• Jul 20th, 2017 12:50 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4171 posts
487 upvotes
Toronto
Here's my take: 7 Wonders: Cities is an interesting expansion. The additional mechanics are relatively simple. You get one more card in addition to your 7 cards for each Age, so you get 8 cards per round. These cards give more flexibility to the existing cards from the initial deck, so there is more variety of what can be done. I really like this aspect, because if you've ever played 7 Wonders more than 5-10 times, it starts getting repetitive even though I think it's a great game that's really easy to learn. In addition, Cities allows two minor additions - the ability to make other people lose money and thus take debt tokens which subtract to your victory points at the end and diplomacy tokens which essentially remove you from military action at the end of each age. I played the Cities expansion with the Leaders expansion with 7 players, and although it started getting a little messy I think playing both expansions together really makes the game much more fun.

For Kingdom Builder, it's a tough decision. I didn't play it as there were 7 of us and the game is 4 player max, so I ended up being the moderator and rules checker. My friends didn't like the game as it was too simple and a lot of luck was involved in random draws. I personally think it may take a few more plays before you can really appreciate the amount of complexity that can go into the game, but on the outset I do agree it would have benefitted from a mechanic that involves less luck. This game actually won the German board game award at Spiel des Jahres this year (7 Wonders also won in a separate category last year), so I'll try to give it the benefit of the doubt. Of course, this game was a little more hyped as the creator was also the creator for Dominion.
Board games!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2003
6141 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
Just noticed this thread. Recently been going through a "board game phase".....I think I tend to enjoy the research on them, just like with any phase lol. Here's some of my thoughts of games I own:

Party Games:

Taboo
Dont need to say much about this one. Pretty well known.

Guesstures (Electronic Version)
Love this game. If you can get the electronic version, it works even better. It's basically playing charades in two teams, with a machine giving you random words, and you decide how many words you want to try to "go for" within your allotted time. If you get greedy, you can lose all your points if your team can't guess the last one. It's always been a blast each time we've played.

Catchphrase
It's like taboo where you use try to describe the word to get your team to guess it, except there's no "taboo" words to avoid, aside from saying the word itself. Once your team guessing your word, you pass it to the opposite team (every sits in a circle, alternating team members). What makes this game unique is that there's a ticking time bomb going the entire time you're trying to get your team to guess words. Whoever the bomb explodes on, the other team gets a point. Really fun game, and the ticking timer adds a lot of fun pressure.

Regular Board Games

Settlers of Catan
This is the first game I picked up a few months ago that turned my eye into more designer/euro board games. Didn't know how many of these games existed until I played catan and wanted to find more games like it. It's a great gateway game, and I've found it easy to get my friends into this game as the rules are basic enough to play right away, but takes a game or two to figure out proper strategy. What I like about the game is that usually everyone is pretty close to winning up until the end, so it keeps everyone engaged. Dumb luck of the dice can help even noob players stay competitive until the end as well.

Haven't tried the expansions yet, but maybe in the future. I like the simplicity of the game, and wonder if adding more elements would make it less enjoyable.

7 Wonders
I got this as a gift, and despite all the reviews, I haven't really been able to get into it. It looks great, and has some cool mechanics, but at the end of the day, I think the biggest part for me was that most of my friends don't play these types of games often. So if you have people over and have to explain to them a bazillion rules, it really makes the game feel more like a chore and doesn't feel fun. And by the end of the first game that people play, they don't think its that great because it went so slowly and they likely dont want to play it again. After a few tries with different friends, I decided to sell it since I dont think it'll catch on in our group despite my efforts :)

Ticket to Ride
Just picked this up last week as a replacement for 7 Wonders. Haven't opened it yet, but from all the reviews and recommendations, it seems like it'll be another great game like settlers that will be easy for people to pick up and enjoy.

Great Filler Games (quick to play if you're short on time)

Monopoly Deal (the original, not the Millionaire version)
Awesome card game. Simple to explain, relatively short, and fun to screw people over. Cheap too (around $8). Highly recommend it.

King of Tokyo
Pretty fun game if you have the right group of people who don't think the concept of monsters fighting each other is too childish. Basically you're trying to either get 20 victory points, or kill all the other players. It's a dice rolling game, so its very luck-dependant, but you do get some good choices to make as a player to try to help you to win. What's great about this game is that its super easy to learn, and the games go by relatively quickly. The game creates a lot of smack talk, which keeps everyone at the table engaged. The downside is that people can get eliminated, and they just have to sit around and watch. But usually the games don't run too long, so its not so bad.

Jaipur
A two-player only game. Hard to explain this game, but there's some good tutorial videos on youtube. You basically trade cards, and try to collect sets of matching items to sell off in order to collect points. If you sell larger sets, you get bonus points. Basically you try to get more points than your opponent. It sounds pretty simple and boring, but the game play is pretty fun with some interesting strategy choices involved as well. Probably my current favourite two player game.

