Fashion & Apparel

[Merged] The Official Canada Goose Authenticity / Legit Check Thread

Jan 12, 2012
354 posts
6 upvotes
kingofwale wrote:
Jan 28th, 2012 11:14 pm
Canada Goose's rise has just started. Maybe in 5 years we will see the sales level off.

considering they are still increasing their prices and competition are selling their jackets at a higher price point. I don't see this "craze" ending anytime soon.

I wonder if CG will go public, love to buy some stocks. ;)

I wouldn't say it just started. I think 2008 is when I started seeing CG get hot. Then it got bigger in the past three season. More and more each season.

I can't predict the future of fashion, but I suspect another price increase combined with how trendy Chilliwack's were this season could be the start of things leveling off in the near future. Who knows. Nobody does. I certainly think that sales will level off before the 5 years you quote though.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
9941 posts
830 upvotes
TheGZA wrote:
Jan 28th, 2012 11:16 pm
I wouldn't say it just started. I think 2008 is when I started seeing CG get hot. Then it got bigger in the past three season. More and more each season.

I can't predict the future of fashion, but I suspect another price increase combined with how trendy Chilliwack's were this season could be the start of things leveling off in the near future. Who knows. Nobody does. I certainly think that sales will level off before the 5 years you quote though.

i certain agree with you.

Chilliwack will always be a timeless jacket, but its popularity is becoming legendary and I can see it tapering off soon.

Expedition will always have its place.

Although I have a feeling that Chateau will be the next popular one.
Jan 12, 2012
354 posts
6 upvotes
kingofwale wrote:
Jan 28th, 2012 11:20 pm

Chilliwack will always be a timeless jacket, but its popularity is becoming legendary and I can see it tapering off soon.

The Chateau is pretty popular already. Not Chilliwack popular, but it gets snatched up from online stores almost immediately.

I'd like to see the Langford get bigger. I don't know why more stores didn't carry it this season. Very nice coat.

I think we all agree regardless that CG isn't going away anytime soon and no matter what will always be a popular label in Canada for years to come.
Jan 30, 2011
65 posts
56 upvotes
kingofwale wrote:

It's good to hear you agree, its just a matter of when.

Since we've debated so much already, how's this; Lightning or Tifa ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
761 upvotes
Dildo
Excellent discussion... we haven't resorted to immature attacks and flaming yet. This place and its user base are both great. :)
kingofwale wrote:
Jan 28th, 2012 8:01 pm
lol, it's official people. CGFA takes advantages of teens. ;)

where about are you from? I never knew that before.
LGs will never know what hit 'em. :D

I'm from eastern Ontario. I thought you had seen my two Snow Goose Resolute and Snow Mantra auctions recently. My location was clearly stated in the listings. ;)

As a result of me not being in Toronto, whatever trending happens to Canada Goose will likely be seen in Toronto first, and then perhaps trickle out to other Canadian cities. So, if the Canada Goose bubble should burst at any time in Toronto (Canada's fashion/economic/cultural capital, in my opinion), I think everybody living elsewhere will catch up at some point later, or maybe even not at all. So in the meantime, I'm not afraid of anything earth-shattering happening.
yao416 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2012 10:36 pm
Teach me how to flip
Keep a watch on the desired market, buy low (negotiate if necessary), take better photos and list with a better description, and sell higher. That can be applied for almost any item you wish to flip on eBay, Kijiji, etc.
kingofwale wrote:
I wonder if CG will go public, love to buy some stocks. ;)

If their popularity is going to continue to swell, yes. But the bubble will burst at some point. When, we cannot say. It's like gambling.

In the meantime, maybe we can get some Facebook stocks... :lol:
TheGZA wrote:
Don't compare RIM to anyone. Especially not clothing labels. RIM is dying because they failed to make a great phone that could compete with the excellent offerings by Apple and Android for the past 5 years. Crappy web browser, small screen, little to no apps, crap media player. The list goes on and on.
Canada Goose can potentially start to wane (but likely not severely like RIM) because, while they're making a solid quality product, there are excellent offerings by its competitors, all of which receive fantastic discussion here on RFD so I don't need to name any names, because inevitably I will likely leave some of them out by accident. ;) Lesser quality fur as the years go by, uncomfortable chest-level handwarmer pockets on too many of their jackets, increasing prices (18% price hike is quite drastic), the hood and fur are not independently removable on all their jackets, and perceived "oversaturation" in the market.
TheGZA wrote:
Canada Goose will, in due time, come back to earth a little with respect to sales. The Chilliwack, IMO, will not be the go-to coat for so many high school/college kids and trend following adults. People will grow tired of this model, and move onto something else. This is one of the principles of fashion. The rest of the CG line will stay strong because parkas are timeless. People will continue to purchase CG bombers too in the future, but in due time (I say starting next year and growing more so for 3-4 years) people will get a different bomber-esque coat from another label(s).

This is a good prediction and I really do hope the prices become more realistic in the future. However, I'm not particularly loyal to any one brand, but will continue to be interested in keeping an eye on Canada Goose's offerings if they can produce jackets with the right combination of features that a picky customer like me enjoys at a price that is reasonable relative to its competition.
kingofwale wrote:

The popularity of any Canada Goose jacket will be subsequently reflected in the appearance and proliferation of counterfeit jackets for that particular model. The authentic Chateau enjoys a lot of popularity on RFD and also from what I have seen in real life too. So I think it's really strange we haven't seen a counterfeit Chateau yet, but the Banff (less popular on RFD and real life) we've seen three counterfeit examples in this thread in January 2012 already.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
9941 posts
830 upvotes
SlicedUpBeef wrote:
Jan 28th, 2012 11:43 pm

well, I'm a Business major and spent a lot of times on economic models. Pretty much everything product will tail off in sales. But given its popularity and price increase next year... what we disagree on is when it will happen.

