Sports & Recreation

[Merged] [OFFICIAL] POST your snowboard gear and questions here!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2023 2:10 pm
May 2, 2005
716 posts
159 upvotes
Don't know much about the board other than what's in the ad; decent price but I would suggest the board is not for you. If you are used to camber, stick with it. Generally speaking, rocker profile is better suited for park and pow and it sounds like you won't see much of either. You will carve and flat-base better on your camber board. Maybe you'll see some nice pow in VT but if most of your time is on groomers, you're better off with camber or maybe a hybrid profile to help on those icy days.
May 2, 2005
716 posts
159 upvotes
Boots all depend on what works for your particular foot. You can narrow that down to a manuf, then start looking for their stiffer boots. 32s run wide don't they? BTW, I've heard 32s tend to have a short lifespan so I'm not surprised you're finding them mushy. Do you find the Targas stiff? If so, you might be more comfy pairing with a not-so-stiff boot just for less fatigue.

There's always lots of discounts on gloves/mitts so never pay retail, even for Burtons. Heard good things about their AK line for warmth. I never get cold hands riding so I can't offer much but I have learned to stick with leather -- durable and keeps you dry. Or some Gortex. Check out boardroomshop for some mitts on sale. Want to try a trigger finger mitt? I've been looking at the Celtek Trippin Pro. I have a couple of pairs of Celtek -- one gloves, one mitts, and have been happy with them. Warm for me but do research on them if you run cold.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 22, 2003
6429 posts
2212 upvotes
Can anyone suggest a place to get a snowboard tuned up? North York preferred. Thanks!
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
Pyro wrote: Can anyone suggest a place to get a snowboard tuned up? North York preferred. Thanks!
Try Sanction on Steeles west of Yonge.
Jan 1, 2007
236 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
Hi guys. newbie here. I just bought a ~10 year old Burton Custom snowboard + bindings off kijiji and just realized that the bindings are "Switch - Special X". After some research, it looks like not all boots fit these bindings? Wanted to confirm if just any boots will fit these bindings. Also, do all bindings fit all snowboards? Will I be able to purchase any bindings that would fit my snowboard? Thanks.
Apr 12, 2009
466 posts
115 upvotes
Switch were what is called step in bindings. I believe they stop making those a long time ago. You need special boots to go with those bindings and due to their age they will be hard to find. MIght as well put them in the garbage.

As for if any bindings will fit your board you need to look at the hole pattern. Burton boards often have the special burton hole patern. All the other board companies have the holes that are even with each other as they go down the board as opposed to burton where its kind of a triangle pattern. If you buy non burton bindings just make sure they come with burton disks (round piece that goes at the bottom of the binding) to make them compatible with burton boards. Most companies will offer this. You can also just go to sportcheck and get a cheap set of burton freestyle bindings.

Hope that clears things up.
Oct 18, 2011
38 posts
2 upvotes
MARKHAM
What is the approx cost for a board tuneup (wax and edge)? Any recommendation in Markham or RH?
Jan 27, 2008
875 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
svrmetro wrote: What is the approx cost for a board tuneup (wax and edge)? Any recommendation in Markham or RH?
Station Ski and Ride, across Markham GO station. They did a good job last time and maybe cost $30-40, incl edge. Give them a call.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2006
2188 posts
509 upvotes
Where is the best place to get boots?
Some people meditate, I smoke cigars.
Apr 26, 2010
923 posts
187 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Heads up, selling a extra ticket to Horseshoe valley that i bought off on groupon
$40 all day pass, good for mon-fri & sun, restrictions saturday riding, expires on feb 1st
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3849 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
anyone been up to blue much this year? how was the condition? i haven't had the desire to get there this year yet since this winter has been pretty mild.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2006
2188 posts
509 upvotes
RedLego wrote: Heads up, selling a extra ticket to Horseshoe valley that i bought off on groupon
$40 all day pass, good for mon-fri & sun, restrictions saturday riding, expires on feb 1st

Do you still have this available? I am located in Aurora, can meet up.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2006
2188 posts
509 upvotes
Which resort is better and more tamer for a beginner boarder like myself?

Horseshoe or Snow Valley?
Jul 15, 2009
162 posts
15 upvotes
Markham
Just a heads up. I got my snowboard waxed and tuned by a guy in Markham that I found off kijiji. It was a solid job and only costs 20$ instead of the 45$ at Station Ski and Ride (my usual go to). He even sanded down the dings on the top.

Edit:received several pm about which kijiji ad it is. It's the one located near hwy 7/mccowan.

Also, if anyone has a car and wants to carpool to blue during the weekdays, send me a pm.
Jul 15, 2009
162 posts
15 upvotes
Markham
cns187 wrote: Which resort is better and more tamer for a beginner boarder like myself?

Horseshoe or Snow Valley?
Snow valley would be better IMO. People are 'nicer' and the trails aren't quite as steep.
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
MoonDoggy wrote: anyone been up to blue much this year? how was the condition? i haven't had the desire to get there this year yet since this winter has been pretty mild.
Blue has been having awesome conditions since the second week of January. Doubt it will get worse any time before April.
Jan 30, 2014
269 posts
32 upvotes
Ontario
greenmoon wrote: Blue has been having awesome conditions since the second week of January. Doubt it will get worse any time before April.
This is good to know as I "might" plan to go first weeks of Feb. Work and home has me very busy!
Feb 19, 2009
587 posts
77 upvotes
USA
planning to go on Saturday to Blue, probably in the evening. If anyone wnats to carpool, let me know! (from GTA)
Jan 5, 2009
430 posts
37 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Hi guys. I want to ask a question about boot overhand on a board. Mine is about 1.5-1.75 inch over the board. The toe part. I plan to test it on a hill tomorrow but do you think this is too big. I'm going to mess around with the heel and see if I can pull it back a bit more. My boot is size 10.5f and the board is a K2 raygun 256cm. I'm a beginner still learning how to make turns.

Here are some picture

http://imgur.com/5B8cZI7,fnEHrgT,UNbHOD ... ,Wq7A3NH#0

edit - I played around with the disc in the bindings and I'm able to reduce the toe size length. I can reduce it to just slightly over 1inch. Looks more even on the toe and the heel. Just have to figure out a boot angle and stance.