• Jul 20th, 2017 12:50 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4087 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
I typically don't go to meetups as my availability varies. I know up north there is one from Wood For Sheep that is weekly. Also, BoardGameBliss just had its first board game day and apparently it was a success (I couldn't make it)....in fact they said it was so successful that they already created event dates in April and May for them (just look at their fb page). I do try to make it to the quarterly TABSCon though.
SwiZz wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 12:39 pm
Thanks for the summary! Sounds like fun. Yeah I definitely wanted to, but had commitments that weekend. Will definitely try to plan around it for next year.

Do you guys attend any or know of any board game meet ups in Toronto? I know 401 games has their Wednesday nights. Boardgamebliss has some table space, but haven't been there enough to see if its busy in evenings/weekends.
Board games!!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1603 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Hey All! I just recently started a boardgame collection as my kids are getting to the point that we can play some games with more depth than.. Candyland, etc.

I've managed to pick up a few good deals from Kijiji and the rare thrift shop find (Catan BNIB for $5.99 was probably the best deal). I have a hard time investing in some of the bigger games as my gaming friends live outside the city so they wouldn't see much table time unfortunately.

Here are a couple of pics of my current collection (including my children's games that are slowly being replaced). Not pictured are my D&D 5E Books & Starter Set which are still sealed at this point. :(

ImageImage
SwiZz wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 12:39 pm
Thanks for the summary! Sounds like fun. Yeah I definitely wanted to, but had commitments that weekend. Will definitely try to plan around it for next year.

Do you guys attend any or know of any board game meet ups in Toronto? I know 401 games has their Wednesday nights. Boardgamebliss has some table space, but haven't been there enough to see if its busy in evenings/weekends.
Depending on where you are, Face to Face Games on the Danforth has a weekly boardgame gathering and I just recently came across Game Schooled in Scarborough which lists open gaming Wednesday & Saturday evenings.

Boardgaming
When: Mondays 18:00 – 21:00
Where: Face to Face Games, 2077a Danforth Ave, Toronto, ON M4C 1J8
Description: An evening of fun and relaxation! Learn to play new games or enjoy your old favourites. Meet new friends or bring a group!

When: Wednesdays & Saturdays 18:00 - Close?
Where: Game Schooled, 166a Bennett Road, Toronto, ON M1E3Y3

I haven't been to either and I joined several groups on Meetup however I haven't had the guts to show up by myself as of yet unfortunately. Between that & life, I don't get to play a quarter of the percentage I would like to. I missed out on Breakoutcon but do intend on going to TABScon.
Heatware 35-0-0

Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 | Intel i7 3770K | 4x4096 G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 | Asus DirectCUII 290X
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4087 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
Slaughter wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 1:26 am
I haven't been to either and I joined several groups on Meetup however I haven't had the guts to show up by myself as of yet unfortunately. Between that & life, I don't get to play a quarter of the percentage I would like to. I missed out on Breakoutcon but do intend on going to TABScon.
A few good ones to play with kids these days are Potion Explosion and Kingdomino. My 5 year old loves those games, and they are deep enough to be enjoyed by adults as well. I wouldn't have any problem playing either of these games with a table of adults.

Breakout Con was fun, but could be overwhelming as a lot of people showed up. On Saturday, at booth tickets were sold out at 9am. TABS is a little more laid back. If you are concerned about walking up to a table of people to ask if you can play, before any of the cons there's a scheduling thread on BGG that you can sign up for.
Board games!!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1603 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
I've been looking at Potion Explosion myself (one of my gaming friends just recommended it) but Kingdomino also looks interesting.

My kids are 8 & 12 this year and so far we've managed to get Carcassonne & Pandemic (with a bit of guidance for my youngest) to the table. I've played Epic Spell Wars & Boss Monster with my oldest and they went over very well.

TABS looks to be a bit more my pace but I'll definitely keep an eye out for the thread ahead of time! Thanks ;)
Heatware 35-0-0

Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 | Intel i7 3770K | 4x4096 G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 | Asus DirectCUII 290X
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4087 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
No problem, when the schedule's up I'll post it here. Kingdomino is brand new, but from veteran designer Bruno Cathala (you may have heard of some of his games: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesi ... no-cathala). Plays in about 15 minutes, but really fun for the whole family. It's a little tough to get your hands on these days as it just came out and everyone is snapping them up.
Slaughter wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 8:55 am
I've been looking at Potion Explosion myself (one of my gaming friends just recommended it) but Kingdomino also looks interesting.

My kids are 8 & 12 this year and so far we've managed to get Carcassonne & Pandemic (with a bit of guidance for my youngest) to the table. I've played Epic Spell Wars & Boss Monster with my oldest and they went over very well.

TABS looks to be a bit more my pace but I'll definitely keep an eye out for the thread ahead of time! Thanks ;)
Board games!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2003
6135 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
I recently asked for this to be my birthday gift from my wife.... (its how I get around buying more games when I really shouldn't be....). Not my actual photo, just found it on the web. Also got the extra dice.

Excited to play, but is always hard to get anything to the table with our 2 year old.......between her and work, just too exhausted on weeknights to even attempt to play...but hey at least it will look all cool on my shelf Grinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes lol
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1603 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
SwiZz wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 10:18 am
I recently asked for this to be my birthday gift from my wife.... (its how I get around buying more games when I really shouldn't be....). Not my actual photo, just found it on the web. Also got the extra dice.

Excited to play, but is always hard to get anything to the table with our 2 year old.......between her and work, just too exhausted on weeknights to even attempt to play...but hey at least it will look all cool on my shelf Grinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes lol
Did you do what I usually do? Buy it, hand my wife the receipt and say "This is what you bought me for ..."? LoL. Usually what I do.

I was tempted to get in on the Battlelore sale but I too think it would be more of a shelf collection than something that would get played.

And I hear you. I'm usually out cold before my kids nowadays...
Heatware 35-0-0

Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2003
6135 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
Slaughter wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 11:07 am
Did you do what I usually do? Buy it, hand my wife the receipt and say "This is what you bought me for ..."? LoL. Usually what I do.

I was tempted to get in on the Battlelore sale but I too think it would be more of a shelf collection than something that would get played.

And I hear you. I'm usually out cold before my kids nowadays...
Lol that's too funny. Yeah I just told her that ________ is going to my birthday gift, and that I'd take care of the purchase, you just be happy about it and play it with me lol. She's pretty good in being open to the hobby and we play every now and then. Usually easier to get games to the table with family events around holiday time. I watched so many Battlelore videos and playthroughs that I was pretty sure I'd enjoy the game, and don't think its "too long" of a game that I couldn't convince my wife or some friends to get through. The timing and combat depth seemed to be at the right sweet spot for my lifestyle. But yeah, we'll see how many times I can actually play it. It seems like Fantasy Flight is no longer supporting BattleLore, so wanted to get in on the sale while it was at this price and before it becomes hard to find in stores.

To balance out the purchases (and shelf space), I've sold 6-7 games that don't really get any play. They sold fairly quick on kijiji at the right price. Board games are expensive, so it's nice to have the second-hand market to purchase from.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4087 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
SwiZz wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 8:19 pm
Lol that's too funny. Yeah I just told her that ________ is going to my birthday gift, and that I'd take care of the purchase, you just be happy about it and play it with me lol. She's pretty good in being open to the hobby and we play every now and then. Usually easier to get games to the table with family events around holiday time. I watched so many Battlelore videos and playthroughs that I was pretty sure I'd enjoy the game, and don't think its "too long" of a game that I couldn't convince my wife or some friends to get through. The timing and combat depth seemed to be at the right sweet spot for my lifestyle. But yeah, we'll see how many times I can actually play it. It seems like Fantasy Flight is no longer supporting BattleLore, so wanted to get in on the sale while it was at this price and before it becomes hard to find in stores.

To balance out the purchases (and shelf space), I've sold 6-7 games that don't really get any play. They sold fairly quick on kijiji at the right price. Board games are expensive, so it's nice to have the second-hand market to purchase from.
What do you have for sale?
Board games!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2003
6135 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
projectmoonlightcafe wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 9:11 pm
What do you have for sale?
I actually just found buyers for the last few items......so nothing else available at the moment now. In the past week,

I sold:

- Risk (brand new, still sealed)
- Pandemic: In The Lab Expansion (brand new, still sealed)
- Exploding Kittens
- The Hare and the Tortoise (iello games)

And I have buyers set to come to pick up the remaining games:

- Cards Against Humanity
- No Thanks!
- Uno (sealed)
- Settlers of Catan (5-6 player expansion)
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1603 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Have you guys backed any Kickstarter games? What are your thoughts on the whole thing?

I feel like I've missed out but at the same time, every game I look at, by the time I convert to CAD and add shipping, they are more than I would ever consider paying...
Heatware 35-0-0

Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4087 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
Well, all KS's have some kind of risk to them (of non-delivery), although a lot of publishers use it as a vehicle for preordering. Out of the board games I backed, all have come, so I'm pretty content. I'm actually waiting on a few at the moment: Tiny Epic Galaxies expansion, Tiny Epic Quest, The 7th Continent, Yokohama, Tao Long, Rising Sun, and just backed Gloomhaven. Also waiting for my Duchess gaming table to arrive that I also backed on KS.
Slaughter wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 12:50 pm
Have you guys backed any Kickstarter games? What are your thoughts on the whole thing?

I feel like I've missed out but at the same time, every game I look at, by the time I convert to CAD and add shipping, they are more than I would ever consider paying...
Board games!!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1603 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
I've been on the fence with Gloomhaven but I'm resisting as I know it won't get to the table often.

I'm looking forward to Zombicide: Green Horde at the end of may and that will probably be my first KS contribution. The risk itself hasn't bothered me so much but the pricing has. :S
Heatware 35-0-0

Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4087 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
I'm trying to get rid of 4 boxes of zombicides...lol
Slaughter wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 1:28 pm
I've been on the fence with Gloomhaven but I'm resisting as I know it won't get to the table often.

I'm looking forward to Zombicide: Green Horde at the end of may and that will probably be my first KS contribution. The risk itself hasn't bothered me so much but the pricing has. :S
Board games!!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1603 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Is that your Prison Outbreak set that I've been tempted by? ;) lol.

I personally haven't played the regular game but am more interested in Black Plague / Wulfsburg / Green Horde.
Heatware 35-0-0