Travel

[Merged] NEXUS pass?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 2:51 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2733 posts
3964 upvotes
jaguaar wrote: I had to travel to 2250 whirlpool st NY to load up the money first time. Crossed at Lewiston bridge, there was no nexus lane so wasted 45 mins.
There is a Nexus lane both ways at Lewiston, although into the US is not very useful as it's only open for two hours each day.

Into Canada: 7 days a week 8am - 8pm
Into USA: M-F 7am - 9am

Coming back into Canada is great because you use the truck lane over the bridge (Truck/bus/RV/Nexus). So you fly by the one lane of parked cars.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2733 posts
3964 upvotes
loriblum wrote: We received our Nexus cards a few months ago and just booked a flight to Orlando, departing from Pearson. My question is, do we still need to arrive 2-3 hours early as we usually do? Or does Nexus cut the time for this, as well?
You will have shorter lines pre-clearing US customs and going through security. If you have to line up for baggage check you don't gain anything there. I'd say 90 minutes is pretty safe, 60 minutes should be more than enough though.

What day of the week and time are you flying?
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13166 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
It says on the CATSA site that Nexus cardholders don't need to take off their belt/shoes/jacket, can keep their liquids in their carry-on, and so on at the major Canadian airports when going through security in order to speed things up. I just found this out, but when I flew to Madrid last month, I had to do all that stuff. Have you guys been able to get through without having to take all your stuff off?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
loriblum wrote: We received our Nexus cards a few months ago and just booked a flight to Orlando, departing from Pearson. My question is, do we still need to arrive 2-3 hours early as we usually do? Or does Nexus cut the time for this, as well?
The Nexus card is not what determines when you should arrive or check in or drop your bags off. It is your airline. They may have cut off times at the check in counter for your flight and then, you need to consider the security delays.
I know at my airport that the Nexus line is sometimes very long. The regular line has 4 or more security stations whereas the Nexus line only has 1.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Banned
Jan 20, 2017
584 posts
148 upvotes
Idont lewiston myself byt was under the impression that i wont be able to into US from whirlpool bridge as i had not added any money to the card.
Anyways just used nexus bridge to return back to Canada. It took less than 2 mins.
However, i am not impressed with having to navigate small streets before reaching whirlpool bridge on US side.
Which alternative crossing into Canada is best for nexus having dedicated lane and not getting blocked off behind gen eral traffic? Someone mentioned Lewiston.
Owz Fort Erie?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2733 posts
3964 upvotes
Talamasca wrote: It says on the CATSA site that Nexus cardholders don't need to take off their belt/shoes/jacket, can keep their liquids in their carry-on, and so on at the major Canadian airports when going through security in order to speed things up. I just found this out, but when I flew to Madrid last month, I had to do all that stuff. Have you guys been able to get through without having to take all your stuff off?
My experience with this was very inconsistent at Canadian airports. At US airports using the Pre-Check line, they are a lot better at following those guidelines.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2733 posts
3964 upvotes
jaguaar wrote: Idont lewiston myself byt was under the impression that i wont be able to into US from whirlpool bridge as i had not added any money to the card.
Anyways just used nexus bridge to return back to Canada. It took less than 2 mins.
However, i am not impressed with having to navigate small streets before reaching whirlpool bridge on US side.
Which alternative crossing into Canada is best for nexus having dedicated lane and not getting blocked off behind gen eral traffic? Someone mentioned Lewiston.
Owz Fort Erie?
Whirlpool, like Lewiston and Fort Erie, is free to get into the US. You pay when returning to Canada.

No comment on Fort Erie as I don't think I've crossed into Canada from there since getting my Nexus. Lewiston has been a breeze every time.
Sep 6, 2009
343 posts
120 upvotes
Regina
Fort Erie is easy. Keep left heading to the US. I think the NEXUS lanes are on the right when coming back to Canada. I've only used it three times (I live in Regina) but all three times it was easy. (Two of the trips were round trips; the third, we used Whirlpool Rapids to return.)
CAN banking: BMO; Cards: AmEx Gold, BMO AIR MILES World Elite MasterCard; Chase amazon.ca card (closed 2018/03; Chase left Canada)
US banking: Rocky Mountain Bank (MT); Cards: AmEx Premier Rewards Gold, AmEx Blue Cash Everyday, CapOne Platinum MasterCard
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
3283 posts
869 upvotes
I submitted my Nexus renewal in April, mine expires in August. I just got an email update this week that my renewal application has been approved and I can start using the card when I receive them.
The last time I did the renewal(2012), I had to book an appointment and go into the office. Has that been changed now and I will receive the new card in the mail and I don't need to go into the office for new pictures/finger print scan?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6759 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
It was/is a random thing. My wife and I renewed at the same time. She didn't have to go for an interview. I did.
Phils
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
Well they charged my credit card so I suppose that's progress...
Hopefully I hear from them sooner than later, even if it's just to set up the appointment time.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2006
1047 posts
317 upvotes
Vancouver
The NEXUS site says that you can reschedule even if it's past 120-day from the date of conditional approval: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... intment%3F
Please note that canceling an appointment that has reached the 120-day period from the date of conditional approval can cause your application to be cancelled. To avoid having your application cancelled, you should reschedule instead of canceling.
But this guy on flyertalk says that there's a hidden rule that any interview beyound 120 days will be automatically rejected: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24938040-post9278.html

