[Merged] The Official BlackVue DR400G-HD Owners Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2020 5:40 pm
Oct 31, 2008
241 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver
quanta wrote: Battery Life
I think someone worked it out, estimating it can operate up to a week without completely draining a car battery. YMMV, depending on how many incidents it records and how much the Reserve Capacity is of your battery.

Hardwiring

The camera can be hardwired into the fusebox. If you are handy with electrical stuff, it should be pretty easy. You can source some cable with bare leads or cut up the included cigarette lighter cable. If you want to be fancy, you can hook up any 12V DC source.

Attaching to the Car

For those who want to be able to pop the mount on and off, here's a tip: if you are a Hwy 407 ETR subscriber, order some spare velcro strips. They're free for subscribers!

Theft of camera?

The beauty of the Blackvue is that it doesn't look like a camera or a GPS. You can disguise it with racing tape or hang ornaments off it. Make people think it's a weird air freshener. Be creative.

Yeah, I caved and bought the Magic Pro, one end goes into the fuse box (3 wires: 1 positive and 1 negative that you can hook up to say the interior lighting, and 1 ground) and the other end is just a cigerette power socket. I did some research and since the camera only draws 3W MAX it can last almost a week and a half (depending on how new your battery is) and it shouldn't be an issue if you drive every day.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
4669 posts
752 upvotes
Scarborough
chimaican wrote: For those who want to stick and remove easily

Home Depot: Velcro Tape $3.95

[IMG]http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDe ... 0078_4.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDe ... 0079_4.jpg[/IMG]
kennyluo wrote: cool thanks, can tires carries them too... I guess i dont have to bug my 407 friends for velcro anymore ;)

Doesn't dollarama, etc have Velcro?
(it's been quite awhile since I've last been in there)
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19202 posts
17816 upvotes
GTA, ON
pnyknights wrote: Doesn't dollarama, etc have Velcro?
(it's been quite awhile since I've last been in there)

they do, but I can assure you the sticky tape backing sucks... I tried it with other stuff.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5977 posts
1468 upvotes
???
^ that's what they ship you. Order now and you should get it before the camera comes.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6706 posts
2352 upvotes
I was concerned about the double sided tape being unforgiving as far as repositioning goes as well and that seems to be the case. If you use velcro or the 3M dual lock stuff, will that cause the camera to shake/vibrate during driving since it's not a tight connection like the tape? (there's some wobble room with velcro even when secured)
Oct 26, 2003
148 posts
34 upvotes
Mississauga
chimaican wrote: For those who want to stick and remove easily

Home Depot: Velcro Tape $3.95

[IMG]http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDe ... 0078_4.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDe ... 0079_4.jpg[/IMG]
I wouldn't use this, I tried this when I bought a new car to transfer the transponder over. The glue fell off on the first humid day, I would call the 407 up and have them send a new set.
Jul 9, 2004
609 posts
51 upvotes
Scarborough
For those worried about the 3M double sided tape being difficult to get off - it's as easy and working some floss underneath it on a hot day. Any left over residue can be removed with Goo-Gone. If you've ever debadged your car, it's the same procedure pretty much.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the camera does once the memory card is full. Does it write over old video with new video? Or does it simply stop recording?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6706 posts
2352 upvotes
From what I've read, it automatically loops back and over writes old materiel unless you record protect it.
Mar 12, 2005
182 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone tried the 407 3M velcro on the Blackvue?
Looking to go with this option for ease of moving the Blackvue to another vehicle.

I am concern it might not be stiff enough and the videos playback might be shaky. I do drive a sports car with stiff suspension.

Another question about the parking mode.
In order to use the parking mode, the Blackvue will either have to hardwired to the car's battery or have the Power Magic installed to provide a constant power supply when the car key is removed?
If this is true, then if I just use the 12V socket that comes with the blackvue, then I won't be able to make use of the parking mode?

