• Jul 20th, 2017 12:50 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4163 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
No, it was 1st edition....haha. I was able to hunt one down.

I was at BGB, they started tournament with Cash and Guns, and then Captain Sonar. I left after that (around 4:30) so I don't know what they did as a group after that.
Slaughter wrote:
May 1st, 2017 9:24 pm
Wow! I'm jealous!

Your Gloomhaven, was that from the second printing? It came already? I just backed it myself. My first KS. :P

And did anyone do anything for ITTD? I was planning to check out Boardgame Bliss but due to unforseen circumstances, was unable to.
Board games!!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1603 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Ahhh.. That makes sense ;) Wondered how you got it so fast. LoL.

How was the turnout? From the pictures I saw, it was a relatively small gathering.
Heatware 35-0-0

Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 | Intel i7 3770K | 4x4096 G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 | Asus DirectCUII 290X
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4163 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
Yea, there were enough people to play 2 simultaneous games of Captain Sonar, plus a few stragglers. So I would say around 20 people?
Slaughter wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 1:06 pm
Ahhh.. That makes sense ;) Wondered how you got it so fast. LoL.

How was the turnout? From the pictures I saw, it was a relatively small gathering.
Board games!!!!
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2400 posts
484 upvotes
Toronto
I picked up my Lorenzo Il Magnifico last week along with Project Energy Empire.

This week picked up The Colonists for some two player fun.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4163 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
I picked up Lorenzo too....can't wait to play,

Energy Empire was okay, a lot of people like it but the theme's not really for me. I'll keep my copy though, want to play it a few more times before I decide whether I would want to keep it or not.

I picked up the Colonists too....but haven't opened. Can't find anyone to play the 4 era game with...lol

Also got Magic Maze after the SDJ nomination. Not sure whether I would like it or not.

If you have a chance, pick up Yokohama...soooo good.
rebel_rfd wrote:
May 26th, 2017 1:10 pm
I picked up my Lorenzo Il Magnifico last week along with Project Energy Empire.

This week picked up The Colonists for some two player fun.
Board games!!!!
Aug 20, 2014
203 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Question: What is everyone's favourite store to buy board games from? I looked at Amazon and 401 games and the later was much cheaper.
Still spent 250 ish though...
Catan expansion for 6 players
7 wonders
Istanbul
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Hive (very simple game)
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
15673 posts
661 upvotes
Stouffville
^ i try to kijiji stuff if possible.. although i have been burned a few times but other times have gotten really great deals..

it really all depends where you are located... i got a membership at woodforsheep so everything is 10% off and usually after that 10% off, it is on par, or a little cheaper than 401..depending on the games... and since they are like down the street from me, its much better.... ive also bought a few items from boardgamebliss and have no complaints..

your example:

Catan expansion - 401 - $24...WFS - $23
7 wonders - 401 - $60..WFS - $54.50
Istanbul - 401 - $47..WFS - $44.50
Ludwig - 401 - $54...WFS - $52.50
Hive - 401 - $31..WFS - $29.50

so in the end, WFS would be $12+tax cheaper on that purchase... the membership for the year to get the 10% off is about $20... so it pays for itself pretty easily if you buy a decent amount of games over the year... plus you get a few SWAG when you sign up like a dice bag and some other stuff.. and also save $1 each time on the game centre to play... ive definitely got my membership worth in the 6 months that ive had it...

in the end, as i said.. it all depends what is close for you.... 401 is downtown... legends warehouse had the woodbridge/vaughan area being at langstaff and hwy 400 but the new 401 at keele and hwy 7 will compete with them.. hairy T does the thornhill area at yonge and steeles... woodforsheep deals with the markham area being at birchmount and 14th avenue....and boardgamebliss deals with scarborough people being at mccowan and hwy 401..
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2400 posts
484 upvotes
Toronto
grappos13 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2017 2:20 am
^ i try to kijiji stuff if possible.. although i have been burned a few times but other times have gotten really great deals..

it really all depends where you are located... i got a membership at woodforsheep so everything is 10% off and usually after that 10% off, it is on par, or a little cheaper than 401..depending on the games... and since they are like down the street from me, its much better.... ive also bought a few items from boardgamebliss and have no complaints..

your example:

Catan expansion - 401 - $24...WFS - $23
7 wonders - 401 - $60..WFS - $54.50
Istanbul - 401 - $47..WFS - $44.50
Ludwig - 401 - $54...WFS - $52.50
Hive - 401 - $31..WFS - $29.50

so in the end, WFS would be $12+tax cheaper on that purchase... the membership for the year to get the 10% off is about $20... so it pays for itself pretty easily if you buy a decent amount of games over the year... plus you get a few SWAG when you sign up like a dice bag and some other stuff.. and also save $1 each time on the game centre to play... ive definitely got my membership worth in the 6 months that ive had it...

in the end, as i said.. it all depends what is close for you.... 401 is downtown... legends warehouse had the woodbridge/vaughan area being at langstaff and hwy 400 but the new 401 at keele and hwy 7 will compete with them.. hairy T does the thornhill area at yonge and steeles... woodforsheep deals with the markham area being at birchmount and 14th avenue....and boardgamebliss deals with scarborough people being at mccowan and hwy 401..
Bliss tends to get imports and early releases a little faster than 401, plus their alert system works better, unlike 401 who fails to alert to tweet properly, drops the game in stock and it's gone by hoarders/Americans.

