[Merged] The Official BlackVue DR400G-HD Owners Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2016 12:21 am
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3517 posts
1309 upvotes
Toronto
The only change in firmware 1.040e was to correct the timestamp issue that some people were having with 1.039e. The manufacturer said the issue was caused because they neglected to take into consideration the fact that we observe Daylight Saving Time in Canada.

I know that some of you are scared to run this latest firmware and have said that you are going to stick with 1.038e, but I have to ask you to please reconsider. It makes no sense for me to have gone to the manufacturer and asked them to issue a fix and then not be able to provide them with feedback because not enough people try it out. If you want me to keep asking the manufacturer to make improvements to the cam's firmware, then I need you guys to help me out and provide feedback when new firmware versions are released.

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5831 posts
345 upvotes
Toronto
pintobean wrote:
Apr 18th, 2012 2:41 am
And in the more likley scenario that the audio proves I was wrong, I can just accidentally hit the delete button ;)
What audio? I don't know what you're talking about. :twisted:
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
May 23, 2011
684 posts
97 upvotes
pintobean wrote:
Apr 18th, 2012 3:08 am
The only change in firmware 1.040e was to correct the timestamp issue that some people were having with 1.039e. The manufacturer said the issue was caused because they neglected to take into consideration the fact that we observe Daylight Saving Time in Canada.

I know that some of you are scared to run this latest firmware and have said that you are going to stick with 1.038e, but I have to ask you to please reconsider. It makes no sense for me to have gone to the manufacturer and asked them to issue a fix and then not be able to provide them with feedback because not enough people try it out. If you want me to keep asking the manufacturer to make improvements to the cam's firmware, then I need you guys to help me out and provide feedback when new firmware versions are released.

Thanks!

Already got it loaded on my card, I'll flash it tomorrow morning.

My clock was off by exactly one hour in some videos from today, so I'll report back with my results.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2008
4218 posts
575 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Thx Pinto. Since I have two cams, gonna load v1.040e into one of them & leave the other at v1.038e for the time being. It's too much of a hassle if I have to downgrade both of them again.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
6774 posts
263 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone post a mirror of the firmware that doesn't require login?

Thanks for the efforts on the new FW. Ill test it out and report back.

Not sure I believe the DST theory. Why does this only happen during quick power down / power ups?

Hopefully this resolves it.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Mar 21, 2011
532 posts
77 upvotes
GangStarr wrote:
Apr 18th, 2012 10:59 am
Can anyone post a mirror of the firmware that doesn't require login?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64196033/DR400G ... _Setup.exe
GangStarr wrote:
Apr 18th, 2012 10:59 am
Not sure I believe the DST theory.
Neither do I. But time will tell.
I have a display connected to my BV, so I'm keeping an eye on the time issue.
After all we are living in the center of the Universe.
Mar 21, 2011
532 posts
77 upvotes
Made a quick ride today with freshly installed 1.40.

It seems that they did some tweaking to contrast management. Looks a bit better (could be a self-persuading though :) )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MYhODCFYaU
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2003
1213 posts
170 upvotes
Aurora, ON
I just upgraded from 1.39 to 1.40. All went smoothly so far.

Upgrade process that worked for me on a first try (I have a grey-import cam):

1. backup miniSD contents (except what's in \BlackVue\Record folder) to a folder on my comp (optional step)
2. download v.1.40
3. format miniSD in QuickFormat mode using the official formatting app
4. run v.1.40 setup on my comp (with miniSD in reader)
5. change language in \BlackVue\Config\version.bin on miniSD from English to Korean
6. insert miniSD into dash cam, power up, wait for the upgrade to be completed. (On dash cam restart greeting will be in Korean)
7. change language in \BlackVue\Config\version.bin on miniSD from Korean to English
8. insert miniSD into dash cam, power up. Greeting will be in English. No error message: "The version information is different".

btw, thankfully I never yet had a problem with the memory card getting corrupted by the dash cam. Neither I had a problem with reported time while running v.1.39. My dash cam is hooked to the same power source that powers cabin lights. They turn on when I remotely open the car, and they have a delayed power off after the car is locked. One more important thing: my power source is fully independent from ignition, as in the lights don't flicker when I start the engine.

Not all cars are that way, so I think at least some of the SD card corruptions and other gremlins might be related to power source spikes when people start their engines. If your lights flicker when you start the car then it means problematic (for the dash cam) power source, which might force-reboot the dash cam when it's still in the middle of the first boot/initialization cycle. This might be the cause of file and configuration corruption.

When you hook up your dash cam, try to find a power source that doesn't loose (or "brown outs") power when engine starts.
Mar 21, 2011
532 posts
77 upvotes
LarryLat wrote:
Apr 18th, 2012 12:41 pm

1. backup miniSD contents to a folder on my comp (optional step)
2. download v.1.40
5. change language in \BlackVue\Config\version.bin on miniSD from English to Korean
6. insert miniSD into dash cam, power up, wait for the upgrade to be completed. (On dash cam restart greeting will be in Korean)
7. change language in \BlackVue\Config\version.bin on miniSD from Korean to English
8. insert miniSD into dash cam, power up. Greeting will be in English. No error message: "The version information is different".
You can easily skip steps 5-7.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2009
1111 posts
7 upvotes
guys with Korean firmware
i heard there was a guy on Audi forums that sent email to Pitasoft
and he was given proper English firmware fix
some one try this
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2003
1213 posts
170 upvotes
Aurora, ON
vadimus wrote:
Apr 18th, 2012 12:45 pm
You can easily skip steps 5-7.

I tried that with two previous version with no luck. Had to do the hoop-jumping with Korean/English versions for the cam to accept the upgrades. So this time, I just did the extra work without first trying to check whether they removed their "official-vendor protection" check.
Aug 28, 2006
889 posts
161 upvotes
LarryLat wrote:
Apr 18th, 2012 12:41 pm

1. backup miniSD contents (except what's in \BlackVue\Record folder) to a folder on my comp (optional step)
2. download v.1.40

btw, thankfully I never yet had a problem with the memory card getting corrupted by the dash cam. Neither I had a problem with reported time while running v.1.39. My dash cam is hooked to the same power source that powers cabin lights. They turn on when I remotely open the car, and they have a delayed power off after the car is locked. One more important thing: my power source is fully independent from ignition, as in the lights don't flicker when I start the engine.

Not all cars are that way, so I think at least some of the SD card corruptions and other gremlins might be related to power source spikes when people start their engines. If your lights flicker when you start the car then it means problematic (for the dash cam) power source, which might force-reboot the dash cam when it's still in the middle of the first boot/initialization cycle. This might be the cause of file and configuration corruption.

When you hook up your dash cam, try to find a power source that doesn't loose (or "brown outs") power when engine starts.
What the heck is all of this?? Version 1.040e is already in English!
Aug 28, 2006
889 posts
161 upvotes
vadimus wrote:
Apr 18th, 2012 11:21 am
Made a quick ride today with freshly installed 1.40.

It seems that they did some tweaking to contrast management. Looks a bit better (could be a self-persuading though :) )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MYhODCFYaU

Contrast does look good there. I'm going to aim my cam down as far as possible to catch as little of the sky as possible since I think that's what messes with the light balance.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2003
1213 posts
170 upvotes
Aurora, ON
CONTROL ONE wrote:
Apr 18th, 2012 12:56 pm
What the heck is all of this?? Version 1.040e is already in English!

thankfully our society makes special arrangements for people with reading comprehension.
× < >