[Merged] NEXUS pass?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2024 1:35 am
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2568 posts
1093 upvotes
Kaminenis wrote: When did you apply?
Nov 7. Looks like I got approved on Dec 19 according to the Notifications on TTP website . I stopped checking the TTP website for a handful of days and I didn't check it again until yesterday (23rd)
Jun 13, 2018
922 posts
642 upvotes
elpaso wrote: Weird system...
Get used to following it, it doesn't take too much to lose the privilege from ANY border officer on both sides
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
3221 posts
2761 upvotes
Montreal
ritzcrv wrote: Get used to following it, it doesn't take too much to lose the privilege from ANY border officer on both sides
Agreed. But using her own email address when she's only 3 months, it makes no sense... Or I'm missing something.
Jun 13, 2018
922 posts
642 upvotes
elpaso wrote: Agreed. But using her own email address when she's only 3 months, it makes no sense... Or I'm missing something.
It's not an age based program, or family based, one credential for each and every participant. Considering how easy it is for an email addy, and a login.gov account, or any other criteria, to take a stand for this hill is odd, to me anyways.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
elpaso wrote: Agreed. But using her own email address when she's only 3 months, it makes no sense... Or I'm missing something.
Are you proposing the government agencies are expected to make sensible and logical decisions? Face With Tears Of Joy
Sep 6, 2009
343 posts
120 upvotes
Regina
Phils wrote: Certainly, once you pass the preliminary background check, you're 90% of the way there. However, I think the idea of "just done at a wicket" understates what actually happens a bit. In my case, I was in an office with closed doors for my interview. It might depend on which Nexus office you need to go to. You don't need a suit and tie but I would wear business casual.
Our initial interviews (2011) were done at Fort Erie, ON at the agents' desks. Our renewal interviews (2016) were done at the counter at the NEXUS office at Toronto Pearson airport; the Canadian officers didn't have anything to say to us but the US one had a couple of questions, and thanked us for not having any violations.

For the initial interview, we wore casual clothing (we drove in from Niagara Falls, and were on holidays). We had no issue. When we renewed, we had just returned to Canada from France a few minutes before, and were boarding our connecting flight home later in the afternoon, so we were also casually dressed. I really don't think the officers care what you wear; I think they're far more interested in how you carry yourself.
CAN banking: BMO; Cards: AmEx Gold, BMO AIR MILES World Elite MasterCard; Chase amazon.ca card (closed 2018/03; Chase left Canada)
US banking: Rocky Mountain Bank (MT); Cards: AmEx Premier Rewards Gold, AmEx Blue Cash Everyday, CapOne Platinum MasterCard
Sep 6, 2009
343 posts
120 upvotes
Regina
elpaso wrote: Weird system...
One person, one account. It makes sense if you think of it. Eventually your infant will be an adult, and can just take over the account with no other special effort required.
CAN banking: BMO; Cards: AmEx Gold, BMO AIR MILES World Elite MasterCard; Chase amazon.ca card (closed 2018/03; Chase left Canada)
US banking: Rocky Mountain Bank (MT); Cards: AmEx Premier Rewards Gold, AmEx Blue Cash Everyday, CapOne Platinum MasterCard
Jun 24, 2015
137 posts
108 upvotes
North York, ON
Our NEXUS chronology:
  • Sept 30 : Applied online
  • Nov 20: Conditional approval
  • Dec 20: Interview at Pearson. My husband and I chose the same time slot and were interviewed together by both US and Canadian border agents at the same time. Got the approval notifications on the TTP portal on the same day.
Expecting to get our cards by mid-January.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Phoenix82 wrote: Our NEXUS chronology:
  • Sept 30 : Applied online
  • Nov 20: Conditional approval
  • Dec 20: Interview at Pearson. My husband and I chose the same time slot and were interviewed together by both US and Canadian border agents at the same time. Got the approval notifications on the TTP portal on the same day.
Expecting to get our cards by mid-January.
Are Nexus cards even being manufactured right now, with the US Government shutdown?
Looking at the FlyerTalk forums, it seems you got extremely lucky in terms of getting an interview before they started cancelling people's appointments due to the shutdown.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19723 posts
28591 upvotes
Vancouver
If you use gmail there's a trick for that using the + sign. If your email is elpaso@gmail.com, use elpaso+kid@gmail.com for your kid. Login.gov will accept it as a distinct email address, but you will receive emails for that at your normal gmail account.
Jun 24, 2015
137 posts
108 upvotes
North York, ON
Jucius Maximus wrote: Are Nexus cards even being manufactured right now, with the US Government shutdown?
Looking at the FlyerTalk forums, it seems you got extremely lucky in terms of getting an interview before they started cancelling people's appointments due to the shutdown.
Good question, the shutdown is something I hadn’t considered. Oh well, let’s see when we get our cards.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
3221 posts
2761 upvotes
Montreal
Kiraly wrote: If you use gmail there's a trick for that using the + sign. If your email is elpaso@gmail.com, use elpaso+kid@gmail.com for your kid. Login.gov will accept it as a distinct email address, but you will receive emails for that at your normal gmail account.
I will try that thanks !
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3301 posts
1486 upvotes
Phoenix82 wrote: Good question, the shutdown is something I hadn’t considered. Oh well, let’s see when we get our cards.
My spouse's interview at Pearson on Sunday was cancelled because of the shutdown.
Jan 27, 2010
294 posts
147 upvotes
Terrana
Wife and I applied on Sept 2. CC charged that day, Still heard nothing. Normal?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
smooth1975 wrote: Wife and I applied on Sept 2. CC charged that day, Still heard nothing. Normal?
The Nexus program does *not* e-mail or phone you when your application is conditionally approved.
Assuming you applied online, the onus is on yourself to log into the website and check the status.

Edit: The TTP FAQ does state they e-mail you upon a status change in your application. But I didn't receive any e-mail.

That said, if you applied Sep 02 and it's still under review, this is certainly longer than average, but not unheard of.
The current expected processing time is 39 business days. Although some people have waited 70, 80, 90 business days.

Due to the US government shutdown, I would expect no further applications to be processed or interviews to take place, until the shutdown is over.
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Dec 30th, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7369 posts
9168 upvotes
Montreal
Jucius Maximus wrote: The Nexus program does *not* e-mail or phone you when your application is conditionally approved.
Assuming you applied online, the onus is on yourself to log into the website and check the status.
This is not correct, at least it wasn't the case for me and my family. When my status changed to conditional approval, I DID receive an email (as did each member of my family when they were conditionally approved). Likewise, when my status changed to approved, I received another email (as did everyone in my family when they were approved).

Now granted, the emails didn't say that I was conditionally approved or approved, but they did indicate that my application's status has changed, and that I needed to log in.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
efrant wrote: This is not correct, at least it wasn't the case for me and my family. When my status changed to conditional approval, I DID receive an email (as did each member of my family when they were conditionally approved). Likewise, when my status changed to approved, I received another email (as did everyone in my family when they were approved).

Now granted, the emails didn't say that I was conditionally approved or approved, but they did indicate that my application's status has changed, and that I needed to log in.
I got conditionally approved recently. No e-mail or anything. I only knew because I logged in.

What you stated, however, does agree with latest TTP FAQ information, so I stand corrected in general.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1829 posts
311 upvotes
Mississauga
For the bikers with Nexus. Any tips? Please.
Which bridge do you prefer to use. Whirlpool or Peace Bridge. Time of day is your choice. Also which lane is the best lane to be in as you approach.

Thanks.
Jan 27, 2010
294 posts
147 upvotes
Terrana
Jucius Maximus wrote: The Nexus program does *not* e-mail or phone you when your application is conditionally approved.

That said, if you applied Sep 02 and it's still under review, this is certainly longer than average, but not unheard of.
The current expected processing time is 39 business days. Although some people have waited 70, 80, 90 business days.

Due to the US government shutdown, I would expect no further applications to be processed or interviews to take place, until the shutdown is over.
Thanks for this. Logged in and saw I was conditionally approved back at the end of October! scheduled an interview for tomorrow, they had one available.. don't know if they'll cancel it due to the shutdown?

thanks for your help.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)