Fashion & Beauty

Locked: The Official Canada Goose Authenticity / Legit Check Thread

Jan 12, 2012
354 posts
6 upvotes
abolesco1 wrote: Hey, what do you guys think of the Citadel Parka? Pros and Cons...yea I am the guy with the chateu parka from before(who got a great deal ;) but I think slim insulated small is just a bit more snug than I want...I see citadel is ultimately the expedition in a slimmer fit? Thanks!

The Citadel is a bit longer than the Chateau with velcro tabs on the front. It's essentially the Expedition if the Expedition was a slim fit coat. It will fit identical to the Chateau so you'll want to go for a Medium if you find the Small snug.
Jan 15, 2012
215 posts
19 upvotes
Calgary
TheGZA wrote: The Citadel is a bit longer than the Chateau with velcro tabs on the front. It's essentially the Expedition if the Expedition was a slim fit coat. It will fit identical to the Chateau so you'll want to go for a Medium if you find the Small snug.
I am really looking into replacing my Expedition with the Citadel but I am not sure how the Citadel fits, never heard of anyone owning one in RFD or even local here. The Expedition in Small fits like a Large, and I am guessing a Citadel in Small will fit like the Hybridge or Lodge in Small
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
1905 posts
148 upvotes
First sighting of a fake Chateau?

I was looking through ebay listings and saw this Chateau at a pretty low price. At the time, only the first two pictures were available so I asked the seller if he had close-up pics of the patch and tags. He then added the latter 3 pictures, one of which is the outer patch. From the picture, you can see connecting thread between the words, which is usually an indication of a fake. What do you guys think?

I've been seeing more and more fakes coming out of Quebec.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10983 posts
2915 upvotes
BananaWeed wrote: First sighting of a fake Chateau?

I was looking through ebay listings and saw this Chateau at a pretty low price. At the time, only the first two pictures were available so I asked the seller if he had close-up pics of the patch and tags. He then added the latter 3 pictures, one of which is the outer patch. From the picture, you can see connecting thread between the words, which is usually an indication of a fake. What do you guys think?

I've been seeing more and more fakes coming out of Quebec.

can you show us the pictures they sent you?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
Haha, we did the same thing. I spotted that one earlier this afternoon and only the first two photos were available. I asked the seller for more. I just checked my e-mail just now and he indicated that he added another three. I had a suspicion based on the original two photos, and the other three confirmed in my mind that it was not authentic.

It's RFD's first fake Chateau sighting. Finally. Therefore I saved the photos, because auction photos don't last forever.

When I first saw this first photo, I had a sneaking suspicion based on the very wrinkly material. The material on fakes has gotten better but this one reminds me of the older replicas with very low quality material.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/n ... fake01.jpg[/IMG]

The fur also looked suspicious. It's thick and full, but the colour and perceived texture didn't look like coyote.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/n ... fake02.jpg[/IMG]

Below, note the loose threads sticking out along the perimeter of the black rectangle. Also note the sloppy inconsistently-sized font on the Arctic Program disc, where it reads CANADA which is quite a common sight on fakes. Sometimes it's other letters that are out of place, but oddly enough it's usually that A that I've seen the most.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/n ... fake03.jpg[/IMG]

Below is the best giveaway photo that it is fake. Just like the countless counterfeit Arctic Program discs we've seen already, it has the sloppy stitching, interconnected letters, and ill-shaped maple leaves that we like to easily spot.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/n ... fake04.jpg[/IMG]

We keep seeing the below hangtags on counterfeit jackets but no authentic hangtags have ever looked like these. Who knows what the counterfeiters are trying to replicate. Check ghostfacechilla's original post in this very thread for reference, where he shows photos of the hangtags through the years.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/n ... fake05.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2011
1762 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Good catch guys, another fake to check off the list
Fashion hurts p░ ░ ░yboi - KimchiTacos_
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10983 posts
2915 upvotes
it's getting harder and harder to tell fakes, *sighs*
Jan 12, 2012
354 posts
6 upvotes
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote: Haha, we did the same thing. I spotted that one earlier this afternoon and only the first two photos were available. I asked the seller for more. I just checked my e-mail just now and he indicated that he added another three. I had a suspicion based on the original two photos, and the other three confirmed in my mind that it was not authentic.