I predict a 5 year cycle with a soft landing. People are dismissing how it's made in Canada, I think that will eventually be a selling point of this jacket.

and..... Both
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
9941 posts
830 upvotes
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote:
Jan 29th, 2012 12:09 am
Excellent discussion... we haven't resorted to immature attacks and flaming yet. This place and its user base are both great. :)

LGs will never know what hit 'em. :D

I'm from eastern Ontario. I thought you had seen my two Snow Goose Resolute and Snow Mantra auctions recently. My location was clearly stated in the listings. ;)

considering you have T&T, you aren't that far. ;)

speaking of Facebook stocks, I'm already committed in on it. Not going to go as crazy as I did once with Apple stock (prior to iPhone 3G and once again after second gen Macbook air), but I will at least delegate 3-5% of my profolio to it. I'm still kicking myself for not go-in on Google offering (thought they didn't have a solid enough businss model for profitability. :facepalm :)
Jan 30, 2011
65 posts
56 upvotes
kingofwale wrote:
Jan 29th, 2012 12:11 am
well, I'm a Business major and spent a lot of times on economic models. Pretty much everything product will tail off in sales. But given its popularity and price increase next year... what we disagree on is when it will happen.

I predict a 5 year cycle with a soft landing. People are dismissing how it's made in Canada, I think that will eventually be a selling point of this jacket.

and..... Both

Alright, there's no more for either of us to establish now. We can only make the conclusion over time. We'll just have to wait and see.

Lightning IMO
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
9941 posts
830 upvotes
SlicedUpBeef wrote:
Jan 29th, 2012 12:21 am
Alright, there's no more for either of us to establish now. We can only make the conclusion over time. We'll just have to wait and see.

Lightning IMO

Tifa is more iconic... Kinda wish SE would be smarten up and remake the bloody game. It has been top 1-2 games on Japanese gamer's wish-list for decades now. *sighs*

We can always check back on it 5 years down the road. ;) , I've ready been here for 3 years and I'm sure I will still be as cheap as I am right now for a long time to come. LOL (RFD 4 life). ;)
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2011
1445 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
kingofwale wrote:
Jan 29th, 2012 12:11 am

and..... Both
Made in Canada was always a selling point of Canada Goose. It's advertised everywhere for the company and I think it's great for them. People have chirped Goose for having their gloves and other accessories made in China. Gooses have been popular for a long time. It first started in Scandinavia around 2000, during their snow goose/Canada goose years, and slowly trickled it's way into the North American market. It made a big boom in sales in 2008 here and ever since you can notice it's constant price increases. From what used to be a 400-500 jacket is now being sold for much higher. Just last year they had a $50 hike on the chilliwack and their more popular models. It's not surprising with the current demand that they're taking the risk with another price hike so close. You cannot deny they have started catering towards mainstream with fashion jackets and celebrity collabs. You can also tell that their quality has gone down a bit. The new yuki's that hit hold have some pretty ugly fur and it feels like they stuck on some scraps onto exclusives just so that you would buy them.
5∞ Flickr

Fashion hurts pussyboi
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2011
1445 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
SlicedUpBeef wrote:
Jan 28th, 2012 11:43 pm

They should make a kingdom hearts 3.. been waiting for too long
5∞ Flickr

Fashion hurts pussyboi
Jan 12, 2012
354 posts
6 upvotes
Firebolt wrote:
Jan 29th, 2012 12:35 am
Made in Canada was always a selling point of Canada Goose. It's advertised everywhere for the company and I think it's great for them. People have chirped Goose for having their gloves and other accessories made in China. Gooses have been popular for a long time. It first started in Scandinavia around 2000, during their snow goose/Canada goose years, and slowly trickled it's way into the North American market. It made a big boom in sales in 2008 here and ever since you can notice it's constant price increases. From what used to be a 400-500 jacket is now being sold for much higher. Just last year they had a $50 hike on the chilliwack and their more popular models. It's not surprising with the current demand that they're taking the risk with another price hike so close. You cannot deny they have started catering towards mainstream with fashion jackets and celebrity collabs. You can also tell that their quality has gone down a bit. The new yuki's that hit hold have some pretty ugly fur and it feels like they stuck on some scraps onto exclusives just so that you would buy them.
On the nose. Suspect fur pelts for 2011 season. Next price increase is crazy consumer wise. $600 for a 2012 Chilliwack? Wake up people.
Jan 30, 2011
65 posts
56 upvotes
Firebolt wrote:
Jan 29th, 2012 12:38 am
They should make a kingdom hearts 3.. been waiting for too long
The disproportionate figures and the inccorporation of Disney characters is a turn off to me
kingofwale wrote:
Jan 29th, 2012 12:24 am
Tifa is more iconic... Kinda wish SE would be smarten up and remake the bloody game. It has been top 1-2 games on Japanese gamer's wish-list for decades now. *sighs*

We can always check back on it 5 years down the road. ;) , I've ready been here for 3 years and I'm sure I will still be as cheap as I am right now for a long time to come. LOL (RFD 4 life). ;)
SE has too many projects coming down the road, the release of FFXIII-2, and the FF fabula nova crystallis series. If SE remade such a monumental game like FF7, gamers would appreciate it much more.

Don't worry, I feel the same. That almost adrenaline feeling when you know you got a good deal, undescribable!
Apr 30, 2007
865 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto