None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2003
6140 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
projectmoonlightcafe wrote:
Feb 11th, 2017 10:30 am
My updated collection after my purchases at Hairy T yesterday (missing Pitchcar + 5 expansions and Hanamikoji coz I lent them out):

https://flickr.com/photos/13086327@N02/ ... 8054501842
Nice collection! Thanks for sharing. Waiting to eventually move into a house when I can justify a Kallax purchase to organize them more nicely lol. Just have mine all stuffed into a closet for now.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4163 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
SwiZz wrote:
Feb 11th, 2017 12:42 pm
Nice collection! Thanks for sharing. Waiting to eventually move into a house when I can justify a Kallax purchase to organize them more nicely lol. Just have mine all stuffed into a closet for now.
The positive aspect of having limited space is you will curate your collection. Having more space means there's more dead weight...lol
Board games!!!!
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
15673 posts
661 upvotes
Stouffville
Feb 11th, 2017 10:30 am
My updated collection after my purchases at Hairy T yesterday (missing Pitchcar + 5 expansions and Hanamikoji coz I lent them out):

https://flickr.com/photos/13086327@N02/ ... 8054501842
damn.. thats a big and great collection...

how much stuff did you get at Harry T?

i decided not to head down... coulda went and got back before the snow but didnt... hope you did well..
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4163 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
grappos13 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2017 1:42 am
damn.. thats a big and great collection...

how much stuff did you get at Harry T?

i decided not to head down... coulda went and got back before the snow but didnt... hope you did well..
Picked up Ascension Year 2 collector's box, Snowdonia, Via Nebula, and War of the Ring 2nd edition for 50% off.
Board games!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2003
6140 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone play Champions of Midguard? What are your thoughts on it compared to Lords of Waterdeep. Sounds like there is more randomness in CoM, but in a good way if you like that kind of thing vs. Waterdeep. Everyone also seems to say CoM is more thematic and that LoW is a little dull in the theme department.

There is a kickstarter for CoM for two new expansions + limited edition box to house everything in one package. Debating whether to get that, or to go the Waterdeep route as my worker placement game in my collection.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... nav_search
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4163 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
SwiZz wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 9:14 am
Anyone play Champions of Midguard? What are your thoughts on it compared to Lords of Waterdeep. Sounds like there is more randomness in CoM, but in a good way if you like that kind of thing vs. Waterdeep. Everyone also seems to say CoM is more thematic and that LoW is a little dull in the theme department.

There is a kickstarter for CoM for two new expansions + limited edition box to house everything in one package. Debating whether to get that, or to go the Waterdeep route as my worker placement game in my collection.

Can't answer....never played it. LoW is pretty decent though.
Board games!!!!
Feb 11, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
I don't like it as much: LoW with the scoundrels of skullport expansion is my top worker placement game.
SwiZz wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 9:14 am

Feb 11, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
Yeah I'm skipping it. $100 USD is a lot of money, and I'm not a huge fan of CMON games. I backed The Others, and we got a ton of stuff, but I think I've played it twice. It's not a bad game, it's just not a great game. Our collection has grown large enough that games that aren't great don't get played again. Ditto for Rivet Wars, rum and bones, and blood rage. Good games -- but not great, and I expect rising sun to be similar.

Also I have zero interest in a samurai theme; but I admit there aren't that many good samurai games, and a lot of people seem to be into that theme.

On the other hand, Eric Lang is one of my favorite designers....

Mar 7th, 2017 7:48 pm
Man that Rising Sun KS.....
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4163 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
sirbenjamin wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 8:26 pm
On the other hand, Eric Lang is one of my favorite designers....
So you mentioned Others and BR not that great, but Lang is one of your faves....so what do you like about him then if not for his more recognizable blockbusters? Bloodborne? Arcane Academy?
Board games!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2003
6140 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone go to breakout con? How was it?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4163 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
SwiZz wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 9:59 am
Anyone go to breakout con? How was it?
I was there all three days....and I didn't really play too many games. On Friday, I played Tigris and Euphrates, Taj Mahal, Modern Art, and Samurai as part of a Reiner Knizia back to back marathon. Then I chilled for a bit and learned Above and Below with Eric Lang (although I didn't play, but I just got a copy as part of a math trade recently). At around 6pm I went to play a 4 player game of the first scenario of Arkham Horror the Card Game. On Saturday we started off with a 6 player game of Dominant Species. Then Cyclades with Titans Expansion, and then Letters from Whitechapel. I had to leave early due to a family commitment. On Sunday we played a 5 hour game of Food Chain Magnate and I was toast after that.

The turnout this year was a lot more than last year; I think they are looking for a bigger venue. Unless you preordered your ticket, day-of tickets sold out on Saturday at 9am!

If you didn't go, you really missed out...there were a lot of prototypes being played. I think Dinosaur Island is one of them (it's on KS now) and Eric Lang also demo'ed another game he was working on.
Board games!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2003
6140 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
Mar 21st, 2017 10:09 am
I was there all three days....and I didn't really play too many games. On Friday, I played Tigris and Euphrates, Taj Mahal, Modern Art, and Samurai as part of a Reiner Knizia back to back marathon. Then I chilled for a bit and learned Above and Below with Eric Lang (although I didn't play, but I just got a copy as part of a math trade recently). At around 6pm I went to play a 4 player game of the first scenario of Arkham Horror the Card Game. On Saturday we started off with a 6 player game of Dominant Species. Then Cyclades with Titans Expansion, and then Letters from Whitechapel. I had to leave early due to a family commitment. On Sunday we played a 5 hour game of Food Chain Magnate and I was toast after that.

The turnout this year was a lot more than last year; I think they are looking for a bigger venue. Unless you preordered your ticket, day-of tickets sold out on Saturday at 9am!

If you didn't go, you really missed out...there were a lot of prototypes being played. I think Dinosaur Island is one of them (it's on KS now) and Eric Lang also demo'ed another game he was working on.
Thanks for the summary! Sounds like fun. Yeah I definitely wanted to, but had commitments that weekend. Will definitely try to plan around it for next year.

Do you guys attend any or know of any board game meet ups in Toronto? I know 401 games has their Wednesday nights. Boardgamebliss has some table space, but haven't been there enough to see if its busy in evenings/weekends.
Deal Guru
Sep 7, 2006
13930 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
SwiZz wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 12:39 pm
Thanks for the summary! Sounds like fun. Yeah I definitely wanted to, but had commitments that weekend. Will definitely try to plan around it for next year.

Do you guys attend any or know of any board game meet ups in Toronto? I know 401 games has their Wednesday nights. Boardgamebliss has some table space, but haven't been there enough to see if its busy in evenings/weekends.
hairy t also has board game meetups:

http://www.htnorth.com/wordpress/?page_id=1830

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)