It's RFD's first fake Chateau sighting. Finally. Therefore I saved the photos, because auction photos don't last forever.

When I first saw this first photo, I had a sneaking suspicion based on the very wrinkly material. The material on fakes has gotten better but this one reminds me of the older replicas with very low quality material.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/n ... fake01.jpg[/IMG]

The fur also looked suspicious. It's thick and full, but the colour and perceived texture didn't look like coyote.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/n ... fake02.jpg[/IMG]

Below, note the loose threads sticking out along the perimeter of the black rectangle. Also note the sloppy inconsistently-sized font on the Arctic Program disc, where it reads CANADA which is quite a common sight on fakes. Sometimes it's other letters that are out of place, but oddly enough it's usually that A that I've seen the most.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/n ... fake03.jpg[/IMG]

Below is the best giveaway photo that it is fake. Just like the countless counterfeit Arctic Program discs we've seen already, it has the sloppy stitching, interconnected letters, and ill-shaped maple leaves that we like to easily spot.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/n ... fake04.jpg[/IMG]

We keep seeing the below hangtags on counterfeit jackets but no authentic hangtags have ever looked like these. Who knows what the counterfeiters are trying to replicate. Check ghostfacechilla's original post in this very thread for reference, where he shows photos of the hangtags through the years.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/n ... fake05.jpg[/IMG]
Everything CGFA points out are enough signs this coat is fake. Another telling sign is that the seller has listed a 'buy it now' price of $340. Huge red flag. That's way below what this coat would normally go for after a full auction.

It's official. The Chateau is now being faked. What a shame.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
1905 posts
148 upvotes
Yeah, I was also suspicious just from seeing the first two pics and the listing price. The counterfeiters have good taste in faking the Chateau. ;)

I'll still keep an eye out for a medium Langford. Hopefully that doesn't get faked.

I wonder why they don't fake the jackets without fur trim - demand not high enough? Materials too technical?
Jan 23, 2012
7 posts
Toronto
Ended up with a size M bomber in women's its a bit roomy but i like it that way…. and got the chocolate brown colour i didn't get the red or black i wanted i was unsure when i saw it was the only one left but once i tried it on i liked it more… and i always see people wearing the black so i guess its good i got a colour i don't see as much. Happy with my purchase!
AND yes the SAIL store in Vaughan they only have 1 left in women's and 2 or 3 in the mens its a super nice store.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
BananaWeed wrote: I'll still keep an eye out for a medium Langford. Hopefully that doesn't get faked.
I was eager to try one on at the beginning of this season and I saw quite a few in various stores but could not find sizes smaller than a medium, and I am confident a small is my Langford size based on its "slim insulated" cut. Anyway, it's such a new jacket, released just this 2011-2012 season, so it may take some time to see them counterfeited.

A bonus with this season's newly introduced models such as the Langford and Citadel is that ALL of them will have the hologram label sewn inside the jacket since this is also the year that this nice anti-counterfeit identifier was introduced. If we eventually see a Langford or Citadel WITHOUT the hologram, it might be very easy and quick to spot as a fake.
BananaWeed wrote: I wonder why they don't fake the jackets without fur trim - demand not high enough? Materials too technical?

Likely it's due to the popularity of the jackets WITH fur. Plus, the vast majority of the Canada Goose winter jackets have fur as part of their design. Just looking at the Men's Arctic Program Collection reveals that the Constable is the only proper jacket that doesn't have fur. The Freestyle vest obviously is not a jacket but I posted a fake sighting earlier in this thread. Same goes for the Women's Arctic Program Collection of which the female Constable is the only jacket without fur. And we still haven't seen counterfeit Special Collection fur-less pieces such as the Manitoba and Alberta from the men's side and the Palliser and Thompson from the women's side, but the overarching idea is that the counterfeiters have yet to attempt replicating anything from the Special Collection for a start. Anything with a non-standard-coloured Arctic Program disc seems to be immune for now.
TheGZA wrote: It's official. The Chateau is now being faked. What a shame.

