[Merged] The Official BlackVue DR400G-HD Owners Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2020 5:40 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4500 posts
2538 upvotes
Thornhill
chimaican wrote: Need a new firmware update or this cam's stamp is useless and in fact won't be any good as evidence if ever in an accident.
In an accident, the recording of what's actually happened is more important; the time stamp is secondary.
Mar 21, 2011
541 posts
79 upvotes
Ottawa
nosnoop wrote: In an accident, the recording of what's actually happened is more important; the time stamp is secondary.

Wrong time can be used by other party for declining this evidence.
After all we are living in the center of the Universe.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2009
1128 posts
8 upvotes
vadimus wrote: Wrong time can be used by other party for declining this evidence.
in case of accident speak the date and time in to the microphone
i know it sounds gay but it will do
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6706 posts
2352 upvotes
Ok, just went to Canadian Tire to pick up a battery brush and the time read 12:18pm on the recording.

Came out to drive back to the office about 5-10 minutes later and the camera read 1:18pm on the recording. Running v1.039.
Apr 10, 2012
1 posts
6 upvotes
WOODBRIDGE
Sorry, English isn't my mother language, so below just for reference.

Upgrade:

1. Connect MicroSD card to PC,then format it quickly.
2. Choose the english firmware which you want upgrade,double click install to MicroSD card.(During if you want install the english play video software to PC, just do it or no, up to you)
3. After finished install new firmware to MicroSD card, DON NOT take out the SD card from PC, go to MicroSD card, open "\BlackVue\Config" folder, open the "Version" file with Notepad. Change 2 line "language = English" to "language = Korea",then saved the file. It show like below:

[firmware]
version = 1.038
model = 400
language = English -----------------> Korea
[software]
version = 1.038
model = 400
[config]
version = 1.000
model = 400

4. Now move MicroSD card out of PC, insert into BlackVue and power on, first you will hear english, after upgrade done, it restart again,the blackvue start to record video, but you will hear korean again, don't worry, shut down the power, move out the MicroSD, connect ot PC,open MicroSD card "\BlackVue\Config" folder,open the "Version" file with Notepad. Change 2 line "language = Korea" to "language = English",then saved the file. It show like below:

[firmware]
version = 1.038
model = 400
language = Korea -----------------> language = English
[software]
version = 1.038
model = 400
[config]
version = 1.000
model = 400

5. If you want to set up the option of blackvue, you can use MicroSD card "\BlackVue\Application\BlackVue.exe" software or the software in PC to do it and save.
6. Finally move out the MicroSD card out of PC, insert into BlackVue and power on, from now you will hear English again.

(Sorry, the previous I posted is wrong, I think I downgrade from 1.039e to 1.037e first, then upgrade to 1.038e), now the below is correct.

Downgrade: (For example: downgrade from v1.039e to v1.037e)

2. Choose the english firmware v1.037e,double click install to MicroSD card.(During if you want install the english play video software to PC, just do it or no, up to you)
3. After finished install new firmware to MicroSD card, DON NOT take out the SD card from PC, go to MicroSD card, open "\BlackVue\Config" folder, open the "Version" file with Notepad. Change 2 line "language = English" to "language = Korea", AND CHANGE [firmware] "version = 1.037" to "version = 1.039", then saved the file. It show like below:

[firmware]
version = 1.037 -----------------> version = 1.039
model = 400
[software]
version = 1.038
model = 400
[config]
version = 1.000
model = 400

4. Now move MicroSD card out of PC, insert into BlackVue and power on, first you will hear english, after upgrade done, it restart again,the blackvue start to record video, but you will hear korean again, don't worry, shut down the power, move out the MicroSD, connect ot PC,open MicroSD card "\BlackVue\Config" folder,open the "Version" file with Notepad. And you will find [firmware] "version = 1.038" it changed back by itself, just change 2 line "language = Korea" to "language = English",then saved the file. It show like below:

[firmware]
version = 1.037
model = 400
[software]
version = 1.038
model = 400
[config]
version = 1.000
model = 400

5. If you want to set up the option of blackvue, you can use MicroSD card "\BlackVue\Application\BlackVue.exe" software or the software in PC to do it and save.
6. Finally move out the MicroSD card out of PC, insert into BlackVue and power on, from now you will hear English again.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW: I did:
1.First upgrade from v1.038k to v1.038e, it working well.
2.Then upgrade from v1.038e to v1.039e, it working, but had time stamp problem.
3.So downgrade from v1.039e to v1.037e, it working well.
4.Then try upgrade from v1.037e to v1.039e, same thing, it working, but has time stamp problem.
5.So again downgrade from v1.039e to v1.037e, then upgrade to v1.038e now it working well, no time stamp problem.
6.Finally now (Apr 11, 2012) my blackvue work with v1.038e well, waiting new firmware release.
Apr 10, 2012
10 posts
1 upvote
CHARLESBOURG
Hi guys,

could someone tell me where to get previous firmware versions?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5977 posts
1468 upvotes
???
boygirlca wrote: Sorry, English isn't my mother language, so below just for reference.