Tsuro
Just picked this up last week. It's a very quick game, and can play up to 8 people which is great. It's a tile-placing game. Basically you're trying to stay on the gameboard's path, without crashing into anyone else, or falling off the game board. Last man standing wins. It's a unique abstract game. Simple to teach as well.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2003
6141 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
I also bought Lords of Waterdeep through the Hot Deals thread from Chapters, but ended up returning it after watchign reviews of it. Even though its a fairly simple game to pick up, I didn't think my group of friends would be into it.

Any other games you guys would recommend which are easy to pick up?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4171 posts
487 upvotes
Toronto
SwiZz wrote:
Aug 14th, 2013 12:05 pm

Settlers of Catan
This is the first game I picked up a few months ago that turned my eye into more designer/euro board games. Didn't know how many of these games existed until I played catan and wanted to find more games like it. It's a great gateway game, and I've found it easy to get my friends into this game as the rules are basic enough to play right away, but takes a game or two to figure out proper strategy. What I like about the game is that usually everyone is pretty close to winning up until the end, so it keeps everyone engaged. Dumb luck of the dice can help even noob players stay competitive until the end as well.

Haven't tried the expansions yet, but maybe in the future. I like the simplicity of the game, and wonder if adding more elements would make it less enjoyable.

7 Wonders
I got this as a gift, and despite all the reviews, I haven't really been able to get into it. It looks great, and has some cool mechanics, but at the end of the day, I think the biggest part for me was that most of my friends don't play these types of games often. So if you have people over and have to explain to them a bazillion rules, it really makes the game feel more like a chore and doesn't feel fun. And by the end of the first game that people play, they don't think its that great because it went so slowly and they likely dont want to play it again. After a few tries with different friends, I decided to sell it since I dont think it'll catch on in our group despite my efforts :)

Ticket to Ride
Just picked this up last week as a replacement for 7 Wonders. Haven't opened it yet, but from all the reviews and recommendations, it seems like it'll be another great game like settlers that will be easy for people to pick up and enjoy.
Looks like you and your group of friends are beginner gamers. Nothing wrong with that, just that games like Settlers have too much randomness in them, ie. a first time player can beat a veteran gamer as long as the dice roll to their favour. You will like Ticket to Ride, it's an easy game and I find it much more fun than Settlers (which I haven't played in like 10 years). 7 Wonders is an easy game to learn. I don't understand why it would be a chore to explain to brand new people. I've taught this game to many people and it usually only takes five or 10 minutes to explain the rules to them. If you find 7 Wonders hard to teach, then you'd best stay away from 95 of the top 100 games on boardgamegeek.com.
Board games!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2003
6141 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
projectmoonlightcafe wrote:
Aug 14th, 2013 12:35 pm
Looks like you and your group of friends are beginner gamers. Nothing wrong with that, just that games like Settlers have too much randomness in them, ie. a first time player can beat a veteran gamer as long as the dice roll to their favour. You will like Ticket to Ride, it's an easy game and I find it much more fun than Settlers (which I haven't played in like 10 years). 7 Wonders is an easy game to learn. I don't understand why it would be a chore to explain to brand new people. I've taught this game to many people and it usually only takes five or 10 minutes to explain the rules to them. If you find 7 Wonders hard to teach, then you'd best stay away from 95 of the top 100 games on boardgamegeek.com.
The crappy part is, I'd love to play more of the complex games on that list, like Agricola, etc., but I just know if I buy it, I wont get any use out of it, as my wife wouldnt' play it, nor would my friends lol. I guess they won't have the patience to learn something like that.

I didn't find 7 Wonders hard to teach, because just from watching a tutorial or two through youtube, it was pretty simple. I guess the people I played with had trouble keeping track of all the scoring options that affect the final score (especially factoring in the science cards). I'm sure if they played it a few times, like I have, they'd enjoy it more, but they're the type to just quit on something if they didn't enjoy it the first time. Impatient people :)
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4171 posts
487 upvotes
Toronto
SwiZz wrote:
Aug 14th, 2013 1:26 pm
The crappy part is, I'd love to play more of the complex games on that list, like Agricola, etc., but I just know if I buy it, I wont get any use out of it, as my wife wouldnt' play it, nor would my friends lol. I guess they won't have the patience to learn something like that.

I didn't find 7 Wonders hard to teach, because just from watching a tutorial or two through youtube, it was pretty simple. I guess the people I played with had trouble keeping track of all the scoring options that affect the final score (especially factoring in the science cards). I'm sure if they played it a few times, like I have, they'd enjoy it more, but they're the type to just quit on something if they didn't enjoy it the first time. Impatient people :)
Oh, that's really too bad. While I doubt I can learn something like Arkham Horror with my group of friends, games like Agricola, Caylus, Tigris and Euphrates, and Puerto Rico are generally pretty easy to pick up when one of us knows how to explain the rules to the others. I had the opportunity to teach a group of co-workers Agricola after-hours two weeks ago as we tried to make our own first board game night. I've never played with any of them (one of them doesn't even play board games at all) and they pretty much didn't know what to do throughout the game, but at the end they were quite comfortable they grasped the concept and want to play it again. I think it has to do with presentation of the game (like Agricola is kind of cool as you have animals and fences and stuff) and as the host you have to first know how to play and then prepare to explain it to them in advance so you don't sound confusing. For me in this scenario, I actually wrote out a summary sheet for myself to explain the entire concept to make it sound interesting and fun and not a chore to understand.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to have your Agricola pimped out like mine:
[IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 1805_n.jpg[/IMG]
Board games!!!!
Aug 24, 2009
56 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
SwiZz wrote:
Aug 14th, 2013 1:26 pm

7 Wonders is a great game to keep on hand, it's too bad you sold it. At first it can be overwhelming to learn all the rules, but it's good to play a trial game or two first while going through the rules; it's easier to pick it up when seeing what's happening and why this card might affect another card.