Strange that it's been a long time coming and finally it popped up. It was inevitable though. Any predictions or guesses as to the next faked model? Ontario, Constable, or Resolute? These styles have been around for some time, yet I am not sure we've seen any counterfeits of them yet.

EDIT: Roll call. Throughout this thread, we have seen at least one of the following being counterfeited. Click on the underlined text to jump straight to the relevant posts with photos and analyses:

-Chilliwack (both men's and women's) - Not going to bother providing any links. We know what they look like because they're so common.
-Expedition - Not going to provide any links, because they're the second most replicated jacket after the Chilliwack.
-Trillium and another Trillium
-Montebello
-Kensington and analysis 1 and analysis 2
-Snow Mantra and analysis
-Chateau analysis and further analysis
-Banff - Unfortunately I was not fast enough to save photos before all three listings expired for fake Banff examples we have seen so far in this thread (as of this writing). I apologize.
-Freestyle
-Solaris
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2007
1373 posts
664 upvotes
North York
originalgoods13 wrote: I am really looking into replacing my Expedition with the Citadel but I am not sure how the Citadel fits, never heard of anyone owning one in RFD or even local here. The Expedition in Small fits like a Large, and I am guessing a Citadel in Small will fit like the Hybridge or Lodge in Small

I bought one for my brother as a gift and he loves it. He is about 175cm and 65kg...S is perfect for me! I would say follow the measurement on the sizing chart cuz it's pretty accurate for myself and my brother.

It's $695 if you get it now but some US sites have it for $795...that's $100 in price increase! get it now
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
Here is a $200 Snow Goose Resolute. Missing the fur but authentic as counterfeiters did not spring into action this early in the company history. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNOW-GOOSE-CANA ... 2ebb19fad8

Shipped from California. Must get pretty cold there. :lol:

Earlier in this thread, we saw this horrible fake Expedition: merged-official-canada-goose-authentici ... st14149565

Extensive analysis was given by kingofwale, TheGZA, myself, me again with supplemental details, and me spotting yet more details.

It has returned: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANADA-GOOSE-EX ... 3f131efb66

Please, I hope nobody bids on it. The listing states:
!!! THIS CANADA GOOSE EXPEDITION PARKA WAS RECEIVED AS A PRESENT FROM SWEDEN !!
AS HARDLY WORN - WITHOUT ANY TAGS, RECEIPTS OF PURCHASING AND PREHISTORY LEGEND
THAT'S THE REASON WHY I CAN'T GUARANTEE 100% AUTHENTICITY OF THIS GARMENT
WHAT GENERALLY ANSWERS THE DESCRIPTIONS OF GENUINE
CANADA GOOSE EXPEDITION PARKA

*** RE - LISTED ITEM ***
( THE WINNER OF THE PREVIOUS AUCTION CHANGED HIS MIND ABOUT THIS GARMENT ]
If that doesn't steer you away from it, see the extensive analyses I linked a couple paragraphs above.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo

Absolutely not. I highly advise anyone to stay away from purchasing from vendors like these.

Check out http://www.canada-goose.com/where-to-buy/ for a list of your local authorized dealers or http://hosted.where2getit.com/canadagoo ... ilers.html for a list of authorized online dealers.

Or, become a hunter for secondhand market goods. Looking for an authentic product at bargain bin prices, this whole thread is essentially dedicated to that. Here is my guide to get started: merged-official-canada-goose-authentici ... st14149961

Here is a guide on negotiation to help you get bottom dollar: merged-official-canada-goose-authentici ... st14070098

Here is a roll call on the styles that we have seen replicated so far:

EDIT: Roll call. Throughout this thread, we have seen at least one of the following being counterfeited. Click on the underlined text to jump straight to the relevant posts with photos and analyses:

-Chilliwack (both men's and women's) - Not going to bother providing any links. We know what they look like because they're so common.
-Expedition - Not going to provide any links, because they're the second most replicated jacket after the Chilliwack.
-Trillium and another Trillium
-Montebello
-Kensington and analysis 1 and analysis 2
-Snow Mantra and analysis
-Chateau analysis and further analysis
-Banff - Unfortunately I was not fast enough to save photos before all three listings expired for fake Banff examples we have seen so far in this thread (as of this writing). I apologize.
-Freestyle
-Solaris
Jan 30, 2011
73 posts
56 upvotes
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote: A few months ago, I had the opportunity to buy a Freestyle vest, size extra large, for $80 from a Kijiji seller. It was an older model with the Heli-Arctic maple leaf on the chest instead of the current version that has the Arctic Program disc, and it was in excellent condition. I don't know why I didn't snap it up to resell considering the average price for a Freestyle on eBay is around $200. :facepalm:

CGFA, I don't mean to bring up an ancient passage in the book of CG knowledge (obviously this thread.) I was just reading up some of the guides you contributed to this thread and stumbled upon your find, I actually purchased a 2010 XL freestyle vest on craigslist for $90 in perfect condition to flip :lol: . It's been roughly 3 days since i've had it on kijiji, and to be brutally honest with you. I barely get one message a day asking about the vest. This is probably due to the size, since CG runs so big and the majority of the community can't fit XL. Then again, It could just be the price I set it at or me being impatient because I used to limit myself to only flip XS Chilliwacks, and man were those easy to sell; my inbox would be bursting with emails referring to the jacket.

EDIT: Also, impressive analysis of the Chateau, sadly the fur actually looks quite promising from afar
I also briefly dug up some of the discussions about the crest in this thread. Looks as if it's established that the font, interconnecting threads, and shape of the leaves lack quality in comparison to the authentic ones. I analyzed my jackets just in case and I noticed that the older CG crests with the TM rather than the R generally have thicker leaves. I don't know if this has been discussed before, but if it not, it might be important to address it. The reason why I say generally is because the crests between my two Air Force bombers are both different. They're basically identical jackets other than the size. The leaves on my XXS are the standard defined leaves used now while my L seems to have the thicker leaves. I honestly doubt it's an authenticity issue though. I'm not saying this just to defend my title, but from what I've learned throughout these 2 years dealing with CG and reading this thread, there are absolutely no tell told signs that either of my AFBs are replicas. If anyone's curious to what I'm talking about, I can post some photos in macro.
Dec 28, 2009
863 posts
36 upvotes
The fake chateau looks so real I don't thing I could have tell the difference if it weren't for CCFA pointing it out. I think I need to wait until spring for new shipping of CG to arrive. Don't seem to have much luck finding a nice chilliwack or Chateau at a reasonable price.
Jan 23, 2012
7 posts
Toronto
I also was wondering what these Moose Knuckle Jackets are i never heard of them till yesterday when i was at that SAIL store…. are they better then CG? How long has this MK company been around? Whats so good about these jackets? I noticed the price of it was already higher then the CG jackets???
I was thinking of grabbing one before they get popular and the price sky rockets…. can anyone tell me a bit about this MK company VS CG? THANKS
Dec 28, 2009
863 posts
36 upvotes
I'm 5,10, 140 pound what size would I need if I am going to buy a Chateau? I'm a xs in Chilliwack
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
SlicedUpBeef wrote: CGFA, I don't mean to bring up an ancient passage in the book of CG knowledge (obviously this thread.) I was just reading up some of the guides you contributed to this thread and stumbled upon your find, I actually purchased a 2010 XL freestyle vest on craigslist for $90 in perfect condition to flip :lol: . It's been roughly 3 days since i've had it on kijiji, and to be brutally honest with you. I barely get one message a day asking about the vest. This is probably due to the size, since CG runs so big and the majority of the community can't fit XL. Then again, It could just be the price I set it at or me being impatient because I used to limit myself to only flip XS Chilliwacks, and man were those easy to sell; my inbox would be bursting with emails referring to the jacket.
Do you also have it up on eBay? Here is the list of recently Completed Listings. The lowest one that actually sold went for $182. Double profits from your $90 initial outlay of cash.
SlicedUpBeef wrote: EDIT: Also, impressive analysis of the Chateau, sadly the fur actually looks quite promising from afar
I also briefly dug up some of the discussions about the crest in this thread. Looks as if it's established that the font, interconnecting threads, and shape of the leaves lack quality in comparison to the authentic ones. I analyzed my jackets just in case and I noticed that the older CG crests with the TM rather than the R generally have thicker leaves. I don't know if this has been discussed before, but if it not, it might be important to address it. The reason why I say generally is because the crests between my two Air Force bombers are both different. They're basically identical jackets other than the size. The leaves on my XXS are the standard defined leaves used now while my L seems to have the thicker leaves. I honestly doubt it's an authenticity issue though. I'm not saying this just to defend my title, but from what I've learned throughout these 2 years dealing with CG and reading this thread, there are absolutely no tell told signs that either of my AFBs are replicas. If anyone's curious to what I'm talking about, I can post some photos in macro.
I'm stretching quite a bit when I say I haven't seen any counterfeit Air Force bombers and Squadron jackets as there is a chance they both were discontinued before the counterfeit explosion hit. My history is shaky but do you have any idea what exact years Canada Goose discontinued both these jackets?