Upgrade:

2. Choose the english firmware which you want upgrade,double click install to MicroSD card.(During if you want install
the english play video software to PC, just do it or no, up to you)
3. After finished install new firmware to MicroSD card, DON NOT take out the SD card from PC, go to MicroSD card, open "\BlackVue\Config" folder, open the "Version" file with Notepad. Change 2 line "language = English" to "language =
Korea",then saved the file. It show like below:

[firmware]
version = 1.038
model = 400
[software]
version = 1.038
model = 400
[config]
version = 1.000
model = 400

4. Now move MicroSD card out of PC, insert into BlackVue and power on, first you will hear english, after upgrade done,
it restart again,the blackvue start to record video, but you will hear korean again, don't worry, shut down the power,
move out the MicroSD, connect ot PC,open MicroSD card "\BlackVue\Config" folder,open the "Version" file with Notepad. Change 2 line "language = Korea" to "language = English",then saved the file. It show like below:

[firmware]
version = 1.038
model = 400
[software]
version = 1.038
model = 400
[config]
version = 1.000
model = 400

Downgrade: (For example: downgrade from v1.039 to v1.038)

2. Choose the english firmware v1.038e,double click install to MicroSD card.(During if you want install the english play
video software to PC, just do it or no, up to you)
3. After finished install new firmware to MicroSD card, DON NOT take out the SD card from PC, go to MicroSD card, open "\BlackVue\Config" folder, open the "Version" file with Notepad. Change 2 line "language = English" to "language =
Korea", AND CHANGE [firmware] "version = 1.038" to "version = 1.039", then saved the file. It show like below:

[firmware]
version = 1.038 -----------------> version = 1.039
model = 400
[software]
version = 1.038
model = 400
[config]
version = 1.000
model = 400

4. Now move MicroSD card out of PC, insert into BlackVue and power on, first you will hear english, after upgrade done,
it restart again,the blackvue start to record video, but you will hear korean again, don't worry, shut down the power,
move out the MicroSD, connect ot PC,open MicroSD card "\BlackVue\Config" folder,open the "Version" file with Notepad. And you will find [firmware] "version = 1.038" it changed back by itself, just change 2 line "language = Korea" to "language = English",then saved the file. It show like below:

[firmware]
version = 1.038
model = 400
[software]
version = 1.038
model = 400
[config]
version = 1.000
model = 400

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW: I did:
1.First upgrade from v1.038k to v1.038e, it working well.
2.Then upgrade from v1.038e to v1.039e, it working, but had time stamp problem.
3.So downgrade from v1.039e to v1.037e, it working well.
4.Then try upgrade from v1.037e to v1.039e, same thing, it working, but has time stamp problem.
5.So again downgrade from v1.039e to v1.038e, now it working well, no time stamp problem.
6.Finally now (Apr 11, 2012) my blackvue work with v1.038e well, waiting new firmware release.

Thanks for the informative guide, however where do you get the older firmware versions?
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19202 posts
17816 upvotes
GTA, ON
Thanks, I will try this and switch back to 1.038
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19202 posts
17816 upvotes
GTA, ON
vaportech wrote: Getting version info is different error

Me too
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19202 posts
17816 upvotes
GTA, ON
SUCCESS

I was able to downgrade to v1.037e with the method above and then upgrade to v1.038e thereafter. I think you can't downgrade to 1.038e from 1.039e because v1.038e is labelled as a patch rather than a full firmware.

The time stamp works now after turning the unit off and on, but I seemed to have lost the GPS/speedometer :mad:
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Mar 21, 2011
541 posts
79 upvotes
Ottawa
chimaican wrote: I seemed to have lost the GPS/speedometer :mad:
What do you mean? In-video indication or GPS recording at all?

Does the software show speed while playback?
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19202 posts
17816 upvotes
GTA, ON
vadimus wrote: What do you mean? In-video indication or GPS recording at all?

Does the software show speed while playback?

No GPS speedometer stamping, no speedometer readings, no GPS mapping.

I park my car in a parking garage while at work so I don't know if this is the issue, but it was never an issue before. I've had intermittent GPS in the past though, so I'll see what happens later.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Mar 21, 2011
541 posts
79 upvotes
Ottawa
chimaican wrote: No GPS speedometer stamping, no speedometer readings, no GPS mapping.

I park my car in a parking garage while at work so I don't know if this is the issue, but it was never an issue before. I've had intermittent GPS in the past though, so I'll see what happens later.
No clear sky generally means no GPS, especially after a cold start.
May 3, 2009
652 posts
704 upvotes
Got the "please check the sd card" message 2 days after upgraded to 1.39 fw. After few times of unplugging and plugging the power cord, the annoying message stopped but the time was one hour ahead like some of you guys experienced.

Doing the full formatting and hoping to be able to downgrade to the older version.
Aug 28, 2006
889 posts
160 upvotes
ToCardinal wrote: Got the "please check the sd card" message 2 days after upgraded to 1.39 fw. After few times of unplugging and plugging the power cord, the annoying message stopped but the time was one hour ahead like some of you guys experienced.

Doing the full formatting and hoping to be able to downgrade to the older version.
Full (Not Quick) Formatting worked for me.

I have 1.039e now and have the time-stamp issue. This is really the first 'issue' I've really had (besides one day having the pink lines during recording because I had the Parking sensitivity settings too high).

Seems like a pain to go back to 1.038e so I'm just going to wait for the 1.040e update, I'm sure it will be here in less than a week with all the issues people are having with 1.039e.
Deal Guru
Feb 14, 2006
10083 posts
1417 upvotes
Sorta having trouble seeing plate #'s in the video, in the manufacturer provided sample video you can see plates clearly, but the YT videos you guys are posting, I can barely make out the numbers.

Is it just youtube's compression, or can you really actually see them? Sorta deciding on whether to pick one up or not soon in the upcoming GB. Can anyone attest to its quality as well? Generally seems good from what I see so far.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2006
1120 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
vaportech wrote: Getting version info is different error

i was not able to directly downgrade to 1.038, so i had to downgrade to 1.037 then upgrade to 1.038.