Are there certain types of games your friends like to play?

And I just noticed Agricola was on sale at Chapters/Indigo for $40 but is sold out now. :(
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4171 posts
487 upvotes
Toronto
I think Lords of Waterdeep just made it to the top of my go-to game to go traveling with. I can carry all the pieces in a little container measuring roughly 8x5x2.5 inches which I picked up for $2 at Dollarama (sans board, which I could just slip in the bottom of my suitcase). I even tried adding the Undermountain expansion and it only added a Bicycle deck-of-cards box extra package. The expansion allows for a 6th player. I tried it with my other heavier games and this is clearly the winner with less pieces AND I love the fact that you really don't need to sort the pieces like you do with other games so there's no need for a divider and/or plastic bags for each type of piece.

While I like 7 Wonders and was actually packing it into my suitcase (I'm going on vacation and I have tons of people to play with), I replaced it with LoW. 7 Wonders obviously has less pieces and no actual large gaming board, which is a plus but I find replayability is less with 7 Wonders. There's more strategy involved with LoW and it comes off as a more hefty game with less abstraction, where I find have elements of Agricola, Caylus, and 7 Wonders in as well.
Board games!!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4171 posts
487 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone heard of or played Terra Mystica? Came out in May and sold out everywhere as apparently (based on Hairy T) that ZMan games only printing like 1/4 of what they said they were going to produce. It jumped to #8 all time best on boardgamegeek. Anyone have any impressions?
Board games!!!!
Apr 16, 2008
584 posts
55 upvotes
Etobicoke
SwiZz wrote:
Aug 14th, 2013 12:05 pm
Just noticed this thread. Recently been going through a "board game phase".....I think I tend to enjoy the research on them, just like with any phase lol. Here's some of my thoughts of games I own:

Settlers of Catan

The expansions for this game bring it to a whole new level. They open endless possibilities for variants and keep the game fresh every time.

I suggest getting Cities & Knights first. Then Seafarers. Haven't dabbled too much in Traders & Barbarians or the newest one.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15981 posts
368 upvotes
projectmoonlightcafe wrote:
Aug 13th, 2012 9:29 am
I played the iOS version by myself. It looks okay, pretty casual game. Not sure how it'll hold up on replayability though.
Playing with other people will enhance your game really well. It depends on how well one acts and each game, you have different roles.

I find that it's not as popular with certain groups of people because the "rules" are "too much." People just needs patience and once understood, the game is fun.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2006
1490 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Party game: Cards against humanity. You can google it and download a print and play for free.

Like apples to apples, but more offensive.
May 10, 2010
180 posts
6 upvotes
Kitchener
My friends and I have started to get into board games recently. So I'm asking fellow RFDers for recommendations. I currently have King of Tokyo, Cards Against Humanity, Munchkin Zombies, and Zombies Dice. Right now, I'm considering buying Pandemic.

*FYI, we usually have a group of 10 people playing (sometimes even more)
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4171 posts
487 upvotes
Toronto
Okay guys, looking as there hasn't been much activity lately, I would want someone to assist in a little project I'm looking to set out to accomplish. I am looking for a board game that can ultimately be condensed in such a way that it can fit in a box the size of a hardcover book (or a little larger). Here are my requirements:

1) A really good game...ie top 100 on BoardGameGeek, and preferably within the top 30
2) It's complex, like an Eurogame, with multiple avenues to win and dozens of plays in order to fully appreciate the depth and magnitude of the game
3) Multi-player, preferably up to 4 or 5 but should also work well with 2 or 3
4) Play time at least 1 hour
5) Not too abstract, ie. I prefer outsmarting rather than outwitting another player

As such, the best game that comes to mind is Race For The Galaxy.

A few runner ups I have are:
-Ra (without the board)
-St Petersburg (without the board)
-San Juan
-Tichu
-Carcassone (travel edition)

Anyone else have any suggestions? Please no Fluxx, Munchkin, Catan, etc.

Thanks!
Board games!!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2006
1490 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Optical24 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2013 8:24 pm
My friends and I have started to get into board games recently. So I'm asking fellow RFDers for recommendations. I currently have King of Tokyo, Cards Against Humanity, Munchkin Zombies, and Zombies Dice. Right now, I'm considering buying Pandemic.

*FYI, we usually have a group of 10 people playing (sometimes even more)
Try Coup and Avalon/The Resistance