• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2020 5:40 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2397 posts
575 upvotes
PM - VK3Q69

[Merged] The Official BlackVue DR400G-HD Owners Thread

READ FIRST, ASK LATER. YOUR ANSWER MIGHT BE BELOW.

Blackvue Official Website
Blackvue Singapore Website

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e49KuBR5 ... r_embedded
Here we will discuss anything related to the dash cam, tips/tricks/wiring/installation etc.

Current/Future GroupBuys. Status: CLOSED

For those who missed out, there WILL be another oppertunity to get this device. Approx. date of the next group buy is April 16th. In the mean time, DO NOT...i repeat PLEASE DO NOT PM Pintobean regarding groupbuy # 2 until it is active. I will update the thread once the new GB is active.
pintobean wrote: If you bought in GB #1, I will let you buy an extra mount/cable combo in GB #2, even if you're not getting another cam. HOWEVER, I'm going to reserve the right to limit the number of mount/cable combos that I sell, because every additional carton on the delivery significantly increases the shipping fees. I dont want to order a carton full of mount/cable combos, because then the $25 charge will not be sufficient to cover the additional shipping fees.
Warranty:
There is a 1 year manufacture's warranty on the camera. There is a 6 month manufacture's warranty on accessories i.e. battery and MicroSD card.

If you purchased your unit via pintobean's group buy # 1 then please contact pintobean. Valid until 02/29/2013
If you purchased your unit via Hellfire's group buy then please contact Hellfire. Order placed Feb/28/12Valid until 02/29/2013

It is encouraged to provide feedback to each respective "seller" for their hardwork to provide us with these great deals.
Feedback for Pintobean and Hellfire

Please note that you are responsible for any shipping fees during the warranty process.

User Manual
Full english user manual can be found here.

Hard Wiring
Rengoku wrote: I finally got around to hardwiring my Blackvue camera. I figured I'd take some photos along the way to show the process.

Do-It-Yourself Tutorial: How to Hardwire your BlackVue DR400G-HD Camera

There are a couple methods out there to hardwire your camera. Below are three popular methods, but this tutorial will only cover the last method:

- Hardwire directly to the car battery (This involves abit more work as you would have to feed the wire from within the passenger compartment through the firewall hole and into the engine bay.)
- Tap into your Dome light or cigarette lighter wires (This is the quickest method, but it does involve cutting into your existing wires. For those going this route, you can use a T-tap connector if you don't want to solder)
- Tap into your Fusebox. (Least intrusive) Read more...

Hardwire Groupbuys: Both are $25
LockDown Security - Mississauga and Markham
Auto-Links - Located in Scarborough. Have multiple cameras? Save $5 per unit. $10 for PM installation.

Power Magic Manual Install
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/9378/capture5r.jpg
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/9122/capture6df.jpg
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/535/capture8w.jpg
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7825/capture9rn.jpg

Firmware
Versions
1.037E
1.038E
1.039E
1.040E - This version should fix the 1hr delay some users are experiencing in 1.039E. Beta testers needed and results should be posted.

Updating
I will try to keep this updated but if i fail too, you can find themhere.

How to update.
1. Insert the micro SD card into your PC
2. Go to the second link in this section.
3. Double click the firmware upgrade file. Follow the onscreen instructions
4. Insert the microSD card with the newly downloaded firmware into your BlackVue. Please make sure it is turned off.
5. Turn on the Blackvue. The firmware will automatically update. Please ensure there is a constant power supply during the upgrade

Installing BlackVue Software (Windows)
1. Insert the micro SD card into your PC
2. Go to My Computer\Removeable Disk (? :) \BlackVue\Software
3. Run the setup and follow the prompts
4. If the program doesnt run, change the program properties to run as Winodows XP SP3

Downgrading
This method has been confirmed, please follow the instructions accordingly.

Recording Capacity

Maintaining your microSD card.
NOTE: It is not recommended to remove the SD card while the LED lights are turned on.

Please refer to the following recommendations.

1. Re-inserting the SD card into the camera.
Remove the SD card 10 sec. after turning off your engine.
After insert the SD card to the main body, engine on.
In case you installed a battery discharge prevention device to your car, please take off the power jack from the main body.

2. Formatting the SD card.
Try to format the SD card weekly.

3. Other

Please use the SD card provided with the Blackvue device.
If the unit becomes defective from a unknown SD card i.e. not the one provided then no support can be offered.

Video Sharing

The Blackvue comes with Novus Blackvue, a video software. I believe you are able to edit your videos so that you can post them on YouTube.
Did you have a close call experience or saw something crazy? Share your video here.

You can use Windows Movie Maker to edit/crop clips so that you can post them on YouTube. If anyone has any other *free* programs that they use then please either PM me or submit a post so that I can update this for other users.
1839 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2397 posts
575 upvotes
PM - VK3Q69
tips&tricks

Resetting PLOD (purple light of death)
pintobean wrote: When the cam hangs on the purple light, push the end button and hold it down for 10 seconds. According to my contact at Pittasoft, that should reset the cam.
quanta wrote: attaching to the car
for those who want to be able to pop the mount on and off, here's a tip: If you are a hwy 407 etr subscriber, order some spare velcro strips. They're free for subscribers!

theft of camera?
the beauty of the blackvue is that it doesn't look like a camera or a gps. You can disguise it with racing tape or hang ornaments off it. Make people think it's a weird air freshener. Be creative.
Have Korean language firmware and need it to be English?
subagear wrote: I got my Korean unit updated to English. Just do the following:

1. Uninstall exsisting Blackvue software on your PC.
2. Reformat SD, download http://eng.pittasoft.com/bbs/board.php? ... download01]firmware v1.037E (English)[/url]. Even if you have the Korean v1.038, you can roll back with this.
3. Run update on camera
4. Reformat SD, download firmware v1.038E (English) .
5. Run update again and you're done!
atLANtic wrote: For those who have got the korean fw unit with v.1.038.

