• Sep 21st, 2016 6:00 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
8483 posts
864 upvotes
GVR
Pavel wrote:
Apr 7th, 2011 1:05 am
Do they really care? Every once in a while I hear about an altercation....usually at the Nexus Truck Crossing (north and south bound) about cars butting in. If you mention this to the CBSA or US agent on duty they'll likely give you a hard time. Heck, I even seen people in the Nexus lane going through without a Nexus card, but a passport.

Yeah that's why I never brought it up with an officer. I'm sure individually they don't care.
General Radek had some good ideas.
Sep 26, 2006
518 posts
77 upvotes
North York
matwiz wrote:
Feb 5th, 2011 4:16 pm
The "interview" depends on the officers. In my case, it was the Canadians first that asked for your documentation then the American side (literally next booth in the same office) took my pictures, fingerprints and iris scan. Then you will practice with the sample machine.

Then during that time, the cards were instantaneously produced and given to me before I left. I dont know if they do that now still or they "mail" it to you in 10 days.

I had my interview yesterday in Toronto and was approved.

With this US Government shutdown potentially happening as soon as end of day tomorrow (Friday), do you think they'll have created and mailed my card in time prior to the shutdown, or will it get 'stuck'?
Jan 3, 2008
708 posts
60 upvotes
W.GTA
Striker317 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2011 1:41 pm
I had my interview yesterday in Toronto and was approved.

With this US Government shutdown potentially happening as soon as end of day tomorrow (Friday), do you think they'll have created and mailed my card in time prior to the shutdown, or will it get 'stuck'?

Yes, they should have mailed it out today or tomorrow, got mine pretty fast.
Sep 26, 2006
518 posts
77 upvotes
North York
toyorav4me wrote:
Apr 7th, 2011 8:56 pm
Yes, they should have mailed it out today or tomorrow, got mine pretty fast.

Received it today!
Sep 6, 2005
275 posts
6 upvotes
Ottawa
I just got my nexus card yesterday. I'm still not clear on whether this is all I need to cross the border at Prescott and/or Cornwall On. As far as I know they do not have nexus lanes so does that mean I need my passport? I know it is a WHTI travel document but I've read conflicting information. Is there any definitive information???
Apr 24, 2009
103 posts
12 upvotes
tryinginvain wrote:
Apr 14th, 2011 11:29 am
I just got my nexus card yesterday. I'm still not clear on whether this is all I need to cross the border at Prescott and/or Cornwall On. As far as I know they do not have nexus lanes so does that mean I need my passport? I know it is a WHTI travel document but I've read conflicting information. Is there any definitive information???

The Nexus card is all you need. For our first couple trips with the Nexus card we brought our Passports "just in case", we were never asked for them. You can use a passport or a NEXUS card or an EDL at any land crossing including a non-NEXUS lane (regular lane). For instance, if you are crossing with friends that don't have NEXUS at a regular lane (because you have to use a regular lane in that case) you just hand over their passports and your NEXUS and you're good to go!

I found a source to make it more definitive than my personal experience (http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/a ... t-eng.html):

[INDENT]Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

For Canadian and U.S. citizens, NEXUS membership cards also fulfill the travel document requirements of the U.S. WHTI. A NEXUS membership card may be used as an alternative to a passport when entering the United States:

* by air when used at kiosks at designated airports; and
* at all land and marine ports of entry.[/INDENT]

Scott
Sep 6, 2005
275 posts
6 upvotes
Ottawa
iamscott wrote:
Apr 14th, 2011 12:18 pm
The Nexus card is all you need. For our first couple trips with the Nexus card we brought our Passports "just in case", we were never asked for them. You can use a passport or a NEXUS card or an EDL at any land crossing including a non-NEXUS lane (regular lane). For instance, if you are crossing with friends that don't have NEXUS at a regular lane (because you have to use a regular lane in that case) you just hand over their passports and your NEXUS and you're good to go!

I found a source to make it more definitive than my personal experience (http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/a ... t-eng.html):

[INDENT]Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

For Canadian and U.S. citizens, NEXUS membership cards also fulfill the travel document requirements of the U.S. WHTI. A NEXUS membership card may be used as an alternative to a passport when entering the United States:

* by air when used at kiosks at designated airports; and
* at all land and marine ports of entry.[/INDENT]

Scott

That's great! I'll probably still bring my passport the first couple of times anyway but it's nice to see it in writing. I have to go to YOW at some point to get a retina scan so I'll ask them too just to see what they say about it.
Sep 8, 2006
592 posts
73 upvotes
Richmond
a guy went through nexus line @ point roberts in front of me. americans took away their passports and brought them in for secondary inspection.

it made the 5 minutes he delayed the whole line not seem so bad...
Sep 26, 2006
518 posts
77 upvotes
North York
tryinginvain wrote:
Apr 14th, 2011 2:56 pm
That's great! I'll probably still bring my passport the first couple of times anyway but it's nice to see it in writing. I have to go to YOW at some point to get a retina scan so I'll ask them too just to see what they say about it.

They scan your iris, not your retina
Feb 4, 2011
28 posts
1 upvote
toronto
trellaine201 wrote:
Aug 18th, 2007 2:28 pm
I am going Monday for my NEXUS pass at YVR.

Has anyone recently applied and had the interview?

Do they give you the NEXUS pass the same day? It seems the sight suggests they do but someone at work said they mail it out and takes 4-6 weeks?

