[Merged] The Official BlackVue DR400G-HD Owners Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2020 5:40 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19202 posts
17814 upvotes
GTA, ON
Issues with the same SD card again. "Check SD card". Now I'm thinking the damn disc must be faulty.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
May 28, 2005
435 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote: Issues with the same SD card again. "Check SD card". Now I'm thinking the damn disc must be faulty.

Does this alert come up even if you disable your audio alerts in settings?
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19202 posts
17814 upvotes
GTA, ON
Rengoku wrote: Does this alert come up even if you disable your audio alerts in settings?

It makes no difference if you have alerts set to on or off. It's reporting that there's something wrong with the recording on the disc. When the message comes on, recording stops. The message just repeats itself until you turn off the unit. Only solution is to remove the card & reformat.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1638 posts
517 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
chimaican wrote: Just got the check SD card message again, 2nd time on this card (running v1.038e). Guess I'll upgrade this one to v1.040e I hope they corrected the issue with the new firmware
chimaican wrote: Issues with the same SD card again. "Check SD card". Now I'm thinking the damn disc must be faulty.

Is that the oem card?
Apr 12, 2011
744 posts
651 upvotes
Etobicoke
I've read this entire thread, don't think anyone has asked this (stupid question I guess):
If I wire the BlackVue to my car so that it is powered 24/7, the only way to turn the camera off is to pull the plug (at the side of the camera) correct?

I have the dashcam plugged in through the cig. lighter now, so when the car shuts off so does the camera: "BlackVue powering down". If I have to pull the plug, is this essentially the same as powering down by turning the car off? I guess what I'm getting at is.. is it ok to shut down by pulling the plug while the camera is still on and recording?
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2397 posts
575 upvotes
PM - VK3Q69
fishscale4sale wrote: I guess what I'm getting at is.. is it ok to shut down by pulling the plug while the camera is still on and recording?
i've been doing it since day one...bad neighborhood and no garage...haven't had a problem yet.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15496 posts
2735 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
josipm wrote: why are you selling it? anything bad about it?

+1.
Mar 21, 2011
541 posts
79 upvotes
Ottawa
josipm wrote: why are you selling it? anything bad about it?
It is not so good as a backup cam - the main use I was planing for it.
Why? No left/right mirroring (making my head go round), about 30 seconds delay for starting up, and last but not least - so-so visual performance at night.

Besides, having rear dashcam is fun, but not very useful. I guess good backup cam will be a better replacement.
After all we are living in the center of the Universe.
Apr 10, 2012
12 posts
4 upvotes

I have a theory, but could not confirm it. If you still haven't formatted that card, could you try this ?

Copy a video file to computer, rename it, and copy it back to the same location on the card. Clock how long it takes to write that 50mb file back to the sd card.

If it takes more than 40-50 seconds, the card is fragmented and it becomes too slow to write files.

I tested the oem Samsung class 6 card. It is ok for sequential write, but terriblely slow in 4k random write. Close to 0.06MB/s, which is far from enough to write required 7000bps bit rate video files.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15496 posts
2735 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
vadimus wrote: It is not so good as a backup cam - the main use I was planing for it.
Why? No left/right mirroring (making my head go round), about 30 seconds delay for starting up, and last but not least - so-so visual performance at night.

Besides, having rear dashcam is fun, but not very useful. I guess good backup cam will be a better replacement.

I c I c. I'm planning to get a rear mounted cam to double as a backup as well.
Mar 12, 2005
182 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Those that have check SD card problem, which overwrite setting did you set in your blackvue?
Overwrite old files base on time or Have a set % for Normal/Event/Parking recordings?

I have always used the default option, which is overwrite files based on time.
ie. oldest files get overwritten
So far, I never had any check SD card problems with original Samsung 16GB class 6 or my current Sandisk 32GB class 4. Both has never been reformatted, even when updating firmwire. BTW, I am using 1.040e, no problems so far. Well, I have never had any problem with my unit. Now just waiting for July/August to really test the unit under 65C inside the car.

