Travel

[Merged] NEXUS pass?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2017 1:35 am
Jun 27, 2012
12 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you for the feedback. I didn't think the distinction was that different, but you are clearly right. I will make some changes to my blog to correct this information.

Dad, traveller and blogger extraordinaire.

www.savvyfamilytravels.com
Nov 20, 2008
603 posts
116 upvotes
Markham
For the record, an update on my paper application! I ended up calling a couple weeks ago to check up on my application status, lo and behold the customs agent told me there's a huge backlog getting letters out, and that I had been conditionally approved on Nov. 19! Scheduled my interview the past Friday at Pearson, didn't have to answer any questions. Updated my employment history and the CBP/CBSA agents there told me I was approved. So once again, around 2.5-3 months from mailing of applications to approval.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
1190 posts
215 upvotes
Vancouver
Can you use the nexus lane for non-domestic and non-US flights (i.e. international flights)?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
6960 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
john.canad wrote:
Dec 19th, 2016 1:10 pm
Can you use the nexus lane for non-domestic and non-US flights (i.e. international flights)?
Yes anywhere in Canada you will get priority screening.

Edit correction at most major airports you get priority screening or queue jump see website for details

Www.catsa.gc.ca/node/11
Last edited by GangStarr on Dec 19th, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
6960 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
doberman_baby wrote:
Dec 19th, 2016 9:13 pm
You can also use Nexus for TSA Pre.
Only on airlines that participate and only if you are selected. You must enter your nexus pass if in the KTN area of your reservation ahead of time

If your departing the USA on a non USA airline then you may not have this option. Air Canada and west jet participate. Porter does not

Most non us airlines do not participate with some exceptions like etihad and Aeromexico

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck-participating-airlines

Also a good idea to learn more about what precheck gives notably not removing shoes jacket and laptop
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2003
16067 posts
1642 upvotes
Langley
The best benefit that precheck gives is the shorter lines. Keeping shoes on is just a bonus.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2004
2974 posts
21 upvotes
Signing up for myself and three kids under 18. Would prefer to do it online but do people know if they charge the $50 USD for kids online? I know it is free on the paper application.
this site is like a drug. Its forum is the drug dealer.
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2003
16067 posts
1642 upvotes
Langley
Rosico wrote:
Dec 21st, 2016 12:58 pm
Signing up for myself and three kids under 18. Would prefer to do it online but do people know if they charge the $50 USD for kids online? I know it is free on the paper application.

It's free online for kids.
Jan 2, 2009
221 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
GangStarr wrote:
Dec 19th, 2016 2:41 pm
Yes anywhere in Canada you will get priority screening.
Hmm, maybe this is something new, because when I last flew Cathay Pacific about a year ago, I don't recall using my Nexus card. I remember getting on the flight and wondering why I was never asked for my Nexus card. On the other hand, when I fly to the US, Nexus comes in handy every time ... although lately, it seems like everyone and their mother has Nexus, at least at YYZ.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
3646 posts
669 upvotes
Winnipeg
So we booked an interview for our baby (CYWG) for February and yesterday before a flight, stopped by and asked if we could do it then, which they did. Saved us a trip to the airport, took maybe 10 minutes. Funny they didn't ask for our ID, being the parents.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Former username: coleworld
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
6960 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
07Ex wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2016 1:02 pm
Hmm, maybe this is something new, because when I last flew Cathay Pacific about a year ago, I don't recall using my Nexus card. I remember getting on the flight and wondering why I was never asked for my Nexus card. On the other hand, when I fly to the US, Nexus comes in handy every time ... although lately, it seems like everyone and their mother has Nexus, at least at YYZ.
Sorry I guess I should have said most major airports. You need to look for trusted traveller line up or at some airports just ask to jump the queue I do it at billy bishop all the time. Some dirty looks at times lol

See list here

Www.catsa.gc.ca/node/11
Jan 2, 2009
221 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
^ Thanks! I didn't know that certain lines were designated for trusted travellers, even for international flights outside the US. I will definitely make use of this next time I will be flying internationally without connecting to the States.
Sep 6, 2009
149 posts
19 upvotes
Regina
07Ex wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2016 9:02 am
^ Thanks! I didn't know that certain lines were designated for trusted travellers, even for international flights outside the US. I will definitely make use of this next time I will be flying internationally without connecting to the States.
At Canadian airports, there will be a NEXUS sign indicating the lane where you go to use the NEXUS lane. e.g. for domestic flights at YYZ Terminal 1, it's at the far right end of the lanes and it's well marked. At YQR it's at the far left. Not all airports have it yet, but most do.