Has anyone been hit with this hidden rule before? The flyertalk guy says this was back in Feb 2012 so I was wondering whether the rules have changed.
Dec 31, 2015
422 posts
69 upvotes
Mars
YYZ interviews are booked untill August.... Buffalo has some appointments open this week what is the better of the two locations there to go to?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1915 upvotes
TO
Applied April 8th
Conditional approval ~June 27
Setup interview July 17 (actually had July 5th open but someone took it - )
Approved right after interview. Waiting for card now

Keep checking system site for interviews they do open up if someone cancels.
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Talamasca wrote: It says on the CATSA site that Nexus cardholders don't need to take off their belt/shoes/jacket, can keep their liquids in their carry-on, and so on at the major Canadian airports when going through security in order to speed things up. I just found this out, but when I flew to Madrid last month, I had to do all that stuff. Have you guys been able to get through without having to take all your stuff off?
When coming back from LA, my ticket was marked TSA PreCheck and I didn't have to take my shoes off, take liquids or laptops out. A lot more convenient. Going there from a Canadian airport, I had to take my shoes and liquids off.

One thing that was interesting though. I was traveling with people that didn't have a nexus card and we booked tickets together on one invoice. They had their tickets marked with TSA PreCheck and went same precheck lane as well. They did not apply for PreCheck nor have a Nexus Card. Did you guys experience something like this? I guess people traveling with you get your benefits too.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
TorontoEh wrote: Applied April 8th
Conditional approval ~June 27
Setup interview July 17 (actually had July 5th open but someone took it - )
Approved right after interview. Waiting for card now

Keep checking system site for interviews they do open up if someone cancels.
Conditional approval? Do they contact you about that? Or how do you find out?
My credit card got charged about a week after yours and ive yet to receive any sort of approval or decline.
The only way I know my envelope was rec. Was because I was charged.
Besides that: silence/nada.

Not sure if it makes a difference but i was born and raised here and not from any of the "questionable" nations Ala Trump.
I did have a legal name change but included all the documents with my application.
Maybe that's the cause for the hold up?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1915 upvotes
TO
IceBlueShoes wrote: Conditional approval? Do they contact you about that? Or how do you find out?
My credit card got charged about a week after yours and ive yet to receive any sort of approval or decline.
The only way I know my envelope was rec. Was because I was charged.
Besides that: silence/nada.

Not sure if it makes a difference but i was born and raised here and not from any of the "questionable" nations Ala Trump.
I did have a legal name change but included all the documents with my application.
Maybe that's the cause for the hold up?
Hey iceblueshoes,
that line just means you're approved (1st phase) and need to go online and schedule an interview at one of their centres for final approval after an interview.

I paid online in USD$ with my visa and was charge 2nd day. Had my interview last week on Mon (YYZ) went smoothly, you sign-in when you enter and they call you up.
Good luck!
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
TorontoEh wrote: Hey iceblueshoes,
that line just means you're approved (1st phase) and need to go online and schedule an interview at one of their centres for final approval after an interview.

I paid online in USD$ with my visa and was charge 2nd day. Had my interview last week on Mon (YYZ) went smoothly, you sign-in when you enter and they call you up.
Good luck!
Thanks. I guess they're just slow.
No news is good news since I've yet to receive (knock on wood) a decline letter.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
Hey, when driving across the border with Nexus, are you supposed to be scanning all cards of all passengers crossing over? I only scanned my card entering into Canada, and the CBSA officer didn't even take the other Nexus cards of the other passengers.

The scanner is odd, no registered ding to say the scan was good or not, so not sure how long to hold the cards at the scanner....
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2733 posts
3964 upvotes
B0000rt wrote: Hey, when driving across the border with Nexus, are you supposed to be scanning all cards of all passengers crossing over? I only scanned my card entering into Canada, and the CBSA officer didn't even take the other Nexus cards of the other passengers.

The scanner is odd, no registered ding to say the scan was good or not, so not sure how long to hold the cards at the scanner....
You're supposed to scan all cards. Some of the crossings have a display that shows how many cards were read.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)