnt my product whatever it was. I heard nothing back from the US after sending the letter,(but did find out it was the former friend who mailed a card to himself. I am applying for a nexus pass now and wanted to know if that would be on my record with them? as they did send me a notice of infraction originally. I have no criminal record nor have I ever been stopped in the numerous times that I travel to the USA since that time. Just don't want to say no on the application where it asks about customs and find out that I should have said yes. and then get denied even though I had nothing to do with the situation.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18140 posts
2830 upvotes
GTA West
Applicant12345 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 4:16 pm
Hi all I have a question about the US CBP nexus process, I had a US mail infraction sent to me I think it was 1994-1996. A former friend of mine had mailed himself home a football satellite card that he had programmed while he was on holidays here in Canada and put my return address on the envelope ( unknown to me at the time) The mail notice came to me and asked if I wanted to claim the product, I sent a letter telling them I had no idea what this was in reference to and it wasnt my product whatever it was. I heard nothing back from the US after sending the letter,(but did find out it was the former friend who mailed a card to himself. I am applying for a nexus pass now and wanted to know if that would be on my record with them? as they did send me a notice of infraction originally. I have no criminal record nor have I ever been stopped in the numerous times that I travel to the USA since that time. Just don't want to say no on the application where it asks about customs and find out that I should have said yes. and then get denied even though I had nothing to do with the situation.
They have been able to find stuff from people's juvenile criminal history, which is supposedly sealed.
You should mention this thing on the Nexus application. Many people have reportedly said 'yes' and provided the explanation, and still got approved for Nexus.
I am also going to ask the moderators to merge this with the main Nexus thread.

Please also note that Nexus applications may not be processed right now due to the US Government shutdown.
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Jan 10th, 2019 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4451 posts
266 upvotes
Has anyone been travelling over the past week during the government shutdown in the US? Has pre-clearance taken longer? Want to see if I can still arrive an hour before my departure. :)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7074 posts
4561 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Lovable wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 11:16 pm
Has anyone been travelling over the past week during the government shutdown in the US? Has pre-clearance taken longer? Want to see if I can still arrive an hour before my departure. :)
There’s a whole topic on the US Govt Shutdown here

has-us-shutdown-affected-your-us-travel-plans-2255425/

And some of the posts touched on US Preclearance at Cdn Airports

Personally, I would plan for the worst, and rejoice if it’s better than anticipated
So ya, I think an hour is cutting things too close under the circumstances
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4574 posts
622 upvotes
Montreal
My daughter is flying to Vegas tomorrow and was told to arrive at the airport 3 hours before her flight.

However it seems to me that, with a Nexus card, the agent that is on the job is likely to spend less time with a trusted traveller in order to have more time for the other rats & mice that require more attention.

On the other hand, she intends to go to Red Rock which apparently might be closed now.
Phils
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1629 posts
288 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 2:52 pm
If you use gmail there's a trick for that using the + sign. If your email is elpaso@gmail.com, use elpaso+kid@gmail.com for your kid. Login.gov will accept it as a distinct email address, but you will receive emails for that at your normal gmail account.
Thanks for this idea, I tried it and it works. It is useful as I'm planning to get Nexus for myself, wife and child.
Sep 6, 2009
230 posts
56 upvotes
Regina
gr8dlr wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 7:56 pm
13 year old to 18 year old can look very different.... Might be a good idea to update the picture just in case you get a agent who might claim the person in the pic is not the person in front of them. Last thing you want us trouble when you're at the border.
I'm not sure you have the option.

If a person is worried, there is an easy workaround - bring your passport as well.
CAN banking: BMO; Cards: AmEx Gold, BMO AIR MILES World Elite MasterCard; Chase amazon.ca card (closed 2018/03; Chase left Canada)
US banking: Rocky Mountain Bank (MT); Cards: AmEx Premier Rewards Gold, AmEx Blue Cash Everyday, CapOne Platinum MasterCard
Sep 6, 2009
230 posts
56 upvotes
Regina
Typhoonz wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 10:45 am
Thanks.

Another question - I'm assuming CBP isn't processing renewals at the moment. Would it be best to just wait until the feds are back to work or would it be best to submit now that way my renewal is in the (long) list of people that are also waiting to be processed? Basically worried if I submit my renewal now it'll get missed or something (probably an irrational thought).
Best to renew now. If you've applied for renewal, your existing NEXUS remains valid until the interview occurs and your status is reconfirmed or denied. In other words, should this still be continuing in April, you'll be deemed to still have NEXUS membership and can continue to use NEXUS lanes and benefits while stuff gets sorted.
CAN banking: BMO; Cards: AmEx Gold, BMO AIR MILES World Elite MasterCard; Chase amazon.ca card (closed 2018/03; Chase left Canada)
US banking: Rocky Mountain Bank (MT); Cards: AmEx Premier Rewards Gold, AmEx Blue Cash Everyday, CapOne Platinum MasterCard
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3786 posts
348 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
PhotoJim wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 10:42 am
Best to renew now. If you've applied for renewal, your existing NEXUS remains valid until the interview occurs and your status is reconfirmed or denied. In other words, should this still be continuing in April, you'll be deemed to still have NEXUS membership and can continue to use NEXUS lanes and benefits while stuff gets sorted.
Thanks, submitted Jan 7. Some people on flyertalk have been reporting renewals happening over the shutdown, so here's to hoping they are actually still processing things!
Sep 6, 2009
230 posts
56 upvotes
Regina
Typhoonz wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 7:09 pm
Thanks, submitted Jan 7. Some people on flyertalk have been reporting renewals happening over the shutdown, so here's to hoping they are actually still processing things!
I'm not sure if they're doing renewal processing, but if they are and you get offered an interview, it will be by Canadian agents only. You'll have a separate US interview later. Take heed in case this is inconvenient for you. (I live in Regina, so I have to travel to another province for an interview. :) )
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3786 posts
348 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
PhotoJim wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 10:08 am
I'm not sure if they're doing renewal processing, but if they are and you get offered an interview, it will be by Canadian agents only. You'll have a separate US interview later. Take heed in case this is inconvenient for you. (I live in Regina, so I have to travel to another province for an interview. :) )
Ouch, that sucks. Luckily I'm just down the road from an enrollment centre!
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
3928 posts
355 upvotes
Scarborough
Does any know if the enrollment center is closed or just not taking any interviews? Need to update my TN Visa info....
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3786 posts
348 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
GateGuardian wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 11:25 am
Does any know if the enrollment center is closed or just not taking any interviews? Need to update my TN Visa info....
I called the Ottawa one and they are open. The Canadians are working, but the person on the phone said no US personnel will be there to do anything.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17327 posts
2111 upvotes
Langley
Well, I just applied for renewal for me and my wife. Our cards expire at the end of June. Hopefully this Trump Shutdown nonsense will be over soon and we can be renewed before expiry. I've also gotta apply for a newborn as soon as his birth certificate arrives.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)