What you need to do:
go to Config file on microSD, open Version file with notepad and change the korean to english,
it should look like this

firmware]
version = 1.038
model = 400
language = English
[software]
version = 1.038
model = 400
language = English
[config]
version = 1.000
model = 400

save the file, and you good to go. Now unit speaks english

dissassembly
Note: Do this at your own risk, warranty maybe voided and service can be denied.
Thanks to kay188 for being curious, you can find pictures here. There are no step by step instructions but you can get an idea of how to do it with the pictures.

Third Party Software

Registrator Viewer

Thanks to vadimus for this introducing this software. It is an alternative to the Blackvue software but with more features:

Key Features
* Group Files - View block trip, as single video.
* Automatically search for files.
* The increase in video and Single-scrolling.
* Multi-use Google Maps.
* Cutting and pasting fragments of video without recompression.

Full features can be found here.

Download can be found here.

Blackvue Official Android App

Search BlackVue in GooglePlay or download from your PC here. Works on any Android device that has MicroSD access, those with Samsung devices are SOL. This app is useful for viewing your video on demand on your device. i.e. You just got into a car accident and want to show the police the footage.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 7, 2007
5145 posts
21531 upvotes
Toronto
[IMG]http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/8868/dr400banner.jpg[/IMG]

DR400G-HD will provide the best images in full high definition packed in the compact and sleek cylindrical body. With other great features such as the patented motion detection, 3 axis G sensors and GPS built-in, DR400G-HD will bring you the new experience of a high end vehicle black box.

[QUOTE]Whats in the box?
[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/4372/b ... thebox.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE]Parking Mode Recording with Motion Detection
In parking mode, recording will be triggered only in case of a detected motion or impact to save the storage space.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1908 ... arking.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE]Voice Guide and LED Indication
The front LED indicators change the color to indicate the recording status and GPS reception status.
Voice Guide informs you of the settings and status of BlackVue in real time.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4039/b ... ullled.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE]Vehicle & Traffic Information
The built-in high-sensitive GPS records the vehicle speed and status information, which can be synchronized with Google Map to display the driving path. The driving path-based video search software, MyWay Viewer provides the index system that you can use to trace back the location of the accident.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3629 ... google.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE]Video Playback Using Multiple External Devices
You can record the video in the common MP4/AVI formats and play it in multiple players.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1571/30619985.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE]BlackVue installation Images[/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/2086 ... nstall.jpg[/IMG]

User Manual.
Download
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1001 posts
373 upvotes
Calgary
Quick question : is this camera the best thing you can get on the market right now? Does it have any flaws or weak points?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
Bulwark wrote: thanks for starting this.

Anyone know if it would possible to get something like this, but only 2 or 3 batteries: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/10AA-Battery-Hol ... 35b9caa2cf, and use some eneloops to power it while the car isn't running?

You need 12v to run the unit. Make your own, fit it with a power lead that will plug into the unit, and plug it in.
M-e-X-x wrote: Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21213 posts
6983 upvotes
GTA
claudiu_corbea wrote: Quick question : is this camera the best thing you can get on the market right now? Does it have any flaws or weak points?

From what I've read:

Pros:
Slim
1080p video
GPS
Good build quality
Warrantied

Cons:
Pricey
Viewing angles only 140 degrees
Small internal battery
Below average mic quality

As of now, it's a very good option. There are better ones (professional grade specs/quality) but cost more.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
coriolis wrote: Cons:
Viewing angles only 140 degrees

As of now, it's a very good option. There are better ones (professional grade specs/quality) but cost more.
A lot of other cameras do 120 degrees more or less. So 140 degrees is pretty good. I would like 160/170 degrees, but the far edges would be really stretched and distorted.

What other cameras are you talking about that are more professional and cost more? So far this one is pretty up there costing $250+ retail.
azncapcom wrote: how much for that specific one? =D

Forget the dash cams... How much for her?!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2006
1120 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
kay188 wrote: Forget the dash cams... How much for her?!

she is taken... she has a ring =(
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
kennyluo wrote: she is taken... she has a ring =(

It doesn't mean anything. ;)
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes

Only a minor inconvenience. The ring looks like it's so loose that it will come off if she keeps her finger straight.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2008
2388 posts
5610 upvotes

she no available, i no buy
kay188 wrote: That's her right hand!

For Chinese (probably most Asian), it's the other way around I think.
Jan 9, 2011
179 posts
35 upvotes
Not only will this cam protect you from getting ragued, but could help you get laid as well.
what other camera can do that?

Nov 17, 2006
206 posts
227 upvotes
claudiu_corbea wrote: Quick question : is this camera the best thing you can get on the market right now? Does it have any flaws or weak points?

I am looking into the FineVu CR-300HD, has similar features to the BlackVue (1080p, parking mode, GPS, shock/event recording, etc.) but in my opinion the picture is sharper from some of the videos I have seen.
It also appears to have a small built in battery which should last about 10mins or so, this would let you remove/unplug the camera while still recording to take it out of the car to video damage/etc.
It also has a threaded mount for a lens filter (to install CPL filter for camera to reduce glare) which is really nice.

Have found it on KR sites for 295,000 KRW which s about $260 CAD, on eBay its about $330 - still hunting for a better deal though! :)
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2008
2388 posts
5610 upvotes
It's cool that it's got a parking sensor but what is it good for if someone breaks in and steal the dash cam?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
6236 posts
1772 upvotes
that just means you need to buy a bigger ring to replace that one.
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: Only a minor inconvenience. The ring looks like it's so loose that it will come off if she keeps her finger straight.

thats not the only thing thats loose.