Thanks.
Oct 31, 2002
693 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
m0cha wrote: I was wondering if anyone knows what the camera does once the memory card is full. Does it write over old video with new video? Or does it simply stop recording?
You can allocate a percentage of space for each type of video recording (normal/event/parking) and it will erase the oldest video from the category it is trying to save when it needs more room. Or you can have it treat all types the same and just remove the oldest video. It appears that there is no overwrite protection to keep a video indefinitely.
StraySheep wrote: Another question about the parking mode.
In order to use the parking mode, the Blackvue will either have to hardwired to the car's battery or have the Power Magic installed to provide a constant power supply when the car key is removed?
If this is true, then if I just use the 12V socket that comes with the blackvue, then I won't be able to make use of the parking mode?
Yes, that is correct.

EDIT: Unless your 12V socket is always on.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21213 posts
6983 upvotes
GTA
The only thing I worry about Velcro is that it is not 100% rigid, so the camera may experience shakiness. Anyone know?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6706 posts
2352 upvotes
Ya, that's my concern too. I can see the typical black furry velcro doing that but the 3M white locking stuff might be better?
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1638 posts
517 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
If you leave the dashcam unattended on your dash all the time, you can camouflage it with a bottomless kleenex box with a pinhole for continuous surveillance. :idea:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
StraySheep wrote: Another question about the parking mode.

Thanks.
gimmegimme wrote: Yes, that is correct.

Correct that you need a constant power source to use parking mode, not entirely correct that you're not able to use the parking mode with the 12v socket.

Some cars have an ALWAYS ON cig lighter socket. If your car has this then you can just use that for a removable hardwire solution.
My friend's 2001 BMW 325i has an always on socket. Same with another friend's 09 Lancer.
M-e-X-x wrote: Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Oct 31, 2002
693 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
Good point. I edited my original post to reflect that.
Mar 12, 2005
182 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Some technical questions.

1. What happens when you put in a brand new formated blank SD card into the DR400G-HD?
2. Does it automatically copy the previous settings from the original SD card onto the new SD card and starts recording?
3. What class of SD card is recommended?

I am thinking of keeping a spare SD card in my car. If an accident does come up or after a track event, I will put in the spare SD card to ensure the event data is not lost or overwritten on the original SD card until I back it up.

4. Any user feedback on the 407 transponder 3M plastic velcro on the DR400G-HD?

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
1884 posts
709 upvotes
Toronto
StraySheep wrote: Some technical questions.

1. What happens when you put in a brand new formated blank SD card into the DR400G-HD?
2. Does it automatically copy the previous settings from the original SD card onto the new SD card and starts recording?
3. What class of SD card is recommended?

I am thinking of keeping a spare SD card in my car. If an accident does come up or after a track event, I will put in the spare SD card to ensure the event data is not lost or overwritten on the original SD card until I back it up.

4. Any user feedback on the 407 transponder 3M plastic velcro on the DR400G-HD?

Thanks.
  1. I think the camera has its own built-in memory for settings.
  2. See #1.
  3. The camera comes bundled with a Class 4, so go with that.
  4. Considering how rigid the 3M velcro keeps the 407 transponder, it should work in a pinch with this camera. Admittedly, the camera is heavier.
How I try to save money: Koodo Mobile $29 30GB LTE / Teksavvy rCable $68 150 / Freephoneline $0 / No TV! / Flipp
How I try to make money: Amex Cobalt / GCR / Rakuten / TopCashback / Wealthsimple Mastercard / EQ Bank Mastercard
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13912 posts
5398 upvotes
Does anybody actually own the unit to give a review ?
The sweetest gyal
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11520 posts
5337 upvotes
Moving target
Question: If I hardwire it so that there is a constant power source when the car is off. Would it be easy to install a switch or something to totally disable to draw? Would removing the power cord from the unit achieve this?

Sometimes I leave my car at the airport for 2 weeks while travelling. Would be nice to be able to start my car on return.

Trying to avoid the PMP since I drive daily when not travelling.
Autocorrect sucks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)