Travel

[Merged] NEXUS pass?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 2:51 pm
Jun 28, 2011
463 posts
140 upvotes
VANCOUVER
GangStarr wrote: I checked yesterday and still pending approval but they did say it’s valid for 12 months after expiry.

I’m not even travelling domestically but it’s Always ncie to have current I’d
Hope you get approval soon too! Yeah, its nice to have it current even if it won't be used for the time being.
Jun 28, 2011
463 posts
140 upvotes
VANCOUVER
nosnoop wrote: My kids passport has expired.
To renew Nexus, do I need to renew the passport first?
I was thinking of deferring the passport renewal until I have firm plans for travel.
I suggest renewing the passport as Nexus likes to have a valid passport on file.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12700 posts
15951 upvotes
oldskool75 wrote: Similarly, I applied for renewal March 2020, just got approved last week. It has the 5 year expiry from the previous expiration date. I.e. I've lost a year. Oh well.
Unfortunately that is the case for me too. I guess they base the 5 year expiry on the previous expiration date.
Have a nice day!

Jun 28, 2011
463 posts
140 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Curious how long it took for the new Nexus pass to arrive in the mail during the pandemic?
For my initial card and subsequent renewal, the card arrived within 2 weeks.
This time around, I anticipate delays.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19733 posts
28614 upvotes
Vancouver
LonesomeDove wrote: Unfortunately that is the case for me too. I guess they base the 5 year expiry on the previous expiration date.
It's based on your birth date. Expiry is always 5 years plus the time until your next birthday after that. So if you renew early enough you can get nearly six years of validity on your new card. But then you have subtract the time your previous card was able to be used, so it all balances out to every five years on your birthday regardless.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2501 posts
708 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
JACKIE26 wrote: That is nothing I submitted my renewal in May 2020 and its still sitting in 'Wait for Conditional Approval' status since they are not doing anything. My card expired in December, but not like I am going to go anywhere anytime soon, just hoping if i have a family emergency that it will still be valid, I do have a valid passport though.

Not sure why they can't just process them, I have never had to go in person for a renewal in the past. Only thing I can thinkof and would not be surprised is that proof of COVID vaccination might be added as a requirement. Not that I care because I intend to get that vaccination out of the way as soon as I can (funny how going to the US I could have it done now in the state where I own a home, plus being a dual citizen)
Well they FINALLY changed my status to approved on the renewal this morning. Only took them nearly a year, whatever, at this point I am just glad its finally done. Not that I can go anywhere, well I can but the hassle....forget it. Maybe by summer I can use it again, probably wishful thinking, but I hope at least by Fall once vaccinations have taken hold.
Jun 28, 2011
463 posts
140 upvotes
VANCOUVER
JACKIE26 wrote: Well they FINALLY changed my status to approved on the renewal this morning. Only took them nearly a year, whatever, at this point I am just glad its finally done. Not that I can go anywhere, well I can but the hassle....forget it. Maybe by summer I can use it again, probably wishful thinking, but I hope at least by Fall once vaccinations have taken hold.
At last! Yes, very late but it's done. Still waiting for new card to arrive in the mail although I won't be going across the border anytime soon.
Jun 28, 2011
463 posts
140 upvotes
VANCOUVER
travelandshoppingwoman77 wrote: Curious how long it took for the new Nexus pass to arrive in the mail during the pandemic?
For my initial card and subsequent renewal, the card arrived within 2 weeks.
This time around, I anticipate delays.
Got my new Nexus card last week so about 2 1/2 weeks from renewal to getting the card.
Activated it and nowhere to go. Neutral Face
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
I am feeling irrationally optimistic about borders reopening for some reason, so went ahead and sent off my Nexus renewal this morning.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
CorSter wrote: so went ahead and sent off my Nexus renewal this morning.
And approved less than 48 hours later.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2006
3164 posts
26401 upvotes
Toronto
Possible price increase for NEXUS:

https://blog.rewardscanada.ca/2021/03/m ... odiva.html

It appears that the U.S. CBP wants to increase the fee for NEXUS cardholders by a significant amount. Right now it costs US$50 to apply for or renew a NEXUS Trusted Traveler membership. That may be jumping to US$120 as the the U.S. CBP has applied to increase fees for the Global Entry and SENTRI programs. They are proposing a new fee of US$120 for those programs and in the application they mention they will apply separately to adjust NEXUS as well so it is harmonized with their other programs. That means we may eventually see NEXUS cost us US$120. There is no indication of when that separate application will be made. If and when that happens the next question will be "Will the credit cards that have NEXUS credits boost the benefit" Right now we have select CIBC Aventura cards that provide a credit for the C$ equivalent of the US$50 fee as do several TD Aeroplan cards. Will these card issuers be willing to boost that credit to cover this higher fee? (Source: https://www.regulations.gov/document/USCBP-2020-0035-0001)
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
11537 posts
1041 upvotes
Ottawa
LonesomeDove wrote: Unfortunately that is the case for me too. I guess they base the 5 year expiry on the previous expiration date.
Which makes sense to me, since your old Nexus card is still valid for a year, if you renew it in time. So in reality, you'd didn't lose a year... You just had to use your old card until the new one arrived.
- Absolute
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
11537 posts
1041 upvotes
Ottawa
FYI, ABTC is now only $25 for renewal, at least. Used to be $75.....

Mine expired back in September, so I renewed it two weeks ago and had an immediate approval. Validity only until 2022 though (my Nexus expired a year ago pending review, while my passport expires in 2030).

Card arrived in theail yesterday.
- Absolute
Sep 6, 2009
343 posts
120 upvotes
Regina
Absolute wrote: Which makes sense to me, since your old Nexus card is still valid for a year, if you renew it in time. So in reality, you'd didn't lose a year... You just had to use your old card until the new one arrived.
Exactly. Renewing your NEXUS card pushes your expiry forward five years. Only the first card effectively gives you more than five years, the amount depending on when in the year you are approved for it.
CAN banking: BMO; Cards: AmEx Gold, BMO AIR MILES World Elite MasterCard; Chase amazon.ca card (closed 2018/03; Chase left Canada)
US banking: Rocky Mountain Bank (MT); Cards: AmEx Premier Rewards Gold, AmEx Blue Cash Everyday, CapOne Platinum MasterCard
Aug 13, 2018
421 posts
471 upvotes
Applied 2 days ago and already received conditional approval. This is a good time to apply if anyone wants nexus. You have 2 years from the day of conditional approval to book an appointment before you lose your application.
Apr 20, 2009
414 posts
140 upvotes
Ottawa
jerry70450 wrote: Applied 2 days ago and already received conditional approval. This is a good time to apply if anyone wants nexus. You have 2 years from the day of conditional approval to book an appointment before you lose your application.
Yup, be nice though when they start the interview process again.
My kids have now waited a year for their interviews. NEXUS has cancelled 3 interviews so far. 2 in Ottawa and 1 in Gananoque.
I am dreading the backlog of appointments that will be needed to catch up.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
spooky wrote: Possible price increase for NEXUS:

https://blog.rewardscanada.ca/2021/03/m ... odiva.html

It appears that the U.S. CBP wants to increase the fee for NEXUS cardholders by a significant amount. Right now it costs US$50 to apply for or renew a NEXUS Trusted Traveler membership. That may be jumping to US$120 as the the U.S. CBP has applied to increase fees for the Global Entry and SENTRI programs. They are proposing a new fee of US$120 for those programs and in the application they mention they will apply separately to adjust NEXUS as well so it is harmonized with their other programs. That means we may eventually see NEXUS cost us US$120. There is no indication of when that separate application will be made. If and when that happens the next question will be "Will the credit cards that have NEXUS credits boost the benefit" Right now we have select CIBC Aventura cards that provide a credit for the C$ equivalent of the US$50 fee as do several TD Aeroplan cards. Will these card issuers be willing to boost that credit to cover this higher fee? (Source: https://www.regulations.gov/document/USCBP-2020-0035-0001)
Wow, that would be highway robbery.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11548 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
Hairball wrote: Wow, that would be highway robbery.
If it helps discourage people from signing up I’m okay with it.

On another note. Checked still pending review for renewal since September!
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2501 posts
708 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
JACKIE26 wrote: Well they FINALLY changed my status to approved on the renewal this morning. Only took them nearly a year, whatever, at this point I am just glad its finally done. Not that I can go anywhere, well I can but the hassle....forget it. Maybe by summer I can use it again, probably wishful thinking, but I hope at least by Fall once vaccinations have taken hold.
New card came in the mail today ,or maybe a week ago or more LOL, I only check the mail every 2 weeks because its really just flyers that I just have to carry home and dump in the recycle bin.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3747 posts
909 upvotes
Can you still apply for Nexus passes right now? More importantly can you get the interview as I remember that had to be done at the border / airport?