Computers & Electronics

[Merged] Nvidia GPU Class Action Settlement for affected HP, Dell, or Apple laptops

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2015 8:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18545 posts
1841 upvotes

[Merged] Nvidia GPU Class Action Settlement for affected HP, Dell, or Apple laptops

A few years ago, all of the Nvidia's G84 and G86 GPUs had a manufacturing defect and would cause them to fail. Originally uncovered by Charlie of the Inq, this affected a number of the 8000 series of cards.

While both the desktop models and notebook models had the same problem but it hardly affected desktop chips seeing that the fill used will break down with on and off cycles. Seeing that a notebook would be turned on and off more than a few times a day, the issue was more widespread than on desktop GPUs.

After 2 years, a class action lawsuit has finally made some progress though it only includes a fraction of affect notebooks out there. Check if your notebook is on the list as you may be entitled to some compensation. The final hearing is in December.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/30/nvid ... ngadget%29

Class action website:
http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/index.html
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
131 replies
Oct 5, 2009
3 posts
Toronto
sigh looks like US only ? I have one of these affected models which hasnt been working for quite some time now but bought in canada :(
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
6924 posts
1174 upvotes
BC
Doesn't apply to Canadians.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13127 posts
1666 upvotes
There should be enough Canadians who would be more than happy to petition for a class action suite. I know at least ten people who had a problem with those gpu chipsets.
Jan 21, 2007
27 posts
1 upvote
I received an extra year of warranty on my Dell M1330 (3+1). It worked out I guess... I had to return my laptop 4 X for motherboard replacements (Nvidia Chip issues).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18545 posts
1841 upvotes
Kwirky wrote:
Oct 1st, 2010 10:45 am
Doesn't apply to Canadians.
Well that sucks. An even smaller percentage of notebooks with the defective GPUs will get replaced. :(
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2008
4374 posts
389 upvotes
this sucks because they finally decided to acknowledge the Tx1xxx tablets, only to restrict it to Americans. They are also offering replacements of equal or similar value :mad:
Oct 15, 2010
1 posts
Ottawa
I have an HP dv9420us with the same defective NVIDIA chip. It has a dual-core AMD processor running at 2 x 1.99GHZ with 2GB of ram and I have it running Windows 7 x64.

It still works, but it always runs hot and loud and SpeedFan reports temperature around 70 deg. usually, and there's a black screen for about 20 seconds after logging in if Aero effects are enabled.

I've contacted HP before the settlement was around and I mentionned the large number of users complaining about the same chip and they didn't say anything, they just suggested to use HP's drivers and/or try going back to Windows Vista, which was loaded on the laptop when I got it. I don't feel it's reasonable for me to be stuck with Vista, though, so I haven't even tried it. I think it's the GPU, anyways.

I e-mailed HP support today and mentionned the settlement in the States and all they said was that they weren't aware of the settlement. They said the blank screen may be due to built-up static electricity and that the fan may run hot and loud due to accumulated dust. However, the black screen doesn't happen with Aero effects turned off and I use compressed air to clean the fan fairly regularily. It's really frustrating that they won't accept the fact that there's an issue with the chip.

So... count me in for a Canadian class-action lawsuit against NVIDIA if there is one.
Oct 19, 2009
636 posts
44 upvotes
ClassPro wrote:
Oct 29th, 2010 1:27 pm
Here you go: www.classproceedings.ca

These lawyers are bringing the NVIDIA class action in Canada.

Sounds great, I was considering shipping out my broken one with the US link and using an American address. However where is the info on the link you provided. It seems to only show their current lawsuit, I can't find anything on planned lawsuits.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2008
4374 posts
389 upvotes
hardness wrote:
Oct 29th, 2010 4:23 pm
Sounds great, I was considering shipping out my broken one with the US link and using an American address. However where is the info on the link you provided. It seems to only show their current lawsuit, I can't find anything on planned lawsuits.

i cant find anything on the canadian nvidia lawsuit either. I think you might have to call in for more info.
Oct 31, 2010
3 posts
2 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
I've just sent that law firm an email to get more information and if I don't hear back in the near future, I'm going to follow up with a phone call.

I definitely have at least one and perhaps a second laptop that are affected by this. The one that I know was covered by the American suit is now bricked (it's reached the stage past the wireless and screen problems and has proceeded to the point it won't boot anymore), so I'm looking to find out what I should be doing about repairing/replacing it if they're seriously pursuing a class action.

I can post back as soon as I get a response to my email, or when I call them later in the week if I don't hear back, and let you guys know what information I got.
Oct 31, 2010
3 posts
2 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Took some time to get answers from them (their receptionist seemed surprised that no one was responding to my emails), but I've talked to the paralegal assisting with the case. Sounds like everything is still in the planning stages right now, but he took down my information about the affected laptop and what I had been through dealing with HP so far. He says he's going to talk to the lawyer in charge and get back to me with more information next week.

So it's not a whole lot to report on right now, but they are definitely pursuing the case, and again, I'll get back to you guys when I hear back with more info!