I personally would love to see good photo examples of ™ and ® Arctic Program discs with maple leaves in different stages of the company's evolution. I have some Snow Goose discs and the latest ® discs but nothing in between. Here are my three Snow Goose discs. Note the different shaped maple leaves especially compared to the fourth photo, the current generation ® disc.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/n ... _old68.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/n ... _old13.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/n ... _old12.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/n ... ose/16.jpg[/IMG]
bondjames wrote: The fake chateau looks so real I don't thing I could have tell the difference if it weren't for CCFA pointing it out. I think I need to wait until spring for new shipping of CG to arrive. Don't seem to have much luck finding a nice chilliwack or Chateau at a reasonable price.

Glad you found the analysis useful. :) I believe new seasons start shipping around July or August but check with your local authorized retailers about when they will receive new stock. Late summer and early fall are your best bet to see the maximum amount of new jackets in stores before the cold weather hits and people really clamor for whatever's in stock.

I personally am looking forward to springtime though, when HOPEFULLY people will be looking to unload jackets and it's not a seller's market. I still can't believe I scooped up a $150 Snow Goose Resolute and a $200 Snow Goose Snow Mantra in summer/fall 2011. Of course, now that it's winter, I haven't had any good finds since then, except maybe that female Chilliwack that I am hoping to see tonight. Anyway, I predict excellent things for you guys in Toronto come springtime, given how many of you have reported that it's been quite a mild winter and you haven't had much of a chance to wear down jackets. I'm praying that some owners will believe their jackets are overkill and will decide to sell them to you for low prices. Then, flip them the following winter during the seller's market (when people are in a buying frenzy) when the dreadfully anticipated 18% price hike happens, and enjoy some profit. :)
Jersey28 wrote: I also was wondering what these Moose Knuckle Jackets are i never heard of them till yesterday when i was at that SAIL store…. are they better then CG? How long has this MK company been around? Whats so good about these jackets? I noticed the price of it was already higher then the CG jackets???
I was thinking of grabbing one before they get popular and the price sky rockets…. can anyone tell me a bit about this MK company VS CG? THANKS

Fortunately we have a huge ongoing discussion thread on Moose Knuckles that would probably greatly interest you! I personally don't consider any of these jacket companies "better" than another. It's all a matter of personal taste and I am actually quite glad there are alternatives to Canada Goose so people have a wider range of jackets from which to choose. Anyway, check out that thread I linked at the beginning of this paragraph. I believe you will find some company history, discussion of quality and fit, and owner reviews (refer to the clickable underlined link in my signature below to jump straight to BananaWeed's compiled reviews sorted alphabetically by manufacturer).

Since you are female, there is some general consensus amongst the males here that Moose Knuckles seems to be more appropriate for women to wear. Lucky you. ;)
bondjames wrote: I'm 5,10, 140 pound what size would I need if I am going to buy a Chateau? I'm a xs in Chilliwack

I am virtually the same as you. I have an XS Chilliwack and I would personally buy a small Chateau. I bought the XS Chilliwack when I was 140lbs, and I'm now eleven pounds heavier and it still fits the same. I first tried on a small Chateau last year when I was 140lbs and recently tried on another Chateau at my current weight and it still fits just the same.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)