Thanks

Back in 2007 - they print the card on the same day of your interview - by the US DHS. Now it's different - they mail it out to you.
Feb 4, 2006
137 posts
I have a question about the appeals process. Yes, I know about the zero tolerance policy, etc. but I have to ask in case there is a chance.

My wife has a Nexus card, I don't. A couple weeks ago, we went Buffalo shopping, came back through the common man's lane using our Cdn passports. We understated our purchases by a couple hundred, I said 250 - 300, it was in the 450 range. Were pulled over for inspection. We voluntarily produced all our receipts, without any attempt to hide / cheat the goods or the receipts.

The officers pointed out our mistake very clearly in words, but didn't say anything about a formal warning, and no one said anything about a seizure action, or the revocation of Nexus privileges. We paid 13% taxes on the full amount, and were let go. On the receipt for the taxes paid, there is no indication of wrongdoing, it says clothing, shoes for women and kids.

This week she received her revocation notice from the GOES site. She hasn't received the letter that's supposed to arrive. She called up the CBSA and was told about how to appeal.

So the question is whether she should appeal, and any advice on what approach to take? Does the letter contain any more information that is relevant to the appeal, and should wait for it?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
8483 posts
864 upvotes
GVR
botham wrote:
Jun 8th, 2011 9:36 pm
I have a question about the appeals process. Yes, I know about the zero tolerance policy, etc. but I have to ask in case there is a chance.

My wife has a Nexus card, I don't. A couple weeks ago, we went Buffalo shopping, came back through the common man's lane using our Cdn passports. We understated our purchases by a couple hundred, I said 250 - 300, it was in the 450 range. Were pulled over for inspection. We voluntarily produced all our receipts, without any attempt to hide / cheat the goods or the receipts.

The officers pointed out our mistake very clearly in words, but didn't say anything about a formal warning, and no one said anything about a seizure action, or the revocation of Nexus privileges. We paid 13% taxes on the full amount, and were let go. On the receipt for the taxes paid, there is no indication of wrongdoing, it says clothing, shoes for women and kids.

This week she received her revocation notice from the GOES site. She hasn't received the letter that's supposed to arrive. She called up the CBSA and was told about how to appeal.

So the question is whether she should appeal, and any advice on what approach to take? Does the letter contain any more information that is relevant to the appeal, and should wait for it?

Yikes that blows. Good warning for the rest of us.

I'm guessing the letter will contain info on the appeals process although I wouldn't put it past them to consider the decision final.
General Radek had some good ideas.
Aug 8, 2005
418 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
Now I'm worried too... not as bad as the previous poster, but still worried.

I crossed a few weeks ago and brought back $280. That included mostly groceries and stuff, but I had purchased a microwave for $120.

The thing was, there were about 20 receipts, so 19 of them were for groceries and household items, and one was for a microwave. So it got buried in the receipts.

When I made a verbal declaration to the officer (didn't use a declaration card), I said "$280 in groceries". Forgot completely to mention the microwave.

She then asked for my receipts (duh, of course.. who buys $280 in groceries? She probably thought I had bought beer or tobacco or something). She said in an upset voice "You bought a microwave? You didn't mention that"

Sent me inside to pay duty on the $280. While I was inside, she came in as her shift was over or whatever. She lectured me for 2 mins as the other officer was taking my credit card for payment and giving me my receipt. She said "you know you could lose your Nexus priviliges over something like this, right?"

I apologized and said I had forgotten about it. She still seemed upset.

Here's the issue: she sat down at a computer and started typing away. This was a month ago, so I'm sure I am not losing my Nexus card, **BUT** did she enter notes about the incident????

I'm wondering if they do that. I know they enter notes when people forget to declare tobacco for example, but that is on their passport record. Is there a separate set of notes for NEXUS card holders that gets reviewed by the NEXUS program regularly?

I'm worried that some day I will declare $250 and actually have $260, and someone at NEXUS will put 2 and 2 together and revoke my card (ie. "two incidents of underdeclaring")

Is this possible, or am I just being paranoid?
Apr 24, 2009
103 posts
12 upvotes
BHA1 wrote:
Jun 9th, 2011 7:00 am

I'm wondering if they do that. I know they enter notes when people forget to declare tobacco for example, but that is on their passport record. Is there a separate set of notes for NEXUS card holders that gets reviewed by the NEXUS program regularly?

I'm worried that some day I will declare $250 and actually have $260, and someone at NEXUS will put 2 and 2 together and revoke my card (ie. "two incidents of underdeclaring")

Is this possible, or am I just being paranoid?

I've only been a Nexus holder for less than 1 year, so I'm no expert, but this is interesting. BOTHAM, above stated that he and his wife crossed using their PASSPORTS rather than her NEXUS, so they must link the Passport to the Nexus card when it comes to your record.

In the short time that I've used NEXUS, I've noticed it getting busier at the Niagara area crossings, so maybe they are going to be more harsh with enforcement. I think the lesson is to make sure you double check your receipts and make sure you don't accidentally under-declare. In your example of $260 instead of $250 the difference is $1.30 of HST...definitely not worth losing NEXUS. I know that I'll be careful with my math after hearing these two stories!

Scott
Jan 4, 2004
209 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond
does anyone know if its possible to apply for a nexus card if you have committed a customs violation a LONG time ago (7 years), but have since always traveled many times each month with no further incident? I e-mailed them and got a reply that didn't answer the question.
× < >