[Merged] NEXUS pass?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 2:51 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
1226 wrote: Yes.
Apparently, that's not the case based on one family I know. They said it was completely random, but now that the TDC is no longer a requirement, they just make a verbal declaration #justsayin
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3504 upvotes
Vancouver
Pavel wrote: Apparently, that's not the case based on one family I know. They said it was completely random, but now that the TDC is no longer a requirement, they just make a verbal declaration #justsayin

Yeah I know that but the question was about when you DO (or did) use a TDC, and yes your CC always got charged when you submitted one.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
Apparently not...according to this family I know. Their CC did not *always* get charged even though they bought more than groceries. I know in "theory" they're suppose to charge but looks like for at least this one family, they didn't. To say that they ALWAYS charge is rather opinionated since we haven't examined everyone's records who has ever submitted a TDC ;)
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3504 upvotes
Vancouver
Pavel wrote: Apparently not...according to this family I know. Their CC did not *always* get charged even though they bought more than groceries. I know in "theory" they're suppose to charge but looks like for at least this one family, they didn't. To say that they ALWAYS charge is rather opinionated since we haven't examined everyone's records who has ever submitted a TDC ;)
OK obviously allowances have to be made for the odd mistake. Nothing is 100%. Especially something as manual and paper based as the TDC. Actually i think they missed me once. But for all intents and purposes, if you dropped a slip in the box you could expect to be charged.
Jun 5, 2007
973 posts
205 upvotes
York
Another added bonus to the Nexus pass: bypass some naynay scanners
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 37016.html

The Transportation Security Administration is rolling out expedited screening at big airports called "Precheck." It has special lanes for background-checked travelers, who can keep their shoes, belt and jacket on, leave laptops and liquids in carry-on bags and walk through a metal detector rather than a full-body scan. The process, now at two airlines and nine airports, is much like how screenings worked before the Sept. 11 attacks.

Once TSA announced in the fall that enrollment in Global Entry and CBP's other "trusted travel" programs (Nexus for frequent travel across the Canadian border and Sentri for frequent travel across the Mexican border) would get you into Precheck, applications for Global Entry took off.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
chernabog wrote: Not sure what the current wait times are but if it's like what it was last summer / fall, don't count on it.

Damn.

For some reason I think I'm going to be denied. I put the incorrect license plate as I just got a new car. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes
It took me close to 7 weeks to get conditional approval, but luckily for me, an interview slot was available 2 days following!
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes
So I had my interview. Took me close to 7 weeks to get conditional approval but with incredible luck an interview slot popped up 2 days after conditional approval. The "interview" only involved asking me why I wanted a Nexus. The rest of the time the border agents were busy confirming the info on my application.

Anyone know what the Nexus lane wait times are like at Peace Arch and Truck crossing these days? And do I have to register my license plate number at all?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19893 posts
4112 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Any idea how long it takes to get a replacement for a lost card? I did the application a couple weeks ago, it still says in process.
Jun 21, 2005
366 posts
167 upvotes
I hope someone who is a Nexus user can answer this. I understand that Nexus card holders fill out a declaration and drop it off upon re-entry to Canada. If you are over your exemption, taxes and duties are charged to the credit card on file. My question is this: With Nexus will you pay on the entire overage, or are the tax and duty charges still at the discretion of the border agents reviewing the declarations? We are always over our exemption, sometimes by a large margin, and so far have never had to pay upon returning to Canada. If you pay on the entire overage with Nexus, I can wait in line.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1925 posts
488 upvotes
YVR
Silverbullet wrote: I hope someone who is a Nexus user can answer this. I understand that Nexus card holders fill out a declaration and drop it off upon re-entry to Canada. If you are over your exemption, taxes and duties are charged to the credit card on file. My question is this: With Nexus will you pay on the entire overage, or are the tax and duty charges still at the discretion of the border agents reviewing the declarations? We are always over our exemption, sometimes by a large margin, and so far have never had to pay upon returning to Canada. If you pay on the entire overage with Nexus, I can wait in line.
You categorize your purchases into the respective categories as listed by Nexus (toys, basic groceries, clothing etc). Based on the TDC form, tax / duties will be charged to your credit card according.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5603 posts
2005 upvotes
Toronto
There is no discretion - they will charge you on everything.

If I'm bringing back a ton extra (ie liquor), I just take the non-nexus line and tell the border agent I'm a "couple" of bottles over.
Aug 19, 2002
231 posts
24 upvotes
Hey all,

Long time Nexus member here. Has anyone noticed that the Nexus security lanes at various airports are getting clogged with the families with kids that they allow through them as well? Its been a real pet peeve of mine that I've been waiting behind large families with screaming kids who take longer than the average person to get through security with all their carry-on luggage for their kids.

Pro-tip: Last time I was at Pearson I complained to the security officer managing the Nexus lane as there was a long line of families who didn't have Nexus in the lane and she marched me right up to the front of the line.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5603 posts
2005 upvotes
Toronto
Seems to me that Pearson line actually is for families too - I always see families with kids in strollers going through.

I had the same experience - the security person saw my nexus pass and walked me right to the front.
Jun 5, 2009
46 posts
1 upvote
Bc
I have a question..I order stuff online and have it shipped to the US and pick it up, and also fill up gas..Sometimes the lanes to get into the US are 45mins+ can I just say I want to avoid the long line ups to get a nexus pass?
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
nb23 wrote: I have a question..I order stuff online and have it shipped to the US and pick it up, and also fill up gas..Sometimes the lanes to get into the US are 45mins+ can I just say I want to avoid the long line ups to get a nexus pass?
Yes. I don't think you need to give them a reason but if they ask just say it is for convenience.
Mar 22, 2007
304 posts
117 upvotes
Whitchurch-stouffvil…
Question for the experts here.
We got our Nexus cards and used them now and then.
I've always filled out the downloadable sheet even if I am not close to the limit.

With the limit going up in June, do I still need to fill out the sheet or just drive up and tell them that I'm under the limit and keep going?

We're headed to NYC in a few weeks and thought we'd cross @ Lewiston early ... they have Nexus now I think. So can't wait for the new limits.
OH...we have a 3 year old and she has her own Nexus card, so don't get mad if you see us @ the Nexus line in Pearson. :)

Thanks!
Mar 8, 2009
24 posts
Burlington
gei wrote: There is no discretion - they will charge you on everything.

If I'm bringing back a ton extra (ie liquor), I just take the non-nexus line and tell the border agent I'm a "couple" of bottles over.

I've never had my card charged when over the limit, but none of that is booze which they seem to care more about. Latest time was just last weekend
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes
kr8zymike wrote: Question for the experts here.
We got our Nexus cards and used them now and then.
I've always filled out the downloadable sheet even if I am not close to the limit.

With the limit going up in June, do I still need to fill out the sheet or just drive up and tell them that I'm under the limit and keep going?

We're headed to NYC in a few weeks and thought we'd cross @ Lewiston early ... they have Nexus now I think. So can't wait for the new limits.
OH...we have a 3 year old and she has her own Nexus card, so don't get mad if you see us @ the Nexus line in Pearson. :)

Thanks!
filling out the TDC is completely optional, whether you use Nexus lanes or normal lanes. You are still obliged to declare truthfully however, whether by filling out TDC or verbally.
Aug 31, 2006
488 posts
284 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
i6s1 wrote: Any idea how long it takes to get a replacement for a lost card? I did the application a couple weeks ago, it still says in process.

7 weeks and counting here (still "Pending Review" in the status)...