401 also does blow out sales on titles and will never restock and it's done just to piss off stores like WFS or Hairy T since 401 has more buying more from the different publishers.

You should check Kijiji for 7 Wonders and Castles of Mad King as I had just listed them and saw a few other listings.

With the recent trend of Kickstarter and more and more games being published I find myself culling a lot of classics in order to get newer games to the table and into my collection.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4163 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
Spiel Des Jahres winner: Kingdomino
Kennerspiel winner: Exit The Game

I have both, haven't played Exit yet. Kingdomino is super light, I'm surprised it wasn't in the Kinderspiel category.
Board games!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2003
6140 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone in the Scarborough/Markham area, up for playing some BattleLore? I got it a few months ago, but with a 2 year old, it's always hard to find time to play games in general. Weeknights would be preferable, as weekends always tend to be busy. Perhaps at either Board Game Bliss or Wood for Sheep on a weeknight.

Up for BattleLore, or any other games to be honest. I have a decent amount (maybe 40) games I can bring, but yeah am open to anything.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4163 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
What kind of games do you like to play?

SwiZz wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:38 am
Anyone in the Scarborough/Markham area, up for playing some BattleLore? I got it a few months ago, but with a 2 year old, it's always hard to find time to play games in general. Weeknights would be preferable, as weekends always tend to be busy. Perhaps at either Board Game Bliss or Wood for Sheep on a weeknight.

Up for BattleLore, or any other games to be honest. I have a decent amount (maybe 40) games I can bring, but yeah am open to anything.
Board games!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2003
6140 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
projectmoonlightcafe wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:16 am
What kind of games do you like to play?

I'm up to learn anything to be honest. Most of my collection I'd describe as gateway games, mainly because those are the types I can get my family/friends into (and even then a little pushing my hobby on them lol). Here's my collection:
https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/thonmon

Set the filter to "Own"

I'm aware of some of the more popular and heavier games, but never really spent too much time learning the rules through playthroughs, etc. since I never thought I'd ever get my friends/family into them. The hope is to mould my 2 year old daughter, so that in about 10 years, she will be pity me and play some heavier ones too lol :)

But yeah, I'm up for anything really. I've been itching to play BattleLore with someone simply because I've had it for months and aside from doing the tutorial with my wife once a few weeks ago, I'd like to really test it out. But at this point, wouldn't mind any game really. Just finding someone (or more) people that are free to play every now and then.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1603 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
I'm always up to learn anything as well. Board Game Bliss would be more convenient for me as I live in East York but I'd be up for getting together at some point. Keep in mind, BGB does have a collection of games what could be played as well.

Here is my collection so far: https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/us ... dgame&ff=1

Obviously Gloomhaven still hasn't arrived yet as I'm part of the 2nd wave KS along with Zombicide: Green Horde ;)
Heatware 35-0-0

Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 | Intel i7 3770K | 4x4096 G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 | Asus DirectCUII 290X
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4163 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
Slaughter wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 3:11 pm
I'm always up to learn anything as well. Board Game Bliss would be more convenient for me as I live in East York but I'd be up for getting together at some point. Keep in mind, BGB does have a collection of games what could be played as well.

Here is my collection so far: https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/us ... dgame&ff=1

Obviously Gloomhaven still hasn't arrived yet as I'm part of the 2nd wave KS along with Zombicide: Green Horde ;)
SwiZz wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 2:27 pm
I'm up to learn anything to be honest. Most of my collection I'd describe as gateway games, mainly because those are the types I can get my family/friends into (and even then a little pushing my hobby on them lol). Here's my collection:
https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/thonmon

Set the filter to "Own"

I'm aware of some of the more popular and heavier games, but never really spent too much time learning the rules through playthroughs, etc. since I never thought I'd ever get my friends/family into them. The hope is to mould my 2 year old daughter, so that in about 10 years, she will be pity me and play some heavier ones too lol :)

But yeah, I'm up for anything really. I've been itching to play BattleLore with someone simply because I've had it for months and aside from doing the tutorial with my wife once a few weeks ago, I'd like to really test it out. But at this point, wouldn't mind any game really. Just finding someone (or more) people that are free to play every now and then.
I know Bosco and AJ well, and wouldn't mind getting together (the three of us) on a weekend afternoon to play. I understand with a small one it's hard. I have 2 myself..lol.

Swizz: Well, I think your collection is pretty representative of your description as a gamer. Probably Jamaica, Stockpile, and Champions of Midgard are your heaviest games (that, and Battlelore). I think my wife is in the same camp. Based on what you have, there are a few games I think are exactly up your alley: Kanagawa, Celestia, Cacao.

Here's my collection: https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/us ... nlightcafe

EDIT: Oh, Stockpile is want to buy. It's a good game, but must buy the expansion or else the game falls flat in the luck compartment.
Board games!!!!