Automotive

[Merged] The Official BlackVue DR400G-HD Owners Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2020 5:40 pm
Apr 10, 2009
813 posts
263 upvotes
Has anyone with front tints tried to pull theirs off yet? How exactly do you take it off anyways? Dental floss?

I installed mine today and I don't plan to pull it off any time soon, but i'm curious about what would happen to the front tint if I do. (It's the really really really light dealer tint plus darker sunshade)

Also, I'm guessing that once you pull it off you have to reapply another sticky pad? Or can you re-use it?

And if anyone reading this wants sample clips in foggy weather with a bit of glare, see my post here:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/post-vid ... st14440377
Mar 21, 2011
541 posts
79 upvotes
Ottawa
Mistro wrote: Has anyone with front tints tried to pull theirs off yet? How exactly do you take it off anyways? Dental floss?

I installed mine today and I don't plan to pull it off any time soon, but i'm curious about what would happen to the front tint if I do. (It's the really really really light dealer tint plus darker sunshade)

Also, I'm guessing that once you pull it off you have to reapply another sticky pad? Or can you re-use it?

And if anyone reading this wants sample clips in foggy weather with a bit of glare, see my post here:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/post-vid ... st14440377

You cannot reuse sticky pad. When both included are already used, you can simply use any decent double side adhesive. 3M VHB is one of the best.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
vadimus wrote: You cannot reuse sticky pad. When both included are already used, you can simply use any decent double side adhesive. 3M VHB is one of the best.

You somewhat can, depending how you pull it off?

I heated mine with a hair dryer, and it came off the mount stuck to the windshield... it was still very sticky on the mount side.
However it was STUCK to the windshield if you let the adhesive set for a long while.

I peeled mine off the windshield, and it just deformed the sticky pad.
I used it again though by applying a lot of heat and squeezing the mount with the pad onto the windshield. Seems to be pretty stuck at the moment.
M-e-X-x wrote: Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Mar 21, 2011
541 posts
79 upvotes
Ottawa
kay188 wrote: You somewhat can, depending how you pull it off?

I heated mine with a hair dryer, and it came off the mount stuck to the windshield... it was still very sticky on the mount side.
However it was STUCK to the windshield if you let the adhesive set for a long while.

I peeled mine off the windshield, and it just deformed the sticky pad.
I used it again though by applying a lot of heat and squeezing the mount with the pad onto the windshield. Seems to be pretty stuck at the moment.

Anyway reused deformed pad won't give you the original strength.
I wouldn't let $200 device fall down neither during hot summer nor cold winter and be broken or stuck under the brake pedal for saving couple of bucks on the sticky pad.

As for heating mount with a hair dryer - risking to crack the windshield for saving on a pad - is something beyond my common sense will tolerate.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
vadimus wrote: Anyway reused deformed pad won't give you the original strength.
I wouldn't let $200 device fall down neither during hot summer nor cold winter and be broken or stuck under the brake pedal for saving couple of bucks on the sticky pad.

Oh ya, I know. I just don't want to use the actual pad itself because it's so strong. I tried to think of some other solution to mount it, but the only way was the pad...
I don't want velcro, as it allows vibrations since it's not attached to the car itself with strength.

I tried regular tape... didn't work. Duct tape is too ugly looking...

I want more of these pads made to size for the mount!!!
M-e-X-x wrote: Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1540 posts
405 upvotes
Check out the 3M Dual Lock, I'm looking to buy some for my cam :)
Mar 21, 2011
541 posts
79 upvotes
Ottawa
ToNIX wrote: Check out the 3M Dual Lock, I'm looking to buy some for my cam :)

Someone has posted the video of driving on Yonge south of Sheppard. No way, too shaky for DR400G's console mount.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1056 posts
170 upvotes
how are most of you hiding the cam's power cable? and are you mostly connecting it through the cigarette outlet, so you cant have the cam record while the car is off right?
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19202 posts
17816 upvotes
GTA, ON
ToNIX wrote: Check out the 3M Dual Lock, I'm looking to buy some for my cam :)
vadimus wrote: Someone has posted the video of driving on Yonge south of Sheppard. No way, too shaky for DR400G's console mount.

Just installed it this way in my wife's Civic. Going to let her drive around with it for a couple of days and then review the video. As of right now, my little 2-minute testing trip at 40kph in the residential neighbourhood looks promising. No shakes. Going to see how the tape holds up against the windshield and holder, as well as how the dual lock works out.

I will report back in a few days.

Vadimus... is it possible that car just has horrible shocks?
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Mar 21, 2011
541 posts
79 upvotes
Ottawa
chimaican wrote: Vadimus... is it possible that car just has horrible shocks?
Sure, that video author mentioned that his suspension is very stiff.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19202 posts
17816 upvotes
GTA, ON
Just reviewed my video with the Civic via dual lock tape. It's very smooth. NO issues.

I will report back about the dual lock tape in a few days regarding it's longevity.

Has anyone discovered the the brightness gets really dark in some cases. What setting are people using for the cam to adjust for the darkness (seems when cam is towards the sun)
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Mar 21, 2011
541 posts
79 upvotes
Ottawa
chimaican wrote: Just reviewed my video with the Civic via dual lock tape. It's very smooth. NO issues.

I will report back about the dual lock tape in a few days regarding it's longevity.

Dual lock is pretty durable. At least I have no issues with ETR407 transponder for at least 2 years.
chimaican wrote: Has anyone discovered the the brightness gets really dark in some cases. What setting are people using for the cam to adjust for the darkness (seems when cam is towards the sun)
I did. Just moved brightness slider one step to the right.
Mar 7, 2006
535 posts
327 upvotes
Mississauga
vadimus wrote: Wired directly to all time +12V found under the roof.
Hey vadimus, how did you end up splicing into the 12v wire? Was it really easy for your vehicle a matter of simply removing the carpeting?
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21213 posts
6983 upvotes
GTA
username333 wrote: can some one please explain this setting

[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/a ... tled-1.png[/IMG]

Probably allocates % to regular recording, emergency recording and parking recording. So lets say 30/50/20 for regular/emergency/parking, on a 16gb card, thats 8gb for emergencies. The memory card will keep filling the allocated 16gb with emergency tagged videos (according to the blackvue), and upon reaching 15.9gb, it'll start deleting the oldest emergency videos.

Does anyone notice that 1080p isn't that HD? Or just me D:
Mar 21, 2011
541 posts
79 upvotes
Ottawa
blue_lammer wrote: Hey vadimus, how did you end up splicing into the 12v wire? Was it really easy for your vehicle a matter of simply removing the carpeting?
I just removed the overhead light and ultrasonic security system sensor. Took me 15 minutes to install. Cut DR400's cable, inserted 2 wires in the sensor's connector from the back side.

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Lz-U ... AG0053.jpg[/IMG]

BTW most cars have all time power for sunvisor's mirror light.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)