Travel

[Merged] NEXUS pass?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 2:51 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
2092 posts
449 upvotes
Stumbled upon a Pearson interview for this weekend yesterday :) . So I don't have to wait I till March anymore in Fort Erie.

I did notice on the pick list there were 2 new "Toronto A" and "Toronto B" interview location options. I didn't look in to them further but if other GTA people are looking for Toronto interviews perhaps check those out. Flyertalk people noticed it too.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2004
1481 posts
1015 upvotes
Just saw lots of openings for the next week at Pearson! Guess they opened up a lot more appointment times. Just changed mine to sat
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3301 posts
1486 upvotes
Pearson now has no appointments :-(
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3301 posts
1486 upvotes
Spoke to soon, I spent an hour on the website and now I have feb 25.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
2092 posts
449 upvotes
Yeah my friend got preapproved this week and she said no Toronto openings and Fort Erie is showing June.

Happy with the quick processing of getting my card. Interviewed on a Saturday and got my card in 6 business days.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5186 posts
1829 upvotes
Mississauga
I was at YYZ last month and they now have Global Entry machines next to the Nexus machines. I like the GE machines much better!!! No need to retina scan, just scan you passport and takes your picture. They had 3 Nexus and 3 Global Entry machines, but 2 of the Nexus were down.
Deal Fanatic
May 19, 2005
5042 posts
2739 upvotes
Earth
GateGuardian wrote: I was at YYZ last month and they now have Global Entry machines next to the Nexus machines. I like the GE machines much better!!! No need to retina scan, just scan you passport and takes your picture. They had 3 Nexus and 3 Global Entry machines, but 2 of the Nexus were down.
That's only if you carry your passport. The last few times I've gone completely with just the NEXUS card. On my last trip I didn't even carry a passport as a backup since it's not require anymore. Could still be a problem if all the NEXUS machines are down; so I don't recommend anyone fly without it.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.

$99 10GB/month Can/US/Mexico, 1000 minutes, free evenings and weekend
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5603 posts
2005 upvotes
Toronto
GateGuardian wrote: I was at YYZ last month and they now have Global Entry machines next to the Nexus machines. I like the GE machines much better!!! No need to retina scan, just scan you passport and takes your picture. They had 3 Nexus and 3 Global Entry machines, but 2 of the Nexus were down.
I've used both and the process is painless and about 30 seconds with either machine... the GE machines are really not "much better".

Just used the GE machines in MIA the other day when I was connecting there on the way back to Canada... now that was convenient.
Dec 3, 2009
21 posts
3 upvotes
Just booked my interview at YYZ for Feb 23, is there anything else besides my passport and the letter that I need to bring to the interview?
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
2092 posts
449 upvotes
jaundoo wrote: Just booked my interview at YYZ for Feb 23, is there anything else besides my passport and the letter that I need to bring to the interview?
They asked for my drivers license too.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2004
1481 posts
1015 upvotes
jaundoo wrote: Just booked my interview at YYZ for Feb 23, is there anything else besides my passport and the letter that I need to bring to the interview?
I would also bring either your birth certificate or citizenship card.
Feb 12, 2013
169 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Passport and letter is good unless if you want to use for land then driver's License is required.
Oct 18, 2006
144 posts
14 upvotes
GTHA
I'm looking into applying for Nexus cards for myself and family. Wife's co-worker said after getting her Nexus pass, she is billed a random amount for duty on a regular basis...??? I don't see how that can be true - sounds very weird. I've googled and can't find any indication of this.

Just wondering if any RFD'ers with Nexus pass have encountered such unexpected billing / charges?

Thanks
Jun 5, 2007
973 posts
205 upvotes
York
If she does not verbally declare her purchases an instead fills out the form, then yes, you are usually billed duty via your credit card. I've never been charged duty when using Nexus (lucky I guess) and always verbally declare everything.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
Has anyone been through the process of renewing a nexus card?
My card and my wife's card both expire this summer.
How much in advance should we apply for them?
Is the procedure the same as applying for the first time?
Phils
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3948 posts
1380 upvotes
Vancouver
I renewed my card last year through GOES. I think I started the renewal process ~2 months ahead of my expiration date. I had to go through another interview at the Nexus office.

However my mom just recently renewed through GOES as well and she didn't have to go through the interview process. I think a few pages ago several ppl said generally no interview is needed unless your info changed since the last application.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks for the renewal info. I've been following this thread over the years but missed that point. I just found the post going back to November that said that an interview might not be necessary. That's great news. BTW, on the CBP site, the recommendation is to apply 90 days in advance. For me that would be mid-April.
Phils
Mar 9, 2006
35 posts
1 upvote
Question: I recently applied for a Nexus card for work and I was wondering about the interview and approval process. Short story - many years ago when I was a lot younger (15+ yrs) I went to Buffalo with some friends for outlet shopping and got caught for not declaring all the items. After some embarrassing back and forth I finally admitted to the purchases and paid the full duties on the items (full disclosure: it was on some clothes that probably didnt add up to $100. LOL). What Im not sure of is whether this will show up on my record or not. The CBSA agent back then said my car licence plate had been put on a list but a) I dont have that car anymore and b) I have never had any trouble during subsequent boarder crossings.

If during the interview they ask if I have had any infractions should I own up to this or casually forget this ever occurred. Do they even keep track of small infractions like this? I just dont want to waste my time going to the interview if they are just going to deny it on this small item although I would totally understand if they did.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Lifesaver wrote: Question: I recently applied for a Nexus card for work and I was wondering about the interview and approval process. Short story - many years ago when I was a lot younger (15+ yrs) I went to Buffalo with some friends for outlet shopping and got caught for not declaring all the items. After some embarrassing back and forth I finally admitted to the purchases and paid the full duties on the items (full disclosure: it was on some clothes that probably didnt add up to $100. LOL). What Im not sure of is whether this will show up on my record or not. The CBSA agent back then said my car licence plate had been put on a list but a) I dont have that car anymore and b) I have never had any trouble during subsequent boarder crossings.

If during the interview they ask if I have had any infractions should I own up to this or casually forget this ever occurred. Do they even keep track of small infractions like this? I just dont want to waste my time going to the interview if they are just going to deny it on this small item although I would totally understand if they did.
IIRC, the ask on the application don't they. Did you answer honestly? I know they asked me during my interview and my daughter a couple of yrs ago during hers too. It's my understanding that any infraction makes you ineligible for NEXUS, period.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2043 posts
78 upvotes
Niagara area
Anyone have any idea on Current Timing for application in Niagara.

Sent in apps end of Feb noticed CC was charged Mar 9th

What happens next. timing? We asked for Fort Erie interview

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)