I am guessing that if you use the other option of have a set % of storage for N/E/P recordings, the video files gets fragmented over time because the Blackvue has to find the "appropriate" location in the SD card to overwrite the old files. Then eventually lead to check SD card problems and have to reformat.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19202 posts
17814 upvotes
GTA, ON
I have two cams. One has done the check SD card once and the second has now asked 4 times. I would say the first cam gets more recordings since I drive more whereas the 2nd cam (wife's) gets less and yet has to be reformatted more.

Both cards are set to default, which is re-record based on time. Both have the original 16gb class 6 cards.

It's a nuisance and I have real no problem reformatting the card... I just have a problem if the card stops working while in drive and then there is an accident.

Again, I'm suspecting it could be a problem with the card itself, not the unit.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Mar 27, 2011
674 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote: I have two cams. One has done the check SD card once and the second has now asked 4 times. I would say the first cam gets more recordings since I drive more whereas the 2nd cam (wife's) gets less and yet has to be reformatted more.

Both cards are set to default, which is re-record based on time. Both have the original 16gb class 6 cards.

It's a nuisance and I have real no problem reformatting the card... I just have a problem if the card stops working while in drive and then there is an accident.

Again, I'm suspecting it could be a problem with the card itself, not the unit.

Try formatting with the card formatter from their site, and then upgrading to 1.40e. It's been ok for me so far...
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2003
1254 posts
255 upvotes
Aurora, ON
I already mentioned this theory once before. I think that many if not most corrupted SD card problems are caused by interruptions in power and voltage spikes when ignition is turned on. My BlackVue is hooked up to a power source that is not interrupted when I start the engine. I also ensure to allow BlackVue to boot up completely before I turn off the power to it (if I need to for whatever reason).

Would you dare to pull your desktop's power plug many times during the comp's boot process just to see if it will recover alright next time it's plugged back in? Every time BlackVue is powered up it creates new files on the SD card. File creation is a flimsy process. If power is interrupted during this step then it might result in a corrupted file system. Why take chances? Let you comp boot completely before shutting it down, meaning connect your BlackVue to a power source that doesn't flicker when your start your engine.

So far I have never had a problem with the "check SD card" error, and I'm on my fourth firmware.
May 27, 2007
16088 posts
4769 upvotes
Toronto
LarryLat wrote: I already mentioned this theory once before. I think that many if not most corrupted SD card problems are caused by interruptions in power and voltage spikes when ignition is turned on. My BlackVue is hooked up to a power source that is not interrupted when I start the engine. I also ensure to allow BlackVue to boot up completely before I turn off the power to it (if I need to for whatever reason).

Would you dare to pull your desktop's power plug many times during the comp's boot process just to see if it will recover alright next time it's plugged back in? Every time BlackVue is powered up it creates new files on the SD card. File creation is a flimsy process. If power is interrupted during this step then it might result in a corrupted file system. Why take chances? Let you comp boot completely before shutting it down, meaning connect your BlackVue to a power source that doesn't flicker when your start your engine.

So far I have never had a problem with the "check SD card" error, and I'm on my fourth firmware.

This might be a possible cause. I had my Blackvue hardwired with PMP, and it has been flawless so far. No check SD card issues at all.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11519 posts
5337 upvotes
Moving target
LarryLat wrote: I already mentioned this theory once before. I think that many if not most corrupted SD card problems are caused by interruptions in power and voltage spikes when ignition is turned on. My BlackVue is hooked up to a power source that is not interrupted when I start the engine. I also ensure to allow BlackVue to boot up completely before I turn off the power to it (if I need to for whatever reason).

Its funny, I was going to dig up your earlier post as it wasn't really discussed. I think you might be on to something. I have mine wired to a constant and my cars lights do not flicker when starting up.

I've never had the SD problem. I've been through each of the firmwares and have never had an sd card problem. I format my card 2 times a week.

1.40 has been solid, that 1 hour issue is resolved as far as I'm concerned. I even catch plates at night sometimes.
Autocorrect sucks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)